How would you fix Sliders?

There were alot of problems with this series. If you were given the resources of say, the new version of Battlestar Galatica, how would you fix Sliders?

NomadicSky

Banned
More plausible

Alternate History and maybe change the show so that they land in places other than California

i agree with with archangel and get rid of the Kromagg's plus i would have kept Jerry O'Conner instead of getting rid of him with that stupid mallory character, that killed the show.

Actually put some thought in the alternate worlds they come up with. Often it was a case of 'Hey--spot which old book/movie we're ripping off this week!'.

Oh yeah--other places besides California would have been nice, too.

Doctor What said:
Actually put some thought in the alternate worlds they come up with. Often it was a case of 'Hey--spot which old book/movie we're ripping off this week!'.

Oh yeah--other places besides California would have been nice, too.

The shallowness of the scenarios was irritating. For instance, in the ep where women ruled the world, the sex roles were just reversed (and exaggerating to the point of parody) rather than investigating how different a world run by women would be. If they were trying to draw attention to sexism by reversing the roles, they blew it by exaggerating so much.

NomadicSky

Banned
The best way

Create a new series
Maybe it can be called sliders but
It will have well devolped worlds in the background with plausible timelines
and you will see more than just western California the wormhole drops the cast in various places around the globe
No empire building aliens or any crap like that

The last season was s**t. I would have had them meet themselves a few times. The POV quartet would have meet a quartet with Quin's mother instead of Rembrant; one with Conrad Bennish, Quinn, and Maggie; and one where the genders where reversed, male Wade, female Remmy, Arturo, and Quinn.

The other thing that I would have thrown out was the thirty year wait on the portals. It would be a system inspired by The One.

Grey Wolf

Donor
It can't be too hard to portray other places, Universal Studios etc... I guess they did it because the sliding machine was temporal but not spatial...except of course it must have been spatial as the Earth is never in the same position, because apart from orbiting the sun, the solar system itself moves around...well something

I didn't mind the Kromaggs - it gave the series something to tie each episode to each other, something that US syndicated shows often lack. And it added menace etc

Grey Wolf

Well, I'm more into character driven shows. I like to see characters develope and change by their situations and experiences. Every episode they seemed to have learned a lesson, but next episode it was like it never happened. so first thing would make more character development, possible exhaution of sliding, and just wanting to go home. characters becoming more of a family type group, taking up various roles, and various skills as the episodes progress. Becoming more of a US vs. Them.

Also do away with the Kromagg, the guy who needs spinal fluid?, and keep wade in, the other Quinn out, and more description of the worlds they were on. Not just different versions of the US, but completely different worlds.

The whole San Francisco thing was a bit stretched. I also believe that there should have been a bit of time travel in it also; on one world the date is October 12, 2005, but the next on it is December 5, 1987. Why didn't they ever go to a world where the Nazis won, or one where the Aztecs rulled in San Francisco.

Count Deerborn said:
The whole San Francisco thing was a bit stretched. I also believe that there should have been a bit of time travel in it also; on one world the date is October 12, 2005, but the next on it is December 5, 1987. Why didn't they ever go to a world where the Nazis won, or one where the Aztecs rulled in San Francisco.
Time travel? I don't think it would really matter if they arrived in a different time, especially if they arrive into a completely different world. Things would be so different that the time travel aspect of it would be moot.

Though I would like to see the portal/vortex moveable and not restricted to one city.

Though I think an extra character could be added. I always like the Maggie role, she was tough, independent, but also had a lot of flaws. Added with the Wade character and you got two opposite ends basically. I would also like to see more confrontations between Remmy and Quinn over who's able to lead the group, on embittered on being dragged from his world and another burden by the knowledge that this is all his fault. Arturo would be the same. The slightly condescending older gentlemen who's full of sage advice and the father figure of the group.

Here Are A Few Changes....

Well, here a few quick suggestions that I would throw in to make things interesting:

A) Organizations- Wouldn't it be cool to have the introduction of "Family Trade"-style organizations wherein trade is managed between ATLs. You could also have ATLs with pure tourism similar to Turtledove's "Curious Notions" and police forces similar to De Camps's "Time Patrol" .

B) Characters- Some personal characters sould have been developed in the story. In the pilot episode there was an allusion to a sister in a Ice-Age San Francisco. There is also the idea of Rembrandt remaining in the U.S. Navy. What if a "Philedelphia Emperiment" situation developed?

C) The comics actually had some good stories. There was one wherein the U.S. developed a Christian fundamentalist regime after encountering "Sliding", while another one developed along Satanic lines. I also actually liked the one wherein they actually had one wherein all narcotics were legalized, guest-starring Timothy Leary (Straha...check it out!!)

Count Deerborn said:

I'm pretty sure there was at least the ending of an episode where they got to the new world and found titanium arrowheads... one would assume that if not the aztecs then some advanced native civ ruled San Fran. I don't remember the next episode being there though, so I guess they figured an Aztec world was too much work.
Also I thought they did do a Nazi America episode... but I could be wrong.

I think keeping the original cast would make the show a lot better, more character devel, no Kromaggs, as others have said, but also... remember the world where they left for the sole reason that the gate didn't squeak? They should have done that more often, even having them reach their home world a few times and leaving for various reasons (things had changed slightly and they didn't have time to figure out if it was the same world).

well, I stil say they should have a Maggie like character. she adds sex appeal and fills the role of the tough guy. Quinn was too geeky, Wade was too girly, Remmy too kind, and Arturo was a bit too old for that spot. Though they did have their moments.

Plus I think they should have casted Remmy as a younger man, mainly to be an opposite to Quinn as Maggie is to Wade. Arturo would be the same, the older, educated man, who's more level headed and logical that the others.

As for worlds they arrive at, I think they should be pretty much nothing like the world they came from in the beginning. To show what other worlds could have happened, these alienish like worlds would increase the homesickness and the exhaustion on the unlucky travels to a point where they're desperate to get back to their own world.

I've been thinking a lot on this for some reason...

What about to not have such ridiculous TLs as where 1 little girls states that the pistol she's got belonged to her father who fought with Gen Schwartzkopf at Gettysburg ?

One idea I had was that, instead of going to a new world every episode, why not arrange so that they stay for about 10 episodes or so per season? If you spend a little more time in each world, the production team and writers can flesh them out a bit more, and make things more interesting, and maybe more plausible.

Oh, and they should hire most of us as writers, and get Stirling and Baen Books on the phone to negotiate for the Under the Yoke crossover in Season 4...

One episode that would have been funny is to have the group land in Golden Gate Park, a traffic cop shows up, and starts to write them a ticket. When asked, she points at a sign that says GOLDEN GATE PARK IS A NO SLIDING ZONE. She ends up giving them tickets for "Sliding without a liscence", "Unliscened Sliding device", and "Operating a Sliding Device w/out proof of insurance". In this world, Quinn's father and Max Arturo invented Sliding in the 1970's. They went on to build a large corporation. Later, as they are leaving the part, a limo pulls up, and the driver is perplexed. He was told to pick them up at the Chandler Hotel.