nigeria=great power

Rather than dismiss the idea out of hand, let me first ask what do you mean by a "great power"?
If you mean great in the same ways that France or the UK were great during the 20th century, then the chances are very poor. If, however, you mean something more like a regional power - like, say, India or Australia - then it might be more possible. I don't know much about Nigeria, but I seem to recall there's a lot of potential in terms of wealth and an educated population if it can just be brought to bear.

Its possible but not as currently constituted. You need to get rid of a good chunk of the North, which becomes Hausaland. Ibos and Yorubas can coexist but not with Hausas. You need competent leaders that effectively develop oil wealth and invest it into their human capital. You need significant assistance from the West (have whoever is in charge be loudly and vocally anti-communist) both militarily and financially. With those factors, you coukd have something pretty nice going by 2012.

If you are an oil producer you have a greater than zero shot at at least regional Power status.

I think that they could definitely become at least a regional power in the future, due to their oil reserves and large population. This is, of course, contingent on them getting their population educated and working out their internal issues.

I don't think it'd be possible to get them into a position of power in the present day without a POD fairly far back.

Between 60 and 66?!?! During the time of the Roman Empire? Move it to Before 1900, please.

If someone posts a date like that in the post-1900 forum I think we can infer they meant the 1900s or later. I agree that accuracy is important, but it's not as if the meaning as written is utterly obscure.

Anaxagoras

Banned
If someone posts a date like that in the post-1900 forum I think we can infer they meant the 1900s or later. I agree that accuracy is important, but it's not as if the meaning as written is utterly obscure.

I was attempting to be sarcastic.

No.

A Great Power is one that is a military power with capacilities outside its region (though not necessarily global) and has large and globally important economy (though not a Global Economic Pillar).

A Great Power is only possible when you have a relatively stable and peaceful state that's atleast near 1st world levels of development.