No Santa Claus-If Paul Tsongas Won In '92: An Open 1990s TL

"I'm not trying to play Santa Claus"-Senator Tsongas answers why he won't promise a tax cut
Paul-for-Prexy1.jpg
January 25, 1992: Former Massachusetts Senator Paul Tsongas, a fiscal conservative, rockets to a lead in the New Hampshire Democratic primary. Former frontrunner Bill Clinton has lost nearly 20 points in the polls in less than a week after scandals involving infidelity, draft-dodging, and potential drug use.

January 26, 1992: Bill Clinton with his wife Hillary holds a 60 Minutes interview at the conclusion of the Super Bowl to deny the charges of infidelity.

January 30, 1992: Purpoted Clinton mistress Gennifer Flowers holds a press conference and reveals tapes of her with the Arkansas Governor. The voice is recognisably Clinton's. The tapes are then sent away for lab analysis.

February 10, 1992: Favorite son Tom Harkin gets nearly 80% of the vote in the Iowa caucuses.

February 12, 1992: Lab analysis confirms the voice in the Flowers tapes is that of Bill Clinton. This exposes Clinton's infidelity and cripples him in the final stretch before the New Hampshire primary.

February 18, 1992:
New Hampshire primary
Paul Tsongas-39.21%
Bill Clinton-14.78%
Bob Kerrey-14.09%
Tom Harkin-10.68%
Jerry Brown-8.65%

Senator Tsongas wins the New Hampshire primary in a landslide, and is the new frontrunner. Bill Clinton's abysmal showing leads to speculation he will drop out. New Hampshire just upended the Democratic race.

---------------------
Since collaborative TLs are in fashion now, I thought I'd add one too. This is an open thread so everyone can contribute. Just don't post contradictory or ASB stuff. Go ahead!

Last edited:
Hmmm, a short Greek man from Massachusetts as the Democratic frontrunner, that's very unique you know.

Tsongas isn't Dukakis.

Some similarities sure, but differences too.

Any contributions? You're a good writer so you could help. Let's get started!

February 19, 1992: Paul Tsongas claims a 'great victory' in New Hampshire and declares himself the frontrunner.

February 20, 1992: A tabloid report says Bill Clinton's wife Hillary has separated from Bill and moved to Illinois. The Clintons campaign denies the report.

February 22, 1992: A new national poll shows Tsongas at 33%, Bill Clinton at 16%, Jerry Brown at 9% while 20% support Mario Cuomo, who has declined to run.

February 23, 1992: Senator Tsongas beats Governor Jerry Brown in the Maine caucuses, getting 34% of the vote to Brown's 30%. Governor Clinton got 10%, intensifying pressure for him to drop out.

While Tsongas loses ClInton's Southern support, he wins some Perot support. He wins the 1992 general election. How long does he live?

Can someone else please do some posts too? This is a collaborative TL, you all can contribute if you want.

Thanks for collaborating!

Do they get a majority or hung Parliament? Results? Any other PoD in the UK or just butterflies?

Good so far keep it up!

I'm not going to collaborate as much as I do in KGN, because I'm really more focused on that than this, but I will make occasional updates here.

Yes, Labour gets a small majority. (I don't know much about British politics, but '92 was a close one OTL and a defining one.)

February 24, 1992: Clinton vows to continue campaign, appears with Hillary, vows to be "New Democrat for a new era"

February 25, 1992: Bob Kerrey wins South Dakota, beating Tom Harkin, his only rival in that state.

February 27, 1992: Candidates stump for March 3, Tsongas hopes to sweep the board, Clinton barely clinging in race hoping for win in Georgia, while Brown hopes to break out.

March 3, 1992: The March 3 contests are held. Tsongas wins Colorado, Idaho, Maryland, Minnesota(beating Tom Harkin narrolwy in Idaho and Minnesota) and Utah and Washington. Clinton wins Georgia, but does relatively poorly there, getting 42.17% of the vote to Tsongas' 36.01% of the vote, in a state that is supposed to be an ideal fit for him. Meanwhile several top figures in the Clinton campaign, including James Carville, resign. Jerry Brown heads into the coming contests, vowing to be the 'anti-Tsongas' after the implosion of Bill Clinton's campaign. Tsongas declares "The nomination, and the future of this nation, is ours for the taking, if only we can be brave enough to seize the opportunity." Brown says 'The movement of the people will rise up against the failures of Washington."

March 7, 1992- The March 7th Primaries are held. Tsongas sweeps Arizona and Wyoming as expected. Bill Clinton barely pulls off a win in South Carolina, winning by only one percentage point.
March 8-10, 1992- Tsongas wins every primary, except for Texas, which goes to Brown by a staggering 30 points.
March 17-31, 1992- Tsongas wins the remaining March primaries.

March 15, 1992: "I am ending my presidential campaign" Bill Clinton said "No, it's true. After careful thought, I have made a decision. We did our best, but we lost. God bless this great nation."

April 2, 1992: Jerry Brown wins the Alaska caucuses. After close showings in Tsongas's home ground of the North-east, he picks up momentum as the anti-Tsongas.

April 7, 1992: 4 contests are held. Paul Tsongas wins Kansas easily. He got a close win in New York, beating Brown by a 5-point margin. Governor Brown wins Minnesota and Wisconsin after a late surge. Brown claims victory, and indeed he had a great night. Brown vows "Paul Tsongas, this is the real deal. We're rising, and we're gonna beat you and win this nomination!" Tsongas retains a huge delegate lead.