Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
df1z6u9-f28d2679-5746-4585-85f3-92e0b7112e50.png

Special thanks to Entrerriano , TerranTechnocrat on DA, and Oliveia for helping me out with this!​
Damn, I don't even get a plug?
You are going to the Westralian dead zone.

Aegis_of_Consumption.png

With the help of @XFE, I was able to get this done in an orderly fashion. Based on the ideas of Palladium and other Western analysts, I thought about the idea of the PRC overtaking Western institutions that so shaped the modern world. Instead of the US being the prime superpower, it's instead the PRC who controls the IMF, World Bank, and various UN peacekeeping operations. Yet China's title as sole superpower is threatened by the rising Democratic Republic of Congo, and the European Union. In addition, there are the various "ultras" running amok, as well as the Sahelian Brotherhood, an eco-jihadist organization keen on making the Chinese pay.​
Quick question: Is there a translated version?

if British Isles didn't exist
I feel some of the earlier stages of this Britainless colonization might have influenced the later ones away from what is seen here. But I generally like the reasoning at a smaller scale
1 week before the start of Soviet Civil War.
What goes up must come down. And the Soviets have gone quite far up.
The Confederation of the Nephites, in the year 2152 AD.
Is that... Finland?

The world will see the greatest geopolitical disaster in the entire history
Considering what sort of WW2 must have preceded this that's saying something really horrible. But at least nothing in all the centuries to come will rival this cataclysm. (Unless you meant "entire history so far")

INDIA'S VIETNAM: THE NEPAL WAR OF 1975 - 1984
"Welcome to the Mountains, Mother******!"

XT0TidY.png

Though Nepal and India had cordial relations with one another since Indian independence in 1947-48, said cordial relations began to disintegrate after 1962 when Nepal allowed India to pass through Kalapani in the Sino-Indian War, but India never left. Though the issue was left alone except for the annual formal protest, this led to suspicions in Kathmandu and in Beijing regarding India's intentions for Nepal. Nehru was well known for his advocacy for annexing Nepal during the 1948-49 Princely States Cleanup, and King Mahendra of Nepal used the suspicions to bring in major changes for Nepal - in diplomacy, foreign relations, the military, economy, and society. The Terai of Nepal, which was virtually owned by Indian Oligarchs across the border were all nationalized, and the military expanded from a glorified palace guard of 7,000 men to over 40,000 men by 1970. Economically, the nation pushed through new hard reforms that upped the GDP per capita of the nation by over 148%. Chinese and British weaponry (and trainers) were imported to bring the army up to speed with modern warfare. In 1971, after the Bangladesh Liberation War, Nepal went into high alert as the Nepali National Intelligence Department (NID) found claims of Indian encroachment in Nepali border territories. Said high alert lent itself to nothing as tensions were soon defused with the (ironic) intervention of Pakistan in the diplomatic arena. But the 1971 Standoff of Nepal and India led to King Mahendra becoming extremely suspicious of Indira Gandhi and her intentions in Nepal and left volumes of directions in case of war with India for his son and successor King Birendra before dying in 1972. King Birendra hoped that said instructions would never be used. [1]

But events forced his hands. In 1975, after years of subterfuge and internal clashes, Sikkim's existence as an independent nation came to an end, and joined India. Soon after, Indira Gandhi turned her eyes to Nepal, intent on taking the Terai Region of Nepal. Despite the pleas of Kasu Brahmananda Reddy and Yaswantrao Chavan [2], the Indian Prime Minister began to move Indian Army units onto the Nepali border, and starting to fund border rebellions among the indian resident population living on the Nepali side of the border. This spark allowed the Indian army to enter Nepal as Casus Belli beginning the Nepal War. The flatlands of the Terai were rolled up quickly by the Indian Army, however, as soon as they touched the hills, the war became attritional. Mobilization of the Royal Nepali Army and the reserves as well as new volunteers saw over 500,000 men in the Royal Nepalese Army fighting for the nation, and behind Indian lines, Guerillas cropped up fighting against their occupation. The PRC, threatened by the Indian Invasion of Nepal, allowed Nepali Partisans to use century-old yak and caravan trails in Tibet to supply said guerillas, forming the King Mahendra Trail Paths. Internationally even the USSR, which was aligned with India, frowned on this invasion (for the USSR also had excellent relations with Nepal during the time of invasion [3]). But the most outraged of countries was Britain, who was host to the largest Nepali diaspora community outside of South Asia. On the instigation of Britain, the International Volunteer Brigades of Nepal was established, formed up by Nepali Diaspora members and pro-Nepali westerner volunteers fighting for Nepal. In India itself, the Nepali Diaspora reacted violently to the invasion of their 'motherland'. Indian Gurkhas refused to fight and mutinied, whilst Assamese Nepalese openly supported the Assamese separatist groups. Sikkimese Nepalese launched a passive resistance campaign as well, unwilling to recognize Sikkim's annexation.

By the 1980s, it had become clear that the war had devolved into stalemate. Whilst the Indian Army had the numbers, the Nepalese had the home terrain advantage, guerilla tactics and foreign support. The losses in Nepal was becoming intolerable, and the Indian Congress's grip on power in the Indian political arena was slowly crashing down as more and more body bags came home from Nepal. In 1983, Indira Gandhi was assassinated by a Khalistani Nationalist crying 'Freedom for Khalistan & Nepal!' before the assailant killed himself after the deed. Gandhi's successor, Shankkarao Chavan opened a dialogue in 1984 through Bangladesh, culminating in the 1984 Delhi Peace Accords wherein India pledged to withdraw its army by the end of August, 1984 and play $10.6 Billion to Nepal as reconstruction payment. The Nepal War proved costly in human lives - with ~92,000 Indians killed & captured in Nepal, and a further ~400,000 wounded in the war. Nepal suffered even more - with around ~300,000 to ~450,000 military deaths and captured (total deaths with civilian populace is estimated to be ~1.1 million).

As India withdrew from Nepal in August 1984, Nepal settled down to rebuild, whilst India stared at a political and economic crisis coming in the future.......

[1] - All things in this paragraph are true.
[2] - The Point of Divergence so to speak.
[3] - True Historically.
[*] - sources are: India Nepal Relations: Historical, Cultural and Political Perspectives by Sanasam Sandhyarni Devi, India and Nepal: A Changing Relationship by S. D. Muni, India China Nepal: Decoding Trilaterism by Pramod Jaiswal, India-Nepal Relations: 1960-91 by Sutapa Sarkar, Politics of Geo-politics: Continuity and Change in India-Nepal Relations by Lok Raj Baral. Intended to make this scenario as realistic as possible.

Thoughts and Comments?

INDIA'S VIETNAM: THE NEPAL WAR OF 1975 - 1984
"Welcome to the Mountains, Mother******!"

XT0TidY.png

Though Nepal and India had cordial relations with one another since Indian independence in 1947-48, said cordial relations began to disintegrate after 1962 when Nepal allowed India to pass through Kalapani in the Sino-Indian War, but India never left. Though the issue was left alone except for the annual formal protest, this led to suspicions in Kathmandu and in Beijing regarding India's intentions for Nepal. Nehru was well known for his advocacy for annexing Nepal during the 1948-49 Princely States Cleanup, and King Mahendra of Nepal used the suspicions to bring in major changes for Nepal - in diplomacy, foreign relations, the military, economy, and society. The Terai of Nepal, which was virtually owned by Indian Oligarchs across the border were all nationalized, and the military expanded from a glorified palace guard of 7,000 men to over 40,000 men by 1970. Economically, the nation pushed through new hard reforms that upped the GDP per capita of the nation by over 148%. Chinese and British weaponry (and trainers) were imported to bring the army up to speed with modern warfare. In 1971, after the Bangladesh Liberation War, Nepal went into high alert as the Nepali National Intelligence Department (NID) found claims of Indian encroachment in Nepali border territories. Said high alert lent itself to nothing as tensions were soon defused with the (ironic) intervention of Pakistan in the diplomatic arena. But the 1971 Standoff of Nepal and India led to King Mahendra becoming extremely suspicious of Indira Gandhi and her intentions in Nepal and left volumes of directions in case of war with India for his son and successor King Birendra before dying in 1972. King Birendra hoped that said instructions would never be used. [1]

But events forced his hands. In 1975, after years of subterfuge and internal clashes, Sikkim's existence as an independent nation came to an end, and joined India. Soon after, Indira Gandhi turned her eyes to Nepal, intent on taking the Terai Region of Nepal. Despite the pleas of Kasu Brahmananda Reddy and Yaswantrao Chavan [2], the Indian Prime Minister began to move Indian Army units onto the Nepali border, and starting to fund border rebellions among the indian resident population living on the Nepali side of the border. This spark allowed the Indian army to enter Nepal as Casus Belli beginning the Nepal War. The flatlands of the Terai were rolled up quickly by the Indian Army, however, as soon as they touched the hills, the war became attritional. Mobilization of the Royal Nepali Army and the reserves as well as new volunteers saw over 500,000 men in the Royal Nepalese Army fighting for the nation, and behind Indian lines, Guerillas cropped up fighting against their occupation. The PRC, threatened by the Indian Invasion of Nepal, allowed Nepali Partisans to use century-old yak and caravan trails in Tibet to supply said guerillas, forming the King Mahendra Trail Paths. Internationally even the USSR, which was aligned with India, frowned on this invasion (for the USSR also had excellent relations with Nepal during the time of invasion [3]). But the most outraged of countries was Britain, who was host to the largest Nepali diaspora community outside of South Asia. On the instigation of Britain, the International Volunteer Brigades of Nepal was established, formed up by Nepali Diaspora members and pro-Nepali westerner volunteers fighting for Nepal. In India itself, the Nepali Diaspora reacted violently to the invasion of their 'motherland'. Indian Gurkhas refused to fight and mutinied, whilst Assamese Nepalese openly supported the Assamese separatist groups. Sikkimese Nepalese launched a passive resistance campaign as well, unwilling to recognize Sikkim's annexation.

By the 1980s, it had become clear that the war had devolved into stalemate. Whilst the Indian Army had the numbers, the Nepalese had the home terrain advantage, guerilla tactics and foreign support. The losses in Nepal was becoming intolerable, and the Indian Congress's grip on power in the Indian political arena was slowly crashing down as more and more body bags came home from Nepal. In 1983, Indira Gandhi was assassinated by a Khalistani Nationalist crying 'Freedom for Khalistan & Nepal!' before the assailant killed himself after the deed. Gandhi's successor, Shankkarao Chavan opened a dialogue in 1984 through Bangladesh, culminating in the 1984 Delhi Peace Accords wherein India pledged to withdraw its army by the end of August, 1984 and play $10.6 Billion to Nepal as reconstruction payment. The Nepal War proved costly in human lives - with ~92,000 Indians killed & captured in Nepal, and a further ~400,000 wounded in the war. Nepal suffered even more - with around ~300,000 to ~450,000 military deaths and captured (total deaths with civilian populace is estimated to be ~1.1 million).

As India withdrew from Nepal in August 1984, Nepal settled down to rebuild, whilst India stared at a political and economic crisis coming in the future.......

[1] - All things in this paragraph are true.
[2] - The Point of Divergence so to speak.
[3] - True Historically.
[*] - sources are: India Nepal Relations: Historical, Cultural and Political Perspectives by Sanasam Sandhyarni Devi, India and Nepal: A Changing Relationship by S. D. Muni, India China Nepal: Decoding Trilaterism by Pramod Jaiswal, India-Nepal Relations: 1960-91 by Sutapa Sarkar, Politics of Geo-politics: Continuity and Change in India-Nepal Relations by Lok Raj Baral. Intended to make this scenario as realistic as possible.

Thoughts and Comments?
What was the size of the indian army that invaded?
How did the madhesis react to the invasion?

The war would have had significant impact on the India including the secessionist movements across India.

What was the size of the indian army that invaded?
Around ~300,000 Indian troops were involved in the initial invasion as per OTL estimates according to Rao.
How did the madhesis react to the invasion?
Despite the (mis)conception outside Nepal that Madesis are separatists, that is actually quite false - the earliest Nepali Nationalists were the Madesi people. They reacted violently, culminating in the Loyalist Madhesi Resistance.
The war would have had significant impact on the India including the secessionist movements across India.
It would have a lot of impact geopolitically in South Asia, China and the Cold War. The Description is a bit of a simplification really.

Around ~300,000 Indian troops were involved in the initial invasion as per OTL estimates according to Rao.
That's a significant part.
Despite the (mis)conception outside Nepal that Madesis are separatists, that is actually quite false - the earliest Nepali Nationalists were the Madesi people. They reacted violently, culminating in the Loyalist Madhesi Resistance
Ehh, not because I thought them separatists. Well not entirely.
(Barely know anything about them. Other than the fact that some of them want an autonomous region?)

I asked because they are the guys that live in Terai region which India occupied. (As far as I know). So would have been central the war.

It would have a lot of impact geopolitically in South Asia, China and the Cold War. The Description is a bit of a simplification really.
Yeah. That's true.
Stuff in himalayas makes a far greater impact than one would otherwise think.

Will you all stop arguing;-

There are polite ways of asking, this isn't one of them.
There are polite ways of rebuking, this isn't one of them.
Nor is this.
You are probably right but it's not calming things down.

Lets just concentrate on maps.

That being said, GIMP allowed me to re-size the second map and overlay the coast, recolouring?
Your job.
View attachment 727146
Once you have recoloured, re-post so everyone can share the map if they want it.
i've tried to recolor, but the misaligned borders and the antialiasing is giving me problems.

I mean using the larger map as reference material, not gimping it due to differences in projection, the issue of anti aliasing and the shape of the coastline/border.

i've tried to recolor, but the misaligned borders and the antialiasing is giving me problems.

I mean using the larger map as reference material, not gimping it due to differences in projection, the issue of anti aliasing and the shape of the coastline/border.
I'm guessing that you are a new mapmaker, most of it is done pixel by pixel.
I've indexed the colours - if you have the right system you can change all the areas of the same colour. I suggest i.mage available here.
The coastline/border was actually my addition to correct the map you are using which has the coast along the ice-edge in the east of the map.

I must admit, even with all of your "explanations" I still am not sure exactly what you are looking for;

TOPOGRAPHY
topo idx v1.png

"GREENLAND" TYPE EFFECT
topo idx v2.png

OR MORE REALISTIC ICE COVER
topo idx v3.png

Deleted member 108228

That was really well done. It's a grim future, but there's still hope. I like how nuanced it is.
*sees general collapse of society, induced by climate change; clear annihilation of liberal democracy

...weeps.

*sees Myanmar overthrew the SAC in the 2020s and became a post-Bamar supremacist, revolutionary entity

...you did good, Ernacius. Damn good.

Thank you all for the kind words. It does mean a lot to know my stuff is enjoyed!

Status
Not open for further replies.