Is a Zoroastrian Reconquista possible?

IIRC after the Muslim conquest of Persia, there were some Zoroastrian remains in the north that held out until the 9th century or so. Now, is it possible for this Zoroastrian kingdoms to not only survive but invade southwards Asturias-style?
I'm thinking primarily about the Anarchy of Samarra, which I think the Caliphate was at its weakest point; is in that precise moment possible? When did the northern kingdoms loose the opportunity to take back Persia?

Sounds like a very interesting idea, but I doubt they'd be able to pull it off. Persia is closer to the Arabian heartland than Iberia, meaning Muslim reinforcements would arrive very quickly to give any insurrection a quick death. Furthermore, unlike the Spaniards, the Zorastrians lack the support of a continental religious authority, like the Papacy, meaning other nations would see no interest in supporting them.

Last edited:
Conversion to Islam was very rapid for many Iranians. Zoroastrianism, in its various forms, didn't seem capable of producing the kind of zeal the followers of Islam had. Astrology was very influential on Zoroastrians at the time, leading many to believe that the Islamic conquest was preordained in the stars and that resistance was pointless.

Are the Zoroastrians going to be willing to impose a strong repressive system against Muslims, and be able to enforce it on the more scattered and mobile population of the Persian platue? If not, than while they might be able to to regain national political power they'll have to take the classical stance of "occupying themselves" while being in oneof the more geographically vulnerable to invasion regions of the world. That dosen't translate to good long-term prospects

Sounds like a very interesting, but I doubt they'd be able to pull it off. Persia is closer to the Arabiab heartland than Iberia, meaning Muslim reinforcements would arrive very quickly to give any insurrection a quick death. Furthermore, unlike the Spaniards, the Zorastrians lack the support of a continental religious authority, like the Papacy, meaning other nations would see no interest in supporting them.
Could Zorastrians get support from Hindustan?

I think if an Islamic conquest of Persia was blunted in the beginning phases, the odds of a Sassanid rump state further to the east could be a possibility, especially if they were able to retain their friendly relations with the Tang dynasty. For starters, the Sassanids and Byzantines would need to not get completely mopped from the get go by the Islamic armies.

I once wondered about a Zoroastrian resurgent during the 8th century, although it did generate much replies. Basically the POD would be a failed Abbasid Revolution that leaves the Umayyad Caliphate sufficiently weakened so the Dabuyid dynasty in Hycarnia/Tabarestan can rally enough support on Iran to reconquer much of the Eastern Caliphate.

IIRC after the Muslim conquest of Persia, there were some Zoroastrian remains in the north that held out until the 9th century or so. Now, is it possible for this Zoroastrian kingdoms to not only survive but invade southwards Asturias-style?
I'm thinking primarily about the Anarchy of Samarra, which I think the Caliphate was at its weakest point; is in that precise moment possible? When did the northern kingdoms loose the opportunity to take back Persia?
You'd probably need Islam to falter in Central Asia. Having non-Muslim, potentially even Zoroastrian, allies and mercenaries could make this substantially easier (and could also potentially secure Persia's vulnerable northeastern flank against Islamic reaction.

Is there any way to get, say, the Gokturks to end up as Zoroastrian or some sort of Zoroastrian/Tengriist syncretism? If so, they might provide needed support to the Zoroastrian Persians.

Is there any way to get, say, the Gokturks to end up as Zoroastrian or some sort of Zoroastrian/Tengriist syncretism? If so, they might provide needed support to the Zoroastrian Persians.

The Gokturks need not be Zoroastrian to allow Zoroastrianism to regain authority. It simply requires a new Persian imperial claimant. The issue with the Gokturks, generally these hordes of the steppe were defeated quite decisively at the early stages of Islam, aside from the Khazar. This status of domination is exhibited but the fact that many of these steppe warriors became slaves of the Abbasid. Or, that the region previously Horde lands under the Hepthalites was the domain of Arabo-Persian states until the Qhara-Qhanids.

elkarlo

Banned
Sounds like a very interesting, but I doubt they'd be able to pull it off. Persia is closer to the Arabiab heartland than Iberia, meaning Muslim reinforcements would arrive very quickly to give any insurrection a quick death. Furthermore, unlike the Spaniards, the Zorastrians lack the support of a continental religious authority, like the Papacy, meaning other nations would see no interest in supporting them.
Yeah they didn't have a source of troops from unconquered areas to slowly grind down the Arabs and push them out.

Albert.Nik

Banned
The problem goes like this. Zoroastrianism is an ethnic religion. The reconquista was done by different ethnicities than that was conquered. Well,at least partially. You need Zoroastrianism to be bigger and more diverse for something like this to have a possibility. The Franks and the other Germanic peoples have actually taken over the Roman empire what it was and made it better through different eras.

The get this,you need Scythians,Kushans,Indo-Aryans or Sogdians convert to Zoroastrianism in large numbers by being allowed first in a fairly early POD.