My no-Rome TL

The TL will begin with Brennus sacking Rome after becoming impatient with Roman negotiations. Rome will never fully recover, leading to Etruscan re-dominance in Italy.

That's the pitch. I'd like this thread to be a sounding board for ideas. If you have one, please make it known.

There were many different people in Italy: Latins, Ligurians, Celts, Venetians, Greeks, Etruscans... who'll gain the upper hand?

Rockingham

Banned
The etruscans were already on the way down anyway....they had ceased to be a sea power, having been eclipsed by carthage and the greeks, the only region they had real influence was the tyrhennian sea....

This is more likely to turn into a carthage-wank then anything else:D Simpy for lack of a strong enough rival on Italy.

Then again, you could just have the Etruscans replace the Roman empire and perform the same function the romans dit in TTL.

Or, better yet, you could have no big med empires, or at least delay them for a while longer....

Susano

Banned
Teh Greeks of Magna Graecia were falling down, too... however, Carthage never really did empire building until the Roman victory in the First Punic War forced them so, so I dont think they would suddenly change that and rise to be the "replcament mediterrean empire", so to say.

There were many different people in Italy: Latins, Ligurians, Celts, Venetians, Greeks, Etruscans... who'll gain the upper hand?

Gauls in the Po valley. South of that Etruscan, with the Greek cities maintaining a degree of independence.

I have Europe and most of the Med figured out, for the couple of hundred years immediately following the POD.

The parts I need help with are Africa, specifically Egypt, India and China. Perhaps someone could give me some info on these areas between 390 and Alexander?

Egypt was a part of the Persian empire before Alexander and under the Ptolemaic dynasty afterwards, why?

Until 221 BC, China was divided; see "warring states period".

Rome was, to all intents and purposes, an Etruscan city.

If the Romans pack up and leave (to Veii) then some other group will colonize the only fordable point on the Tiber for kilometers around and essential for trade. But then, the tradition of abandoning the city was probably a myth invented to demonstrate how terrible the sack was.

Egypt was a part of the Persian empire before Alexander and under the Ptolemaic dynasty afterwards, why?

Until 221 BC, China was divided; see "warring states period".

Just needed to know where to start.

Rome was, to all intents and purposes, an Etruscan city.

If the Romans pack up and leave (to Veii) then some other group will colonize the only fordable point on the Tiber for kilometers around and essential for trade. But then, the tradition of abandoning the city was probably a myth invented to demonstrate how terrible the sack was.

It had qualities of Etruscan culture, just as it had Greek qualities. But it was neither. A distinct political and religous tradition was established there, with many influences, but quite unique at that time. Perhaps have it be resettled by Etruscans...

My idea is for the sack to be as terrible, or more so, as the Roman storytellers said it was. In lieu of an apology, they take everything they can and destroy what they can't. There wouldn't be many Romans left.

Last edited:

It had qualities of Etruscan culture, just as it had Greek qualities. But it was neither. A distinct political and religous tradition was established there, with many influences, but quite unique at that time. Perhaps have it be resettled by Etruscans...

My idea is for the sack to be as terrible, or more so, as the Roman storytellers said it was. In lieu of an apology, they take everything they can and destroy what they can't. There wouldn't be many Romans left.

It was quite clearly an Etruscan city. More along the lines of England after the Conquest probably. Later influxes of outsiders like the Julio-Claudians notwithstanding.

As I said even if every single remaining Roman left someone would resettle the place almost immediately. Since Roman history really started again from scratch after the sack there may not be much of a difference in the eventual outcome.

Just so you have a bit more information, China was united under the Qin Dynasty in 221 BC to 206 BC. A Civil War followed whereby the Han Dynasty gained control over the land in the year the Qin collapsed.