Map Challenge

Water color

Don't forget the Massive Earthquake that caused the flooding of east Russia north from the Black & Caspian seas. :eek:

On my map the teritory north of the black sea is the same color as the Med & the Atlantic, sure looks like a extention of the Black sea. And yes LOL :D

DuQuense said:
On my map the teritory north of the black sea is the same color as the Med & the Atlantic, sure looks like a extention of the Black sea. And yes LOL :D
Must be something wrong with your monitor, cuz that territory is purple, while the seas are blue (and light blue, at that). In fact, the purple is the same shade I always use for russia (I don't know why I use purple, but I do) on my maps.

Diamond

Banned
DominusNovus said:
In fact, the purple is the same shade I always use for russia (I don't know why I use purple, but I do) on my maps.

**breathes sigh of relief**

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does freaky things like consistently using the same color for certain regions... red/russia, blue/britain, orange/spain... :D

Diamond said:
**breathes sigh of relief**

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does freaky things like consistently using the same color for certain regions... red/russia, blue/britain, orange/spain... :D
lol, The US is always blue in my book. The Brits are a dark red.

Anthony Appleyard said:
Islam would encourage spread of plagues because the hajjis would spread it each year.
Good point. And there's Muslims everywhere, practically, so the plagues would be spread far and wide.

DominusNovus said:
So, anyone wanna venture a guess as to whats different about the mongols in TTL?

Completely flummuxed here--I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say that there's something different about their horses and/or horseriding.

Dr. What sits back and waits for DN to utterly and mercilessly destroy his pathetic explanation....

Doctor What said:
Completely flummuxed here--I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say that there's something different about their horses and/or horseriding.

Dr. What sits back and waits for DN to utterly and mercilessly destroy his pathetic explanation....
FOOL! :mad:
Nah. Simply, they didn't unify Mongolia. The more powerful tribes forced out the weaker tribes, which did the usual steppe nomad thing: head west and crush those who oppose you. They did this more gradually than in OTL, making more use of conquered peoples than the Mongols did in OTL. This would provide them with excellent infantry and artillery (these Mongols were still very disciplined, and trained their auxilleries well), which allowed them to be more of a threat in Europe. Meanwhile, the more powerful tribes went after China.

Anyway, w/o a unified Mongolia, eventually, a few centuries later, another group of steppe nomads would arise and become the ones who unified and conquered everyone, as OTL's mongols did.

DominusNovus said:
FOOL! :mad:
Nah. Simply, they didn't unify Mongolia. The more powerful tribes forced out the weaker tribes, which did the usual steppe nomad thing: head west and crush those who oppose you. They did this more gradually than in OTL, making more use of conquered peoples than the Mongols did in OTL. This would provide them with excellent infantry and artillery (these Mongols were still very disciplined, and trained their auxilleries well), which allowed them to be more of a threat in Europe. Meanwhile, the more powerful tribes went after China.

Anyway, w/o a unified Mongolia, eventually, a few centuries later, another group of steppe nomads would arise and become the ones who unified and conquered everyone, as OTL's mongols did.
What, no thoughts on this? :(

I'm also thinking of throwing in a climactic catastrophy, ala Year(s) w/o a Summer.

DominusNovus said:
What, no thoughts on this? :(

Sorry for the delay--still processing this.

So--is there a major difference between the 'new' Mongols who comes into the picture and OTL Mongols or are we just talking about different dates/battles than OTL? And if a different group came into the picture and did the whole unifying and/or conquering thing, how far did they eventually get? Or did they just stick with Asia this time and left europe alone?

btw--what's the tech level of this world anyway? With the backstory you've given so far I seriously doubt that it's beyond 1700's technology.

DominusNovus said:
I'm also thinking of throwing in a climactic catastrophy, ala Year(s) w/o a Summer.

Man--and people on this board think I'm nuts....

Ever play the game Black/White (where you act as a diety to a group of people)? I have a sneaking suspicion that you just love all the Wrath spells... :p

Bright day
It is before POD but knyaz Vladimir of Kiev sent people to to observe Western and Eastern orthodoxy and Islam, people reported that Byzantines have bigger temples so he choose Eastern Orthodox. Maybe here Islam had bigger temple?
On other note some border do not really make much sense geographically.
Then largest drainage of money in middle ages was trade with Orient via Arabs. With more than possible trading partners not so much gold would go down the drain plus no Mongol Empire would destroy most incensities to explore. But Europe would not be beggar.
The middle-asia people were Turks?
Technology is not anywhere near level of OTL, right?