Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

Yugoslavia, November 28th, 1944

Sremca Mitrovica was liberated by the British 10th Army. Allied forces were slowly resuming their advance against the Germans and the Croatian army. Thanks to energetic recruitment within Serbia and Montenegro the Royal Yugoslav army had by now grown to nearly a quarter million men with over 200,000 of them at the front, more than Slim's 150,000 British and Polish troops but fewer than the over 300,000 Greek soldiers in the front. The largest component of the Allied forces in Yugoslavia was the Yugoslav People's army as thanks to mass Soviet arms deliveries its regular forces were over 330,000 men. Even more Soviet arms were on the way...
I didn't expect that large Greek forces fighting in Yugoslavia! How many Axis forxes are still fighting in Yugoslavia?

Great update. I wonder how events on China will play out. That was a bad defeat for the Allies and will bloster the war camp in Japan.

Ohoho these infantry support weapons will be huge export successes ! Is the copied machine gun similar to MG3 ?
Since MG3 is a reverse engineered MG-42 itself it can't be much different. If anything MG-42 clones are going to be even more widespread TTL. In OTL the American clone T24 got messed up by the General Motors engineers failing to take into account to longer length of the US 7.62×63 cartridge. TTL Dougout Doug took the right decision back in 1932 and the US is using 7x51. Which accidentally was one of the earliest notable butterflies outside Europe and the Near East...

Question: What kind of doctrine and equipment the Irish forces are using in the Italian campaign? Are they using Commonwealth, American or a mix of both?

Guangxi, China, November 24th, 1944

The Japanese army advance halted, after capturing two thirds of the province within three months. Despite seriously outnumbering its Japanese opponents, and the situation of Japan being increasingly desperate in the Pacific, the Chinese army had been once more defeated suffering 25,000 dead, more than four times as many as the Japanese. And the imperial army had not failed to accompany its advance once more with widespread massacres. Civilian deaths were said to reach 215,000.

Was the Burma toad ever closed in this timeline? I thought the UK held the Japanese to a standstill before they closed it. Because if it was still open I don’t know if Operation Ichi-Go would have ended exactly the same. I could be misremembering though.

I didn't expect that large Greek forces fighting in Yugoslavia! How many Axis forxes are still fighting in Yugoslavia?
With the war still on I cannot see why someone would be keeping veteran Greek divisions armed by now to Anglo-American standards out of the fight. If anything the only reason its only 300,000 men and not even more is logistical constraints. The Axis has about 372,000 German soldiers (including various foreigners in German service) plus about 207,000 Croatians.
Well, with Bulgaria and Turkey knocked out, the Greeks have a lot of forces free to deploy.
That. The Greek army is around 550,000 men after all... and actually growing in numbers although it is not going to exceed its peak numbers back in early 1941.
Great update. I wonder how events on China will play out. That was a bad defeat for the Allies and will bloster the war camp in Japan.
Arguably not much different than OTL so far. The changes in the Pacific war from Pearl Harbor to Leyte did not much affect the war at the strategic level...
Question: What kind of doctrine and equipment the Irish forces are using in the Italian campaign? Are they using Commonwealth, American or a mix of both?
The officer corps begun as British trained much like OTL. Nearly the entire material of the Irish Expeditionary Force in Italy is American made which is why they are fighting as part of the US 5th Army. Soo... pick your choice.
Was the Burma toad ever closed in this timeline? I thought the UK held the Japanese to a standstill before they closed it. Because if it was still open I don’t know if Operation Ichi-Go would have ended exactly the same. I could be misremembering though.
The Burma road did get closed much like OTL, even though the Burma front has been going slightly better than OTL, for one thing Montgomery did not waste resources on the Chindits...

tbf I wonder with Sweden very much on the side of the WAllies I wonder would we see a Scandinavian customs union first so that they can use each other's resources better and increase cooperation. Think a Scandinavian EU that would merge with the EU proper in the future.

Also with Greece building their own arms industry it would be good if Greece becomes a vital component of it by starting with copies of German assault rifles, and I think they'll very much develop their capabilities as the ME heats up.

Is the greek army still using manlichers?
IIRC not quite, their using a native design derived from the Mannlicher Schonauer with the major change being a 6 round En-bloc clip magazine similar to the M1 Garand chambered in the 7x51 (.276) Pedersen round.

Last edited:
Is the greek army still using manlichers?
Yes, no, it's complicated. They entered the war with about 144,000 Mannlicher-Schoenauer rechambered after 1925 to 7x51 and 342,431 Mannlicher-Filippidis a variant design. The former probably has been relegated to secondary uses by 1944. The latter should still be the most numerous rifle in use besides the large initial numbers it was also in production.
IIRC not quite, their using a native design derived from the Mannlicher Schonauer with the major change being a 6 round En-bloc clip magazine similar to the M1 Garand chambered in the 7x51 (.276) Pedersen round.
Don't remember Filippidis using a 6 round clip. Post that the Greeks have been also producing a licensed copy of FN SAFN-49, T-40 in TTL Greek parlance which should be gradually replacing the older bolt action rifles in the production lines. And the of course you have AT-40, OTL EPK "machine gun" as a proto-assault rifle

Well, it seems like the PRC would still be a thing ITTL, if this is any indication.
Yes and no. I doubt at this point enough can be done to stop it completely. There’s still a lot that can be done depending on how equipment gets distributed to the Chinese. Assuming the European theater ends a month or two earlier but the Asian theater continues along basically OTL there’s more American equipment likely to make its way to the Nationalist Chinese as they’re the only people who really need it. Assuming things are going as OTL the Ledo road will be open soon. There’s also the question of how the Japanese war materials get split in TTL. OTL they were a big boon to the Communist Chinese. If more of that material get to the Nationalists instead it could be very useful.

Now at the end of the day more material may not change much of anything at all. The Nationalists had more problems than equipment deficiencies. But it might be enough to keep Hainan or a foot on the mainland. Especially if they can hold out til TTL Korean War. Then they’re like to get a significant amount of additional materials. And possibly the West outright wins the Korean War if the Chinese are distracted by the nationalists

Now at the end of the day more material may not change much of anything at all. The Nationalists had more problems than equipment deficiencies. But it might be enough to keep Hainan or a foot on the mainland. Especially if they can hold out til TTL Korean War. Then they’re like to get a significant amount of additional materials. And possibly the West outright wins the Korean War if the Chinese are distracted by the nationalists
Tbf that would be interesting if they stay at Hainan, bc once the nationalists broke they essentially knew they're fucked and ran to Taiwan in otl so a foot at the mainland is kinda impossible, especially when you see the army sizes involved in the civil war.

You kinda need American assistance for for example, southern china to be part of the roc.

But Hainan not falling was defo preventable especially if the Americans lended more supplies (or rather the defenders got more supplies) and anti ship equipment, or the Americans blow the junks up in fear of the dominoes theory.

Tbf that would be interesting if they stay at Hainan, bc once the nationalists broke they essentially knew they're fucked and ran to Taiwan in otl so a foot at the mainland is kinda impossible, especially when you see the army sizes involved in the civil war.

You kinda need American assistance for for example, southern china to be part of the roc.

But Hainan not falling was defo preventable especially if the Americans lended more supplies (or rather the defenders got more supplies) and anti ship equipment, or the Americans blow the junks up in fear of the dominoes theory.
I will say that if the extra equipment can save some of the more elite units from being captured/killed early on it might be enough to try and hold something like the Leizhou peninsula as well. I’m not thinking of much beyond that without major outside intervention.