Longer Dutch Golden Age as a Republic

Thanks for the feedback, Advernt

Would a Flanders/Belgium that can be held by the United Provinces play a long way to helping set up a longer Dutch Golden Age too? An 80 Years war where the Dutch performs even better, taking Antwerpt and Brussels, and holding on to it.....

I'd like to see The United Provinces to include at least Antwerp and Southern Brabant, possibly more of modern-day Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, or France but it depends when and how this happens. I was sort of leaning towards a later POD after the 80 years war, but that is definitely an option. What if the United Provinces and France make an agreement to split up the Spanish Netherlands during the War of Devolution or leading up to the Franco-Dutch War. Is there any chance that Louis XIV would give up all of modern day Flanders if he still got "French Flanders' and Wallonia? (I use modern geographic terms because the various counties and duchies are a bit more complicated and involve listing a dozen or 2 obscure city/regions)

But ultimately, the problem has to be France.... hmm, could the French Civil Wars drag on even longer? I personally think so - if Henry IV decided that Paris was not worth a mass, could we see an even longer French Wars of Religion?

There's another crazier option , but the Dutch in the Golden Age would be compromised: A surviving Burgundy - holding everything from the Netherlands/Northern Germany all the way down to the Swiss Confederacy and Savoy....

That's a large enough population base to begin with.

I like these ideas but they're much earlier than the time period I'd like to work with and I think enough butterflies would result that the Netherlands would be a very different place.

Some other ideas I have been thinking about that i'd be curious to hear thoughts on:

-Leading up to the 1st Anglo-Dutch War, Oliver Cromwell suggested the Netherlands join the Commonwealth. Then suggested that the English and Dutch split the world up into 2 spheres, English get the New World and the Dutch get the old. What if the Dutch had agreed to this 2nd proposition? Would it be null and void after the Restoration? Would the Restoration still definitely happen? Is there any chance the deal would last, giving the Dutch and English each profitable empires that weren't in competition? Any way to include France in on the deal later, as the proposition was mostly to compete against the Spanish and Portuguese Empires?

-I've noticed peoples responses to the idea of William II dying earlier still assume that all the wars and major events of the next period still happen. If instead of the "stadholderless period" the Netherlands had a stadholder who had limited power in the form of William Frederick would the attitudes towards English and/or French proposed deals change? What if they had a stadholderless period but there was also no looming threat of the infant William III of Orange? Would Orangism still exist in any form? Would the Republicans show any interest in expansion or be any more or less interested in appeasing England & France?

-I bring up this next point because someone suggested the War of Spanish Succession wouldn't happen without William III of Orange. Without King Billy would the War of Spanish Succession still happen? IMO, so much could change in the 2nd half of the 17th century that anything is possible, but the fact remains that there would be the question of who Spain's king would be. Or is it assumed there would be a united Bourbon Kingdom?

I am new to Alternative History, but it seems to me that there are so many possibilities within a few years of a minor change that it is really open what could happen 50 years down the road, or even 20. I would still love to hear more feedback though as I want to be sure that especially the early years of my TL make historic sense.

-Leading up to the 1st Anglo-Dutch War, Oliver Cromwell suggested the Netherlands join the Commonwealth. Then suggested that the English and Dutch split the world up into 2 spheres, English get the New World and the Dutch get the old. What if the Dutch had agreed to this 2nd proposition? Would it be null and void after the Restoration? Would the Restoration still definitely happen? Is there any chance the deal would last, giving the Dutch and English each profitable empires that weren't in competition? Any way to include France in on the deal later, as the proposition was mostly to compete against the Spanish and Portuguese Empires?

The Dutch where never serious about a Commonwealth of Protestant States. At a point they agreed on the idea, but never contemplated as seriuos. To the utter suprise a large diplomatic delagation arrived in1650 in The Hague from England to discuss this matter in seriuosness.
The whole situation was verry embarrassing since, the Dutch were never serious to commit them selve to an other nation; the English Putitains where way to orthodox for the Dutch; the English delegates represent the murder of the father of Mary Stuart who lived with her son in The Hague.
This English visit and the Dutch reaction was one of the reasons of the 1st Anglo-Dutch war.

Amsterdam and the regents were agains a centralized army and navy, since this gave the Stad holders more power, since they were in command of the army and navy

An other option is :
1638 Siege of Antwerp is succesfull, making Dutch Flanders slightly Larger, Antwerp, Bruge, Oostend, giving enough presure to make Dutch Flanders and Brabant Provinces instead og Generality lands.
William II live a few years longer, giving him his own prestige Battles against Munster, connecting his personel belonging Lingen with the Republic at the expense of Munster, making Ost Frisia and Bentheim members of the Union. Let the State General make a deal with Brandenburg, in exchange for a large sum of monney the Dutch aquires Cleve, Brandenburg, who owned it, was poverised and ravaged in the 30 years war.
He dies finaly some were in the 1660ties (due to complications of his smallpox or just by a bullet on the battle field) giving room to the Republicans. And William III dies due to humonia as a boy (which he really suffered from.)

Last edited:
The Dutch where never serious about a Commonwealth of Protestant States. At a point they agreed on the idea, but never contemplated as seriuos. To the utter suprise a large diplomatic delagation arrived in1650 in The Hague from England to discuss this matter in seriuosness.
The whole situation was verry embarrassing since, the Dutch were never serious to commit them selve to an other nation; the English Putitains where way to orthodox for the Dutch; the English delegates represent the murder of the father of Mary Stuart who lived with her son in The Hague.
This English visit and the Dutch reaction was one of the reasons of the 1st Anglo-Dutch war.

Yes, I understand this generally. A very awkward few months from the sound of it. However, I saw something about an English suggestion that short of uniting their nations into a Commonwealth, they still wanted to divide the world into 2 spheres of influence (the Protestant Treaty of Tordesillas if you will). Any chance the Dutch would have taken them up on that?

Doesn't really matter, since I like what you said next so much...

Amsterdam and the regents were agains a centralized army and navy, since this gave the Stad holders more power, since they were in command of the army and navy

An other option is :
1638 Siege of Antwerp is succesfull, making Dutch Flanders slightly Larger, Antwerp, Bruge, Oostend, giving enough presure to make Dutch Flanders and Brabant Provinces instead og Generality lands.
William II live a few years longer, giving him his own prestige Battles against Munster, connecting his personel belonging Lingen with the Republic at the expense of Munster, making Ost Frisia and Bentheim members of the Union. Let the State General make a deal with Brandenburg, in exchange for a large sum of monney the Dutch aquires Cleve, Brandenburg, who owned it, was poverised and ravaged in the 30 years war.
He dies finaly some were in the 1660ties (due to complications of his smallpox or just by a bullet on the battle field) giving room to the Republicans. And William III dies due to humonia as a boy (which he really suffered from.)

I am a bit confused about exactly what they would be gaining from Munster. East Frisia and Bentheim, but exactly what did William II have a right to through his personal union? Just the city of Lingen, or a greater area around it?

This might just work for me. It gives the Provinces more land (and people) which seems to help them succeed, even if they might lose some later.

What do you think would happen after William III dies as a boy though? A period without a stadholder or would William Frederick take the reigns?

I would like to see a strong Republican faction, but it seems the best way to do that would to ease tensions between them and the Orange faction. After major victories against England and Munster and the tragic death of William II and his young son, the regents would probably take part in glorifying his memory. But would they appoint another stadholder?

Lingen was conquered by Prince Maurits, and was agreed that he could keep it as a personel belonging. It was a county surrounded by the Bishopric of Munster, and Paderborn.
Itwould be nice for the Oranges to link it with the republic or that the State General of the republic find it more comfortable to have a larger buffer state at the East.
See maps of the parts they could claim after a conflict ending in the favour of the Dutch. This could be several conflicts; 1657, 1663, 1665
Bentheim was an independent county, but with a Calvinist population.

You do not have to butterfly away William II or III, they still were dependent on money from the Patricians/ State General. Even the patricians were on the hand of the Oranges they still were oposed to the idea of Monarchy.
You can see this clear with William III, even he was in charge, the Republic was still run by the patricians.
Remember Stadholders were elected by the states/provinces. The Provinces Frisia and Groningen chose an other faction of the Orange Nassau branch as stadholder and never knew a period without stadholder.
Stad holders were only in charge of the army/navy to organize defense.

Map Munster ..2.PNG

Last edited: