Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

If you do decide to include Canadian schools, I'd put in a good word for Queen's (whose founding predates the POD). This assumes the USA doesn't decide to arbitrarily punish Orange Canada one day, seeing as though Kingston's within artillery range of American soil ;)

Yes. CSA/Texas/not-Oklahoma all out, weighing whether or not to include a handful of Canadian schools from the four Western provinces vs certain unis that IOTL are Division II or lower, and often don’t even sponsor football. This obviously has knock on effects of being a bit of a Big Ten wank as a result, haha

Alright, here's what I got. I am trying to keep a public/private split

CSA
Division 1 Public (including KY schools, excluding TX/OK schools)
EAST
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
South Carolina
UNC - Chapel Hill
UVA
Tennessee
WEST
Kentucky
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
LSU
Arkansas

CSA Division 1 Private/Religious
University of Miami (Assuming Miami as a town grows ITTL as OTL of course)
Georgia Tech
Duke
Clemson
Virigina Tech
Memphis
Louisville
Tulane

Not really sure what to do with Texas and OK - There's a lot of big religious schools in TX that sort of gum up the works (TCU, Baylor, SMU). Texas being Texas they'd probably lump all the schools into Division 1: UT, TX A&M, Baylor, TTU, SMU, TCU, UTSA, UTEP (called UTLP ITTL) and Houston makes 8. If you want to add OU and OK ST that's ten.

USA
Midwest (ie, Big Ten)
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota

Keep the Ivy League as is

USA Big Private Non-Ivies
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Notre Dame
Boston College
Cincinnatti
Pitt
Syracuse
Duquense

Northeast
Penn State
Rutgers
West Virginia
Marshall
Maryland
Delaware
UMass
UConn

USA "Small" Private. Basically the Big East, but they all play rugby as opposed to none of them playing football OTL
Creighton
Marquette
DePaul - my alma mater if you need a dominant program hint hint :)
Butler
Xavier
Georgetown (maybe? Depends on if they rebuild after the GAW. If no Georgetown sub in St. Joes from Philly)
Villanova
Seton Hall
Saint Johns
Providence

Plains States (Big Eight, sorta)
Nebraska Lincoln
Iowa
Iowa State
Mizzou
Kansas
Kansas State
Dakota State (an homage to @DanMcCollum )
UC - Boulder

Pacific Ten (basically the same as the old Pac Ten of OTL
Cal Berkley
Stanford
Arizona (Assuming the USA takes Confederate Arizona post GAW)
Arizona State
USC
UCLA
Washington
Wazzu
Oregon
Oregon State

Alright, here's what I got. I am trying to keep a public/private split

CSA
Division 1 Public (including KY schools, excluding TX/OK schools)
EAST
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
South Carolina
UNC - Chapel Hill
UVA
Tennessee
WEST
Kentucky
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
LSU
Arkansas

CSA Division 1 Private/Religious
University of Miami (Assuming Miami as a town grows ITTL as OTL of course)
Georgia Tech
Duke
Clemson
Virigina Tech
Memphis
Louisville
Tulane

Not really sure what to do with Texas and OK - There's a lot of big religious schools in TX that sort of gum up the works (TCU, Baylor, SMU). Texas being Texas they'd probably lump all the schools into Division 1: UT, TX A&M, Baylor, TTU, SMU, TCU, UTSA, UTEP (called UTLP ITTL) and Houston makes 8. If you want to add OU and OK ST that's ten.

USA
Midwest (ie, Big Ten)
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota

Northwestern
University of Chicago
Notre Dame
Boston College
Cincinnatti
Pitt
Syracuse
Duquense

Northeast
Penn State
Rutgers
West Virginia
Marshall
Maryland
Delaware
UMass
UConn

USA "Small" Private. Basically the Big East, but they all play rugby as opposed to none of them playing football OTL
Creighton
Marquette
Butler
Xavier
Georgetown (maybe? Depends on if they rebuild after the GAW. If no Georgetown sub in St. Joes from Philly)
Villanova
Seton Hall
Saint Johns
Providence

Nebraska Lincoln
Iowa
Iowa State
Mizzou
Kansas
Kansas State
UC - Boulder

Pacific Ten (basically the same as the old Pac Ten of OTL
Cal Berkley
Stanford
Arizona (Assuming the USA takes Confederate Arizona post GAW)
Arizona State
USC
UCLA
Washington
Wazzu
Oregon
Oregon State
This is similar to what I threw together in my notes - great minds think alike!

I do like the idea of eight team conferences, I had stuck with ten in my jottings, but shifting to eight actually eliminates a lot of what I didn't like about my list. What do you think of this small revision of your idea?

-----

Midwest (ie, Big Ten)
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota

Northwestern
University of Chicago
Notre Dame
Boston College
Cincinnatti
Pitt
Syracuse
Vanderbilt (the Staten Island version, subbed in for Duquesne)

Northeast

Penn State
Temple
Rutgers
West Virginia
Marshall
Maryland
Buffalo (private or public, started as the former and became the latter)
UMass or UConn

Creighton
Marquette
Butler
Xavier
Villanova
Seton Hall
Saint Johns
Providence

I like the idea of the small privates being their own league, just need to drop two (likely Georgetown and then Butler since its not Catholic) and then you're set to go.

Nebraska Lincoln
Iowa
Iowa State
Mizzou
Kansas
Kansas State
Washington University in St. Louis (or Wichita State, either/or)

Mountain States

Colorado
Colorado State
Arizona
Arizona State
New Mexico
Utah
BYU
Idaho
(You can also sub in one, but not both, of the Nevada schools here and send Colorado back to the Plains)

Pacific Eight (basically the same as the old Pac Ten of OTL

Cal Berkley
Stanford
USC
UCLA
Washington
Wazzu
Oregon
Oregon State
-------

Doing it this way also gets me to my original goal of eight conferences, without doing silly things like including an alt-MAC and basically a conference just of lesser UC and Cal State schools exclusively in California. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Eight team conferences works. You have seven conference games or even 14 (how long is a rugby season compared to football? Can you do home and away each year?) and then a smattering of marquee out of conference games too.

Just realized I had more thoughts in the drafts section that didn't get posted. I blame my phone.

Anyway, yes, those are good conferences! You should run with those. I somehow remembered that Vandy wasn't in TN but I forgot that it was in Staten Island. A few minor tweaks/thoughts.

Wichita State should be in the Alt-Big Eight - it matches the state school feel of the rest of the membership.
Ditch Butler and Georgetown from the Alt-Big East. Keep the other 8 - as you mentioned all are urban and especially Catholic so it fits. RIP to Georgetown University's prestige - so it goes when your city and especially neighborhood are razed to the ground twice in a few years.
UConn over UMass in the Northeast but either works.

So basically yes, looks like you are pretty much set!

Eight team conferences works. You have seven conference games or even 14 (how long is a rugby season compared to football? Can you do home and away each year?) and then a smattering of marquee out of conference games too.
That’s something I go back and forth on. The plan for the pro league’s pyramid is three tiers or 16 with a 30 game season of home and homes with a pro-rel system but is closed to those three tiers.

So I’m unsure how I want to structure the uni version. There’s something to be said for keeping the more “European” vibe of a 14 game conference home-home season with two non-con games and then a playoff. But I also like the more chaotic, similar to OTL vibe of a seven conference game schedule with three non-cons. So idk… haha

Just realized I had more thoughts in the drafts section that didn't get posted. I blame my phone.

Anyway, yes, those are good conferences! You should run with those. I somehow remembered that Vandy wasn't in TN but I forgot that it was in Staten Island. A few minor tweaks/thoughts.

Wichita State should be in the Alt-Big Eight - it matches the state school feel of the rest of the membership.
Ditch Butler and Georgetown from the Alt-Big East. Keep the other 8 - as you mentioned all are urban and especially Catholic so it fits. RIP to Georgetown University's prestige - so it goes when your city and especially neighborhood are razed to the ground twice in a few years.
UConn over UMass in the Northeast but either works.

So basically yes, looks like you are pretty much set!
Good call on Wichita I think

Yeah having a Vanderbilt-sized/prestiged school in SI would be a very different vibe for that area, especially since it’s excluded from NYC ITTL

Thanks!
I said "Possible Easter Eggs". :) Nothing that the OP has said has indicated that Brazil is balkanized by Y2K. OTOH, I don't think he has said anything to indicate that they aren't. :)
Making it harder for me to post some of these World Cup results 😉 I only have one tournament where I’m going back and forth on if the host should be Korea or China…

That’s something I go back and forth on. The plan for the pro league’s pyramid is three tiers or 16 with a 30 game season of home and homes with a pro-rel system but is closed to those three tiers.

So I’m unsure how I want to structure the uni version. There’s something to be said for keeping the more “European” vibe of a 14 game conference home-home season with two non-con games and then a playoff. But I also like the more chaotic, similar to OTL vibe of a seven conference game schedule with three non-cons. So idk… haha

Good call on Wichita I think

Yeah having a Vanderbilt-sized/prestiged school in SI would be a very different vibe for that area, especially since it’s excluded from NYC ITTL

Thanks!

Making it harder for me to post some of these World Cup results 😉 I only have one tournament where I’m going back and forth on if the host should be Korea or China…
Ah. You just gave away that Korea is one country iTTL! (On the other hand, I can't see Korea hosting a games if it is still significantly under the Japanese thumb.)

Ah. You just gave away that Korea is one country iTTL! (On the other hand, I can't see Korea hosting a games if it is still significantly under the Japanese thumb.)
A four-way bid of the three Koreas and the city-state of Vladivostok doesn’t do it for you?!

Inspector Clouseau
Inspector Jacques Clouseau is a fictional French criminal investigator. First appearing in the BBC telefilm Panthers, Clouseau is the central character of a further eleven telefilms and miniseries since the 1960s, and has been described as an iconic figure of late 20th century British dramatic detective fiction. A senior investigator with the Brigade Criminelle of the French National Police, Clouseau is characterized as a womanizing, cynical and egocentric detective assigned to sensitive cases and has a reputation as the best criminologist in France, despite his numerous flaws. Over the course of six Clouseau telefilms between 1964 and 1978, he was portrayed by Peter Sellers; he was later portrayed in the late 1990s and early 2000s by David Suchet in four appearances, and in 2019 in an eight-episode miniseries starring Paddy Considine.

Filmed and written by Britons, the Clouseau series nonetheless pays special attention to its particular setting and is often viewed as a commentary by Britain on France itself, one of a piece of other programs and films common in Britain that were set in various continental locales and viewed through the eyes of locals rather than more adventurous "travelogue" style escapist entertainment. The original six Clouseau films, starring Sellers, were set in the French State (1938-93), at the time a military dictatorship led by General Raoul Salan fighting an insurgency to preserve its hold on Algeria, and his jaded acceptance of the conservatism of French society, the corruption of the French political and judicial system, and paranoia around Algerian terrorism or state violence is in many ways a microcosm of the discomfort of many British artists with the generally politically reactionary culture of 1960s and early 1970s Europe, including their home country. The Suchet run of Clouseau entries is an updated reworking of the series, setting it instead against the backdrop of France's recent democratic transition and struggle to put its chaotic 20th century behind it, while the miniseries Clouseau is set in present day's polarized, unstable social climate in France. Arbitrary behavior by Clouseau's superiors, including falsification of evidence, bribery, torture and even extrajudicial killings is a common theme, and Clouseau has an antagonistic relationship with his superior Chief Inspector Charles Dreyfus as a result; the series has often been described in many cases as a neo-noir due to its often gritty focus, particularly the 1990s reboot.

The series has received considerable praise throughout the Anglosphere but is met with mixed reviews in France, where a number of domestic films since democratization have dealt with similar themes from directors and writers with first-hand experience living under the tyranny of the French State. French actor-director Marion Cotillard in particular famously dismissed the 2019 reboot as "a collection of crude British stereotypes about the French," and further noting, "We are capable to tell our own stories about our experiences rather than watching some Englishman's violent fantasies about the Surete shooting Algerian children for sport."

Inspector Jacques Clouseau is a fictional French criminal investigator. First appearing in the BBC telefilm Panthers, Clouseau is the central character of a further eleven telefilms and miniseries since the 1960s, and has been described as an iconic figure of late 20th century British dramatic detective fiction. A senior investigator with the Brigade Criminelle of the French National Police, Clouseau is characterized as a womanizing, cynical and egocentric detective assigned to sensitive cases and has a reputation as the best criminologist in France, despite his numerous flaws. Over the course of six Clouseau telefilms between 1964 and 1978, he was portrayed by Peter Sellers; he was later portrayed in the late 1990s and early 2000s by David Suchet in four appearances, and in 2019 in an eight-episode miniseries starring Paddy Considine.

Filmed and written by Britons, the Clouseau series nonetheless pays special attention to its particular setting and is often viewed as a commentary by Britain on France itself, one of a piece of other programs and films common in Britain that were set in various continental locales and viewed through the eyes of locals rather than more adventurous "travelogue" style escapist entertainment. The original six Clouseau films, starring Sellers, were set in the French State (1938-93), at the time a military dictatorship led by General Raoul Salan fighting an insurgency to preserve its hold on Algeria, and his jaded acceptance of the conservatism of French society, the corruption of the French political and judicial system, and paranoia around Algerian terrorism or state violence is in many ways a microcosm of the discomfort of many British artists with the generally politically reactionary culture of 1960s and early 1970s Europe, including their home country. The Suchet run of Clouseau entries is an updated reworking of the series, setting it instead against the backdrop of France's recent democratic transition and struggle to put its chaotic 20th century behind it, while the miniseries Clouseau is set in present day's polarized, unstable social climate in France. Arbitrary behavior by Clouseau's superiors, including falsification of evidence, bribery, torture and even extrajudicial killings is a common theme, and Clouseau has an antagonistic relationship with his superior Chief Inspector Charles Dreyfus as a result; the series has often been described in many cases as a neo-noir due to its often gritty focus, particularly the 1990s reboot.

The series has received considerable praise throughout the Anglosphere but is met with mixed reviews in France, where a number of domestic films since democratization have dealt with similar themes from directors and writers with first-hand experience living under the tyranny of the French State. French actor-director Marion Cotillard in particular famously dismissed the 2019 reboot as "a collection of crude British stereotypes about the French," and further noting, "We are capable to tell our own stories about our experiences rather than watching some Englishman's violent fantasies about the Surete shooting Algerian children for sport."
Welp, that gives a *lot* of future French History. But in terms of our favorite villain and his country, what does TTLs version of Hercule Poirot look like? The equivalent of Zorro? The equivalent of V for Vendetta???

Welp, that gives a *lot* of future French History. But in terms of our favorite villain and his country, what does TTLs version of Hercule Poirot look like? The equivalent of Zorro? The equivalent of V for Vendetta???
Dogged, mustachioed leader of a Belgian secret police squad fighting leftists and Flemish nationalists probs

(/s) but now I’m curious what a gritty Poirot reboot would look like haha