Fifty Years of Fear & Loathing.

Chapter 7: July 1971.
Thursday, July 1st, 1971: Ohio’s legislature ratifies the 26th amendment to the constitution, giving it the necessary majority of states needed for ratification. The White House confirms the President will certify the amendment in the coming days. The 26th amendment, upon formal certification, will go into effect immediately. The amendment’s provisions set the voting age at 18, lowering it from 21.

Friday, July 2nd, 1971: Romanian leader Nicolae Ceausescu issues the “July Theses” in a speech before the Central Committee of the Romanian Communist Party. The speech calls for a cultural revolution in Romania, in which all art, architecture, and culture was to be reshaped to propagate the values of the ruling party. Perhaps the most independent minded of the Eastern Bloc leaders, Ceausescu’s desire to embrace what he calls “national communism” was inspired by his tour of China and North Korea, where he met personally with Mao Zedong and Kim Ill Sung respectively. Impressed by the pervasive personality cults established under these regimes, Ceausescu uses the July Theses to establish one of his own.

Saturday, July 3rd, 1971: Jim Morrison, lead singer of the rock group The Doors, is found dead in Paris at the age of 27. His death is later ruled to be the result of an accidental overdose on an “eight ball” that contained heroin and cocaine, amongst other substances.

Monday, July 5th, 1971: President Nixon certifies the 26th amendment to the constitution at a ceremony at Philadelphia’s Independence Hall, which results in the voting age being reduced to 18. The President is hopeful that his decision to support efforts to lower the voting age will be appreciated by young voters as his reelection campaign looms in the foreground.

Tuesday, July 6th, 1971: Legendary jazz musician Louis Armstrong dies at the age of 69 in New York, hours after completing a concert at the Waldorf-Astoria. An autopsy later reveals that Armstrong had died suddenly from a heart attack while alone in his hotel room.

Wednesday, July 7th, 1971: Hastings Kamazu Banda is declared President-for-Life of Malawi by the country’s parliament; unlike most leaders in Africa, Banda is one of the few outwardly pro-western leaders and has been controversial amongst his peers for his willingness to engage diplomatically with the apartheid regimes in Rhodesia and South Africa.

Thursday, July 8th, 1971: While on a fact-finding tour of the Middle East, National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger falls ill and reportedly has taken refuge at a remote mountain resort near the country’s capital. In reality, this is only a cover story for his actual mission. After arriving in Pakistan, Kissinger was in reality shuttled by private jet from Islamabad to Peking, where he is hosted for three days by Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai for top-secret high-level negotiations.

Friday, July 9th, 1971: Louisiana Governor John McKeithen travels to New Hampshire, where he finds a rather cold reception. After appearing at three sparsely attended events, the McKeithen campaign determines that the best way forward is to pull all resources from the state and focus on other early primary states such as Florida.

Saturday, July 10th, 1971: National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger quietly returns to Washington from Peking, with journalists and the public entirely in the dark about the real nature of his three-day disappearance from public view.

In Morocco, soldiers inspired by Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi launch an abortive coup against King Hassan II, storming the palace during his birthday party in a violent attack on the royal family. The army manages to put down the coup attempt, with a number of top-ranking generals and officers being detained on suspicion of involvement in the plot.

Henry Kissinger.
Sunday, July 11th, 1971:
Washington, D.C.
The White House.
10:33 A.M.​

1712359322977.png
“The situation in…um…Red China” said Kissinger, who looked directly at Vice President Agnew when he used the latter two words, “is stabilizing. The influence of Lin Biao has seemed to pacify Madame Mao’s most destructive instincts.” Gathered around him in his West Wing office was a small cabal of White House Staffers, all of whom were keen on getting the details from the man himself about his secretive summit with the Chinese Premier. Present were Vice President Agnew, who despite being the #2 to the President was as out of the loop as everyone else, speechwriter Patrick Buchanan, Deputy National Security Adviser Al Haig, and presidential adviser John Ehrlichman. Chief of Staff Haldeman was out of the office, enjoying the morning with his family. So was the President, who was tucked away at Camp David with his wife, daughters, and sons-in-laws.

“The influence of Lin Biao over the army is critical” continued Kissinger, “it is a moderating force that has kept the frenzied masses at bay several times. But while Lin offers stability, he does not offer an opportunity.”

“Why is that?”
asked Haig.

“He is an orthodox Maoist, one committed to the cause of the Chinese revolution and the proliferation of global communism. And he is ruthlessly competent in a way that even the Chairman envies.”

“Did you meet him or encounter him at all?”
asked Buchanan.

“No, only Zhou. Neither Lin nor Mao were present, and I never entertained any expectation of meeting either…not on this trip, at least.”

“You’ve been invited back?”
asked Ehrlichman, perplexed.

“Yes” answered Kissinger, “in October. But there’s more than that.”

“There is?”
asked a confused Haig, who was only seeing his superior for the first time since Kissinger’s return to Washington only a few hours before.

“They invited me back in October to further discuss the possibility of establishing diplomatic relations.”

The room fell silent for a second as the staffers took in this historic news; only Buchanan, the West Wing’s most arch anti-communist, spoke up.

“How are you even talking to the Reds at all?” asked Pat, perplexed by the

“The Ping Pong team” answered Kissinger, who continued “it was through them, God knows why, that the Chairman chose to open the lines of communication.”

“So you’ll be going to China in October?”
asked Pat once again, still trying to make sense of the stunning revelation from Kissinger.

“Yes, I will be returning to Peking then” continued Kissinger, “but I won’t be the only one going to China.”

There was a stunned pause for a moment as the others took in the historic nature of what they knew Kissinger would be saying next.

“The President has been extended, and has accepted, an invitation from the Chairman himself to visit the People’s Republic of China.”

“This October?”
inquired Haig. “No” Kissinger replied, “the details of such a momentous state visit will need to be worked out. It will likely not take place until 1972.”

“When will this be announced?” asked Ehrlichman. Haldeman signaled his interest in his counterpart’s question.

“Next week”Kissinger answered confidently, even though the President himself had not yet decided on how to convey such monumental news to the public.

Monday, July 12th, 1971: Two days after a violent coup attempt against King Hassan II failed, the government of Morocco severs diplomatic relations with the Libyan Arab Republic after accusing Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi of sponsoring the coup attempt.

Tuesday, July 13th, 1971: The Jordanian army is deployed to several Palestinian refugee camps in order to root out various Palestinian militias that have been growing on Jordanian soil in recent months. The decision of King Hussein to deploy the military against the Palestinian factions leads to Islamists in the country accusing the King of being too cozy towards western interests.

Wednesday, July 14th, 1971: Members of the Irish Republican Army kill a British soldier in the Andersontown district of Belfast. It is the latest fatal attack on the British military in this violence plagued corner of the United Kingdom.

Thursday, July 15th, 1971: President Nixon stuns the world when he announces in a televised speech from the Oval Office that he has accepted an invitation from Zhou Enlai to visit the People’s Republic of China.

Friday, July 16th, 1971: Senator Hubert Humphrey (D-MN) tells the Minneapolis Tribune that he has “no active plan” to enter the Democratic presidential primaries, but also affirms that he would accept the presidential nomination of the party should he be drafted into the race at the convention. Humphrey also states that he is “pleased by his prospects” should he hypothetically enter the primary race, a statement which effectively gives his supporters the go-ahead to continue with their draft efforts.

Sunday, July 18th, 1971: The Trucial States, a collection of six Arab Sheikhdoms on the coast of the Persian Gulf, is formed after the British military withdraws from the oil rich region. The six respective Sheikhs, who were effectively the rulers of a string of small British protectorates, begin negotiating amongst themselves to form what will later become the United Arab Emirates.

Monday, July 19th, 1971: Major Hashem al-Atta leads an attempted coup in Sudan with other leftist aligned military officers against the regime of military dictator Jaafar Nimeiry; the coup crumbles after briefly seizing the presidential palace in Khartoum and al-Atta is quickly captured and executed by forces loyal to Nimeiry.

Wednesday, July 21st, 1971: New York’s Republican Mayor John Lindsey criticizes President Nixon in a lengthy op-ed published by the New York Times, in which he lambasts the administration for “betraying the confidence of millions of progressive Republicans” and called for the party to return to it’s “Roosevelt roots.”

Friday, July 23rd, 1971: Jorge Pacheco Areco is impeached by the Uruguayan legislature for suppressing the civil liberties of citizens following an upsurge in militant leftist activity in the country earlier in the year.

Saturday, July 24th, 1971: The New York Times runs a piece entitled “Can a Negro Woman be President?” authored by Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm. While the New York Congresswoman denies interest in running for President herself despite a growing draft movement, the Congresswoman none the less calls on the United States government to “resemble and not only just represent the collective masses.”

Sunday, July 25th, 1971: The Al-Badr brigade, a paramilitary death squad of East Pakistani Muslims who oppose the independence of Bangladesh, murder 150 men in a brutal massacre in the village of Shohaghpur, before sexually abusing their widows in a display of graphic brutality which shocks the western world. Bengali liberation fighters vow to avenge their fallen comrades, praising them as martyrs and calling for increased public resistance to the West Pakistani regime’s ongoing implementation of martial law.

Monday, July 26th, 1971: Apollo 15 is launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida. It is the latest manned mission to the moon launched by the United States.

Tuesday, July 27th, 1971: President Nixon presents former First Lady Mamie Eisenhower with the first minted Eisenhower dollar coin at a White House ceremony. The coin, which was minted in honor of the late 34th President, was commissioned after Eisenhower’s death in 1969.

John McKeithen.
Wednesday, July 28th, 1971:
Jacksonville, FL.
2:25 P.M.

now21919_1200x.jpg
Running for President was hard work, but fortunately for J.J. McKeithen, his appeal of “won’t ‘ya help me?” seemed to be paying off. Checks big and small had been pouring into his hastily organized campaign’s headquarters in Baton Rouge, and the folksy Louisiana Governor had been the talk of the town up in Washington after announcing his presidential campaign during a live television interview. The second candidate after McGovern to enter the race, McKeithen shared the same playbook as the insurgent prairie progressive who had so dramatically altered the internal dynamics of Democratic presidential politics. He had chosen to avoid the first in the nation primary in New Hampshire, due to the unfamiliar territory and close proximity to neighboring Maine, where the newest frontrunner, Senator Muskie dominated. It would prove to be a smart decision; by avoiding the crowded field in the Granite State, McKeithen was free to campaign vigorously in Florida. Only Governor Wallace and Senator Jackson seemed to have any significant support in the state, and the liberal Governor Reuben Askew – perhaps wanting to weaken Wallace’s grip on the Florida Democratic electorate – even invited his Louisianan counterpart to meet with him at the Governor’s mansion in Tallahassee the day before.

But now the pulls of politics had dragged him to Jacksonville, where he was due to address a large gathering of local Democrats. The only prospective presidential contender to accept their invitation, McKeithen was greeted by an integrated (if still mostly white) crowd of voters who were as curious as anyone else to see the latest rising star within the Democratic field. Already polling just shy of ten percent, McKeithen was gaining momentum, and the size of the crowd ensured that the talk about the Louisiana Governor’s rise would be taken more seriously than just a couple of good polls. With the precision of a surgeon, he refined his stump speech. After a brief introduction by Congressman Charles Bennett, who had already endorsed his candidacy (the first Congressman outside of the Louisiana delegation to do so) it was McKeithen’s turn to step up to the microphone.

“I’m John McKeithen, governor of Louisiana, and you don’t know me from Adam. So, you ask, why should I listen to this fella rant about running for President? Well, friends, I may not be from Jacksonville, but I’m a father who loves his family; I’ve worked hard for all I have, my parents were working folk, just like you. I’m a veteran, I love my country and I’m concerned about the future. That’s why I’m in this race. As governor of Louisiana I did three things; I brought jobs, I improved education and I invited blacks to join us in creating a better state for everyone. I want to bring honesty and hard working values back into the government of the United States. To borrow an old riverboat expression, I want to cut the cards before that Washington crowd deals the next hand. As a hard-working father I want to say my peace about how this country should be going, and what’s gone wrong under Mr. Nixon, and why the lefties aren’t doing much better. I want to leave our country a better place for all of our children. I’m running for President. Won’t you he’p me?”

In a few short sentences, McKeithen had summed up his candidacy in a way that Muskie, Humphrey, McGovern, or Jackson could never dream of. Even the outspoken Alabaman George Wallace, who had a way with words, couldn’t so succinctly sum up the qualifications of his candidacy in such a laymen manner. Of course, there was more to speech – a handful of paragraphs more – which he quickly ran through, but the point had already been made. McKeithen was a bread-and-butter outsider, neither a racial demagogue nor a darling of the New Left, one with cross regional appeal who could challenge Nixon’s stranglehold on the so called “silent majority” by sidelining the looming question of Vietnam to focus on a platform centered around kitchen table issues. As McKeithen finished his address to the gathered crowds, he stepped off stage to an awaiting journalist, who was quick to thrust a tape recorder into his face. He identified himself and his paper, the Jacksonville something, but the noise of the throngs of people gathering around him to shake his hand and perhaps get a picture drowned out most of what he said. The Governor’s son “Fox” McKeithen, a young man of 24 years, stepped in front of the Governor, shielding him briefly while he talked to the journalist.

“Why are you entering the Democratic presidential primaries?” asked the reporter.

“Well, the way I see it” began McKeithen, “if I don’t do it, someone else will. But that someone else might not win. Because that someone else might not be focused on what matters most to the American people.”

“But very few Americans, outside of Louisiana, are aware of your record as Governor and your various accomplishments in office. How do you plan on breaking out in a potentially crowded field?”

“I’m a Governor who improved racial relations in a Jim Crow state. I’m a Governor who built more schools than he did jails. I’m a Governor who made Louisiana a top destination for anyone seeking a good job. In a few years, I’ll be able to brag that I’m the Governor who built the Superdome. Notice a theme here? I’m not a Washington insider who is all talk and no action. I’ve served in an executive role, and I kept all the promises I made.”

“Since announcing your candidacy on national television last month, there has been a surge of interest in your campaign and your vision for the Democratic Party and for America at-large. But there recently have been allegations of your involvement in the cycle of corruption that seems to define Louisiana politics. Do you have any comment on allegations of pay to play cronyism involving associates and members of your administration?”

“I ain’t got nothing to hide”
said McKeithen confidently, “now, if you excuse me, I ‘got some ‘meetin and some ‘greetin to do.”

Friday, July 30th, 1971: All Nippon Airways Flight 58 crashes after colliding with a Japanese air force fighter jet, resulting in all 165 passengers being killed. It is the worst recorded civil aviation disaster in history at that point in time.

Saturday, July 31st, 1971: Apollo 15 successfully lands on the moon, with astronaut David Scott being the first of this mission’s crew to step on to the lunar surface.

Gallup releases new polling ahead of the 1972 election.

Gallup: 1,000 Registered Voters (Nationwide).
(R) Richard Nixon: 43%
(D) Generic Democrat: 41%
Undecided: 13%
Independent/Other: 3%

Gallup: 1,000 Democratic Voters (Nationwide).
Edmund Muskie: 22%
Hubert Humphrey: 20%
George Wallace: 16%
George McGovern: 15%
John McKeithen: 7%
John Lindsey: 7%
Birch Bayh: 5%
Shirley Chisholm: 3%
Henry Jackson: 2%
Eugene McCarthy: 1%
Harold Hughes: 1%
Vance Hartke: 1%

Chapter 8: August 1971.
Sunday, August 1st, 1971: The Concert for Bangladesh, hosted by Beatles musician George Harrison as part of an effort to raise awareness and funding for humanitarian relief in the war torn region of East Pakistan, is held in New York City’s iconic Madison Square Garden. Attended by 40,000 concert-goers, Harrison is joined by Bob Dylan, Leon Russell, Ravi Shankar, Billy Preston, Eric Claption, and Ringo Starr.

Monday, August 2nd, 1971: Secretary of State William Rogers announces that the United States will drop its opposition to the United Nations admitting the People’s Republic of China as a member state but insists that the Republic of China cannot be allowed to be expelled from the body as a result of Red Chinese entry into the organization. The Nixon administration’s willingness to welcome China back into the international community is the latest sign that relations between the two countries are warming.

Tuesday, August 3rd, 1971: The House and Senate pass a joint resolution calling on President Nixon to devalue the dollar. The Congressional resolution cites a report which contends a devaluation would prevent a recession as America’s gold reserves dwindle.

Wednesday, August 4th, 1971: In the wake of a Libyan sponsored coup attempt, King Hassan II of Morocco fires his entire cabinet and effectively abolishes the position of Prime Minister.

Friday, August 6th, 1971: Senator Ed Muskie tells the Boston Herald that he will not base his decision on whether to run for President or not on Senator Humphrey’s role in the race. Though Muskie had been Humphrey’s running mate in 1968, polling shows him slightly ahead of the former VP.

Saturday, August 7th, 1971: Apollo 15 returns to Earth with a successful splashdown in the Pacific after completing their lunar mission.

Sunday, August 8th, 1971: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, a Soviet dissident who has spoken out against the suppression of religion in the Soviet Union and his time in a gulag, is poisoned by the KGB inside a department store in the city of Novocherkassk. Solzhenitsyn survives the poisoning attempt but is severely ill for several days.

Monday, August 9th, 1971: John McKeithen resigns early as Governor of Louisiana in order to focus on his presidential bid. With his term set to expire in January, Lt. Governor Clarence “Taddy” Aycock assumes the office as Governor of Louisiana for the remainder of his term.

Tuesday, August 10th, 1971: In the face of increased militant violence in Northern Ireland, the region’s Prime Minister Brian Faulkner implements martial law. The British military begin rounding up hundreds of suspected militants and Irish Republican Army associates as part of a campaign to curb separatist violence in the volatile region.

Wednesday, August 11th, 1971: New York City Mayor John Lindsey announces he will be leaving the Republican Party and joining the Democratic Party instead. This immediately stokes speculation that the Mayor is weighing a presidential run in 1972. The Mayor denies any interest in seeking the Democratic nomination, but does predict that he could beat President Nixon in a general election should he later choose to run.

Richard Nixon.
Thursday, August 12th, 1971:
Washington, D.C.
The White House.
9:12 A.M.​

History_Speeches_1068_Nixon_Calls_Apollo_11_Astronauts_SF_still_624x352.jpg
ROSEMARY WOODS: Mr. President, I have Doctor Kissinger on the line.

RICHARD NIXON: Put him through.

ROSEMARY WOODS: One moment, Mr. President.

RICHARD NIXON: Thank you Rosemary…

HENRY KISSINGER: Mr. President?

RICHARD NIXON: Morning Henry, I understand you will be returning tonight?

HENRY KISSINGER: Yes, Mr. President, I believe I am due to fly out from Honolulu in a matter of hours. I plan on returning to the office tonight, if you need to see me.

RICHARD NIXON: I don’t think that will be necessary, Henry, but I wanted to tell you that I did get through the memo that Haig left for me –

HENRY KISSINGER: Excellent.

RICHARD NIXON: I saw that Gromyko was down there in India talking to that damned Foreign Minister of theirs –

HENRY KISSINGER: It is a deliberate provocation, Mr. President. The Soviets are luring the Indians with a treaty of friendship and mutual assistance, yanking them into their clutches because of the changes in regard to our policy with China. Tomorrow, I will give their Ambassador unshirted hell!

RICHARD NIXON: Absolutely! They need to know that if they go with the Russians, then they are going against us!

HENRY KISSINGER: I –

RICHARD NIXON: Now, Goddamnit, they’ve got to know this...Goddamnit, who’s giving them a billion dollars a year? Shit, the Russians aren’t giving them a billion dollars a year, Henry

HENRY KISSINGER: I am going—we have to keep this in the NSC system because –

RICHARD NIXON: Right.

HENRY KISSINGER: - the combination of Bill and Sisco is going to be hip-shooting all over the place if they do it alone, and all on the Indian side because they’re very influenced, as you know, by The Washington Post and New York Times.

RICHARD NIXON: Shit.

HENRY KISSINGER: Indeed.

RICHARD NIXON: Well we have to let that bitch in New Delhi know that this is unacceptable.

HENRY KISSINGER: The Russians major reason for this maneuvering is that they’re afraid of what you will do in Peking if they’re in a posture of hostility to you. So they would like to have the visit hanging over Peking. They would like that you have the visit in the pocket. For that old witch to betray us like this…I guess I should not be surprised, she’s a very shrewd woman.

RICHARD NIXON: We slobbered all over her, gave her country billions of dollars in foreign aid. She will not be able to go home and say that the United States didn't give her a warm reception and therefore in despair she's got to go to war. The Indians are a slippery, treacherous people.

HENRY KISSINGER: They’re the most aggressive bastards around.

RICHARD NIXON: Have you ever seen their women? I can’t think of a more sexless, unappealing bunch on the planet. People say that about the black Africans, but look at the Indians for fucks sake! At least the Africans have some animal like vitality there, the Indians? Eck! Ugh!

HENRY KISSINGER: Hahahaha.

RICHARD NIXON: Maybe we can get Peking to put a little pressure on India, maybe shoot a few bullets across the border and scare them off the Pakistani’s back.

Friday, August 13th, 1971: Syria and Jordan sever diplomatic ties after a border incident between their respective armed forces that was triggered by Jordanian expulsion of Palestinian refugees.

Saturday, August 14th, 1971: President Nixon decides to take America off the gold standard after a summit with his top economic advisers and officials at Camp David. The decision is scheduled to be announced the following night from the Oval Office.

Sunday, August 15th, 1971: In a nationally televised Oval Office address, President Nixon announces what becomes known as the “Nixon Shock.” During his remarks, Nixon announces that Treasury Secretary John Connally will close the “gold window,” thus ending rules which allow foreign governments to convert US dollars for gold. The President also announces the implementation of wage and price controls, which he insists are only temporary, in order to help stabilize the American economy. The decision to implement the price controls were in part due to the feared short term economic consequences of the American withdrawal from the Bretton-Woods System

Monday, August 16th, 1971: President Hastings Banda of Malawi becomes the first foreign leader since King George VI to visit South Africa, at the invitation of the Apartheid regime. Malawi is the only country in Africa to maintain relations with South Africa.

Tuesday, August 17th, 1971: Senator Birch Bayh (D-IN) forms an exploratory committee to weigh whether or not he should seek the Democratic nomination for President in 1972. After Senators Hughes, McGovern, and Governor McKeithen, Bayh is the fourth Democratic candidate to publicly launch a campaign.

Wednesday, August 18th, 1971: Australia and New Zealand announce they will withdraw all combat forces from Vietnam by the end of the year, effectively concluding their participation in the war.

Thursday, August 19th, 1971: Colonel Hugo Banzer Suarez, with covert American support, launches a military mutiny in the Bolivian city of Santa Cruz. Capturing the town’s radio stations, Colonel Banzer calls on his supporters to march on the capital of LaPaz and overthrow incumbent leftist President Juan Jose Torres.

Friday, August 20th, 1971: In Damascus, Syria, President Hafez al-Assad is joined by Egyptian President Anwar al-Sadat and Muammar Qaddafi of Libya for the signing ceremony that formally established the Federation of Arab Republics’ constitution. Under the agreement, the three heads of state would serve as the members of a presidential council that would govern the proposed pan-Arab federation.

Saturday, August 21st, 1971: George Jackson, a Black Panther and inmate who had been imprisoned at Soledad Prison in California since 1961 for armed robbery successfully escapes from Soledad prison after using a gun smuggled in by his lawyer Stephen Bingham to take a guard hostage and free several inmates. Capitalizing on the small riot caused by his actions, Jackson finds a blind spot on the fence-line and jumps over it unnoticed. When guards retake the cell block, they discover Jackson’s absence as a statewide manhunt begins. Jackson’s notoriety as both a writer and militant, make him one of the most wanted and well-known inmates to escape custody in the country.

Sunday, August 22nd, 1971: President Juan Jose Torres of Bolivia flees the country for exile in Argentina after soldiers loyal to Colonel Hugo Banzer shoot their way into the presidential palace in La Paz; the new ruler of the country, Hugo Banzer, is a right-winger with ties to business interests and the planter elite. Assuming the position of President, Banzer immediately begins purging the Bolivian army of all Torres supporters.

Monday, August 23rd, 1971: Representatives of the Britain, France, the USSR, and the United States as well as East and West Germany reach an agreement on the status of Berlin; the East German government agrees to allow unimpeded transport to and from Berlin, while the West silently agrees to the grim reality that the Berlin Wall was there to stay. This new status quo over Berlin does not sit well with anti-communists, but is otherwise a welcome part of the broader policy of detente.

Tuesday, August 24th, 1971: The Canadian military dismantles an anti-aircraft missile system that Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau considered obsolete. President Nixon and Secretary of Defense Laird had both appealed unsuccessfully to the Canadian government to keep the program in place, considering it vital to the security of the North American continent’s arctic upper reaches.

Wednesday, August 25th, 1971: Tanzania lodges a diplomatic complaint against Idi Amin’s regime in Uganda, claiming that Ugandan soldiers launched a cross border raid and stole weapons and ammunition from a Tanzanian military outpost, resulting in four soldiers being killed by the attackers. Idi Amin fires back, claiming that the raid was a rescue mission, and that the four soldiers killed had in reality been Chinese nationals wearing Tanzanian uniforms. The bizarre claim is not widely believed in the west, but little action is taken against the Ugandan president besides a few statements of condemnation from Westminster and the State Department in Washington.

Thursday, August 26th, 1971: Georgios Papadopoulos, the military backed Prime Minister and de-facto dictator of Greece, announces that he will dismiss seven military officers from his cabinet and appoint civilian officials instead. While this news is welcomed by the Greek public, who have grown increasingly tired of military rule since 1967, it is in reality merely a cosmetic change designed to help Papadopoulos to consolidate his power. King Constantine II remains in exile in London, living under the protection of his relative the Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.

Friday, August 27th, 1971: Chadian President Tombalbaye severs diplomatic ties with the three member states of the Federation of Arab Republics after he accuses Libyan and Egyptian intelligence agents in aiding a coup plot in his country, citing the recent attack on the King of Morocco as an example of Libyan meddling in neighboring nations.

Saturday, August 28th, 1971: Outgoing Senator Fred Harris (D-OK) announces that he is weighing a presidential bid, and travels to New Hampshire with his wife, Native American activist LaDonna Harris, to test the waters. He stops short of forming an exploratory committee, instead paying for the trip out of his own pocket.

George Corley Wallace.
Sunday, August 29th, 1971:
Montgomery, AL.
WFSA Studios.
9:35 P.M.

George_Wallace%2C_Meet_the_Press_-_1971.jpg
George Wallace had largely laid low over the course of the year; he had his own personal political fiefdom in the form of the solid south, which provided him a core base of support from which to build a political campaign off of. The Governor did not need to demonstrate his ambitions with repeated trips to New Hampshire to beg for votes, nor did he often find himself in Washington. But today he found himself in territory that was quite familiar – the WSFA studio in Montgomery. The station was a local affiliate of NBC and would play host to the Governor as he appeared on that morning’s broadcast of Meet the Press. It was no secret that Wallace was still eying the Presidency; after having mounted an unsuccessful primary challenge to President Johnson in 1964, Wallace had bolted from the Democratic Party in 1968 to lead the American Independence Party, but his efforts to deadlock the electoral college stalled when Nixon narrowly beat Humphrey in the end. Now, with the 1972 election looming, Wallace was considering giving a presidential campaign another go-around, after having already been returned to his old job as Governor of Alabama less than a year earlier.

With the camera crew adjusting their equipment and with the makeup artists and other assistants fleeing the set, the camera trained itself on the Governor, who was to appear on the broadcast in a matter of moments.

LAWRENCE SPIVAK: Governor Wallace, thank you for joining us this morning. The question on everyone’s mind up here in Washington is whether or not you will be entering the Democratic presidential primaries. Have you made up your mind on whether or not you will run?

GEORGE WALLACE: Well, Lawrence, to tell you the truth, the answer is a firm no, no I have not made up mind to run for President. Have I been approached? Almost everywhere I go in Alabama or elsewhere, I hear encouragement from everyday American people who want me to run. But I have not made up my mind. No.

LAWRENCE SPIVAK: Do you have a deadline on when a decision needs to be made?

GEORGE WALLACE
: I’d reckon sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

LAWRENCE SPIVAK: Are you concerned about Governor McKeithen’s candidacy?

GEORGE WALLACE: I ‘aint concerned about anyone’s candidacy because I’m not a candidate. I have no rivals. I have one job, and that is as Alabama’s Governor, and I intend to do that job for the time being. I don’t want to speak ill of Governor McKeithen, who despite our various disagreements on some issues has been a tremendous Governor for the fine folks in Louisiana.

LAWRENCE SPIVAK: Why do you think that Governor McKeithen has recently rocketed out of obscurity, so to speak, in the latest polls?

GEORGE WALLACE: Well, I think it’s because he is very much like me. He’s a Washington outsider. He’s constantly trying to fix the messes that the fat cats and nitwits in Washington are always creating for us Governors. And I think that people really like that.

LAWRENCE SPIVAK: Now to another pressing matter, what are your thoughts on the President’s decision recently to withdraw the United States from the Bretton Woods….

Monday, August 30th, 1971: Senator Harold Hughes (D-IA) firmly rules out a 1972 presidential bid despite a substantial amount of support for a draft effort in his native Iowa, where he remains extremely popular. Hughes had formed an exploratory committee in April and had made a number of trips to New Hampshire, where his candidacy failed to gain the same traction, it did in his home-state.

Tuesday, August 31st, 1971: Gallup releases new polling ahead of the 1972 election.

(R) Richard Nixon: 43%
(D) Generic Democrat: 42%
Undecided: 12%

Edmund Muskie: 21%
Hubert Humphrey: 21%
George Wallace: 15%
John McKeithen: 8%
John Lindsey: 6%
Birch Bayh: 5%
Fred Harris: 1%

Chapter 9: September 1971.
Wednesday, September 1st, 1971: Voters in Egypt, Libya, and Syria vote overwhelmingly in favor of the adoption of the constitution Federation of Arab Republics, setting in motion the pan-Arabist dream to unite the Arab world. In spite of the constitution’s adoption, all three member states of the so called Federation continue to act independently, and there is virtually no central control of the federation.

Thursday, September 2nd, 1971: Former Senator Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) signals his interest in running for President again after addressing a small anti-war protest at the campus of Harvard University, where he denies interest in forming a third party and confirms his continued membership in the Democratic Party.

Friday, September 3rd, 1971: Qatar declares independence from the United Kingdom under the leadership of Emir Ahmad bin Ali Al Thani. The country was originally slated to join the Trucial States, but Qatar’s relatively larger size and population in comparison with the other Trucial Emirates resulted in mutual distrust arising between the Sheikhs; thus, Qatar declared itself independent and sought out international recognition in its own right.

The Plumbers.
Saturday, September 4th, 1971:
Los Angeles, CA.
2:17 A.M.

1712719009762.png

The break-in was easy enough. All they had to do was hammer a wedge through the door, which they promptly taped shut from the inside to prevent the appearance of burglary from anyone who would happen to pass by. They had flown the day prior to L.A. from Washington, spending the afternoon at a seedy hotel that served as their base of operations. The men were there on a mission – to seal a leak, once and for all. They weren’t killers. They could be, but they weren’t. In reality, they weren’t unlike the reporters whom they’d desperately wanted to remain unaware of their activities. Desperately searching for a story, or in their case, dirt on Daniel Ellsberg, the man identified as the leaker behind the Pentagon Papers.

The “Plumbers Squad” was formed by Egil Krogh and David Young, two subordinates who answered to White House adviser John Ehrlichman. Control of this particular operation, at least on the ground, was delegated by Krogh to be Howard Hunt and G. Gordon Liddy. Under their command were three former employees of the CIA, Bernard Baker, Felipe de Diego, and Eugenio Martinez, who scoured through the office of a certain Doctor Fielding. Tearing open file cabinets, they haphazardly sifted through dozens of files in search of anything that bared Ellsburg’s name under the illumination of their flashlights. Liddy stood by the door as lookout, clutching on to a revolver for dramatic effect more than for necessity. It wasn’t a dangerous mission, but it was their first, and there could be no room for error.

“Hey Howard” Martinez yelled, “I got something here.”

Hunt darted over, shining his light on the files. Indeed, it appeared that they had found what they were looking for. He skimmed page after page of handwritten notes, saying nothing, his face expressionless. After about three or four minutes, after having run through the whole file, he simply dropped it onto the ground.

“Fuck” bemoaned Hunt, “we came all this way…all this way for this? There are nervous housewives who are nuttier than this guy.”

“Maybe that’s a good thing”
said Libby, “he has no excuse now. He wasn’t compelled to do this because his imaginary friends told him too. Now we can nail the bastard.”

“Fifty-fifty chance if it goes to jury”
said Hunt, “I don’t like ‘em odds. We’re dealing with a traitor here.”

“We’ll get him one way or another”
said Libby, “time to get the fuck outta here.”

The men left, leaving the door ajar and the scores of files that they had rummaged through spread across the room. The next morning, Doctor Fielding would be filing a police report, though suspiciously nothing of value seemed to have been taken…

Sunday, September 5th, 1971: Governor John McKeithen announces that he will resign from his office in order to focus on his presidential campaign, elevating Lt. Governor Taddy Aycock to the Governorship. This also positions Aycock to be a stronger candidate in the upcoming and crowded gubernatorial jungle primary.

Monday, September 6th, 1971: Congressman Pete McCloskey (R-CA) announces he will seek the Republican nomination for President on an anti-war platform. He is the first official challenger to enter the race in opposition to President Nixon.

Tuesday, September 7th, 1971: The day after Pete McCloskey announced his intention to primary President Nixon, Congressman John Ashbrook (R-OH) quips “I don’t mind Nixon going to China…I just wish he wouldn’t come back.” The archconservative Congressman had become increasingly critical of the President in recent months, and there is a growing movement amongst the most conservative Republicans to lure him into the primaries as a potential primary challenger himself.

Wednesday, September 8th, 1971: Chatter about the 1972 race turns from the Democratic to Republican primaries for the very first time in the wake of McCloskey’s entrance to the race. A report in the Washington Post details the efforts of three separate movements to draft Proctor and Gamble CEO Howard Morgens, Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ), and Congressman John Ashbrook (R-OH) into the race as a conservative alternative to Nixon. Both Morgens and Goldwater express support for the President’s reelection when pressed further by the press.

Thursday, September 9th, 1971: Rioting in New York’s infamous Attica prison breaks out after the prisoners seized control of a cellblock and took 42 civilian and prison employees hostage. Led by 21-year-old “LD Barkley,” the riot quickly forces New York’s Governor Nelson Rockefeller to take action and deploy the National Guard.

Friday, September 10th, 1971: Senator Winston Prouty (R-VT) loses his battle with cancer, resulting in Governor Deane Davis naming Congressman Robert Stafford to the seat. Congressman Stafford ranked among the most outspokenly liberal Republicans in the House of Representatives, which did not please President Nixon, who privately grumbled to Senate Minority Leader Hugh Scott (R-PA) that Stafford would not be able to be relied upon.

Saturday, September 11th, 1971: Former Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev dies at a Moscow hospital at the age of 73. News of his death is largely buried by Brezhnev and his allies, with only a small blurb in Pravda appearing in the obituary section. The public are kept in the dark about the details of his private funeral to prevent it from becoming a potential demonstration against the party apparatchiks who had pushed him out of power.

Sunday, September 12th, 1971: Lin Biao, a Chinese general and the designated successor of Chairman Mao, attempts to overthrow the regime of the Chairman in an apparent military coup. The plan to assassinate Mao by blowing up a bridge as his train crossed failed when the train was rerouted at the last minute, leading many co-conspirators to bolt from the plot when they mistakenly believed they were discovered. This leads Lin to call off the planned coup, but it is too late, and Mao catches wind of the plot. Fearing for his life, Lin flees China for the Soviet Union by plane with his family, but they are allegedly shot down by Chinese jets over Mongolian airspace on the orders of Chairman Mao. The failed coup devastates Mao, who has lost both his heir and his erstwhile friend in the crash, and results in the Chairman becoming even more paranoid than he was before.

Monday, September 13th, 1971: The National Guard storm Attica, where the prisoners resist violently. 11 hostages and 33 inmates are killed in the ensuing crossfire, which was clouded in tear gas released during the storming of the prison. Governor Rockefeller faces widespread criticism for the violent nature of the crackdown on the riot, though the Governor defends the actions of law enforcement and blames the deaths on the actions of the inmates.

Tuesday, September 14th, 1971: An assembly of 91 Catholic Bishops and 150 plus priests meets in Spain, where a resolution condemning the church’s continued cooperation with the regime of the aging Francisco Franco. The resolution adopted is the first serious challenge to Franco’s authority in decades and calls for greater civil liberties and personal freedoms in Spain.

Wednesday, September 15th, 1971: 15 people are killed and 57 injured in a bombing that targets a French owned nightclub in Saigon. The blast is attributed to the Viet Cong by authorities in South Vietnam, though there are local rumors circulating that ARVN forces were to blame for the bombing after the owner refused to be extorted for protection money from them.

Thursday, September 16th, 1971: Following a stroke he suffered in August, Justice Hugo Black announces he will step down from the Supreme Court. The Justice’s decision to retire comes as his health rapidly began to decline and gives President Nixon a new opportunity to reshape the Supreme Court.

Friday, September 17th, 1971: With Hugo Black’s resignation from the Supreme Court taking effect, the President tasks Attorney General John Mitchell with drafting a list of suitable replacements for him.

Saturday, September 18th, 1971: President Nixon names Donald Rumsfeld as Chairman of the Cost of Living Council, a job that within the context of the White House staff is largely viewed as a demotion. Rumsfeld had previously served as the Director of the Office of Economic Opportunity and now worked as a counselor to the President with the broadly defined title of “anti-poverty czar.”

Sunday, September 19th, 1971: At a secretive summit in the Executive Office Building across the street from the White House, John Ehrlichman instructs the Plumbers Squad to cease intelligence collecting operations against Daniel Ellsberg. This comes after a risky break-in to Ellsberg’s psychologist’s office in California failed to drudge up any new or relevant information. Despite the lack of success, Ehrlichman is still pleased by Hunt and Libby’s effective break-in and considers employing their work in the future.

Monday, September 20th, 1971: President Nixon nominates Romana Acosta Banuelos, a Mexican American businesswoman from southern California, to serve as the next Treasurer of the United States. The CEO of a food supply company that services Hispanic owned restaurants across California, Banuelos had immigrated from Mexico in the 1940s as a single mother with two small children before launching her successful business enterprise.

Tuesday, September 21st, 1971: The Senate votes 55-30 to pass an extension of the draft at the request of the President. Though President Nixon insists that he remains committed to both ending the war and afterwards the draft, anti-war activists are enraged and argue that President Nixon is acting insufficiently on his promises of “peace with honor.”

Thursday, September 23rd, 1971: Just a week after Hugo Black retired from the Supreme Court, Justice John Marshall Harlan II shocks Washington when he announces that he too will retire from the federal bench for health reasons. President Nixon and Attorney General Mitchell are now in the position to search for two nominees to fill the empty seats on the court.

Fred Harris.
Friday, September 24th, 1971:
Washington, D.C.
5:00 P.M.

1712720107249.png

“My father is a small farmer in southwest Oklahoma. My wife, LaDonna, is a militant woman and an activist member of the Comanche Indian Tribe. Our daughter, Kathryn, is a college senior.

My father has less than a high school education. He works twice as hard as most Americans. He knows he pays more than his fair share of taxes, while a lot of rich people do not. He is a proud man. He has always been able to take care of his own, through hard work. Now, as is true of most small farmers and working men and women, he is worse off economically than he has been since the Depression. Everything he buys costs more, but his own real income is less.

My mother suffered a stroke three years ago and has been in a coma since then. My father cannot pay my mother's medical bills. And he's hurt and angry about that. He knows it doesn’t have to be that way.

My wife grew up in a home where Comanche was the first language. She resents the fact that maximum security prisons are mostly peopled by blacks, chicanos, American Indians, Puerto Ricans and poor people. She never believed that George Jackson was shot in the top of the head from a guard tower. Something told her that the Attica hostages didn't die at the hands of the prisoners. She was right.

My daughter wonders why a government that can trace Angela Davis to a motel room can’t stop the heroin traffic. She says aloud what a lot of older people haven’t yet put into words: human values are the most important, and America needs something to believe in.

I have listened to black people in San Francisco, old people in Miami, students in Des Moines, small farmers in Oklahoma, working men and women in Akron, activist women in New York and Vietnam veterans in Albuquerque.

Two strong impressions emerge: A considerable amount of people can't believe America has ever been to the moon. That's because they doubt the credibility of government. And because it seems so illogical to them that our nation could spend so much money on space when so many of our people here on earth can't buy medical care. Most people don’t believe that it makes much difference what politician is elected. They don't really believe things are going to change.

1972 is a crucial year. America won’t be the same in 1976. I intend to try to turn this country around before it's too late. I have called this press conference for that reason, today. I am a candidate for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.

People have a right to believe that if they get interested in a presidential campaign, than maybe things will change. I believe that a President can call this country back to the greatness that is in us all. I mean to try.

I mean to give people a voice through the campaign itself. I intend to hold hearings on the problems of the elderly. I mean to visit the hospital wards with Vietnam veterans. I mean to go into the prisons and to walk the streets where working men and women live. A campaign itself can give power to the powerless. I mean to do that.

We can have a better distribution of income. We can have a better distribution of power. We can have a return to idealism in foreign policy. Now is the time, and I’m happy to speak up and speak out. Any questions?”

Saturday, September 25th, 1971: Britain expels 105 Soviet diplomatic and trade officials who had been named by a KGB defector as spies; 90 of the Soviet citizens in Britain ordered deported are given only 24 hours to leave the country, while 15 who were abroad at the time of the order were prohibited from reentering the United Kingdom.

Sunday, September 26th, 1971: President Nixon spends the weekend at Camp David with Attorney General John Mitchell, where they review options for the two vacant seats on the Supreme Court. Afterwards, Nixon departs on Air Force One for Anchorage, Alaska, where he is due to meet with the Emperor of Japan the following day for a historic meeting between the two former WWII enemies.

Monday, September 27th, 1971: President Nixon greets Emperor Hirohito of Japan in Anchorage, Alaska, for a quick hour-long meeting inside the city’s airport while the Emperor’s plane was there refueling. The meeting is not an official state visit but was rather a hastily arranged stopover as part of the Emperor’s planned European tour. The Emperor is the first Japanese head of state to leave the country in his tenure, though he had toured Europe as Crown Prince fifty years earlier in 1921.

Tuesday, September 28th, 1971: Heavy fighting in Bangladesh continues as the liberation struggle plays out in the most brutal fashion imaginable; the Bangladesh rebels call upon India to intervene against the Islamabad based regime, an alarming development in Washington who fear a potential conflict between the two nations could spill over and destabilize the entire continent.

Wednesday, September 29th, 1971: Secretary of State William Rogers and Soviet Foreign Minister Andrei Gromyko ink an agreement in Washington in which the United States and Soviet Union agree to jointly upgrade the Moscow-Washington hotline as well as expand direct communications between the Soviet Foreign Ministry and the State Department as part of an effort to avoid nuclear conflict in times of tension between the two opposing superpowers.

Thursday, September 30th, 1971: Gallup releases their latest monthly poll surveying the presidential field as the 1972 election draws closer.

(R) Richard Nixon: 44%
(D) Generic Democrat: 43%
Undecided: 10%

Edmund Muskie: 20%
George Wallace: 14%
John McKeithen: 10%
Birch Bayh: 6%

Chapter 10: October 1971.
Friday, October 1st, 1971: The People’s Republic of China marks National Day without any ceremony or celebration, including any appearances by the aging Chairman Mao. Though the government doesn’t give any official reasoning for the canceled celebrations, it is widely believed by observers and analysts that Peking continues to be in chaos following the rumored coup attempt the month before by the late Lin Biao.

Saturday, October 2nd, 1971: President Nixon privately approaches Congressman Richard Poff (R-VA) about the possibility of taking a seat on the Supreme Court. Though Poff is interested in serving on the federal bench, he declines the President’s offer, knowing that the press scrutiny he would face would reveal to his adopted teenaged son the truth about his real parentage.

Sunday, October 3rd, 1971: In an appearance on CBS’s Face the Nation, Senator Henry Jackson (D-WA) confirms he is considering entering the Democratic presidential primaries, promising to announce his decision about a potential candidacy by the end of the year.

Monday, October 4th, 1971: The Federation of Arab Republics announces that Egyptian President Anwar Sadat will assume the office of President of the Federation; despite the support of Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi and Syrian President Hafez al-Assad, the election of Sadat as President of the Federation is largely a titular affair, with Sadat exercising influence only over his native Egypt in reality.

Tuesday, October 5th, 1971: Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm (D-NY), Congresswoman Patsy Mink (D-HI), and Congresswoman Bella Abzug (D-NY) form the Women’s Political Caucus, a political vehicle to support the burgeoning feminist movement in America.

Wednesday, October 6th, 1971: Senator Birch Bayh (D-IN) announces that his wife Marvella has been diagnosed with breast cancer, and that he is reconsidering entering the Democratic presidential primaries as a result of this development.

Thursday, October 7th, 1971: The government of Canada adopts a multicultural policy of bilingualism, making French an official language of Canada alongside English. The policy is highly controversial within Canada, though Quebec native Pierre Trudeau – the incumbent Prime Minister – insists the legislation that implemented these changes will help further integrate rather than divide Canada.

Friday, October 8th, 1971: Chairman Mao is photographed with his Premier Zhou Enlai as they greet visiting Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie in Peking; noticeably absent is Lin Biao, the Vice Chairman of the Communist Party and the intended successor to Chairman Mao. His absence seems to confirm the rumors circulating in the wake of the coup attempt, which China’s government had not confirmed nor denied.

Saturday, October 9th, 1971: The North Vietnamese released American prisoner of war John Sexton after two years of imprisonment. Sexton is only the 23rd POW to be released by North Vietnam since the United States entered the ongoing conflict in Indochina.

Sunday, October 10th, 1971: A bomb outside the United States embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia explodes, injuring 13 people. No Americans are killed or injured in the attack, which is attributed to supporters of the Khmer Rouge.

Monday, October 11th, 1971: John Lennon’s “Imagine” is released as a single in the United States, where it quickly tops the charts to become the former Beatle’s first solo hit since the breakup of the legendary rock group.

Tuesday, October 12th, 1971: Citing his wife Marvella’s diagnosis with breast cancer, Senator Birch Bayh (D-IN) withdraws from the presidential race. Though the Indiana Senator declines to endorse anyone in particular, it is widely expected that most of his supporters would back another rustbelt liberal like Senator Humphrey or a more outwardly liberal candidate like George McGovern.

Wednesday, October 13th, 1971: The House of Representatives approves the Equal Rights Amendment to the constitution by a vote of 354-23, sending the proposed amendment to the Senate for further debate.

Thursday, October 14th, 1971:A Bangladeshi nationalist shoots and kills East Pakistan’s former Governor Abdul Monem Khan, who had supported the regime in Islamabad throughout the ongoing Bangladesh liberation struggle.

Friday, October 15th, 1971: With Senator Bayh out of the presidential race, Senator Vance Hartke – Bayh’s often overshadowed colleague – begins to plot out a possible presidential campaign. Despite low polling, Hartke believed that his lack of name recognition may work to his advantage in the same way Governor McKeithen managed to emerge from obscurity to become a serious contender.

Saturday, October 16th, 1971: Cambodian Prime Minister Lon Nol suspends parliament and declares martial law as part of his regimes ongoing efforts to stifle the Khmer Rouge communist insurgency that has been growing within the country.

Sunday, October 17th, 1971: Bernadette Devlin, an “Independent Republican” MP from Northern Ireland notable for being the youngest member of the British Parliament, forms the Northern Resistance Movement in Belfast. The group, which is an alliance between the Irish left-wing nationalist Sinn Fein Party and other socialist organizations in Northern Ireland, quickly suffers internal warring between the various factions which organized it, rendering the movement ineffective initially.

Monday, October 18th, 1971: Vice President Spiro Agnew makes a controversial state visit to Greece, his family’s ancestral homeland, as part of the administration’s efforts to boost relations with the Balkan nation, which is a key NATO partner. Agnew’s visit angers human rights activists and Greek exiles who have spoken out against the authoritarian military regime which had displaced both the monarchy and Greek parliament in a 1967 coup.

Tuesday, October 19th, 1971: Congresswoman Patsy Mink (D-HI) announces her intention to contest the Hawaii primary as a “favorite daughter” candidate. Mink confirms that her candidacy is primarily aimed at ensuring the Democratic Party’s anti-war faction is represented at the Democratic convention. With low national name recognition, few resources, and little prospect of winning the nomination, Mink is hoping that her campaign may boost her national ambitions in the future.

Wednesday, October 20th, 1971: West German Chancellor Willie Brandt is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to ease tensions between the two German states through his policies of “Ostpolitik.”

Thursday, October 21st, 1971: President Nixon nominates William Rehnquist and Lewis Powell to the Supreme Court to replace the vacancies caused by resignations of Justices Hugo Black and John Marshall Harlan. The Senate Judiciary Committee prepares for hearings to be held in November as the confirmation process for Nixon’s two Supreme Court candidates begins.

Hubert Humphrey.
Friday, October 22nd, 1971:
Washington, D.C.
1:25 P.M.

48953994178_2d88d3d767_b.jpg
Senator Humphrey was rearing to give it another go.

After giving up his seat in the Senate to assume the Vice Presidency in 1965, only three years later to be denied the presidency by Nixon, who used “dirty tricks” to sabotage peace talks between North and South Vietnam in order to thwart Johnson’s planned “October Surprise” bombing halt. Since then, Humphrey had rebounded to some degree – he was able to return to the Senate after his predecessor in the office, Senator Eugene McCarthy, retired from the body. But this was not enough for Hubert Humphrey, who was still bitter about his narrow defeat in 1968 and was eager to claim the Presidency. Having already made presidential bids in 1960 and 1968, Humphrey running in 1972 would come as a surprise to nobody.

But there was one small hurdle – Humphrey didn’t want to “run” at all.

The issue’s roots were engrained in the reality that Humphrey simply didn’t want to contest the primaries, and the realization had dawned upon Humphrey’s closest advisers by October that his mind wouldn’t be changed. He had clearly learned nothing from the chaos of the 1968 convention in Chicago, and still viewed the party’s upcoming Miami convention as more of a coronation than a political process. Having served in the Senate for nearly two decades, Humphrey was well aware of his colleagues’ various strengths and weaknesses. Jackson was too hawkish. McGovern was too radical. Wallace would surely be a non-starter outside of the south, or so thought the former Vice President, and McKeithen was too unknown. Muskie was too bland, Harris too fringe, McCarthy too dated. Not to mention the glaring obstacles that would face a woman like Patsy Mink, much less a black woman, such as Shirley Chisholm.

As the year drew to a close, Humphrey knew it was decision time. At his Washington residence, the Senator had convened his war council for the first time as he prepared to test the waters and possibly even go into battle. There was still enough time, they all argued, to construct a strong campaign apparatus by January, if he would just choose to contest the New Hampshire primary.

“It’d set the rematch narrative” said adviser John Martin Bartlow, a speechwriter who was one of the core members of Humphrey’s decreasing circle of loyalists. Many, like Ted Van Dyk, had been poached by other candidates while Humphrey dithered on the sidelines throughout most of the year. Bartlow continued, telling the Senator that “the people regret the result of 1968; poll after poll proves that. They just don’t want to overcorrect their mistake by electing a crazy like Wallace or a radical like McGovern either.”

“If I contest New Hampshire and I win”
answered Humphrey, “I’ll have the whole pack shooting arrows at me, trying to nip at my heals. If contest New Hampshire and lose, I can throw out any credibility I have at the convention to be a uniter.”

“I don’t know about that”
warned Larry O’Brien, a Humphrey ally and close confidante of the last nominee. “Think about it” he continued, leaning back into his seat as the gathered henchmen leaned in to hear his counsel, “are you absolutely sure it will even be a brokered convention? The rules changes are quite radical…you never know, Muskie could win New Hampshire and then the rest of the primaries and wrap this thing up. He’s a great guy to play second fiddle, but are you sure you’re ready to put him in the lead role?”

“Well…no. If I did, I’d have endorsed him publicly already.”

“He isn’t running yet”
interjected Bartlow. “Yet” affirmed Humphrey, “but we all know he’s in. He’s asked me for my endorsement. So did Hughes and Birch when they were thinking about it.”

“There’s no guarantee that this will be a contested, open convention. More delegates are at stake. The voters have a voice. And the grassroots are going to flex their muscles. Sometimes manpower is stronger than machinery. I’d implore you to take a more organized approach if you want to unite this party in the way you say you do.”
O’Brien’s words hid a cryptic message that Humphrey was quick to pick up on. What O’Brien was really saying was: get in now, while I can still help you.

Humphrey thought of himself as the leader of the Democratic Party and sat quietly in slightly resentful disbelief that he was being challenged by his erstwhile ally. Though he knew to some extent that O’Brien, the ultimate insider, was right, he also knew that an organized campaign would expose him to fire from his colleagues that he would not suffer if he stood out of the race.

“What if we let the grassroots nominate me then?” he said, after a long pause. O’Brien’s face betrayed his confusion, but Bartlow and a few others seemed to get the gist. “A draft movement” he continued, “get me on the ballot in the big states and let me focus on my day job. The results will follow…they always have.”

Thus, Hubert Humphrey (kinda sorta) became a candidate for President in 1972.

Saturday, October 23rd, 1971: Typhoon Hester hits Vietnam, causing 85 deaths in the south and an unknown amount of fatalities in the north; the severity of the storm is enough to bring fighting throughout the south to a brief standstill as Viet Cong, American, and South Vietnamese forces all bunker down throughout the storm.

Sunday, October 24th, 1971: Los Angeles’s Mayor Sam Yorty criticizes the policies of New York’s “Republican” Mayor John Lindsey while appearing on NBC’s Meet the Press to discuss issues related to urban life in America. The New York Mayor, who like Yorty has been eying a 1972 presidential run, was to blame for much of the city’s fiscal and law and order related problems according to Yorty, who has prided himself as being among the more pro-war, pro-law enforcement figures within the Democratic Party.

Monday, October 25th, 1971: The United Nations General Assembly votes to recognize the People’s Republic of China as the chief representative of the Chinese people before the United Nations, though a second vote to expel Taiwan (the “Republic of China”) from the body fails narrowly. The decision to recognize the communist government in Peking grants the regime of Chairman Mao a seat at the United Nations Security Council. In response to the decision, Taiwan’s government announces it will not pay any further membership fees to the United Nations in protest of their removal from the UN Security Council.

Monday, October 25th, 1971: The United Nations General Assembly votes to recognize the People’s Republic of China as the chief representative of the Chinese people before the United Nations, though a second vote to expel Taiwan (the “Republic of China”) from the body fails narrowly. The decision to recognize the communist government in Peking grants the regime of Chairman Mao a seat at the United Nations Security Council. In response to the decision, Taiwan’s government announces it will not pay any further membership fees to the United Nations in protest of their removal from the UN Security Council.

Tuesday, October 26th, 1971: Agriculture Secretary Clifford Hardin announces that he will resign from his post on November 17th.

Wednesday, October 27th, 1971: On the orders of President Mobuto, the Republic of the Congo is renamed “the Republic of Zaire.” This part of an Africanization program known as “authenticite” campaign being run by the regime of Zaire’s military backed president, who is incorporating African nationalism into his government’s political program to increase public support in the historically unstable former Belgian colony.

Thursday, October 28th, 1971: The British House of Commons passes legislation allowing for British entry into the European Economic Community; the effort by Prime Minister Edward Heath to push for further British integration into Europe has angered some on the right-wing of the governing of Conservative Party as well as many left-wingers within the Labor Party.

Richard Nixon.
Friday, October 29th, 1971:
Washington, D.C.
The White House.
11:15 A.M.

e-65-12-xl__1_.0.0.jpg
ROSEMARY WOODS: Mr. President, I have Senator Dole on the line.

RICHARD NIXON: Put him through.

BOB DOLE: Hello?

RICHARD NIXON: Hello Bob, how are you?

BOB DOLE: I’m fine, Mr. President, I’m doing well.

RICHARD NIXON: That’s great, Bob, now lay it on me…what’s going on?

BOB DOLE: Well, sir, it’s the matter of the Department of Agriculture –

RICHARD NIXON: Ah, yes, Clifford is departing. Yes, very bad news. He did a fine job.

BOB DOLE: He did, certainly, he’s been a friend of farmers everywhere. You know, Mr. President, the farmers back home are mighty interested…you might even say invested in who succeeds him.

RICHARD NIXON: Do you have any recommendations, Bob?

BOB DOLE: I can name a hundred Kansan farmers off the top of my head

RICHARD NIXON: Well, I certainly wish my memory was that good.

BOB DOLE: There’s a rumor going around that your Chief of Staff is talking to Earl Butz.

RICHARD NIXON: He’s one of many under consideration for the position as you know, Bob, but we haven’t settled on a replacement yet. I’m taking it you have a hundred suggestions for the job, and I appreciate it, but I think you’ll be satisfied.

BOB DOLE: Mr. President, do you know what Earl Butz’s motto is?

RICHARD NIXON: No –

BOB DOLE: It is “get big or get out,” Mr. President. We have a lot of family farmers back home in Kansas, Mr. President, and I don’t they can get big and I know they can’t get out. It’ll be mighty hard to justify this one to the folks back home.

RICHARD NIXON: Well, Bob, as I said, Butz is one of many names on our list that are qualified to lead this nation. He has faith in the family farm. I think you’ll be surprised, Bob, just give him a fair hearing.

BOB DOLE: So you do plan to nominate Butz?

RICHARD NIXON: He’s entitled to a fair hearing if I do.

BOB DOLE: I understand, but I –

RICHARD NIXON: Bob, I appreciate your input on this matter very much. The family farmers back in Kansas are lucky to have you as their voice. Thanks, Bob, I’ll bear in mind what you have said. Ok?

(Phone disconnects).

Saturday, October 30th, 1971: Musician Duane Allman dies of injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash the previous day at the age of 24 in his hometown of Macon, Georgia.

Sunday, October 31st, 1971: New polling is released by Gallup.

(R) Richard Nixon: 45%
(D) Generic Democrat: 45%
Undecided: 7%

George McGovern: 17%
John McKeithen: 12%
Sam Yorty: 1%
Patsy Mink: 1%

Chapter 11: November 1971.
Monday, November 1st, 1971: Former Senator Absalom Willis Robertson (D-VA) dies at the age of 85; the former Senator and father of increasingly notable evangelist Pat Robertson had been defeated in 1966 by LBJ’s backed primary challenger William Spong after Robertson had stood afoul of the President over civil rights issues. The former Senator’s 1966 defeat was an early crack in the Byrd organizations control of the state.

Tuesday, November 2nd, 1971: Gubernatorial elections are held in Kentucky, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

1971 Kentucky Gubernatorial Election
(D) Wendell Ford: 50.1%
(R) Thomas Emberton: 44.5%
(I) Happy Chandler: 4.4%
(AIP) William Smith: 1.0%
(Democratic hold)

1971 Louisiana Democratic Gubernatorial Primary (First Round)
(D) Edwin Edwards: 21.9%
(D) Taddy Aycock: 21.4%
(D) J. Bennett Johnston: 21.3%
(D) Gillis Long: 17.0%
(D) Jimmie Davis: 12.4%
(D) Speedy Long: 5.7%
(D) Addison Thompson: 0.2%
(D) Jimmy Strain: 0.1%

1971 Louisiana Republican Gubernatorial Primary:
(R) David Treen: 92.5%
(R) Robert Ross: 7.5%

1971 Mississippi Gubernatorial Election
(D) William Waller: 74.8%
(I) Charles Evers: 25.2%

Wednesday, November 3rd, 1971: Former Louisiana Governor John McKeithen begins an extensive campaign effort in Florida, a state he views as a critical juncture in the upcoming primaries. McKeithen, who has spent much of the campaign setting himself apart from his more liberal northern rivals, now turns his fire on Governor Wallace, whom he warns is “like McGovern.” Stating that Wallace is, in his view, unelectable and would “hand Nixon another term on a silver platter,” McKeithen’s attacks earn him the ire of the Alabama Governor’s political allies in the state, but wins him the respect of fellow Governor Reubin Askew, who is more liberal than Wallace.

Thursday, November 4th, 1971: Despite the fierce opposition of environmental and indigenous activists, the Department of Defense confirms the United States will move forward with an atomic test on an isolated Alaska island after a federal judge rejects a lawsuit attempting to stop it. Anti-nuclear activists attempt to make a last-minute appeal to the Supreme Court, though time is running out.

Friday, November 5th, 1971: The first and only test of the Europa-2 rocket fails in French Guyana, after the European built rocket explodes seconds after liftoff. The explosion of the rocket and the test’s failure is a major blow to the European Launcher Development Organization’s efforts.

Saturday, November 6th, 1971: Not to be outdone by Governor McKeithen, Senator Henry Jackson (D-WA) travels to South Florida, ostensibly to address a gathering of Jewish Democrats in Miami. The Palm Beach Post reports that Jackson told voters in Miami that he’ll “be back soon,” and indication that the longtime Democratic Senator may soon enter the presidential race as widely anticipated.

John Kerry.
Sunday, November 7th, 1971:
Washington, D.C.
NBC Studios.
9:00 A.M.

1713055392492.png
LAWRENCE SPIVAK: This morning we are joined by John Kerry, of “Vietnam Veterans Against the War.” Mr. Kerry is currently mounting a bid for the United States Congress in Massachusetts, has testified before both the House and Senate, and has been an active participant and organizer in the anti-war movement since returning from the battleline. He is joined by Al Hubbard. Both had been wounded on the battlefield in Vietnam, and are the principal organizers on an upcoming anti-war protest in Washington on Veteran’s Day. I’d like to start the question with Mr. Hubbard. You served twelve years in the Air Force and were stationed in Vietnam. When did you sour on the war?

AL HUBBARD: Well I certainly was aware before I went to Vietnam that our country was wrong in what it was doing. I thought while I was in Vietnam that I would be able to come to grips with that, but I found that I couldn’t. I rationalized by talking with insurgents that our military forces weren’t needed all over the world and that I didn’t have the full picture of what was going on there.

LAWRENCE SPIVAK: Mr. Hubbard, why do you think your judgement about the war is better than three Presidents?

AL HUBBARD: First of all, it is not my judgement. Twelve thousand members of our organization have helped put together the collective pieces of this puzzle to reveal the real picture of what is going on over there.

LAWRENCE SPIVAK: Mr. Kerry, are you opposed just to the war in Vietnam, or are you opposed to all wars?

JOHN KERRY: I’d like to be opposed to all wars, but I don’t think we’re really in that position as a nation or the world, you know? I think the question is the opposition to this war, why we oppose this war at this time, and why will we be in Washington next week.

LAWRENCE SPIVAK: You believe the war in Vietnam is ultimately a civil war, a conflict started by aggression from the North. What do you base that belief on?

JOHN KERRY: I base that on my experiences I saw fighting day in and day out in South Vietnam, as well as the historical writings and journalistic, um, journalistic articles on the matter. You can see clearly throughout the course of the war that northern aggression against the south has largely escalated in tandem with the increased American role in the south. When we entered the war on this rather flimsy basis, you saw a dramatic increase in insurgent activity in the south. And remember, you can’t wage a guerilla war without willing guerillas – it’s impossible to wage guerilla warfare against the largest air power in the history of the world without the support of the people, which is what the Viet Cong and the north have in the south, whether we like it or not.

LAWRENCE SPIVAK: Gentlemen, we’ll be right back after these messages with our panel for another round of questions. Stay tuned…

Monday, November 8th, 1971: Berkeley, California declares itself a “sanctuary city” with the city council outlawing all police and municipal law enforcement agencies from enforcing federal arrest warrants for non-violent offenses.

Tuesday, November 9th, 1971: The Washington Post reports that Governor Wallace is “rallying his forces” in Montgomery ahead of another presidential run, this time as a Democrat. Several sources ranging from his Chief of Staff down to his personal pilot deny any knowledge as to whether Wallace will ultimately announce his candidacy, though it remains an open secret that he intends to run either on the American Independence or Democratic ballot line.

Wednesday, November 10th, 1971: Cuban Premier Fidel Castro arrives in Santiago, Chile, where he is welcomed at the airport by President Allende and tens of thousands of their socialist supporters. Allende is the first Latin American leader to officially recognize and welcome Castro on a state visit, an alarming development in Washington, where President Nixon privately grumbles on tape to Kissinger that Allende’s presidency was turning the continent into a “red sandwich.”

Citing low polling and dwindling campaign funds, Senator Fred Harris (D-OK) abandons his presidential campaign and declines to endorse a candidate as he exits the race. Though the Senator did not throw his weight behind any particular candidate, Senator McGovern – the key leading liberal in the race – begins to actively court the Senator for his endorsement.

Thursday, November 11th, 1971: 50,000 people march in Washington against the Vietnam War; while the protests do not reach the same numbers that some previous demonstrations had attracted, the event none the less boosts John Kerry’s campaign for Congress in Massachusetts.

Friday, November 12th, 1971: As part of the government’s Vietnamization efforts, President Nixon announces the withdrawal of 45,000 additional American forces from South Vietnam. This comes one day after protesters once again swarmed Washington.

Saturday, November 13th, 1971: Mariner 9 becomes the first spacecraft launched by NASA to reach the orbit of Mars. Both the United States and the Soviet Union had tried unsuccessfully before to launch various probes into Mars orbit in previous attempts at competing Mars missions.

Sunday, November 14th, 1971: A Khmer Rouge bombing of Phnom Penh’s airport kills 45 Cambodians.

Monday, November 15th, 1971: British Foreign Minister Alec Douglas-Home arrives in Salisbury, Rhodesia, for high level talks with representatives of Ian Smith as part of an effort to bring the apartheid state back into the international community. Prime Minister Smith remains intransigent about minority rule, insisting that Rhodesia will continue the same segregationist racial policies that had made his country a pariah.

Tuesday, November 16th, 1971: Los Angeles Mayor Sam Yorty announces a longshot presidential candidate at a rally in downtown Los Angeles. Despite being the mayor of one America’s largest cities, Yorty’s staunch conservatism on law and order issues has alienated many Hollywood liberals from his candidacy, and his lack of name recognition outside of southern California hampers his presidential campaign from the outset.

Wednesday, November 17th, 1971: Agriculture Secretary Clifford Hardin resigns; the White House confirms that the President will nominate Earl Butz, an archconservative academic and Dean of Agriculture at Perdue University. Senator Milton Young (R-ND) is the first to speak out against Butz’s nomination, warning that the nomination was “an assault on the family farm,” while Senator Bob Dole (R-KS) expresses his concerns about Butz’s opposition to farm subsidies.

Thursday, November 18th, 1971: Thai Prime Minister Thanom Kittikachorn dissolves parliament and fires the cabinet, replacing the government with a military dominated cabinet with the backing of King Rama IX.

Henry Jackson.
Friday, November 19th, 1971:
Washington, D.C.
The Old Senate Office Building.
11:00 A.M.

henry-scoop-jackson-1912-1983-in-1970.jpg
A large gathering of journalists had formed in the Old Senate Office Building’s press room, the same location where a certain Senator named John F. Kennedy had once launched his own presidential candidacy. Jackson knew he was no Jack Kennedy – he was older, he was not as charismatic nor charming, and he was certainly not as wealthy. But like Kennedy, Jackson was tough. A veteran of the Senate from the days of Roosevelt, Jackson had emerged in the 1970s as the leading Cold Warrior of the Democratic caucus, an unabashed anti-communist who feared and loathed the Soviet Union to the same degree as many of his Republican counterparts, if not more so.

Jackson had long harbored aspirations of taking the White House, and with 1972 dawning, his time had emerged. The Democratic Party’s leftward drift wasn’t entirely unwelcomed by Jackson, who was a tried-and-true New Dealer and a proud progressive of the old western variety, a dying breed in the contemporary culture of political radicalism. Jackson saw himself as a more palatable version of George Wallace, one who could build a brand of law-and-order politics without the baggage of Wallace’s racism. The Senator, being well aware of his strengths and weaknesses, had already built a respectable campaign apparatus and had familiarized himself with the primary schedule. New Hampshire and Massachusetts would launch him, he hoped, but it was Florida that was the real prize.

Joined by some of his colleagues, with his fellow Washingtonian, Senator Warren Magnusson, standing to his side, Jackson began his prepared remarks. His first sentence was punctuated by a pause, then the heavy applause from the supporters who flocked to his Capital Hill press conference.

“I am today announcing that I am a candidate for the office of President of the United States.

This is going to be a hard tough fight everywhere, and we’ve got some hard, tough issues that need to be articulated. And I think there has been too much silence in some areas, and I intend to speak forthrightly and directly to the people. And I feel very confidently that the people of the country are ripe and ready for that sort of thing. I’m going to take my coat off, roll up my sleeve, and tell it like it is.

Because that is what Democrats do. We give a damn!”

With our country at war, facing obstacles to domestic tranquility at home and hurdles in the path towards peace abroad, I understand the angst and anxiety that many Americans must now certainly feel. The people of this great nation are yearning for strong, steady, experienced leadership. And that is exactly what I have to offer to the American people….”

The Senator’s core staff looked on. Campaign manager Sterling Munro and Hyman Raskin, a key top adviser, watched from the front row with pride. Somewhere working the crowd was the campaign’s main media man, Brian Corcoran, hurriedly handing out press releases.

“….and I can promise the American people that I will avowedly stand firm against the encroachment of communism and totalitarianism of any form” continued Jackson, “because that is the American way, and more importantly, it is the only way!”

Saturday, November 20th, 1971: Governor McKeithen travels to Atlanta, Georgia to meet personally with Governor Jimmy Carter in pursuit of his endorsement. Carter had previously expressed interest in Senator Jackson’s prospective presidential campaign, and with Jackson now in the fray, McKeithen saw to it that the Georgia Governor’s endorsement was more important than ever.

Sunday, November 21st, 1971: Indian troops attack Garibpur, a strategic town on the border with India in East Pakistan, occupying the town in order to aid the ongoing Bangladesh independence struggle raging within East Pakistan. The Pakistani government describes the attack as an act of war, and mobilizes the Pakistani military.

Monday, November 22nd, 1971: On the eighth anniversary of the assassination of John Kennedy, former President Lyndon Johnson returns to the scene of the assassination for a retrospective interview with NBC’s Barbara Walters.

Tuesday, November 23rd, 1971: Pakistani President Yahya Khan warns that any further Indian interventions in East Pakistan on behalf of Bengali rebels would result in “unprecedented consequences.” In response to the recent mobilization of the Pakistani army, Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi orders the Indian military on alert.

Wednesday, November 24th, 1971: A man calling himself “D.B. Cooper” hijacks a passenger plane and demands $200,000 in ransom. The unknown hijacker lands the plane after a suitcase containing the ransom is delivered to him and releases the passengers, before demanding the pilots fly him to another destination. While flying over Washington in a thunderstorm, the hijacker parachutes from the plane, his fate remaining unknown.

Thursday, November 25th, 1971: President Nixon orders airstrikes against the Khmer Rouge after their forces gain ground and threaten the outskirts of Phnom Penh; the bombings force the Maoist rebel army back into the surrounding jungles, where they regroup quickly under the protection of the tropical canopy.

Friday, November 26th, 1971: The East German Volkskammer reelects Walter Ulbricht as head of state and Willi Stoph as Premier; real political power continues to be wielded by Erich Honecker, the General Secretary of the ruling Socialist Unity Party.

Saturday, November 27th, 1971: The Soviet Mars-2 probe becomes the first manmade object to reach the surface of Mars, but the spacecraft is destroyed on impact when its parachute failed to properly deploy upon landing.

The People’s Party holds its national convention in Saint Louis, Missouri, where the nascent umbrella of leftist parties nominates pediatrician Ben Spock for President and activist Julius Hobson for Vice President ahead of the 1972 election. The People's Party is hoping to make a breakthrough, and is banking on the Democrats to nominate a conservative or moderate figure like Wallace, McKeithen, or Humphrey.

Sunday, November 28th, 1971: Jordanian Prime Minister Wafsi Tab is shot and killed in Cairo by gunmen outside of the Sheraton Hotel, where an Arab League summit had been underway. The Palestinian militant group Black September takes responsibility for the assassination.

Monday, November 29th, 1971: Indian and Pakistani forces begin positioning themselves along their respective borders as emergency negotiations take place between the two nations in neutral Iran, where the Shah has offered to mediate talks in Tehran. The talks stall within hours when Pakistan demands India cease all support for the Bangladesh independence struggle.

Tuesday, November 30th, 1971: A day after peace talks fail in Tehran, President Yahya Khan orders airstrikes against the Indian military near the border of East Pakistan, which results in several Indian airfields being bombed by Pakistani planes.

New polling is released by Gallup.

Undecided: 7%

George McGovern: 18%
George Wallace: 13%
Henry Jackson: 3%

Some familiar faces popping up already and some emphasis on how utterly stupid the work of the Plumbers actually was as well. Good stuff so far.

Chapter 12: December 1971.
Wednesday, December 1st, 1971: Protests in Santiago, Chile, against the socialist government of President Salvador Allende are repressed by the military on the president’s orders. General Augusto Pinochet is given the task of clamping down on the anti-government protesters, predominately women protesting rising food prices, and the General immediately sets out to accomplish the task with ruthless brutality. Over 150 protesters are injured in the melee as security forces dispersed the demonstrations on the order of the President.

Thursday, December 2nd, 1971: The United Arab Emirates is formed from the seven Trucial Emirates on the Persian Gulf, the latest Arab nation to gain independence from British colonial hegemony. The seven Emirates had been small protectorates of the British Empire throughout recent decades and are awash with oil and wealth.

Friday, December 3rd, 1971: War breaks out between India and Pakistan after Indian forces pore over the border into rebelling East Pakistan, with India declaring it’s support for the Bangladesh independence struggle.

Saturday, December 4th, 1971: Fighting breaks out along the West Pakistani-Indian border as Indian troops gain ground in East Pakistan, quickly pushing back the Pakistani army as supporters of the insurgent Awami League and other separatist organizations begin taking control of larger swathes of territory. There are reports of massacres in East Pakistan perpetrated by both Pakistani and Indian forces, which both nations strenuously deny.

In response to the conflict between India and Pakistan, President Nixon announces a policy of neutrality. In reality, the administration is leaning towards Pakistan, which maintained closer ties to China and the United States than the Soviet friendly regime in New Delhi. At the United Nations in New York, Ambassador George H.W. Bush attempts to introduce a resolution calling for a ceasefire, but this is vetoed by the Soviets.

Sunday, December 5th, 1971: Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm tells the predominately black congregation of a historic Brooklyn Baptist church that she is weighing a presidential campaign in 1972, much to the delight of those in attendance. The audible reaction to her statement alone is enough to convince the Congresswoman to enter the fray, as she would later note in an autobiography.

Monday, December 6th, 1971: The Senate confirms Lewis Powell to the Supreme Court by a vote of 89-1; the lone dissenter is Senator Fred Harris (D-OK), who recently abandoned his presidential aspirations and is retiring from the Senate rather than seek reelection in November.

Tuesday, December 7th, 1971: Libyan dictator Muammar Qaddafi announces the nationalization of all British Petroleum owned oil wells in the country in response to Britain’s support for Iran in a territorial dispute with the newly formed United Arab Emirates.

Thursday, December 9th, 1971: The Senate confirms William Rehnquist to the Supreme Court by a vote of 68-26; more controversial than his colleague, the recently confirmed Justice Lewis Powell, Rehnquist is expected to be a reliably conservative voice on the federal bench.

Friday, December 10th, 1971: The Senate confirms Earl Butz as Secretary of Agriculture by a vote of 55-45; Nixon is able to leverage the loss of support from midwestern Republican Senators like Bob Dole by earning the votes of southern Democrats, who are more supportive due to Butz’s strident opposition to farm subsidies and New Deal era agricultural policies.

Saturday, December 11th, 1971: The Committee for a Libertarian Party meets in the living room of Luke Zell’s Colorado Springs home. This meeting is the genesis of the Libertarian Party, formed to be a home for libertarians, objectivists, constitutionalists, and others opposed to what it perceives as “big government policies.” The newly formed political force plans to incorporate a political party and even run a presidential candidate in the 1972 election.

Sunday, December 12th, 1971: Alabama Governor George Wallace appears on CBS’s Face the Nation for another widely watched interview, in which he dangles the prospects of a presidential campaign once again when he rules out making a second bid for the nomination of the American Independence Party in 1972. This signals to most observers that the Governor is committed to entering the 1972 Democratic primaries instead, though the Governor insists that no announcement is forthcoming until after New Year’s Day.

Monday, December 13th, 1971: The People’s Republic of China releases two American prisoners into British custody at Hong Kong; one is Richard Fecteau, a former CIA agent imprisoned by China since 1952. The other is Mary Ann Harbert, an American woman whose yacht had drifted into Chinese waters in 1968 when she was arrested. A third American suspected by the communist regime in Peking, John T. Downey (captured alongside Fecteau when their spy-plane was shot down) remains in Chinese custody, though his sentence is commuted from life imprisonment and is expected to be released in 1976. The Nixon administration continues to work behind the scenes for his release.

Tuesday, December 14th, 1971: Heavy fighting continues to rage across Bangladesh as the Pakistani army fails to hold off the Indian invasion, resulting in most of East Pakistan being “liberated” by either the Indians or the various pro-independence militias; on the western front, the Pakistani army manages to hold off several Indian incursions aimed at penetrating West Pakistan’s borders and splitting the country in half. Both sides sustain heavy casualties on one another in the fierce fighting, with neither army making any significant progress.

The Clean Water Act passes the Senate by a vote of 85-0. It is introduced to the House of Representatives by Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm (D-NY), who in an impassioned speech to the House floor decries the pollution of the Hudson River and the Chesapeake Bay. The speech garners her a standing ovation from fellow Democrats in the House.

Thursday, December 16th, 1971: After representative of the G-10 meet at the Smithsonian in Washington, the President announces that the US dollar will be pegged at $38 an ounce rather than $35, representing a nearly 8% decrease in value. Secretary of the Treasury Connally praised the agreement as “a step towards stability” as he extolled the virtues of the agreement to reporters.

The Pakistani army detains 400 intellectuals, doctors, and journalists and subsequently executes them in a night of carnage across East Pakistan. All of the victims had been put on a hit list due to their vocal support for the independence of Bangladesh. The massacre was ordered as Indian troops continue to gain more ground in East Pakistan as the conflict between India and Pakistan continues. Human rights activists around the world decry the regime of Yahya Khan in response to the slaughter, though the Nixon administration continues to quietly voice support for the Pakistani government in diplomatic circles.

Eugene McCarthy.
Friday, December 17th, 1971:
Boston, MA.
Old North Church.
11:30 A.M.

image-asset.jpeg
The former Minnesota Senator was no stranger to working large crowds in cramped quarters, and even though his star had faded somewhat from the glory days of ’68, Eugene McCarthy was still a radical force for change within the Democratic Party. While it was clear that Senator McGovern had taken up all of the air in the room, running both as an unreconstructed 60’s radical and as an old-fashioned prairie progressive in the same breath with a synergy that was seemingly flawless, McCarthy still had hope for a breakthrough. He, after all, was exactly what McGovern pretended to be – a tried and true American outlier. But as he stepped up to the podium after a round of introductions from a slew of supporters, the Senator felt a sense of nervousness. What if it were all delusion? What if McGovern doesn’t crumble? What if he were too late?

“Good morning, my friends, my fellow Americans, and my fellow fighters for freedom, liberty, justice, and peace. I am here in Boston to announce this morning that I shall be entering my name in the Massachusetts primary and will contest several primary elections throughout the country in the year ahead. I am running for the Democratic Party’s nomination for President once more because it has become abundantly clear that the same forces that had entrenched the brutal policies of the Johnson administration have now aligned themselves in a dark axis with the current Republican administration. This arrangement has left the Democrats adrift in the murky waters of Washington, powerless to bring our boys home from the warzone in Southeast Asia, unwilling to make the dream of Doctor King a reality at home, and afraid to stand up to an administration which projects imperial power with unprecedented arrogance. It is time the Democrats stand up and put a candidate in the ring who can present a clear contrast to this President – I believe I am that candidate.

The Senator saw a path to victory not through New Hampshire, but rather, neighboring Massachusetts. It was why the Senator, who hailed from Minnesota, had chosen to come to Boston, the birthplace of the American Revolution, to launch his campaign. As crowd had assembled outside the famous Old North Church, which once hung the lanterns that prompted Paul Revere’s iconic midnight ride to warn the citizens of Lexington and Concord of the advancing Redcoats, it was appropriate that McCarthy appealed to the revolutionary sentiment of times both past and present.

“I believe that America today is a nation being lied to by a cabal of powerful corporate bigwigs that don’t have your best interest at heart. And worse yet, I believe that we are lying to ourselves. We lie to ourselves when we say that our best days our behind us, that our present difficulties cannot be overcome, and that the elusive promise of peace is but a myth. I am here today to dispel this sense of collective fiction. I will not run this campaign on a platform of fear; rather, I want to elicit a national dialogue and foster a new national understanding across the land.”

Some would perhaps find it ironic that a Senator deemed a “has been” was appealing to the ethos of America’s past, when his rhetoric had always been so radically and rosily progressive and forward looking. But the prospects were grim, the fundraising low, and the polling even lower. McCarthy wouldn’t just need a revolution – he very well may have needed a little magic.

Saturday, December 18th, 1971: India gains total control of East Pakistan, forcing the Pakistani army to surrender and effectively guaranteeing the independence of Bangladesh from Pakistani domination. The victory is celebrated across the war-ravaged region, and ceasefire negotiations between India and Pakistan commence in the city of Dhakka.

Congressman Edwin Edwards narrowly defeats Governor Taddy Aycock in the Democratic primary runoff for the Louisiana gubernatorial election.

Sunday, December 19th, 1971: A ceasefire between India and Pakistan is agreed to, with Pakistani President Yahya Khan offering East Pakistan autonomy if they choose to remain within Pakistan, an option that is unthinkable to those who fought for Bangladesh’s independence.

Monday, December 20th, 1971: Hours after agreeing to a ceasefire with India, which effectively sealed the fate of East Pakistan, President Yahya Khan is compelled to resign by the Pakistani military in the face of an imminent coup. Foreign Minister Zolifkar Ali Bhutto is named President of Pakistan by the parliament, and he immediately takes the helm of a nation literally split in half by their hostile Indian neighbors. Bhutto announces that martial law will continue in Pakistan until a final political solution to the war can be reached.

Tuesday, December 21st, 1971: The United Nations elects Kurt Waldheim of Austria as the Secretary General of the United Nations, defeating other candidates including the Aga Khan (supported by the United States) and a handful of other diplomats after four days of balloting in New York.

Wednesday, December 22nd, 1971: Sheikh Mujibur Rahman is released from a Pakistani prison and is transferred to house arrest at an undisclosed location. The rebel leaders of the Awami League demand that Rahman be released to help aid in the construction of an independent Bangladesh.

Thursday, December 23rd, 1971: President Nixon commutes the sentence of incarcerated Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, on the grounds that Hoffa does not resume his activities within the labor movement until 1980. Hoffa is immediately released from a federal prison in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, after serving nearly five years of his sentence.

Friday, December 24th, 1971: LANSA Flight 508 disintegrates mid-air over the Peruvian jungle, killing 90 of the 91 people onboard the flight in the deadly crash. Amazingly, one passenger, 17-year-old Juliane Koepcke survives the crash, falling two miles from the sky still strapped into her seat in part of the plane. With a broken collarbone, Koepcke crawls through the Peruvian jungle for eleven days before being rescued by villagers.

Sunday, December 26th, 1971: New York Mayor John Lindsay teases a “major announcement” while appearing on NBC’s Meet the Press. The Mayor is set to address a large rally in New York City on Tuesday afternoon, with the New York Times reporting that he is likely to announce a campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination.

John Lindsay.
Tuesday, December 28th, 1971:
New York City, NY.
Times Square.
3:00 P.M.

original.jpg
Every four years it's the same story. They come out of Washington, promising, talking, pledging, warning, offering. And we elect a President. And back they all go to Washington. And then what…?

And then something seems to happen. Somehow, from the marble halls of Washington, things begin to look different. Five million Americans are out of work; joblessness is the worst it's been in a decade. And inflation is running away with our wages. That is what the President called "a new prosperity."

The War in Vietnam goes into its 11th year -- the longest, most expensive war we've ever fought: 55,000 of our sons and brothers lie dead; 250,000 more are wounded, thousands crippled for life. That's called "a generation of peace."

Crime keeps going up -- despite all the tough talk and the bragging; and Washington, the nation's capital, is perhaps one of the most dangerous cities of all. That's called "making the streets safe."

A worker earning $150 a week looks at his paycheck -- and sees $40 chopped out in taxes; while millionaires and billion-dollar corporations pay peanuts, thanks to special tax gimmicks and politicians who swap campaign contributions for special favors. That's called "one man, one vote."

It's time we put a stop to this kind of doubletalk and doublethink. It's time we stopped letting Washington send a President to America. It's time America sent a President to Washington, willing to face the facts of life about life in America -- and willing to fight for what we need.

We can do it this year -- in 1972. That is why I am announcing my candidacy for the Presidency of the United States today.

Wednesday, December 29th, 1971: Congressman John Ashbrook (R-OH) announces he will run for President in 1972, entering the New Hampshire primary as a conservative alternative to the Nixon administration, which he stridently believes is too soft on communism. Ashbrook joins the President and California Congressman Pete McCloskey as the third Republican to declare their presidential aspirations for 1972, though both of Nixon’s challengers have long odds against them.

Thursday, December 30th, 1971: Former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford tells the Charlotte Observer that he has been encouraged by other Democrats in the state to enter his name into the Democratic presidential primaries and predicts that corruption allegations against John McKeithen will ultimately doom the former Louisiana Governor’s candidacy.

Friday, December 31st, 1971: Gallup releases their final poll of 1971.

(R) Richard Nixon: 46%
(D) Generic Democrat: 44%
Undecided: 6%
Independent/Other: 4%

Hubert Humphrey: 19%
George McGovern: 19%
George Wallace: 12%
Terry Sanford: 1%

Chapter 13: January 1972.
Saturday, January 1st, 1972: Zairian President Mobuto Sese Sekou announces his “authenticity” campaign in which citizens are forced to adopt African names and wear approved clothing. The aim of the campaign is to eradicate any remnant of Zaire’s colonial past.

Sunday, January 2nd, 1972: Senator Ed Muskie (D-ME) appears on NBC’s Meet the Press as the House of Representatives prepares to resume debate on the landmark legislation that he pushed through the Senate, the Clean Water Act. During the appearance, Muskie states that he will be announcing his political future on Tuesday at a rally in his native Maine.

Monday, January 3rd, 1972: Senator Vance Hartke (D-IN) announces he will seek the Democratic nomination in an op-ed published by the Washington Post, in which he outlines the Nixon administration’s “systemic failures” and criticizes the “culture of mistrust” in the White House. Hartke follows the announcement by making a trip to New Hampshire to court votes, where he finds that his name recognition is almost entirely nonexistent. Even worse for his small campaign staff is the Senators failure to score the endorsement of Senator Bayh, who had run for President briefly himself the year before.

Ed Muskie.
Tuesday, January 4th, 1972:
Rumford, ME.
10:30 A.M.

220px-Ed-Muskie-at-Earth-Day-1970-web.jpg

It seemed as if every Democrat in Maine had descended upon the small town in Oxford County where Senator Ed Muskie was born. Hundreds of supporters had flocked to the rally that he was soon to address, expecting to hear his presidential campaign announcement after over a year of speculation. The Democratic Senator from Maine and 1968 Vice Presidential nominee had overtaken his running mate in the polls, leading Senator Humphrey by the thinnest of margins throughout the latter half of the year as the media crowned him the frontrunner. A strong start out of the gate, compounded by a strong win in neighboring New Hampshire, would hopefully be enough to scare Humphrey out of the race entirely. This would allow Muskie to consolidate the Democratic Party’s New Dealer base of labor liberals around his candidacy and cement his position as the one to beat. His path to victory was so clear that he couldn’t help but feel overconfident.

“I have come home to Maine to announce my decision to seek the office of President of the United States.

I believe America can once again be a nation of moral leadership and high purpose…a symbol of hope for all mankind. But tonight, our bombs are still falling on Indochina. Tonight, forty of us will be murdered and a thousand of us will be robbed on our own streets, or even in our own homes.

Tonight, five million of us will go to bed knowing that there is no job to wake up for in the morning. Tonight, we are a divided and doubtful people, lacking a sense of purpose, worried about the lives we lead and anxious about the lives we will leave our children.

This is not what America should be.

Most of us feel the country is headed in the wrong direction. Many feel powerless to stop it. To them I say: we can do something about these problems.

Our capacity to work together, once we talk to one another and understand each other, is as deep as it was when the first Americans founded the country and when we welcomed the immigrants. There is not a single problem we do not have the resources to solve if our fears and quiet our doubts and renew our search for the common good.

And in that effort, the President must lead. A President must find and touch the common chords of our experience, challenge us to respond to our instincts, and to realize America's potential as a country that for this planet can be full justice for every member of a society.

It would be foolish to blame all the nation's ills on the present administration. Some are part of the stresses of modern society. Others are rooted in the injustices of history. But government can lead. It can be truthful. And if our present leadership had been candid with the country, if they had been straightforward, we could have far more than we have.

We were promised an end to the war. We have been given a continuing war with more American deaths, more American prisoners taken, and a resumption of the massive bombing which was stopped in 1968. We were promised price stability and prosperity. We have been given 6% inflation, 6% unemployment, the first trade deficit since 1893, an astronomical balance of payments deficit, a world monetary crisis, and forced devaluation of the dollar. We were promised domestic peace. We have been given rising crime, a spreading drug culture, the administration’s intimidation of the press, surveillance of private citizens, restriction of constitutional liberties, and a growing distrust of each other and our government.

An administration that has so failed us in the past cannot take us to the future.

So this is what I offer you, and challenge you: I am seeking the Presidency, not merely to change presidents, but to change the country. I intend to lead. I intend to ask you to make America what it was to Abraham Lincoln- “the last best hope of mankind.” I intend to ask you to try - and to be willing to try again if we fail - in our fight to keep America as the world’s last great hope.”

Wednesday, January 5th, 1972: President Nixon announces from his San Clemente vacation residence that NASA will develop a reusable Space Shuttle program to replace the Apollo rocket program.

Thursday, January 6th, 1972: In reference to Senator Muskie’s decision to run for President, Senator Humphrey tells reporters on Capitol Hill that he will “not base my decision on any particular challenger” and states that he will not be “scared out of the race.” Humphrey lastly confirms that he will make a major speech at Independence Hall in Philadelphia on Monday afternoon.

Friday, January 7th, 1972: George Wallace ally Tom Turnipseed tells the Washington Post that “the launch countdown is on” in what he thought was an off the record conversation with one of their reporters. He does not give a specific date as to when the Alabama Governor will enter the Democratic primaries.

Saturday, January 8th, 1972: Former Governor McKeithen finds himself in a televised exchange at a townhall event in Sanford, Florida, after an elderly man angrily confronts him for “clamping down on the Klan” and “getting into bed with the coloreds.” McKeithen forcefully replies that he “ain’t interested in the Klan’s endorsement” and that he won’t “pander to nobody, nowhere, no-how, no way” to the amusement of the audience. Audio of the exchange is broadcast on radio nationwide, endearing the former Governor to liberals who were slightly less skeptical of the Governor.

Sunday, January 9th, 1972: Congressman Wilbur Mills (D-AR), Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, tells reporters that he is interested in pursuing a presidential campaign in 1972. “I’m the only one who can beat Nixon” he boasted, “because I know how Washington works and I know that the voters know that too.” Many dismiss Mills' bluster, though some speculation lingers that he could enter the race as a favorite son candidate in his native Arkansas.

Hubert Humphrey.
Monday, January 10th, 1972:
Philadelphia, PA.
Independence Hall.

pr23508.jpg

I have just signed a certificate declaring my candidacy for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States. I chose this historic site of Philadelphia to sign my declaration because it was here that our republic was born -- this city of William Penn who spoke of peace and brotherhood and Thomas Jefferson and gave us the great documents of our democracy. It was here that “We the people…” was proclaimed as the foundation of our institutions.

The next President of the United States will join all Americans in commemorating the 200th anniversary our country. Will we then be a country at peace with others? Will we be a country at peace with ourselves? Will we have healed the wounds of war, violence, and bitterness? Will our system of government be sensitive and responsive to the pressures of change that flooded in upon us? Or will we be paralyzed or muscle-bound? Will we have stirred America to a higher standard of living and a better quality of life? Will Americans be at work – building, creating, developing? Or will we still be limping along, despondent, divided and discouraged?

These are the great issues of this election. The man who occupies the Presidency has the obligation and the opportunity to revive that feeling of common purpose which once inspired this nation -- that mutual respect among the generations, among the races in the groups in this country.

It is all very fine to speak of peace. But I early decided that talk would be wasted if we could not get concrete action, and I’m proud of my role as an architect of the first treaty to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons.

In my years of governments experience I have learned on other essential fact: we might suffer an occasional defeat. We all do. But with determination and faith, a man or a nation can grow from defeat.
Persistence and tenacity are old American virtues. I was defeated for Mayor the first time I ran for office -- but I was elected the second time. I was defeated for the Vice Presidential nomination the first time -- but I was later nominated and elected. I was defeated for the Presidential nomination in 1960 -- but I was nominated 1968. I was defeated in the Presidential election of 1968. But I return to the battle determined to mind to do my best to achieve victory in 1972.

We Americans have gone too much of the same kinds of trial and error, of victory and defeat, together. We have had disappointments -- we have taken some severe blows in the last several years. But I know we, the American People, are determined to get back on our feet, to put our house in order, and to get our country moving again. Those who would lead the American people must demonstrate capacity for achievement. That should be the essential criterion, and it is that judgment that I would ask from the American people.

Let me now conclude by reading to you from an undelivered speech of a young President whose philosophy I share. He did not live to see his commitments fulfilled. The words of John F. Kennedy:

“For this is the time for courage and a time for challenge. Neither conformity nor complacency will do. Neither the fanatics nor the fainthearted are needed. And our duty as a party is not to our party alone, but to the nation, and indeed, to all mankind…

“Let us not quarrel amongst ourselves when our nation’s future is at stake. Let us stand together with renewed confidence in our cause -- united in our heritage of the past and our hopes for the future – and determined that this land we love shall lead all mankind into new frontiers of peace and abundance.”

With your trust and confidence we shall fulfill this commitment and achieve these goals. Thank you.

Tuesday, January 11th, 1972: President Nixon announces he will seek a second term in 1972, formally filing for the New Hampshire primary ballot before confirming his candidacy in a nationally televised address to the nation.

George Wallace.
Thursday, January 13th, 1972:
Montgomery, AL.
12:00 P.M.

34986630803_48c7c4b10f_c.jpg
“My friends, America todays need strong and honest leadership. We haven’t had that for a good long while now, and where we are today is the proof of that. Now I have no illusions about the ultimate outcome of the race-we’re gonna shake up the Democratic Party and we’re gonna shake some sense into Washington, and friends, ‘we ‘gonna do it good!

When we live in the most prosperous nation on earth, but our elderly are forced to choose between medicine or groceries even in the era of the “Great Society,” we know we need to do some ‘shakin. When we got these long haired, short tempered little punks rolling into our capital to raise chaos, and when our President is under siege in the White House, you know the time has come for new leadership. When the President of the United States lies on to ‘yalls faces on the television, and you know the truth and you know that he knows too, then the time has come for change.

I want to shake the change into Washington. The truth is, and you know it and Nixon knows it, is that America doesn’t need a Richard Nixon or a George McGovern. What they need is someone with some common sense, who hasn’t lost sight of his roots and who has spent his career ‘walkin, not ‘talkin. I’m that man.

I’m not ‘gonna tell you what you want to hear, nor am I going to tell you what ‘yall can think. I’m just ‘gonna tell the truth, and then I’m ‘gonna listen to you, fight for you, and at the end I’m gonna win this thing for you, because I’m a candidate for the Democratic Party’s nomination in 1972! So I ask that you join with me and get on board, so we can make things right in America once again!”

Friday, January 14th, 1972: Jesse Jackson and other civil rights activists and progressive organizers announce the establishment of PUSH (People United to Save Humanity), an organization that Jackson quickly comes to dominate; within a decades time, PUSH will become one of the largest, most active, and well organized civil rights groups in the country.

Saturday, January 15th, 1972: Just one day after her father King Frederick IX of Denmark died, Queen Margarethe II of Denmark is proclaimed the small Nordic kingdom’s new monarch on the balcony of the royal palace in Copenhagen.

Sunday, January 16th, 1972: The Dallas Cowboys beat the Miami Dolphins 24-3 in Super Bowl VI.

Monday, January 17th, 1972: Mao Zedong secretly designates his Premier Zhou Enlai as his successor, though he makes this clear only to a handful of trusted top party cadres and his allies in the People’s Liberation Army. The Chinese dictator’s previous intended successor was Lin Biao, but his attempt the year earlier to overthrow the regime of the “Great Helmsman” and mysterious death in a subsequent plane crash had thrown Mao’s vision for China’s future into chaos. Despite anointing Zhou as his apparent successor, the Chairman continues to audition other rising stars in the party, hoping a more ideologically inclined successor can emerge.

Tuesday, January 18th, 1972: In an appearance on the CBS Evening News, Democratic presidential candidate and former Louisiana Governor John McKeithen insists that he “isn’t afraid of Governor Wallace” and predicts victory in the upcoming Florida primary, a state the McKeithen campaign is contesting aggressively.

Wednesday, January 19th, 1972: The start of a six-month long saga in the South Pacific begins when a group of libertarian activists, led by a Las Vegas businessman, land on the unclaimed, submerged Minerva atoll roughly 250 miles away from Tonga. They declare the waterlogged sandbar “the Republic of Minerva,” a libertarian microstate that is free of taxation and other forms of “economic oppression.” The plan is for the activists to slowly raise the atoll with sand brought in on barges from Australia in order to go above sea level, giving them the land necessary to develop a settlement upon.

Thursday, January 20th, 1972: At a summit in Geneva, the representatives of the various member nations of OPEC agree to an 8% raise in the price of oil, raising the price per barrel.

President Nixon delivers the State of the Union in the form of a written report to Congress.

Saturday, January 22nd, 1972: Representatives of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, and Norway sign a Treaty of Ascension with the European Economic Community; voters in each country will decide whether their nation joins the EEC or not via referendum.

Sunday, January 23rd, 1972: Shoichi Yokoi, 56, is discovered by two hunters on Guam. The former Japanese soldier had been aware that the Second World War had ended decades ago but refused to surrender due to his strongly held Shintoist beliefs.

Monday, January 24th, 1972: The Iowa caucuses are conducted; neither Congressman McCloskey (R-CA) nor Congressman Ashbrook (R-OH) contested the Republican caucus, which President Nixon won effectively unopposed.

On the Democratic side, the exact popular vote is unknown, though it is clear that Senator Muskie was the favorite of Iowa Democrats. Muskie, who was the 1968 Vice Presidential nominee of the Democratic Party, is crowned the frontrunner after winning the most delegates in Iowa.

1972 Iowa Democratic Caucus: 2,600 Precinct Delegates, 46 Delegates.
Edmund Muskie: 29.54%-768 votes, 18 delegates.
John McKeithen: 23.87%-621 votes, 14 delegates.
George McGovern: 23.65%-615 votes, 14 delegates.
Uncommitted: 14.52%-378 votes.
Hubert Humphrey: 6.79%-177 votes.
George Wallace: 0.59%-15 votes.
Henry Jackson: 0.42%-11 votes.
Vance Hartke: 0.35%-9 votes.
Eugene McCarthy: 0.27%-7 votes.

Shirley Chisholm.
Tuesday, January 25th, 1972:
Brooklyn, NY.

black-history-facts-gettyimages-3240579.jpg
“I stand before you today as a candidate for the Democratic nomination for the Presidency of the United States of America.

I am not the candidate of black America, although I am black and proud. I am not the candidate of the women’s movement of this country, although I am a woman, and I am equally proud of that. I am not the candidate of any political bosses or fat cats or special interests. I stand here now without any big endorsements from many big name politicians or celebrities or any other kind of prop. I do not intend to offer to you the tired and glib clichés, which for too long have been an accepted part of our political life. I am the candidate of the people of America. And my presence before you now symbolizes a new era in American political history.

I have always earnestly believed in the great potential of America…our constitutional democracy will soon celebrate its 200th anniversary, effective testimony, to the longevity to our cherished constitution and its unique bill of rights, which continues to give to the world an inspirational message of freedom and liberty.

Fellow Americans, we have looked in vain to the Nixon administration for the courage, the spirit, the character and the words to lift us. To bring out the best in us, to rekindle in each of us our faith in the American dream. Yet all we have received in return is just another smooth exercise in political manipulation, deceit and deception, callousness and indifference to our individual problems and a disgusting playing of devices politics. Pinning the young against the old, labor against management, north against south, black against white. The abiding concern of this administration has been one of political expediency, rather than the needs of man’s nature.

The president has broken his promises to us, and has therefore lost his claim to our trust and confidence in him. I cannot believe that this administration would ever have been elected four years ago, if we had known then what we know today. But we are entering a new era, in which we must, as Americans, must demand stature and size in our leadership-leadership, which is fresh, leadership, which is open, and leadership, which is receptive to the problems of all Americans.

I believe that they will show in 1972, and thereafter, that they intend to make individual judgments on the merits of a particular candidate, based on that candidates intelligence, character, physical ability, competence, integrity, and honesty. It is, I feel the duty of responsible leaders in this country to encourage and maximize, not to dismiss and minimize such judgment.

Americans all over are demanding a new sensibility, a new philosophy of government from Washington. Instead of sending spies to snoop on participants on Earth Day, I would welcome the efforts of concerned citizens of all ages to stop the abuse of our environment. Instead of watching a football game on television, while young people beg for the attention of their President concerning our actions abroad, I would encourage them to speak out, organize for peaceful change, and vote in November. Instead of blocking efforts to control huge amounts of money given political candidates by the rich and the powerful, I would provide certain limits on such amounts and encourage all people of this nation to contribute small sums to the candidates of their choice. Instead of calculating political cost of this or that policy, and of weighing in favors of this or that group, depending on whether that group voted for me in 1968, I would remind all Americans at this hour of the words of Abraham Lincoln, ‘A house divided, cannot stand.

In conclusion, all of you who share this vision, from New York to California, from Wisconsin to Florida, are brothers and sisters on the road to national unity and a new America. Those of you who were locked outside of the convention hall in 1968, those of you who can now vote for the first time, those of you who agree with me that the institutions of this country belong to all of the people who inhabit it. Those of you who have been neglected, left out, ignored, forgotten, or shunned aside for whatever reason, give me your help at this hour. Join me in an effort to reshape our society and regain control of our destiny as we go down the Chisholm Trail for 1972.”

Wednesday, January 26th, 1972: President Nixon announces that secret discussions between Henry Kissinger and North Vietnamese officials have resulted in a tentative agreement to hold peace talks. Though the North Vietnamese turned down the specific proposal offered by President Nixon, they agreed to future rounds of talks set to take place in the coming months. The news, announced by President Nixon in yet another Oval Office address, was followed by an impromptu press conference conducted by Henry Kissinger in which beamingly predicted “a permanent peace by the end of the year.”

Thursday, January 27th, 1972: Attorney General John Mitchell, in his capacity as Director of the Committee to Re-Elect the President, meets with CREEPs chief counsel G. Gordon Liddy in his office at the Justice Department, where Liddy lays out “the gemstone plan.” The plan, which Liddy insisted required a budget of a million dollars, involved, amongst other things, the kidnapping of protest organizers, the hiring of prostitutes to disrupt and spy upon the Democratic nomination, and the use of private investigators and wiretapping to investigate potential rivals. Mitchell denies Liddy the money needed for such operations but does keep him on the staff despite the illegal nature of his proposed plan.

Friday, January 28th, 1972: Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm hits the campaign trail for the first time since announcing her candidacy, addressing a packed audience at Florida Agricultural and Mechanics University (a historically black college) in Tallahassee, Florida.

Sunday, January 30th, 1972: British soldiers stationed in Derry in Northern Ireland find themselves confronted by a crowd of republican protestors, resulting in the soldiers opening fire on the mob. 14 people are killed and 14 people injured in “Bloody Sunday.” The event is the start of a dramatic escalation of “The Troubles” that would plague Northern Ireland for years to come.

Monday, January 31st, 1972: Florida Governor Reuben Askew warns Florida Democrats that George Wallace is “a loosing gamble” for the Democratic Party, but does not endorse a specific candidate over the Alabama Governor, who has been actively campaigning in Florida ahead of it’s primary in March.

Independent/Other: 4%

George McGovern: 20%
George Wallace: 12%

I hope America can avoid being a dictatorship or breaking apart as it did in the sequel to the TL which inspired this.

I hope America can avoid being a dictatorship or breaking apart as it did in the sequel to the TL which inspired this.
Without going into detail as to how, Rumsfeldia will be averted, and the United States will indeed remain battered but intact.

Chapter 14: February 1972.
Tuesday, February 1st, 1972: Congressman Edwin Edwards defeats Republican David Treen to be elected Governor of Louisiana; Edwards succeeds incumbent Taddy Aycock, who in turn only recently succeeded McKeithen upon his resignation to run for President.

Wednesday, February 2nd, 1972: Enraged by the events of Bloody Sunday, a mob in Dublin, Ireland storms and torches the British Embassy. The embassy had been evacuated and emptied of important information in the days leading up to the riot.

Thursday, February 3rd, 1972: The Federal Communications Commission issues new regulations that dramatically alter the cable television industry; the ruling by the FCC effectively puts cable television under the regulatory jurisdiction of the committee.

Friday, February 4th, 1972: Kenneth Kuanda, the autocratic Zambian President, bans opposition parties and imprisons his own former Vice President as part of an effort to consolidate his power. Insisting that his rivals were in the pocket of British, Rhodesian, and South African intelligence agencies, Kuanda embarks on a leftward swing that incorporates socialism and African nationalism into his governing ideology.

Sunday, February 6th, 1972: President Nixon, through National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger, unsuccessfully asks China to arrange a secret meeting with North Vietnamese peace negotiators. The desired meeting would have taken place during the President’s upcoming trip to China.

Monday, February 7th, 1972: Keith Holyoake resigns as Prime Minister of New Zealand, replaced by Jack Marshall. Holyoake, who governed for eleven years as Prime Minister, was a member of the National Party and a supported the United States position in the Vietnam War throughout his tenure in office.

Tuesday, February 8th, 1972: Congressman John Ashbrook (R-OH), one of President Nixon’s two challengers for the Republican nomination, quips “I don’t mind Nixon going to China – I just don’t want him to come back” while campaigning in New Hampshire. Despite the support of the John Birch Society, Ashbrook’s longshot challenge to Nixon appears to be floundering as he fares poorly in successive polls in the Granite State.

Wednesday, February 9th, 1972: Prime Minister Edward Heath declares a state of emergency in the UK as a coal miners strike continues, with coal stockpiles dwindling as workers refuse to go back to the mines until their demands are met.

Thursday, February 10th, 1972: The United States and South Vietnam conduct a 24 hour long bombing run targeting over 400 locations in North Vietnam, making it one of the most destructive aerial operations of the Vietnam War. Secretary of Defense Melvin Laird hails the bombing raids as a success, highlighting the amount of military, industrial, and infrastructure targets that had been disabled or destroyed by the attacks.

Friday, February 11th, 1972: French President Pompidou and West German Chancellor Willy Brandt announce plans for further European integration, including the establishment of a monetary and customs union.

Saturday, February 12th, 1972: The 1972 Arizona Democratic caucuses are conducted.

1972 Arizona Democratic Caucus: 499 State Caucus Delegates, 25 Delegates.
Edmund Muskie: 30.08%-150 votes, 9 delegates.
John Lindsay: 23.58%-118 votes, 7 delegates.
George McGovern: 18.39%-92 votes, 5 delegates.
John McKeithen: 16.22%-81 votes, 4 delegates.
Uncommitted: 10.00%-50 votes.
Henry Jackson: 0.85%-5 votes.
Shirley Chisholm: 0.48%-2 votes.
George Wallace: 0.25%-1 vote.
Eugene McCarthy: 0.15%-1 vote.

genusmap.php
Democratic Delegate Count
Edmund Muskie: 27 delegates.
George McGovern: 19 delegates.
John McKeithen: 18 delegates.
John Lindsay: 7 delegates.

Sunday, February 13th, 1972: Congressman Wilbur Mills (D-AR) announces he will seek the Democratic presidential nomination in 1972 at a small rally in Little Rock. The longshot candidacy of the long serving Congressman is overshadowed regionally by Governors McKeithen and Wallace.

Monday, February 14th, 1972: Ecuadorian President José María Velasco Ibarra is deposed in a military coup less than 24 hours before he planned to address the nation about the plot to oust him. General Guillermo Rodríguez ascends to the Presidency in the aftermath of the coup.

Tuesday, February 15th, 1972: While the other major candidates focus on the upcoming New Hampshire primary a month away, Governors McKeithen and Wallace go to war with one another in Florida on the airwaves. McKeithen attacks Wallace as unelectable, and runs ads that negatively highlight Wallace’s record on race relations (including footage of the “stand in the schoolhouse door” incident) while Wallace paints McKeithen as a corrupt and shady politician.

Wednesday, February 16th, 1972: Attorney General John Mitchell resigns to head the Committee to Re-elect the President (CREEP). To replace him at the Justice Department’s top post is Richard Kleindienst, the Deputy Attorney General of the United States. To replace the Deputy Attorney, the President will nominate Joseph Tyree Sneed III, a law professor at Stamford. Likewise, Secretary of Commerce Maurice Stans also resigns to take up a position at CREEP, though a replacement is not immediately named to head the Department of Commerce.

Thursday, February 17th, 1972: The United Kingdom’s House of Commons votes 309-301 to approve the treaty allowing for British membership in the European Economic Community. Heath had threatened to resign and call a general election should the bill not have been put through the House of Commons, making it a de-facto referendum on the parliament’s confidence in his leadership.

Friday, February 18th, 1972: President Nixon nominates Bell and Howell CEO Pete Peterson as Secretary of Commerce; Peterson’s nomination came highly recommended by his predecessor at the company, Senator Charles Percy (R-IL). Peterson’s nomination is largely overshadowed by the President’s impending state visit to China.

Saturday, February 19th, 1972: A Radio Hanoi press conference involving five recently captured American POWs is conducted in North Vietnam, with the prisoners being forced to read propaganda screeds denouncing the United States.

Richard Nixon.
Sunday, February 20th, 1972:
Somewhere over the Pacific.
Air Force One.

Nixon_in_Pres_cabin_of_AFO.jpg
Air Force One glided over the Pacific, with Red China nearing within an hour’s time. As the presidential plane made it’s final descent towards Peking, the President was aloof as usual, riding out much of the flight alone in the private in-flight office. There was a knock at the door, and Nixon groveled for the unknown caller to enter. It was Kissinger.

“Mr. President, we are nearing Peking.”

“Are we Henry? Good. Good.”

“It has been a long flight, I hope you are not tired. Perhaps you should retire to rest for a bit?”

“Never felt more awake, Henry.”
Nixon’s somewhat sleepy tone seemed to suggest that this was exaggeration.

“We are to be received at some point in the next twenty-four hours by the Chairman himself, this will no doubt be the highest of the high-level discussions that will take place.” Nixon, looked up at Kissinger with annoyance. The pomposity of the National Security Adviser often got on the President’s nerves, and his ability to state the obvious as if it were both profound and novel would never fail to make the President feel condescended.

“Have the media assembled on the tarmac?” asked Nixon, his curiosity roused by the potential diplomatic triumph in the making and the subsequent good press that would come from that.

“They are already broadcasting from Peking, Mr. President, in preparation for your arrival. All three networks will cover the ceremony.”

“Let’s see them spin this against me”
grumbled the President sardonically.

“If you don’t meet their expectations, whatever they may happen to be, they will call this visit “the rape of Peking.” Insolent bastards.”

“Every last one of them” agreed the President, “all of them.”

“Well, as they now say…Mr. President, “only Nixon can go to China.” And they cannot take that away from you.”

Sunday, February 20th, 1972: Air Force One touches down in Peking, where President Nixon and the First Lady are greeted on the tarmac by Premier Zhou Enlai of the People’s Republic of China. The handshake and arrival ceremony is watched by an audience of millions in the United States, with Nixon’s tour scheduled to last a week.

Monday, February 21st, 1972: President Nixon meets with Chairman Mao quietly alongside National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger at his compound in Peking; the ailing Chinese dictator is photographed speaking with Nixon, though much of the content of their discussions is not immediately known.

Tuesday, February 22nd, 1972: Ahmad bin Ali Al Thani, Emir of Qatar, is deposed by his own family and replaced as head of state of the small Gulf state by his cousin, Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani. The exiled Emir flees to London, where he resides until his death in 1977.

Wednesday, February 23rd, 1972: President Nixon and the First Lady tour the Great Wall of China in a widely watched international broadcast as the presidential tour of China continues into it’s fourth day.

Thursday, February 24th, 1972: Protesting the ongoing bombing of Hanoi, the North Vietnamese delegation walks out of peace talks in Paris, much to the chagrin of National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger.

Friday, February 25th, 1972: British coal miners end a crippling strike after the National Coal Board votes to raise their wages by 20%.

Saturday, February 26th, 1972: Ed Muskie finds himself in hot water in New Hampshire when a letter written on official campaign stationary circulates, in which he is alleged to have derogatively referred to French-Canadians in New Hampshire as “Canucks.”

Sunday, February 27th, 1972: The New Hampshire Union Leader reports on Ed Muskie’s wife Jane’s alleged alcoholism, as well as Muskie’s rumored addiction to Ibogaine. The traditionally right-leaning paper’s reporting has been strongly criticized by New Hampshire Democrats in the wake of the story.

Monday, February 28th, 1972: President Nixon returns to Washington after an eight-day visit to the People’s Republic of China which had been wildly successful. The President predicts that his visit will serve as an “opening” for China, which has been largely isolated from the western world in the years following the communist takeover of Peking.

Tuesday, February 29th, 1972: Senator Edmund Muskie (D-ME) leads a protest outside the offices of the New Hampshire Union Leader, where he forcefully condemns the paper’s coverage of his candidacy and their involvement in what he alleges is a smear campaign directed at his wife. The impassioned speech by Muskie takes place in heavy snowfall, giving him the appearance of being tearful during his address to supporters. The unfortunate image of the Senator is capitalized on by the Nixon campaign and their allies, who proliferate the image of a tearful Senator in order to portray him as weak and overly emotional.

Undecided: 5%
Independent/Other: 5%

George McGovern: 21%
Edmund Muskie: 18%
Hubert Humphrey: 17%
John McKeithen: 13%
John Lindsey: 5%
Shirley Chisholm: 4%

Chapter 15: March 1972. New
Wednesday, March 1st, 1972: Juan Maria Bordaberry is sworn in as Uruguay’s latest “civilian” President, though the country remains in effectively in the control of a military junta as an ongoing leftist urban insurgency continues in cities across the country.

Thursday, March 2nd, 1972: The fallout from Muskie’s speech grows as the Committee to Reelect the President grows increasingly active in their campaign of sabotage and meddling within the Democratic primary. As the New Hampshire primary nears, fliers featuring a picture of a seemingly crying Muskie are circulated by mail to tens of thousands New Hampshire voters. The letterhead used in the letters read “paid for by the McGovern for President Committee,” which McGovern denies. While the South Dakota Senator labels the effort “a dirty trick” on the part of the President, it does ignite a small turf war between volunteers for the Muskie and McGovern campaigns as the primary looms.

Saturday, March 4th, 1972: The New Hampshire Union Leader issues an editorial endorsing President Nixon for reelection, while encouraging New Hampshire Democrats to vote for Sam Yorty, who is reportedly publisher William Loeb’s favored candidate.

Sunday, March 5th, 1972: British Prime Minister Edward Heath announces the British military will immediately quit using “deep interrogation” methods such as sleep deprivation of terror suspects. The British government’s efforts to discard the use of what critics call torture is largely the result of the Prime Minister’s desire to pacify the situation in Northern Ireland.

Monday, March 6th, 1972: Immigration officials in the United States announce the revocation of John Lennon’s visa, a decision that is reportedly the result of his criticisms of the Nixon administration. White House Press Secretary Ron Zeigler denies the President had any involvement or interest in Lennon’s immigration status.

Tuesday, March 7th, 1972: The New Hampshire primaries are held; on the Republican side, President Nixon holds off Congressmen Ashbrook (R-OH) and McCloskey (R-CA) with over 90% of the vote in his favor. Both challengers drop out of the race in the aftermath of their poor performances in the Granite State. The Democratic primary is narrowly won by Senator Muskie over Senator McGovern.

1972 New Hampshire Democratic Primary: 86,174 Votes, 20 Delegates.
Edmund Muskie: 37.22%-32,073 votes, 11 delegates.
George McGovern: 34.33%-29,583 votes, 9 delegates.
Sam Yorty: 6.66%-5,739 votes.
Uncommitted: 5.47%-4,713 votes.
John Lindsay: 5.29%-4,558 votes.
Wilbur Mills: 4.55%-3,446 votes.
Henry Jackson: 1.36%-1,172 votes.
Edward Kennedy: 1.36%-1,172 votes.
John McKeithen: 1.25%-1,077 votes.
Hubert Humphrey: 0.90%-776 votes.
George Wallace: 0.67%-577 votes.
Shirley Chisholm: 0.51%-439 votes.
Eugene McCarthy: 0.43%-371 votes.

Edmund Muskie: 38 delegates.
George McGovern: 28 delegates.
John McKeithen: 18 delegates.

Wednesday, March 8th, 1972: Former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford announces his candidacy for President in a statement to the Associated Press after supporters had managed to get his name onto the Florida primary ballot. Though Sanford has not officially campaigned until this point, a small but dedicated draft movement has existed throughout the previous year.

Thursday, March 9th, 1972: The East German Volkskammer votes to extend the right to have an abortion to all women; previously, abortion was legal in East Germany, though the decision as to whether a woman could have one was reserved by government or party committees.

Friday, March 10th, 1972: While campaigning on a whistle-stop train tour down Florida’s east coast, Ed Muskie is again harassed by an unknown saboteur. The saboteur, who claimed to be Rolling Stone journalist Hunter S. Thompson, boarded the Muskie train in West Palm Beach, Florida, and proceeded to drink heavily and harass female staffers before being removed from the train in Vero Beach. The unknown and unwelcomed guest on the campaign train also caused a brief panic when he told the staff that he had spiked their drinks with LSD.

Saturday, March 11th, 1972: The Florida primary continues to loom, with McKeithen campaigning aggressively in South Florida’s three major counties, where his main competition isn’t so much George Wallace as it was Henry Jackson. Wallace meanwhile hits the campaign trail in smaller rural counties in the northern part of the state, where he drums up support among the core of his base.

Sunday, March 12th, 1972: Governor Wallace predicts that President Nixon will issue a busing moratorium should he win the Florida primary.

Monday, March 13th, 1972: Florida Governor Reuben Askew endorses John McKeithen for the Democratic presidential nomination a day before the Florida primary. Askew’s endorsement was also aggressively courted by Governor Wallace and Senator Jackson.

Tuesday, March 14th, 1972: The Florida primary is conducted.

1972 Florida Democratic Primary: 1,264,554 Votes, 81 Delegates.
John McKeithen: 27.89%-352,684 votes, 31 delegates.
George Wallace: 27.11%-342,820 votes, 29 delegates.
Henry Jackson: 17.44%-220,538 votes, 21 delegates.
Hubert Humphrey: 12.80%-161,862 votes.
Edmund Muskie: 6.50%-82,196 votes.
John Lindsay: 2.79%-35,281 votes.
George McGovern: 1.95%- 24,659 votes.
Shirley Chisholm: 1.85%-23,394 votes.
Terry Sanford: 0.58%-7,334 votes.
Sam Yorty: 0.49%-6,196 votes.
Wilbur Mills: 0.38%-4,805 votes.
Eugene McCarthy: 0.22%-2,782 votes.

genusmap.php
John McKeithen: 49 delegates.
Edmund Muskie: 38 delegates.
George Wallace: 29 delegates.
Henry Jackson: 21 delegates.

George Wallace.
Wednesday, March 15th, 1972:
Tallahassee, FL.
Hotel Duval.
12:05 A.M.

dnd0835.jpg
“WALLACE! WALLACE! WALLACE! WALLACE!”

The crowd’s thunderous cheers shook the floors and rocked the rafters of the crowded ballroom. A band played Dixie as the audience clapped along with enthusiasm; the Hotel Duval would host Governor Wallace’s election night rally, just a few blocks away from the Governor’s mansion to the annoyance of Reuben Askew. Though the results were not fully in, it became clear that Governors McKeithen and Wallace were going to virtually tie one another in a close race. With the electorate of Florida being so evenly split between the two southern Governors, neither candidate could claim a true mandate, and thus, victory alluded them both in the end. Now, they were in a game of chicken, knowing that whoever spoke first would be perceived as giving a concession speech. But with McKeithen holding a narrow lead of around 10,000 votes, it became increasingly clear to Wallace that the night would drag on with or without him. So at last, he finally took to the stage to deliver yet another fiery speech one which he knew millions would be watching on television.

“Friends, let’s me tell you something, we’re rolling out of Florida with the most delegates, and we’re going to be off soon for Wisconsin, but don’t ‘ya worry, because I’ll be back when me and my delegates coming storming into Miami!”

The crowd erupted in applause. They were a wild and rowdy bunch, stomping and cheering, ‘hooping and hollering. The Governor continued.

“Tonight, the good and fine folk of Florida have made it clear that they’re tired of business as usual in Washington. They want someone to go up to Washington and fight for them and shake things up. And I’m prepared to do just that!

We’ve been talking about a lot of things that it seems the other fellows have forgotten. We’re talking about the constitution and state’s rights and local government. We’ve never been against anyone on account of who they happen to be and never have. And the boys in the press and the elites in Washington, they know that. That’s why they have to lie about us.

But when they lie about me, they’re really slandering you. When they call me a bigot because I oppose school busing, they’re really telling you to stand back and shut up. When they call me an extremist, they’re voicing their contempt for you. And when they say that I’m divisive, what they’re really saying is that they’re afraid of you.

Well tonight folks, Florida has put the fear of God into those liars!

This policy to achieve integration by way of racial busing of schoolchildren is asinine. And let me tell you this much, when Nixon was in Red China visiting with the Chairman, I bet you he and Mao ‘Tse Dung agreed on busing more than anything else.”

The crowd erupted with laughter and continued to chant “WALLACE! WALLACE! WALLACE! WALLACE!” The energy in the room was palpable; he had them in the palm of his hands. Though he had likely finished second place to McKeithen, Wallace was as confident as ever that he could dispatch McKeithen once and for all in a more traditional southern electorate, eying North Carolina for that particular opportunity.

“Nixon is afraid of us” Wallace continued, booming into the microphone, and lifting his arm out to point towards the crowd of supporters. “Nothing scares Tricky Dick more than these three words: we the people.”

The audience roared again in applause.

“So we ‘gonna make our voices heard, everywhere we go, we ‘gonna make ourselves heard ‘yall!”

Wednesday, March 15th, 1972: The last Indian troops leave Bangladesh with the independence of the former Pakistani territory of East Pakistan being secured. Tensions between the militaries of India and Pakistan remain along their shared border, particularly in the still disputed Kashmir region.

Thursday, March 16th, 1972: President Nixon signs an executive order prohibiting school busing as a means of integration. This comes days after Governor Wallace predicted the President would make such a move.

Friday, March 17th, 1972: Lon Nol proclaims himself President of the Khmer Republic, a position that has been vacant for two years since the removal of Prince Sihanouk and the abolition of the previous monarchy.

Saturday, March 18th, 1972: With the Illinois primary nearing, Senator Muskie and Senator McCarthy go to war against one another. Being the only two candidates on the primary ballot in the state, McCarthy and Muskie both see a chance to distinguish themselves to the broader electorate by performing strong in the state.

Sunday, March 19th, 1972: Prime Minister Indira Gandhi of India and Prime Minister Sheikh Mujibur Rahman of Bangladesh ink a formal treaty of cooperation, establishing a military alliance between the two nations to the disgust of Pakistan.

Monday, March 20th, 1972: Greece’s military dictator Georgios Papadopoulos assumes the role of “regent” of Greece in the absence of exiled King Constantine II, in addition to his positions as Prime Minister, effectively giving him absolute power in the country.

Tuesday, March 21st, 1972: The Illinois primary is held.

1972 Illinois Democratic Primary: 1,225,290 Votes, 153 Delegates.
Edmund Muskie: 47.63%-583,605 votes, 76 delegates.
Uncommitted: 25.90%-317,350 votes, 43 delegates.
Eugene McCarthy: 22.37%-274,097 votes, 37 delegates.
Edward Kennedy: 4.10%-50,236 votes.

genusmap.php
Edmund Muskie: 114 delegates.
John McKeithen: 49 delegates.
Uncommitted: 43 delegates.
Eugene McCarthy: 37 delegates.
George Wallace: 29 delegates.

Wednesday, March 22nd, 1972: Pete Peterson is confirmed 92-8 by the Senate, and is sworn in as Secretary of Commerce within hours of the vote by Vice President Agnew.

Thursday, March 23rd, 1972: The Senate votes 84-8 to adopt the Equal Rights Amendment after the House voted overwhelmingly in its favor in October of 1971. The passage of the Equal Rights Amendment sends it to the states, where it requires 35 states to ratify it in order to become part of the constitution.

Friday, March 24th, 1972: Prime Minister Edward Heath announces that the United Kingdom’s central government based in London will assume administration of Northern Ireland, dissolving the Northern Irish parliament at Stormont and giving Secretary of State for Northern Ireland William Whitelaw total authority over the sectarian strife ridden region.

Saturday, March 25th, 1972: Arturo Armando Molina is sworn in as President of El Salvador; a populist and somewhat left-leaning military officer, his impending inauguration is nearly foiled by a mutiny of right-wing officers in the military that is brutally put down. The new President assumes office in spite of the failed coup, much to the chagrin of the country’s ruling elites.

Sunday, March 26th, 1972: Days after assuming direct control of Northern Ireland, British Prime Minister Edward Heath is able to offset the controversy after his Secretary of State for Defense Lord Carrington is able to wrangle an agreement with Malta’s Prime Minister Dom Mintoff, who has been threatening to expel British troops from a military base in the Mediterranean island nation.

Monday, March 27th, 1972: Ugandan President Idi Amin expels all Israelis from the country after inking a military alliance with Libya’s dictator Muammar Qaddafi.

Tuesday, March 28th, 1972: With polls showing a four-way tie in Wisconsin ahead of their critical primary on April 4th, several candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination hit the ground in the state to curry favor from voters as the final week of the primary campaign in the Badger State commences.

After failing to make the ballot in most primary states, and with little support in the polls and even lower funding, Senator Vance Hartke announces he will end his campaign. Hartke throws his support behind Senator Humphrey after exiting the race.

Wednesday, March 29th, 1972: The House of Representatives passes the Clean Water Act by a margin of 365-75, sending the bill to conference with the Senate where it’ll find itself bogged down in a month’s long legislative process.

Thursday, March 30th, 1972: The NVA goes on the offensive, with thousands of troops and their Viet Cong allies pouring across the border into South Vietnam. With a force of 30,000 troops, the army assembled by the North Vietnamese is the largest conventional invasion force put together since the Chinese intervened in the Korean War in 1950. The invading army quickly overran South Vietnamese positions in the border province of Quang Tri due to their strong numbers and the element of surprise, aiming at taking the city of Hue near the border.

Friday, March 31st, 1972: Arthur Bremmer, a young mentally disturbed would-be assassin, attends a George Wallace rally in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He decides against shooting Wallace when the two come face to face due to his concern about hurting other rallygoers, but continues to stalk the Democratic presidential candidate as his obsession with assassinating either Nixon or Wallace grows.

Undecided: 5%
Independent/Other: 5%

George McGovern: 21%
Edmund Muskie: 17%
Hubert Humphrey: 16%
George Wallace: 15%
John McKeithen: 15%
John Lindsey: 4%
Sam Yorty: 2%
Wilbur Mills: 1%

Chapter 16: April 1972. New
Saturday, April 1st, 1972: As polls show McGovern holding the lead over the Democratic field for the second month in a row, the Muskie campaign – despite a string of victories in the early states and a strong lead in the delegate count – is in panic as the Wisconsin primary nears. With McCarthy having put a flailing Muskie on the defensive in Illinois, the Muskie campaign was unable to devote resources or their candidates time to the state. Polls show him in a distant fifth place in the state.

Sunday, April 2nd, 1972: Governor McKeithen appears on NBC’s Meet the Press, where he predicts victory in the upcoming Wisconsin primary. McKeithen’s victory in a northern state would be a major boost to his campaign and would give credence to his supporter’s arguments that he could unite the regional and ideological divides within the party.

Monday, April 3rd, 1972: Secretary of State William Rogers announces the United States will extend diplomatic recognition to the newly independent nation of Bangladesh.

Tuesday, April 4th, 1972: The Wisconsin primary is held.

1972 Wisconsin Democratic Primary: 1,129,095 Votes, 67 Delegates.
John McKeithen: 23.51%-265,450 votes, 17 delegates.
George McGovern: 22.35%-252,352 votes, 17 delegates.
Hubert Humphrey: 21.90%-247,271 votes, 17 delegates.
George Wallace: 20.41%-230,448 votes, 16 delegates.
Edmund Muskie: 7.95%-89,763 votes.
John Lindsay: 1.44%-16,258 votes.
Henry Jackson: 0.89%-10,048 votes.
Shirley Chisholm: 0.68%-7,677 votes.
Eugene McCarthy: 0.52%-5,871 votes.
Wilbur Mills: 0.35%-3,951 votes.

1714435230934.png

Edmund Muskie: 114 delegates.
John McKeithen: 66 delegates.
George McGovern: 45 delegates.
George Wallace: 45 delegates.
Hubert Humphrey: 17 delegates.

Wednesday, April 5th, 1972: The attention of the presidential candidates and press turns to the impending primaries in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, just twenty days away. Senator Humphrey hits the campaign trail in Pennsylvania proactively, where he rallies the labor movement behind his banner as he looks to use the state as a “launchpad” to propel his candidacy.

Thursday, April 6th, 1972: Over 400 American planes launch a massive aerial attack on Hanoi in response to the North Vietnamese Army invading South Vietnam as part of the ongoing Hue offensive. Hundreds of civilians are reportedly killed in the largescale air raid, the biggest to take place since 1968.

Friday, April 7th, 1972: The Jackson campaign recalibrates after a middling performance in Florida, with the Washington Senator traveling to Pennsylvania, where he kicks off his primary effort in the state by campaigning in Pittsburgh’s largely Jewish suburb of Squirrel Hill.

Saturday, April 8th, 1972: Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm scores a major endorsement when Washington D.C. Mayor Walter Fauntroy endorses her candidacy after the Congresswoman voiced her support for D.C. statehood.

Sunday, April 9th, 1972: The Baathist regime in Iraq signs a treaty of friendship and military cooperation with the Soviet Union, effectively bringing the Arab state into the communist world’s orbit. Alongside Egypt, Libya, and Syria, Iraq becomes the latest nation to trade their oil revenue for shipments of anti-aircraft weaponry and seemingly endless amounts of ammunition and Kalashnikovs.

Monday, April 10th, 1972: President Nixon signs the Seabed Treaty, which implements an international ban on testing nuclear weapons on the ocean floor.

Tuesday, April 11th, 1972: Senator McGovern begins an aggressive campaign in the state of Massachusetts, where he attempts unsuccessfully to wrangle the endorsement of Senator Kennedy. While his efforts to woo Kennedy fail, most of the state’s liberals who would have supported their own Senator otherwise rally behind McGovern as the next best choice.

Wednesday, April 12th, 1972: After their role in fostering the “ping pong diplomacy” that made Nixon’s wildly successful state visit to China possible, the Chinese National Table Tennis team arrives in the United States for a tour of the nation and a series of exhibition matches.

Thursday, April 13th, 1972: The Senate passes the War Powers Act by a vote of 68-16, restraining the President’s ability to send American soldiers into combat without Congressional authorization. Despite Nixon’s veto, the Senate convenes once again and overrides it by a margin of 68-16. The law now in force, the President must submit a formal request to Congress for all future combat missions lasting over 90 days.

Friday, April 14th, 1972: The Irish Republican Army explodes 14 bombs across Belfast on “Bloody Friday” as revenge for the 14 victims of the earlier “Bloody Sunday” massacre. The blasts kill 9 people, exploding within a half hour across the city of Belfast in one of the earliest coordinated terrorist attacks of “the Troubles.”

Saturday, April 15th, 1972: Mayor John Lindsey of New York City announces he will end his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination after a string of poor showings in the early states (spare Arizona) and dissipating funding. Lindsey does not endorse any candidate for the nomination, but vows to support the party’s eventual nominee against Nixon.

Sunday, April 16th, 1972: In an article that seems to boost McKeithen’s candidacy, the Washington Post outlines the Louisiana Governor’s attempts to woo Chicago Mayor Daley through Senator Russell Long (D-LA) ahead of the recent Illinois primary as part of a last-minute effort to get on the ballot in the state. The failure of the Governor’s campaign to appear on the primary ballot enables McKeithen to cast himself as an outsider who was hindered by the Chicago machine run by the influential Mayor Daley.

Edmund Muskie.
Monday, April 17th, 1972:
Worcester, MA.

1-senator-edmund-muskie-of-maine-bettmann.jpg

Nothing was going Senator Muskie’s way, it seemed, even though he was still, apparently, the frontrunner. But a weak frontrunner he was, having stumbled out the gate, limping through victory after victory in the small states while missing the boat entirely in Florida and Wisconsin. The campaign started with “dirty tricks” including the “Canuck Letter” (which Muskie was assured was Nixon’s doing), followed by those ghastly smears from the Loebs in New Hampshire. Since then, Muskie had been dogged in the press as “the crying candidate” but still choose to press on, even as doubts about his candidacy grew larger by the day.

Now it was all on the line; Massachusetts represented a chance to reset his campaign and score a major victory in the delegate rich state that was practically in his backyard. He had spent the last week crisscrossing the state from Springfield to Boston, knocking on doors and addressing rallies with increasingly dwindling crowd sizes. But the poll after poll seemed to show a growing McGovern lead as the state’s liberals flocked to the Prairie progressive’s message of peace, bread, and civil liberties.

“I never thought I’d be knocked out of the race in my own backyard” grumbled Muskie as he read the latest memo prepared by his campaign manager, “what am I doing wrong here? Why don’t they like me? I ran for Vice President, I pushed through the Clean Water Act, I’m for everything he’s for, so why is George on top here?”

Berl Bernhard, the Senator’s campaign manager and one of his most trusted henchmen, had an answer. “It’s Nixon’s doing” he said with a sigh, “remember those files that were stolen last year?”

“Yes, the scheduling briefs, I remember”
affirmed Muskie, “…you don’t think?”

“I do, Senator”
answered Bernhard, “they leaked them to McGovern. That’s why he’s hitting all the same ground we are.”

“Wallace is right about one thing”
said Muskie, “Nixon would take George to the woodshed. That’s why they’re doing this to us…is it too late to purge the campaign and bring in some untainted fresh new blood?”

The somber expression on Bernhard’s face gave him his answer.

Tuesday, April 18th, 1972: Senator McGovern predicts that Senator Muskie will drop out of the race if he loses Massachusetts, which would blow the Democratic primary race wide open. His prediction enthuses his supporters in the state, and grassroots McGovern supporters begin extensively canvasing across Boston.

Wednesday, April 19th, 1972: Three North Vietnamese MiGs attack a small American naval squadron in the Gulf of Tonkin, damaging the destroyer USS Higbee and injuring four sailors.

Thursday, April 20th, 1972: National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger arrives in Moscow for a secret visit to the Kremlin, where he is received first by Soviet Foreign Minister Andrei Gromyko and later by Leonid Brezhnev himself.

Richard Nixon.
Friday, April 21st, 1972:
Washington, D.C.
The White House.
8:25 P.M.

RICHARD NIXON: They won’t budge?

HENRY KISSINGER: No, sir. Thieu is ready to walk.

RICHARD NIXON: We've got to quit thinking in terms of a three day strike in a few areas. We've got to be thinking in terms of an all-out bombing attack. A bombing attack which we will continue until they capitulate. Now by all-out bombing attack, I am thinking about things that go far beyond. I'm thinking of the dikes, I'm thinking of the railroads, I'm thinking, of course, the docks.

HENRY KISSINGER: I agree with you-

RICHARD NIXON: Massive force, Henry, we’ve got to display a massive show of force-

HENRY KISSINGER: Indeed-

RICHARD NIXON: So how many did we kill in Laos?

HENRY KISSINGER: I believe ten thousands, maybe fifteen.

RICHARD NIXON: See, the attack in the North that we have in mind, power plants, whatever's left-oil and gas reserves, the docks. And, I still think we ought to take the dikes out now. Will that drown people?

HENRY KISSINGER: About two hundred thousand.

RICHARD NIXON: I’d rather use the nuclear bomb. Can we do that Henry?

HENRY KISSINGER: No, no, no, no, no Mr. President, that would be very unwise-

RICHARD NIXON: Jesus Christ Henry, I just want you to think big. Think big about decisions like this. Drop the big one if you have too!

Saturday, April 22nd, 1972: Apollo 16 lands on the moon; it is the latest manned mission to the lunar surface.

Sunday, April 23rd, 1972: On NBC’s Meet the Press, Senator Muskie states firmly that he will continue forward with his campaign even if he is defeated in Massachusetts. The statement, designed to project confidence, seems to backfire as the latest poll shows Muskie fifteen points behind and only barely leading Governor McKeithen in a race for second. McGovern continues to lead the polls in Massachusetts.

Monday, April 24th, 1972: A massive golden statue of Kim Ill Sung is revealed in Pyongyang, North Korea. It is the latest monument built to the totalitarian “Dear Leader” by the ruling Korean Workers Party, and an ostentatious example of the regime’s growing cult of personality.

Tuesday, April 25th, 1972: The Massachusetts and Pennsylvania primaries are held.

1972 Massachusetts Democratic Primary: 618,479 Votes, 102 Delegates.
George McGovern: 51.21%-316,723 votes, 53 delegates.
Edmund Muskie: 26.50%-163,896 votes, 28 delegates.
John McKeithen: 18.77%-116,088 votes, 21 delegates.
George Wallace: 8.20%-50,715 votes.
Hubert Humphrey: 7.30%-45,148 votes.
Shirley Chisholm: 3.66%-22,636 votes.
Henry Jackson: 2.20%-13,606 votes.
Eugene McCarthy: 0.93%-5,752 votes.

1972 Pennsylvania Democratic Primary: 1,374,263 Votes, 137 Delegates.
Hubert Humphrey: 32.16%-441,962 votes, 58 delegates.
John McKeithen: 22.90%-314,706 votes, 45 delegates.
George McGovern: 15.08%-207,238 votes, 34 delegates.
Edmund Muskie: 14.34%-197,069 votes.
George Wallace: 11.00%-151,168 votes.
Shirley Chisholm: 3.27%-44,938 votes.
Henry Jackson: 1.25%-17,178 votes.

1714512548586.png
Edmund Muskie: 142 delegates.
George McGovern: 132 delegates.
John McKeithen: 132 delegates.
Hubert Humphrey: 75 delegates.
George Wallace: 45 delegates.

Wednesday, April 26th, 1972: Senator Ed Muskie announces he will no longer be actively contesting the Democratic presidential nomination, effectively suspending his campaign after a humiliating showing in Massachusetts and a dismal performance in Pennsylvania.

Thursday, April 27th, 1972: With Muskie out of the race, the Democrats remaining in the running begin to reassess their strategies. McGovern goes to war with McKeithen, joking that the Louisiana Governor is “gumbo Wallace” and arguing that the Governor’s race and labor record disqualified him from being a serious candidate for the Democratic nomination. McKeithen fires back, calling McGovern “a flaming radical” who is “a political troublemaker pretending to be a peace 'making problem solver.” McKeithen’s stronger than expected second place in Pennsylvania bodes well for him in the upcoming Ohio primary.

Friday, April 28th, 1972: Columnist Robert Novak quotes an unnamed Democratic Senator (later revealed to be Thomas Eagleton of Missouri) in his weekly newspaper column, who stated that George McGovern was the “candidate of acid, abortion, and amnesty.” The anonymous assessment becomes a powerful attack-line against the McGovern campaign and will be frequently quoted in the press and on the campaign trail in the coming days.

Saturday, April 29th, 1972: With the Ohio primary nearing, polling shows Governor McKeithen gaining ground against Vice President Humphrey in the state. Humphrey, coasting on his victory in Pennsylvania and strong support in the labor movement, is content to stay in Washington while his supporters did the grunt work. McKeithen on the other hand begins a four-day blitzkrieg across Ohio, campaigning for 12 hours a day and employing old fashioned retail politics. The McKeithen campaign also benefits from an ad blitz on television, with the Governor pouring more resources into Ohio after donors take interest in his suddenly viable candidacy thanks to the influence of Senator Long. Lastly, Wallace did not make the ballot in the Ohio, giving McKeithen an edge and less competition for rural white voters.

Sunday, April 30th, 1972: Ethnic violence between the ruling Tutsi and the rival Hutu tribe breaks out in Burundi after a failed revolt by Hutu elements of the Presidential guard. The regime of President Micombergo orders reprisal slaughters of Hutus in retaliation. In the next month, nearly a 100,000 Hutus will be killed in a wave of intercommunal violence and riots that spread across the country. This genocidal campaign will go virtually unnoticed by the western world.

(R) Richard Nixon: 46%

George McGovern: 27%
John McKeithen: 26%
Hubert Humphrey: 17%
George Wallace: 13%
Shirley Chisholm: 7%
Henry Jackson: 6%
Wilbur Mills: 1%