(OLD) The Indrema Revolution - An Alternate History of Indrema

Prologue
NOTE: This version of the TL is no longer being worked on. Check out the new version here:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...amped-an-alternate-history-of-indrema.547990/

CCJZxj8.png

The Indrema Revolution
by KPyall

Howdy, the name's KP! This is my first timeline. The idea started in January 2022, when I posted a history of Indrema. Somebody on a Discord server said I should make an alternate history of Indrema, and so I did.

Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. These are three current console manufacturers that don’t really need an introduction. But did you know there was almost a fourth one? No, not Sega. We’re talking about a console manufacturer that you probably didn’t know. A David to Goliath. An underdog of the industry. This is… Indrema. Here's what happened IOTL in a nutshell; In March 1999 (1), during a game of Capture the Flag in Quake (2), a man named John Gildred wanted an open-source console that anyone could develop games for. Indrema didn’t officially become a company until “the turn of the new millennium”, according to its website at the time. (3) They wanted to create a system known as the L600, also known as the Indrema Entertainment System. It could do it all; it could play games, obviously, but it would also record shows like a TiVo, play MP3s like an iPod, and browse the web like a computer, all on a Linux-based system. The console would be based on PC components and cost only $299. However, it may have been too good to be true. By April 2001, Indrema needed $10 million to survive (5). Because venture capitalists weren’t so keen on the product and weren't interested (7), Indrema shut down. However, John Gildred then got a job at Pioneer planning on making a new digital TV platform (6). So, that raises the question; would Indrema do to have their system at least moderately successful? What would they do after that? This is more than just a revolution; this is The Indrema Revolution (“He said it! He said it!”). This timeline will mainly be focused on Indrema, the gaming industry as a whole, and pop culture as we know it. Some will change, some won't. This timeline will probably span from Indrema's conception in 1999 to the present day.

Before we begin, let me set some ground rules.
  1. You can contribute! Although I mainly write the timeline, you can give me suggesting by DMing me, and if it suits the timeline, either you or I can post it.
  2. Don’t get ahead. For example, posting stuff that would happen in 2008 when we’re in 2004.
  3. Be respectful to other members and real people featured on this timeline.
  4. I’ll try to reply if I have the time. Don’t get mad when I don’t reply a few minutes after you post something. I have a life outside of this, ya know? School, errands, life, and heck, even procrastinating.
  5. I usually spell some things differently depending on the time period (example: a store would be “Wal-Mart” in 2001 and “Walmart” in 2010)
  6. Many events of this timeline are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual events are purely coincidental. They should not be interpreted as actual events.
  7. And most of all, enjoy this timeline!

SOURCES AND OTHER STUFF:
  1. https://web.archive.org/web/2001020...e-unlimited.com/articles/indrema/index2.shtml
  2. https://web.archive.org/web/20010119183000/http://www.gamespy.com/devdiary/october00/indrema1/
  3. https://web.archive.org/web/2000060...rema.com/servlet/site?page=about_indrema.html
  4. https://web.archive.org/web/2000060...t/site?page=whats_a_web_console_consumer.html
  5. https://web.archive.org/web/20011117204046/http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5578733.html
  6. https://web.archive.org/web/2001061...ws_story.php3?ltsn=2001-04-12-001-03-NW-GM-BU
  7. https://web.archive.org/web/2001061...ws_story.php3?ltsn=2001-04-11-006-03-NW-ST-GM

Last edited:
would Indrema do to have their system at least moderately successful?
A Backer, one willingly going toe to toe with Sony that was moneyhatting and bullying everyone...Samsung? They can pull the nationalistic war too

I'd heard of this console before, I think it might've been overly ambitious for the time period - I'd scrap the ability to browse the internet and record shows, while making it able to play CDs and DVDs just as a PS2 would, its open-source nature being its main selling point: bedroom developers existed back then too, so you might see an earlier indie boom, with Cave Story and the Touhou Project games being released for it.

A Backer, one willingly going toe to toe with Sony that was moneyhatting and bullying everyone...Samsung? They can pull the nationalistic war too
That kinda sounds good, actually. I think Samsung would probably back the system and supply RAM and a DVD drive for the system...
How would that effect Microsoft and their Xbox, BTW?
I'd heard of this console before, I think it might've been overly ambitious for the time period - I'd scrap the ability to browse the internet and record shows, while making it able to play CDs and DVDs just as a PS2 would, its open-source nature being its main selling point: bedroom developers existed back then too, so you might see an earlier indie boom, with Cave Story and the Touhou Project games being released for it.
I'd only keep the Internet for online gaming for something like Xbox Live if we were to omit the browser, and I'd keep the MP3 playing abilities
I'd have the line up to be a mix of LSeries exclusives, indie games, and even some crappy shovelware...
I agree that some of Gildred's ideas for the L600 IOTL were out of the ballpark at the time, like a controller with a microphone(1)....

How would that effect Microsoft and their Xbox, BTW
They're as otl, even more, Microsoft knew and feared that Sony might have been pushing Linux in PS2 and future consoles as an os outside windows(that kutaragi wanted but mismanagement and branch friction killed the project) here there is not one but two? Full steam ahead

1999-2000 - The Beginning of Indrema (POD)
Okay, let's begin, for realsies.

1999-2000
the beginning of indrema

The beginning of Indrema is more or less the same as OTL. They played Quake, while Sony unveiled the PS's successor and Microsoft was working on the DirectX Box. However, this all changes after the Quake game. Instead of it being officially incorporated in December of 1999, Gildred decided to open it a while after the Quake game. He had his friends, angel investors invest the system, investors, and even his savings and line of credit to open Indrema just like OTL. (1) Because of its PC-like architecture, and the fact that PC technology was (and still is) rapidly evolving, the specs weren't nailed down yet. Intel or AMD? nVidia, ATI, or 3dfx (who attempted to put their GPU on what would become the Dreamcast)? Because it would use off the shelf components, the console's specs would change frequently when new components were available until they got the perfect parts to build the system. For the Linux kernel, Indrema chose Red Hat Linux as the base in exchange for Red Hat partnering with Indrema and investing $10 million for the company(2). Like its Microsoft competitor, which ran a stripped down version of Windows 2000, Indrema would do the same thing for Red Hat Linux.

More major companies could fund Indrema's capital for the next couple of years.

2 - Indrema did work with Red Hat, but it's unknown if they raised capital IOTL since the article wasn't archived

Last edited:
Okay, let's begin, for realsies.

1999-2000
the beginning of indrema

The beginning of Indrema is more or less the same as OTL. They played Quake, while Sony unveiled the PS's successor and Microsoft was working on the DirectX Box. However, this all changes after the Quake game. Instead of it being officially incorporated in December of 1999, Gildred decided to open it a while after the Quake game. He had his friends, angel investors invest the system, investors, and even his savings and line of credit to open Indrema just like OTL. (1) Because of its PC-like architecture, and the fact that PC technology was (and still is) rapidly evolving, the specs weren't nailed down yet. Intel or AMD? nVidia, ATI, or 3dfx (who attempted to put their GPU on what would become the Dreamcast)? Because it would use off the shelf components, the console's specs would change frequently when new components were available until they got the perfect parts to build the system. For the Linux kernel, Indrema chose Red Hat Linux as the base in exchange for Red Hat partnering with Indrema and investing $10 million for the company(2). Like its Microsoft competitor, which ran a stripped down version of Windows 2000, Indrema would do the same thing for Red Hat Linux. More major companies could fund Indrema's capital for the next couple of years.

2 - This, to my knowledge, never happened IOTL.
You know just got to say this seems really interesting and doing something as unique as taking a company like indrema something I have never heard of before now and asking Hey What if they survived and later on thrived in the console market That's something I've never heard of before certainly more unique then me at least.

You know just got to say this seems really interesting and doing something as unique as taking a company like indrema something I have never heard of before now and asking Hey What if they survived and later on thrived in the console market That's something I've never heard of before certainly more unique then me at least.
Thank you! Although I wasn’t born during the rise and fall of Indrema (born in 2005), I’ve known them since almost a decade ago when browsing Wikipedia. I’ve loved its history (although it’s a bit sad) and what would happen if it actually caught on.

Last edited:
(1999 Media Stuff: Blah, blah, blah, blah, filler, filler, filler, filler [Yes, this is a Gumball reference])
BEFORE WE MOVE ON...
Ah, the popular culture scene. What's happened?

To give you a slice of what's happening, SpongeBob SquarePants and Family Guy premiere. Although SpongeBob is currently still airing both ITTL and IOTL, Family Guy still gets cancelled and revived?... The landscape's still kinda like OTL for the most part. (Sorry, I've got almost nothing significant... Don't fret, I might have more changes in the popular culture landscape for the following years...)

Wow........................this is highly intriguing. Now Indrema? This is new. Still, I severely hope this TL of yours succeeds! And if you need help, I'm here!

2000-2001 - The Dawn of a Revolution
2000-2001
The Dawn of a Revolution

hdtv-demo.jpg

The original HDTV demo box by Indrema from 2000. This is the first publicly shown Indrema hardware IOTL and ITTL.
It is NOT a prototype of the L600.

“This is unprecedented. Game developers and audio/video application developers now have a choice. They can marry to a proprietary platform where evolution is dictated by one company or embrace an open entertainment platform where the system software is freely distributed. Indrema will release a distribution of the Linux operating system designed specifically for TV and HDTV users. We are working with the open source community to develop the missing pieces of the Linux platform to enable robust video support and next-generation 3D graphics performance. The days of the black box are over." - John Gildred (1) (Typos have been fixed.)

In January 2000, Indrema was officially incorporated, almost a year after the company was first conceptualized. In March, Indrema announced the L600 (later called the IES). It was more feature-packed than any other of its time. Indrema's endeavor would be an ambitious idea for a console/media center that had an upgradeable GPU, access to the Internet, an MP3 player alongside a CD/DVD player and, obviously, playing games. Indrema would go to conventions to demo the L600/IES throughout 2000 and the next year. Because they partnered with Red Hat (2), the DV Linux distro would be a stripped down version of Red Hat Linux at its core. However, the system had to face a bunch of delays because both the hardware and software weren't ready yet, resulting in Indrema scraping some features because of them being too ambitious at the time. They removed the DVR and made the GPU integrated. Although they did keep its Internet functionality, the L600 would have its multimedia capabilities between an Xbox and PS2, playing CDs and DVDs, with the ability to burn music to the HDD just like the Xbox could. It could allow users to download games, (Indrema prioritized smaller games because most people had dial-up at the time). By 2001, Indrema had started promoting the IES and started having developers, and it opened its in-house game studio the year prior. The first promotions were in technology magazines inciting developers to make games for the Indrema, explaining the differences between developing for the IES vs. GCN, PS2, and Xbox. The system still didn't have a release date. By that time, Red Hat, IBM, and even nVidia had invested in Indrema, and the company was looking for a manufacturer to eventually mass-produce the product. Potential manufacturers included Flextronics (who manufactured the Xbox for MS) and Foxconn, but the only one that also wanted to invest in the company was none other than the Korean conglomerate Samsung, who would manufacture the system, including its RAM and DVD drive, and also invested in the company with $25 million. These major corporations helped the company be stable, averting its downfall IOTL.

Let's see what's in development for Indrema Studios:

The Book of Aeri (by me) - The "flagship" game of the IES. An RPG with some platforming elements about 16-year-old Joe Anderson and his cousins, who get trapped in a magical book. With the help of a queen, a wise-cracking rust-bucket, and a happy-go-lucky robot, they go on bizarre worlds to defeat "The Unknown".
Astro the Armadillo (me & and Otakuninja2006) - A Crash Bandicoot-like 3D platformer game/third-person shooter about an armadillo named Astro in a high-tech Wild West world invaded by a bionic coyote.
Railpunchers (by @Otakuninja2006) - A Tony Hawk-like skateboarding/graffiti game with a bright and colorful art style, challenges, and did we mention graffiti? Tons of graffiti.

Last edited:
2000-2001
The Dawn of a Revolution

View attachment 867881
The original HDTV demo box for the IES from 2000. This is the first publicly shown Indrema hardware IOTL and ITTL.
Cool.
In January 2000, Indrema was officially incorporated, almost a year the company was first conceptualized. In March, Indrema announced the L600 (later called the IES). It was feature-packed than any other of its time. Indrema's endeavor would be an ambitious idea for a console/media center that had an upgradable GPU, access to the Internet, an MP3 player alongside a CD/DVD player and, obviously, playing games. Indrema would go to conventions to demo the L600/IES throughout 2000 and the next year. Because they partnered with Red Hat (2), the DV Linux distro would be a stripped down version of Red Hat Linux at its core.
That's real ambitious.
However, the system had to face a bunch of delays because both the hardware and software weren't ready yet, resulting in Indrema to scrap some features because of them being too ambitious at the time. They removed the DVR and made the GPU integrated. Although they did keep its Internet functionality, the L600 would have its multimedia capabilities be between an Xbox and PS2, playing CDs and DVDs, with the ability to burn music to the HDD just like the Xbox could. It could allow users to download games, (Indrema prioritized smaller games because most people had dial-up at the time).
Well, regardless of if some of the features were stripped, it's still shaping to be a good console.
By 2001, Indrema had started promoting the IES and started having developers, and they opened their own in-house game studio the year prior. The first promotions were in technology magazines inciting developers to make games for the Indrema, explaining the differences between developing for the IES vs. GCN, PS2, and Xbox. The system still didn't have a release date. By that time, Red Hat, IBM, and even nVidia had invested in Indrema, and the company was looking for a manufacture to eventually mass-produce the product. Potential manufacturers included Flextronics (who manufactured the Xbox for MS) and Foxconn, but the only one that also wanted invest in the company was none other than the Korean conglomerate Samsung, who would manufacture the system, including its RAM and DVD drive, and also invested in the company with $25 million USD. These major corporations helped the company be stable, averting its downfall IOTL.
Cool!
Let's see what's in development for Indrema Studios:

The Book of Aeri (by me) - The "flagship" game of the IES. A RPG with some platforming elements about 16-year-old Joe Anderson and his cousins, who get trapped in a magical book. With the help of a queen, a wise-cracking rust-bucket, and a happy-go-lucky robot, they go on bizarre worlds to defeat "The Unknown".
Astro the Armadillo (me & and Otakuninja2006) - A Crash Bandicoot-like 3D platformer game/third person shooter about an armadillo named Astro in a high-tech Wild West world invaded by a bionic coyote.
Railpunchers (by @Otakuninja2006) - A Tony Hawk-like skateboarding/graffiti game with a bright and colorful art style, challenges, and did we mention graffiti? Tons of graffiti.
Those are cool!

Overall, this is shaping up to be good. Perhaps we could ask other people on the forum to come up with game ideas for the Indrema? Maybe hold a contest?

Overall, this is shaping up to be good. Perhaps we could ask other people on the forum to come up with game ideas for the Indrema? Maybe hold a contest?
That sounds like a good idea! That’s what Indrema is about IOTL and ITTL; anyone can be a indie game developer, or in this case, have ideas for a game for the system.

(Non-Indrema Media Stuff) Mario's World Announcement (2000)
Welcome to Mario's World!
The Big N is ready to hit Hollywood... again.
July 14th, 2000

Nintendo's hitting the small screen with Mario in his first show since 1991! And he's invited some friends over to party... It's Mario's World! Wahoo! The show features the famous plumber, Mario as he lives life among Nintendo's character when they're not in their games in a series of wrap-around segments between shows based on Nintendo's franchises such as:​
  • SUPER MARIO BROS. - When Bowser's up to no good, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Yoshi thwart his plans in this wacky take on the iconic video game franchise! (imagine Super Mario-Kun, the DiC cartoons, and the 2023 movie from OTL in a blender)
  • THE LEGEND OF ZELDA - A series full of surprises. In this action packed cartoon, Link must face villains across the kingdom of Hyrule. Each short is created by a different creator.
  • KIRBY - This pink puffball's getting his own show! He, with his friends, outsmart his enemies such as King Dedede and the Waddle Dees! Comedy.
  • METROID - Straight from the planet of Zebes, bounty hunter Samus Aran traveles across the galaxy on a mission to defeat Mother Brain. Action sci-fi.
  • BANJO-KAZOOIE - This short may not be absurd, but it's about a bear and bird. It might be hard, and it might be tricky, but I assure that they'll find some jiggies. Comedy.

The concept of the series was conceptualized due to the popularity of the Pokémon series internationally. Originally intended to be a Mario anime made for an international audience in mind and the company front and center (to avoid making the mistakes of the Mario movie in 1993), it expanded as a showcase of Nintendo's franchises. The show is mostly animated in 3D CGI by NCL in-house. Nintendo's American branch is currently looking for networks to broadcast the show including Fox Family, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network.

The voice cast will be revealed in the upcoming months.​

That sounds like a good idea! That’s what Indrema is about IOTL and ITTL; anyone can be a indie game developer, or in this case, have ideas for a game for the system.
Really? How easy is it for one to develop games for the Indrema?
Welcome to Mario's World!
The Big N is ready to hit Hollywood... again.
July 14th, 2000

Nintendo's hitting the small screen with Mario in his first show since 1991! And he's invited some friends over to party... It's Mario's World! Wahoo! The show features the famous plumber, Mario as he lives life among Nintendo's character when they're not in their games in a series of wrap-around segments between shows based on Nintendo's franchises such as:​
  • SUPER MARIO BROS. - When Bowser's up to no good, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Yoshi thwart his plans in this wacky take on the iconic video game franchise! (imagine Super Mario-Kun, the DiC cartoons, and the 2023 movie from OTL in a blender)
  • THE LEGEND OF ZELDA - A series full of surprises. In this action packed cartoon, Link must face villains across the kingdom of Hyrule. Each short is created by a different creator.
  • KIRBY - This pink puffball's getting his own show! He, with his friends, outsmart his enemies such as King Dedede and the Waddle Dees! Comedy.
  • METROID - Straight from the planet of Zebes, bounty hunter Samus Aran traveles across the galaxy on a mission to defeat Mother Brain. Action sci-fi.
  • BANJO-KAZOOIE - This short may not be absurd, but it's about a bear and bird. It might be hard, and it might be tricky, but I assure that they'll find some jiggies. Comedy.

The concept of the series was conceptualized due to the popularity of the Pokémon series internationally. Originally intended to be a Mario anime made for an international audience in mind and the company front and center (to avoid making the mistakes of the Mario movie in 1993), it expanded as a showcase of Nintendo's franchises. The show is mostly animated in 3D CGI by NCL in-house. Nintendo's American branch is currently looking for networks to broadcast the show including Fox Family, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network.

The voice cast will be revealed in the upcoming months.​
This is awesome! I think Zelda and Metroid should eventually be spun off into their own show.

Really? How easy is it for one to develop games for the Indrema?
It'd be pretty easy, just like IOTL, Just code it on a Linux PC with the SDK and compile it. The finished game would be either at retail stores or on the Indrema Game Channel (downloadable game store). The Indrema's basically just a stripped down PC at its core (think of it being on par with the Xbox in performance). Because Big Blue was promoting Linux (to somewhat disastrous results), they'd modify their PCs to have hardware similar to the what the final product with Red Hat Linux installed to serve as development kits for the system.
This is awesome! I think Zelda and Metroid should eventually be spun off into their own show.
I think so, too. And for the Zelda one, Link only talks a lot in the MW segments, but talks little to none in the actual shorts itself.

IBM, Sony(PS2 and PS3) they wanted linux to be the future, yet crashed and burned badly.
Indrema might successfully pull off Linux unlike IBM or Sony, starting a Linux gaming boom earlier than IOTL and beating a certain company that can't count to 3. (]Heck, they may even try to buy/partner with Valve in the future!)

It'd be pretty easy, just like IOTL, Just code it on a Linux PC with the SDK and compile it. The finished game would be either at retail stores or on the Indrema Game Channel (downloadable game store). The Indrema's basically just a stripped down PC at its core (think of it being on par with the Xbox in performance). Because Big Blue was promoting Linux (to somewhat disastrous results), they'd modify their PCs to have hardware similar to the what the final product with Red Hat Linux installed to serve as development kits for the system.
Cool! That doesn't sound very easy, but at least it's easier than the other three. And how can one get a developer kit? I mean an average Joe with a bit more gaming knowledge?
I think so, too. And for the Zelda one, Link only talks a lot in the MW segments, but talks little to none in the actual shorts itself.
That works well!
Indrema might successfully pull off Linux unlike IBM or Sony, starting a Linux gaming boom earlier than IOTL and beating a certain company that can't count to 3. (]Heck, they may even try to buy/partner with Valve in the future!)
Are you referring to Sega?