Petike's thread of historical curiosities that seem like alternate history

Petike

Kicked
For several reasons, I've decided to found this thread as a sort of personal alternative to the "Things that look like alternate history" threads.

I'll keep updating this sporadically from time to time. Usually with topics I've covered in the past, but lost the original posts.

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN ENTRIES HERE. This is my personal thread. I'm sorry I have to be strict about this, but I have to.

Last edited:

Petike

Kicked
799px-Aerial_View_of_Acoma_Sky_City.jpg

800px-Acoma_Pueblo_Sky_City_2.jpg

Acoma Pueblo in the state of New Mexico, not too far from Albuquerque, is the oldest continuously inhabited town and settlement in all of North America. By settlement, I don't mean a mere location that was inhabited for centuries, I mean a proper native town. It's also nicknamed the "Sky City", at least the overwhelming part of it on the well-defendable mesa you see in the first image. The local people knew where to fortify themselves from potential threats.

Acoma is one of a handful of really old, pre-Columbian towns that have stood the test of time and stand to this day. Even with later additions in mind, the oldest still standing architecture in the town is at least seven hundred or eight hundred years old, if not a bit more. Nothing to sneeze at. The pueblo is estimated to have originated by the early 12th century or so, at some point before or after 1100 AD, at the latest. Whereas many once great native cities of North America have vanished long ago, e.g. Cahokia in the northern United States, Acoma has never ceased to exist.

Depending on who you ask, archaeologists or local natives, the overall location on the mesa has been inhabited for nearly a thousand years, and not counting the settlement itself, the local area might be inhabited for as many as two thousand years. Regardless, the town exists since at least the 12th century.

All of that, while impressive, is not the really alternate history bit about Acoma Pueblo. The really peculiar bit is the patron saint of its church.

800px-St_Stephens_Church_at_Acoma_Pueblo.jpg

The adobe, pueblo-inspired church was built by the Spanish in the early 17th century, after they gained influence over this area.

The Church of Saint Stephen.

"Ah, Petike, Saint Stephen the early Christian martyr... Not that unusual. What's the fuss ?" you might ask yourself.

Well, the church is dedicated to Saint Stephen, but not the most famous one. It's dedicated to Saint Stephen the King.

San Estévan del Rey.

357px-Portrayal_of_Stephen_I%2C_King_of_Hungary_on_the_coronation_pall.jpg

As in, Stephen I of Hungary. I repeat: Stephen I, the first king of Hungary, a.k.a. Saint Stephen the King. A Spanish-built church in a Keres-speaking pueblo, the oldest continuously inhabited pueblo and town in all of North America. With a Hungarian patron saint. Just... what ?!

So yes, Acoma Pueblo, the oldest continuously existing native town and overall town in North America, has a Spanish-built early modern church in adobe "Pueblo style", and the church has always been dedicated to one of the first saints of the Kingdom of Hungary, identical with the very first king of the Kingdom of Hungary. Very unusual connections. :)

Oh, and it gets better ! To quote Wikipedia: "Many Acoma are Catholic, but blend aspects of Catholicism and their traditional religion. Many old rituals are still performed. In September, the Acoma honor their patron saint, Saint Stephen. For feast day, the mesa is opened to the public for the celebration. More than 2,000 pilgrims attend the San Esteban Festival. The celebration begins at San Esteban Del Rey Mission, and a carved pine effigy of Saint Stephen is removed from the altar and carried into the main plaza with people chanting, shooting rifles, and ringing steeple bells. The procession then proceeds past the cemetery, down narrow streets, and to the plaza. Upon arriving at the plaza, the effigy is placed in a shrine lined with woven blankets and guarded by two Acoma men. A celebration follows with dancing and feasting. During the festival, vendors sell goods, such as traditional pottery and cuisine."

So yes, we have one of the traditional pueblo native cultures of the US southwest honour not only the kachina spirits, but also honour Saint Stephen of Hungary, of all people. Szent István would no doubt blush and say "Golly ! Even these nice natives I've never heard about respect me ! Very humbling...".

Last edited:

Petike

Kicked
The history of spaceflight is full of "What in the hell ?!" moments

Manned spaceflight curiosities:

You can't snore in microgravity, due to how it affects the tension in your inner neck tissues and muscles. You also can't burp the same way you do on Earth, due to a similar problem with parts of your digestive system. There is the possibility of the so-called "wet burp", but that's a bit tricky to achieve. On the upside, you can still... set your bodily gases at ease. :eek: ;)

The first meal ever eaten in space and orbit were two 160 g tubes of meat purée, consumed by Yuri Gagarin. He later followed them up by opening a tube of chocolate paste and digging in, the rascal... Poor German Titov was not only the second cosmonaut in orbit, but also the first human to get sick in the stomach in space and puke. :eek: Incidentally, Dennis Tito, a near-namesake, was one of the first space tourists, and ironically enough, also got a bit sick in the stomach from some dryed fruit he ate in orbit. Ouch ! :D

There's a nearly twenty year gap between the first female cosmonaut (Tereshkova, 1963) and the second one (Savitskaya, 1982). Savitskaya was also the first female to perform extravehicular activity. There have been roughly 59 female astronauts and cosmonauts to date.

Possibly the weirdest meat consumed in orbit to date was the moose jerky brought to the ISS by Swedish astronaut Christer Fuglesang. (He wanted to bring reindeer jerky at first, but NASA objected.) The first freshly made coffee in orbit was prepared for the first time in history... in March 2015. Samantha Cristoforetti was the first human and first female in history to taste this coffee. :D

Speaking of Sam, she's also only the second ESA female astronaut who flew on a mission, and the first one in nearly 20 years (since 1996). She and Yelena Serova have had been the first two female crew members of a long-term station mission that lived concurrently on the station for a prolonged period of time.

Helen Sharman. Where to even begin ? She was the first British astronaut, the first British female astronaut, the first and only British astronaut not to fly as part of an ESA mission but as a space tourist of sorts (in 1991 !), was the first European female astronaut from a country other than the USSR and only the third female astronaut from any nation. She was also a food technician by trade, and the two male semifinalists who didn't fly in the end were guys who had served in armed forces (unlike her, a civilian).

Helen and South Korea's Yi So-yeon are the only female national spaceflight pioneers to date. All others have been male.

The third nationality in space was... Czechoslovak. Vladimír Remek in 1978. Jim Lovell is of partial Czech descent, Eugene Cernan is of even more immediate Slovak and Moravian descent. Ergo, the guy who flew both on Apollo 8 and Apollo 13, but never landed on the Moon, and the guy who led the longest, most complex and final mission to the lunar surface so far, have some ancestry that goes back to Czechia and Slovakia. Also, the well-known Czech cartoon character Krtek got a ride to the ISS and back during the last shuttle mission ever. If someone wrote this into a TL mimicing OTL, AH.com would be yelling ASB, ASB. :D

Speaking of famous relatives, astronaut Owen Garriot was a crew member of one of the Skylab missions in the 1970s. Cue some three decades later and his son Richard Garriot (an uncanny family resemblance) became one of the first space tourists. Yeah, the guy behind the creation of the Ultima game series, etc. If someone from an ATL wrote that into his TL, people would call even more bullshit on the entire scenario. :p It gets even weirder when you realise Richard is technically British-born, though culturally an American. Speaking of unlikely space tourists, Sarah Brightman, of all people, is set to become one soon.

Due to the Intercosmos programme of the East Block and their allies, countries like Czechoslovakia, Cuba, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Vietnam and Mongolia got their first astronauts sooner (sometimes much sooner) than the likes of France, Germany, Italy, UK, Switzerland, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Japan, Brazil, and perhaps most notoriously, China. If someone came to an ATL and claimed that Japan, Vietnam and Mongolia got astronauts sooner than China, everyone would bring up the ASB accusations again.

The first Slovak astronaut, Ivan Bella, flew before the first Brazilian, Swedish, and upcoming first Danish astronaut. Bella was also among the last foreign guest astronauts on the Mir space station.

Timothy Peake, after about three or four other British-born or UK-affiliated astronauts, is set to become the first British astronaut serving directly under ESA.

Belgium, despite its tiny size and jokes at the expense of its size, has already had two ESA astronauts to date.

The first spacewalk by a non-American and non-Soviet astronaut was by ESA astronaut Jean-Loup Chrétien in December 1988.

The fact that the first Dutch astronaut and first German astronaut had the rather unusual names of Wubbo Ockels and Ulf Merbold. Also, Samantha probably isn't the type of name you'd expect from the first Italian female astronaut. :p All three sound like choices made by the producers of some spaceflight-themed anime that can't be bothered to do some research into more stereotypical national names. :D ;)

Among later unusual primacies in terms of nationality, the first Indian female, first Peruvian, Iranian and Costa Rican in space were naturalised Americans. :D :cool:

The Soyuz as a basic shape and design has been in service for almost 60 years now, even though the earliest Soyuz and the current models have only the most basic things in common by this point. The Soyuz is the Doctor Who or Star Trek of human spacecraft. Thank you, Mr. Korolev ! :cool:

If someone had told the public or SF writers just a few years ago that the propulsion module of the Orion spacecraft would be based mostly on a propulsion module originally developed by ESA, they would probably snigger dismissively. The successes of SpaceX in the last few years might also make some people unfamiliar with the past fifteen years of OTL shout "Unlikely !".

Oh, and about the Orion capsule... There's the fact that in December 2014, it became the first human spacecraft since 1972 to venture beyond the usual orbits around Earth. Sort of sobering, depressing and encouraging at the same time. (Here's my own screenshot from the live broadcast of the Orion's footage.)

There is already a human being buried on a different celestial body, our own Moon. :eek: That human is the late astronomer Gene Shoemaker. :cool: Part of the dust from his cremation was scattered on the surface of the Moon when the probe Lunar Prospector finished its lunar mission in the late 1990s by impacting into the surface.

There's also a symbolic cemetary to astronauts on the Moon. Erected by an Apollo crew, it features a figure of an astronaut lying face down, and a mini-tombstone plaque in front of him, inscribed with the names of all Soviet and American astronauts that had perished in the line of duty up until that point in history.

Also, Alan Shepard peed in his diapers before his historic Freedom 7 take-off and flight and later, as commander of Apollo 14, played golf on the Moon. You just can't make stuff like this up ! :D

Felicette%2C_spacecat.jpg

Félicette, first cat in space and first French kitty in space: "Meow, l'espace ç'est magnifique !" ;)

Unmanned spaceflight curiosities:

The first photos of the dark side of the Moon were taken by a Soviet Luna probe already in 1959 ! :eek:

Mariner 2 was the first spacecraft to perform a flyby of a different planet, in this case Venus. Venera 1 nearly beat it to it, but an in-flight malfunction nixed that. Mariner 1 was blown up on the pad due to a booster malfunction and had to be replaced by Mariner 2.

The Soviets became the leaders in Venusian exploration and Venera 13 is the longest lander ever to have lasted on the surface of Venus - something over two hours. No mean feat.

The largest unmanned and mobile vehicle we've landed on an alien world is the size of a small family car. We did this with early 2010s technology. I'm referring to Curiosity.

There had been no major successful Mars probe missions between 1976 and 1996, then they suddenly started to stack up quickly. Also, Mercury had to wait nearly 40 years for a second probe mission, and to date, only Mariner 10 and MESSENGER had visited it. Ceres was first visited only in the mid-2010s and Pluto finally received a successful flyby in early July 2015.

ESA has already landed a probe on the only moon with a thick atmosphere in the Solar System, Saturn's Titan, as well as landed a probe on a moving, rotating comet. However, to date, they have not landed a probe on the Moon, Mars or Venus. Try to write this into any spaceflight TL while inhabiting an ATL and people will call it far-fetched.

Beagle 2, the lander of Mars Express and ESA's first semi-serious attempt at landing something on Mars, was found just a few months ago, more than a decade after its disappearance. Just... what ?!

Plucky little Giotto approaching Halley's Comet as close as it did already in 1986 and taking snapshots and readings. Based on ESA's state at the time, if someone wrote in this success into his TL, everyone would be yelling "ESA-wank".

The MESSENGER probe had finished its mission and impacted into the surface of Mercury in the mid-2010s. Yes, we have crashed a spacecraft into every single larger body of the inner Solar System - all four planets, and our Moon, the fifth largest object.

Thirteen years before Philae landed on comet 67P, the asteroid probe NEAR (incidentally, later dedicated to Gene Shoemaker) had landed on the irregularly shaped asteroid Eros. This is despite the fact that it was never built with a landing manuever in mind. I remember that when I heard the news back in the day, even my younger mind just went "Whoa !!! We, as a species, did what ?! Cool !".

The Hubble Space Telescope has been in continuous operation for a quarter century now, also counting several upgrades. The Mars Global Surveyor probe has been orbiting and surveying Mars long enough for someone to reach adulthood and be elligible to vote.

The fact that the Voyager probes had been as successful as they were, despite all the odds, and that at least one of them has been confirmed to be in open interstellar space at this point. The mind just boggles.

Also, the fact that Sagan convinced NASA to have a Voyager take that iconic distant snapshot of Earth. Inspirational and thought-provoking stuff, certainly. But moreover: If he hadn't coined the term "Pale Blue Dot", Alex Gerst's 2014-2015 mission on the ISS would have been called something completely different.

(I originally did this post in 2015. No doubt there've been more unusual firsts since then.)

Last edited:
@Petike I guess I could mention that in the early 1980's, Finland received an invitation to participate in the Interkosmos program as well. There was practically no interest, as doing so would have damaged the image of Finland as a neutral country and drained resources that could be spent on more practical test pilot activities, and the Soviets eventually dropped the matter. As for who would have gone to space from Finland, I've read a few mentions of test pilot Jyrki Laukkanen being considered for the gig. Interesting that there still has not been a Finnish astronaut/cosmonaut to date.

Petike

Kicked
Irish Northerns and Czechoslovak Northerns and Easterns

What do Ireland and former Czechoslovakia have in common ? They've both produced television Westerns shot entirely on their home soil.

More specifically, in terms of setting, these were Northerns. Certainly more doable from a production perspective in a Czech, Slovak and Irish environment.

An_Klondike.jpg

An Klondike ("The Klondike") is a 2015-2017 TV series by Irish-language network TG4, about mostly Irish-born prospectors on the Yukon in the late 1800s. The entire series was filmed in County Connemara, with various local hills, mountains and moors as stand-in for the Yukon Territory.

If you think that's already fairly bold and fairly AH, wait until you notice an interesting fact: This is the first Irish and likely one of the first European historical TV series to feature authentic spoken Tlingit. Yes, they went to such lengths as to hire Canadian native actors for the native roles, and have the ones that represent the local Tlingit settlers speak their native Tlingit. Bet you'd never expect to hear such a very different language in an Irish TV series !

How's that for a Whisky Northern ? ;)

And what about Czechoslovakia ? Darn it, you city slicker, pull up a chair and listen to me spin ma' yarn. It's quite the tale...

The late 1950s saw the release of the affectionate parody Western, Limonádový Joe aneb Konská opera ("Lemonade Joe or The Horse Opera"). As you can guess from the title alone, the film poked good-natured fun at the various well-worn tropes about white hats (represented by the comically squeaky-clean heroic Lemonade Joe) and black hats, from the golden age of film Westerns that occured in previous decades. A comedy with decent production values and a genuine Western feel, but it wasn't really followed by any new forays into the genre.

For much of the 1960s, despite the ideologically and creatively more relaxed atmosphere, Czechoslovak film-makers kept passing the opportunity to create a more serious domestically produced Western. For a while, it seemed Czechoslovakia would never bother to dabble in the genre at all. Not even the more viable option of Northerns.

However, after 1968, Czech director Zdeněk Sirový almost single-handedly founded a proper Western tradition - or arguably Northern tradition - in Czech and Slovak films. (The irony is not lost on those who know that he focused on these partly due to tightening post-invasion censorship in other areas of film-making.)

Sirový went on to create a trilogy of shorter Northern films during the early 1970s, often with a Klondike Gold Rush theme, and often inspired by the short fiction of Jack London. This loose trilogy consisted of the films Kaňon samé zlato ("A Canyon Full of Gold"), Claim na Hluchém potoku ("The Claim at Deaf Creek") and Poslední výstrel Davida Sandela ("David Sandel's Last Shot").

The latter half of the 1970s saw the filming and 1977 saw the TV premiere of the primarily Slovak-produced Northern TV miniseries Útek zo zlatej krajiny ("Escape from the Golden Country"), once again based on the works of Jack London, specifically his 1910 novel Burning Daylight. One of the more ambitious adventure miniseries produced by Slovakia during the 1970s. Curiously, though the cast consisted overwhelmingly of Slovak actors, the main character of Elam Hamish was portrayed by Estonian actor Bruno O'Ya. (Another tidbit that seems like alternate history.)

The final hurrah of Czechoslovak-produced Northerns occured at the tail end of the 1980s, when director Sirový returned to the (sub)genre one last time, with the film Cesta na jihozápad ("The Journey Southwest"). This particular film was also made with a somewhat younger audience in mind, in addition to an adult audience. The cast included a young Jiří Strach, who'd eventually go on to become a successful film director.

As far as I know, there haven't been serious attempts to produce a Czech or Slovak Western or Northern since then (aside from maybe the occassional fan film, but I don't have knowledge about that).

So there you go. No Spaghetti Westerns made in Czechoslovakia, but rather Vepřo-knedlo-zelo Northerns and Haluška Northerns. :D

In addition to the above films, Czechoslovakia also developed something of a niche film tradition of Easterns (central and eastern European history inspired Westerns). These were most commonly set in the early 20th century, during WWI or in the 1920s of the first Czechoslovak Republic. The Czechs specifically did a live-action film adaptation of Ivan Olbracht's novel Nikola Šuhaj Loupežník, a fictionalised account on the life and times of one notable outlaw in post-WWI Transcarpathian Ukraine. The Slovak part of the country tried their hand at different, usually original screenplays that fell within this genre or subgenre.

The Slovak result was what's still likely the best Eastern to come out of Czechoslovakia, the Martin Hollý directed Noční jazdci ("The Night Riders"). Set in the very early 1920s in a shifting Slovak-Polish borderland, it's a tale of a village in the throes of mass emigration (most often the US and Canada), a band of local horse smugglers, and a tiny garrison of Czechoslovak border guards and customs officers sent to keep the peace.

The period atmosphere and stylistics of Czechoslovak Easterns about WWI and the early post-WWI years were an influence on my Sparrow Avengers timeline. Both on the timeline's real events later in and after the timeline's more alternate WWI, as well as on the much greater and more mainstream popularity of the Eastern literary, film and TV genre in the popular culture of the timeline.

Last edited:

Petike

Kicked
346px-Carey_Mulligan_-_2018_%2845646489364%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Actress Carey Mulligan.

472px-Sophie%2C_Duchess_of_Hohenberg.jpg

A young duchess Sophie Chotek (Sophie of Hohenberg), future wife of archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Coincidence ? Or one of them is a time-travelling rascally lady ? You decide ! ;)

Last edited:

Petike

Kicked
@Petike I guess I could mention that in the early 1980's, Finland received an invitation to participate in the Interkosmos program as well.
Interesting, I don't think I've read about that up until now.

There was practically no interest, as doing so would have damaged the image of Finland as a neutral country and drained resources that could be spent on more practical test pilot activities, and the Soviets eventually dropped the matter.
I can imagine. Finlandization, as it was, was already fairly stifling in a number of areas.

As for who would have gone to space from Finland, I've read a few mentions of test pilot Jyrki Laukkanen being considered for the gig.
Very cool to know. :)

Interesting that there still has not been a Finnish astronaut/cosmonaut to date.
I find it equally funny that even Slovakia and all sorts of -stans and Caribbean countries have managed to achieve the bragging rights award of getting some of their citizens into space, while Finland has not. On the other hand, the Finnish way of doing things is to go about it slowly and patiently, with long-term results in mind.

Slovakia was one of those countries that really lucked out with its 1990s flight. InterCosmos had long since ceased to exist. Our deal with the Russians occured only because they owed us various things as compensation after the collapse of the USSR and the end of the Cold War.

If ESA's astronaut corps gradually expands in the future and ESA member states put more into themutual budget for manned spaceflight, I won't be at all shocked if we finally get a Finnish astronaut.

Coincidence ? Or one of them is a time-travelling rascally lady ? You decide ! ;)

Isn't there a meme about Keanu Reeves where there's a collage of a dozen or so historical portraits from various time periods, and all of which look strikingly similar to good ol' Keanu, implying that he must be some immortal demigod?

Yeah, this has the same energy as that.

Ireland Northerns and Czechoslovak Northerns and Easterns

What do Ireland and former Czechoslovakia have in common ? They've both produced television Westerns shot entirely on their home soil.

More specifically, in terms of setting, these were Northerns. Certainly more doable from a production perspective in a Czech, Slovak and Irish environment.

An_Klondike.jpg

An Klondike ("The Klondike") is a 2015-2017 TV series by Irish-language network TG4, about mostly Irish-born prospectors on the Yukon in the late 1800s. The entire series was filmed in County Connemara, with various local hills, mountains and moors as stand-in for the Yukon Territory.

If you think that's already fairly bold and fairly AH, wait until you notice an interesting fact: This is the first Irish and likely one of the first European historical TV series to feature authentic spoken Tlingit. Yes, they went to such lengths as to hire Canadian native actors for the native roles, and have the ones that represent the local Tlingit settlers speak their native Tlingit. Bet you'd never expect to hear such a very different language in an Irish TV series !

How's that for a Whisky Northern ? ;)

And what about Czechoslovakia ? Darn it, you city slicker, pull up a chair and listen to me spin ma' yarn. It's quite the tale...

The late 1950s saw the release of the affectionate parody Western, Limonádový Joe aneb Konská opera ("Lemonade Joe or The Horse Opera"). As you can guess from the title alone, the film poked good-natured fun at the various well-worn tropes about white hats (represented by the comically squeaky-clean heroic Lemonade Joe) and black hats, from the golden age of film Westerns that occured in previous decades. A comedy with decent production values and a genuine Western feel, but it wasn't really followed by any new forays into the genre.

For much of the 1960s, despite the ideologically and creatively more relaxed atmosphere, Czechoslovak film-makers kept passing the opportunity to create a more serious domestically produced Western. For a while, it seemed Czechoslovakia would never bother to dabble in the genre at all. Not even the more viable option of Northerns.

However, after 1968, Czech director Zdeněk Sirový almost single-handedly founded a proper Western tradition - or arguably Northern tradition - in Czech and Slovak films. (The irony is not lost on those who know that he focused on these partly due to tightening post-invasion censorship in other areas of film-making.)

Sirový went on to create a trilogy of shorter Northern films during the early 1970s, often with a Klondike Gold Rush theme, and often inspired by the short fiction of Jack London. This loose trilogy consisted of the films Kaňon samé zlato ("A Canyon Full of Gold"), Claim na Hluchém potoku ("The Claim at Deaf Creek") and Poslední výstrel Davida Sandela ("David Sandel's Last Shot").

The latter half of the 1970s saw the filming and 1977 saw the TV premiere of the primarily Slovak-produced Northern TV miniseries Útek zo zlatej krajiny ("Escape from the Golden Country"), once again inspired by the works of Jack London. One of the more ambitious adventure miniseries produced by Slovakia during the 1970s. Curiously, though the cast consisted overwhelmingly of Slovak actors, the main character was portrayed by Estonian actor Bruno O'Ya. (Another tidbit that seems like alternate history.)

The final hurrah of Czechoslovak-produced Northerns occured at the tail end of the 1980s, when director Sirový returned to the (sub)genre one last time, with the film Cesta na jihozápad ("The Journey Southwest"). This particular film was also made with a somewhat younger audience in mind, in addition to an adult audience. The cast included a young Jiří Strach, who'd eventually go on to become a successful film director.

As far as I know, there haven't been serious attempts to produce a Czech or Slovak Western or Northern since then (aside from maybe the occassional fan film, but I don't have knowledge about that).

So there you go. Vepřo-knedlo-zelo Northerns and Haluška Northerns. :D

In addition to the above films, Czechoslovakia also developed something of a niche film tradition of Easterns (central and eastern European history inspired Westerns). These were most commonly set in the early 20th century, during WWI or in the 1920s of the first Czechoslovak Republic. The Czechs specifically did a live-action film adaptation of Ivan Olbracht's novel Nikola Šuhaj Loupežník, a fictionalised account on the life and times of one notable outlaw in post-WWI Transcarpathian Ukraine. The Slovak part of the country tried their hand at different, usually original screenplays that fell within this genre or subgenre.

The Slovak result was what's still likely the best Eastern to come out of Czechoslovakia, the Martin Hollý directed Noční jazdci ("The Night Riders"). Set in the very early 1920s in a shifting Slovak-Polish borderland, it's a tale of a village in the throes of mass emigration, a band of local horse smugglers, and a tiny garrison of Czechoslovak border guards and customs officers sent to keep the peace.

The period atmosphere and stylistics of Czechoslovak Easterns about WWI and the early post-WWI years were an influence on my Sparrow Avengers timeline. Both on the timeline's real events later in and after the timeline's more alternate WWI, as well as on the much greater and more mainstream popularity of the Eastern literary, film and TV genre in the popular culture of the timeline.

There was also a minor fad of making Finnish "Westerns" in the 50s and 60s, often showing Lapland as a frontier akin to the Wild West. The best movie to come out of this phase in Finnish cinema, such as it was, is arguably Hirttämättömät (The Unhanged, 1971), a daft Western comedy with three idiots bungling about in a sand quarry posing as a desert. This should not be taken as an endorsement for the movie, but rather an indictment on the rest of the movies of this Finnish "genre".;)

Two outlaws, The Lonely Rider and the Indian Tonto, have caught (at least they think they have) Speedy Gonzales, a ruthless gunfighter from the town of Njietponimaistadi. They start to travel to another town for the reward, through the desert without water and fighting against Indians. And just to find out that they have made a full circle back to origin.

6.jpg

There was a plethora of Euro-Westerns in the 1960s. Most well-known are of course the Italian produced Spaghetti Westerns, but Spain did also produce a couple of Westerns nicknamed Paella Westerns. West Germany did as well, mostly based on works by German author Karl May, interestingly filmed on locations in Yugoslavia.

As in, Stephen I of Hungary. I repeat: Stephen I, the first king of Hungary, a.k.a. Saint Stephen the King. A Spanish-built church in a Keres-speaking pueblo, the oldest continuously inhabited pueblo and town in all of North America. With a Hungarian patron saint. Just... what ?!
The Spanish loved to appropriate foreign saints, you can e.g. find churches dedicated to Bohemian saint John of Nepomuk (San Juan Nepomuceno) all over the Spanish speaking world.

Deleted member 2186

799px-Aerial_View_of_Acoma_Sky_City.jpg

800px-Acoma_Pueblo_Sky_City_2.jpg

Acoma Pueblo in the state of New Mexico, not too far from Albuquerque, is the oldest continuously inhabited town and settlement in all of North America. By settlement, I don't mean a mere location that was inhabited for centuries, I mean a proper native town. It's also nicknamed the "Sky City", at least the overwhelming part of it on the well-defendable mesa you see in the first image. The local people knew where to fortify themselves from potential threats.

Acoma is one of a handful of really old, pre-Columbian towns that have stood the test of time and stand to this day. Even with later additions in mind, the oldest still standing architecture in the town is at least seven hundred or eight hundred years old, if not a bit more. Nothing to sneeze at. The pueblo is estimated to have originated by the early 12th century or so, at some point before or after 1100 AD, at the latest. Whereas many once great native cities of North America have vanished long ago, e.g. Cahokia in the northern United States, Acoma has never ceased to exist.

Depending on who you ask, archaeologists or local natives, the overall location on the mesa has been inhabited for nearly a thousand years, and not counting the settlement itself, the local area might be inhabited for as many as two thousand years. Regardless, the town exists since at least the 12th century.

All of that, while impressive, is not the really alternate history bit about Acoma Pueblo. The really peculiar bit is the patron saint of its church.

800px-St_Stephens_Church_at_Acoma_Pueblo.jpg

The adobe, pueblo-inspired church was built by the Spanish in the early 17th century, after they gained influence over this area.

The Church of Saint Stephen.

"Ah, Petike, Saint Stephen the early Christian martyr... Not that unusual. What's the fuss ?" you might ask yourself.

Well, the church is dedicated to Saint Stephen, but not the most famous one. It's dedicated to Saint Stephen the King.

San Estévan del Rey.

357px-Portrayal_of_Stephen_I%2C_King_of_Hungary_on_the_coronation_pall.jpg

So yes, Acoma Pueblo, the oldest continuously existing native town and overall town in North America, has a Spanish-built early modern church in adobe "Pueblo style", and the church has always been dedicated to one of the first saints of the Kingdom of Hungary, identical with the very first king of the Kingdom of Hungary. Very unusual connections. :)
The best place to go to when the zombies come.

The history of spaceflight is full of "What in the hell ?!" moments

Manned spaceflight curiosities:

You can't snore in microgravity, due to how it affects the tension in your inner neck tissues and muscles. You also can't burp the same way you do on Earth, due to a similar problem with parts of your digestive system. There is the possibility of the so-called "wet burp", but that's a bit tricky to achieve. On the upside, you can still... set your bodily gases at ease. :eek: ;)

The first meal ever eaten in space and orbit were two 160 g tubes of meat purée, consumed by Yuri Gagarin. He later followed them up by opening a tube of chocolate paste and digging in, the rascal... Poor German Titov was not only the second cosmonaut in orbit, but also the first human to get sick in the stomach in space and puke. :eek: Incidentally, Dennis Tito, a near-namesake, was one of the first space tourists, and ironically enough, also got a bit sick in the stomach from some dryed fruit he ate in orbit. Ouch ! :D

There's a nearly twenty year gap between the first female cosmonaut (Tereshkova, 1963) and the second one (Savitskaya, 1982). Savitskaya was also the first female to perform extravehicular activity. There have been roughly 59 female astronauts and cosmonauts to date.

Possibly the weirdest meat consumed in orbit to date was the moose jerky brought to the ISS by Swedish astronaut Christer Fuglesang. (He wanted to bring reindeer jerky at first, but NASA objected.) The first freshly made coffee in orbit was prepared for the first time in history... in March 2015. Samantha Cristoforetti was the first human and first female in history to taste this coffee. :D

Speaking of Sam, she's also only the second ESA female astronaut who flew on a mission, and the first one in nearly 20 years (since 1996). She and Yelena Serova have had been the first two female crew members of a long-term station mission that lived concurrently on the station for a prolonged period of time.

Helen Sharman. Where to even begin ? She was the first British astronaut, the first British female astronaut, the first and only British astronaut not to fly as part of an ESA mission but as a space tourist of sorts (in 1991 !), was the first European female astronaut from a country other than the USSR and only the third female astronaut from any nation. She was also a food technician by trade, and the two male semifinalists who didn't fly in the end were guys who had served in armed forces (unlike her, a civilian).

Helen and South Korea's Yi So-yeon are the only female national spaceflight pioneers to date. All others have been male.

The third nationality in space was... Czechoslovak. Vladimír Remek in 1978. Jim Lovell is of partial Czech descent, Eugene Cernan is of even more immediate Slovak and Moravian descent. Ergo, the guy who flew both on Apollo 8 and Apollo 13, but never landed on the Moon, and the guy who led the longest, most complex and final mission to the lunar surface so far, have some ancestry that goes back to Czechia and Slovakia. Also, the well-known Czech cartoon character Krtek got a ride to the ISS and back during the last shuttle mission ever. If someone wrote this into a TL mimicing OTL, AH.com would be yelling ASB, ASB. :D

Speaking of famous relatives, astronaut Owen Garriot was a crew member of one of the Skylab missions in the 1970s. Cue some three decades later and his son Richard Garriot (an uncanny family resemblance) became one of the first space tourists. Yeah, the guy behind the creation of the Ultima game series, etc. If someone from an ATL wrote that into his TL, people would call even more bullshit on the entire scenario. :p It gets even weirder when you realise Richard is technically British-born, though culturally an American. Speaking of unlikely space tourists, Sarah Brightman, of all people, is set to become one soon.

Due to the Intercosmos programme of the East Block and their allies, countries like Czechoslovakia, Cuba, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Vietnam and Mongolia got their first astronauts sooner (sometimes much sooner) than the likes of France, Germany, Italy, UK, Switzerland, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Japan, Brazil, and perhaps most notoriously, China. If someone came to an ATL and claimed that Japan, Vietnam and Mongolia got astronauts sooner than China, everyone would bring up the ASB accusations again.

The first Slovak astronaut, Ivan Bella, flew before the first Brazilian, Swedish, and upcoming first Danish astronaut. Bella was also among the last foreign guest astronauts on the Mir space station.

Timothy Peake, after about three or four other British-born or UK-affiliated astronauts, is set to become the first British astronaut serving directly under ESA.

Belgium, despite its tiny size and jokes at the expense of its size, has already had two ESA astronauts to date.

The first spacewalk by a non-American and non-Soviet astronaut was by ESA astronaut Jean-Loup Chrétien in December 1988.

The fact that the first Dutch astronaut and first German astronaut had the rather unusual names of Wubbo Ockels and Ulf Merbold. Also, Samantha probably isn't the type of name you'd expect from the first Italian female astronaut. :p All three sound like choices made by the producers of some spaceflight-themed anime that can't be bothered to do some research into more stereotypical national names. :D ;)

Among later unusual primacies in terms of nationality, the first Indian female, first Peruvian, Iranian and Costa Rican in space were naturalised Americans. :D :cool:

The Soyuz as a basic shape and design has been in service for almost 60 years now, even though the earliest Soyuz and the current models have only the most basic things in common by this point. The Soyuz is the Doctor Who or Star Trek of human spacecraft. Thank you, Mr. Korolev ! :cool:

If someone had told the public or SF writers just a few years ago that the propulsion module of the Orion spacecraft would be based mostly on a propulsion module originally developed by ESA, they would probably snigger dismissively. The successes of SpaceX in the last few years might also make some people unfamiliar with the past fifteen years of OTL shout "Unlikely !".

Oh, and about the Orion capsule... There's the fact that in December 2014, it became the first human spacecraft since 1972 to venture beyond the usual orbits around Earth. Sort of sobering, depressing and encouraging at the same time. (Here's my own screenshot from the live broadcast of the Orion's footage.)

There is already a human being buried on a different celestial body, our own Moon. :eek: That human is the late astronomer Gene Shoemaker. :cool: Part of the dust from his cremation was scattered on the surface of the Moon when the probe Lunar Prospector finished its lunar mission in the late 1990s by impacting into the surface.

There's also a symbolic cemetary to astronauts on the Moon. Erected by an Apollo crew, it features a figure of an astronaut lying face down, and a mini-tombstone plaque in front of him, inscribed with the names of all Soviet and American astronauts that had perished in the line of duty up until that point in history.

Also, Alan Shepard peed in his diapers before his historic Freedom 7 take-off and flight and later, as commander of Apollo 14, played golf on the Moon. You just can't make stuff like this up ! :D

Unmanned spaceflight curiosities:

The first photos of the dark side of the Moon were taken by a Soviet Luna probe already in 1959 ! :eek:

Mariner 2 was the first spacecraft to perform a flyby of a different planet, in this case Venus. Venera 1 nearly beat it to it, but an in-flight malfunction nixed that. Mariner 1 was blown up on the pad due to a booster malfunction and had to be replaced by Mariner 2.

The Soviets became the leaders in Venusian exploration and Venera 13 is the longest lander ever to have lasted on the surface of Venus - something over two hours. No mean feat.

The largest unmanned and mobile vehicle we've landed on an alien world is the size of a small family car. We did this with early 2010s technology. I'm referring to Curiosity.

There had been no major successful Mars probe missions between 1976 and 1996, then they suddenly started to stack up quickly. Also, Mercury had to wait nearly 40 years for a second probe mission, and to date, only Mariner 10 and MESSENGER had visited it. Ceres was first visited only in the mid-2010s and Pluto finally received a successful flyby in early July 2015.

ESA has already landed a probe on the only moon with a thick atmosphere in the Solar System, Saturn's Titan, as well as landed a probe on a moving, rotating comet. However, to date, they have not landed a probe on the Moon, Mars or Venus. Try to write this into any spaceflight TL while inhabiting an ATL and people will call it far-fetched.

Beagle 2, the lander of Mars Express and ESA's first semi-serious attempt at landing something on Mars, was found just a few months ago, more than a decade after its disappearance. Just... what ?!

Plucky little Giotto approaching Halley's Comet as close as it did already in 1986 and taking snapshots and readings. Based on ESA's state at the time, if someone wrote in this success into his TL, everyone would be yelling "ESA-wank".

The MESSENGER probe had finished its mission and impacted into the surface of Mercury in the mid-2010s. Yes, we have crashed a spacecraft into every single larger body of the inner Solar System - all four planets, and our Moon, the fifth largest object.

Thirteen years before Philae landed on comet 67P, the asteroid probe NEAR (incidentally, later dedicated to Gene Shoemaker) had landed on the irregularly shaped asteroid Eros. This is despite the fact that it was never built with a landing manuever in mind. I remember that when I heard the news back in the day, even my younger mind just went "Whoa !!! We, as a species, did what ?! Cool !".

The Hubble Space Telescope has been in continuous operation for a quarter century now, also counting several upgrades. The Mars Global Surveyor probe has been orbiting and surveying Mars long enough for someone to reach adulthood and be elligible to vote.

The fact that the Voyager probes had been as successful as they were, despite all the odds, and that at least one of them has been confirmed to be in open interstellar space at this point. The mind just boggles.

Also, the fact that Sagan convinced NASA to have a Voyager take that iconic distant snapshot of Earth. Inspirational and thought-provoking stuff, certainly. But moreover: If he hadn't coined the term "Pale Blue Dot", Alex Gerst's 2014-2015 mission on the ISS would have been called something completely different.

(I originally did this post in 2015. No doubt there've been more unusual firsts since then.)
Ulf Merbold was the first WEST-German in space. GDR-Kosmonaut Sigmund Jähn was the first German.

Ulf Merbold was the first WEST-German in space. GDR-Kosmonaut Sigmund Jähn was the first German.

In the movie Goodbye Lenin, set in the days of the German unification at the end of the Cold War, the protagonist creates a pretend reality for his bedridden mother, a world where East Germany absorbs West Germany to build a united German state, and Sigmund Jähn becomes the leader of this new greater GDR. Sometime, it would be interesting to see someone try a semi-realistic TL with the same premise...

So yes, Acoma Pueblo, the oldest continuously existing native town and overall town in North America, has a Spanish-built early modern church in adobe "Pueblo style", and the church has always been dedicated to one of the first saints of the Kingdom of Hungary, identical with the very first king of the Kingdom of Hungary. Very unusual connections
The World is full of curiosities and miracles😁
I originally did this post in 2015. No doubt there've been more unusual firsts since then.)
This list is already amazing🤗
Canadian native actors for the native roles, and have the ones that represent the local Tlingit settlers speak their native Tlingit. Bet you'd never expect to hear such a very different language in an Irish TV series !

How's that for a Whisky Northern
That is pure dedication. So fantastic.
well as on the much greater and more mainstream popularity of the Eastern literary, film and TV genre in the popular culture of the timeline.
The Eastern Middle European and Eastern European history is not enough known and spoken about in the Western European parts, it is really a shame.

----------------------
A fantastic thread.

Petike

Kicked
Of Bike Pedals and Improved Icarian Wings

Henry Kremmer, the United Kingdom, 1959: "Hm, how about a prize for the first person to develop the first fully controllable entirely man-powered aircraft ? Entirely man-powered. Man-powered aircraft, MPA. Yes, I think I'll do just that ! I hereby declare the Kremer Prize !"

Naysayers in the UK and the world: "Mr. Kremer, this has got to be the dumbest, silliest idea ever. You should contribute to real science !"

Kremer: "Oh, pish posh... The Kremer Prize is afoot, gents !"

University of Southhampton students, 1961: "Mr. Kremer, look ! Our SUMPAC can just about take off ! Smashing, isn't it, old chap !"

Kremer: "Wonderful ! Buuut it doesn't quite fulfill the rules of my challenge. Keep trying."

Japanese students, early 1970s: "Hey, look, Kremersan ! Our plane, the NM-75 Stork, managed to fly for hundreds of meters in a straight line !"

Kremer: "This is marvelous ! Eh, but it still doesn't entirely meet the necessary criteria. Still, keep at it, you might be onto something..."

Paul MacCready and team (reading about the Kremer Prize in the 1970s): "Okay, let's try this... We gotta make this thing really, really light."

Naysayers: "See ! We told you ! MPAs are barely possible ! The Kremer Prize will never be broken !"

Paul MacCready: "Hold our beers..."

613px-Gossamer_Condor_-_NARA_-_17497964_%28cropped%29.jpg

On the 23 August 1977, the Gossamer Condor became the first entirely human-powered plane to meet the challenge.

Less than twenty years after Henry Kremer declared the Kremer Prize, the team behind the Gossamer Condor won it.

On a sidenote, this "foolish endeavour" resulted in the short documentary you see above. It won an Academy Award in the late 1970s. ;)

Henry Kremer: "Such an impressive effort ! But I have a new challenge... Try to build a man-powered aircraft capable of crossing the English Channel."

Naysayers: "Ha ! This is where it ends ! Crossing the English Channel ? Ludicruous fantasy. You're not some new Wright Brothers..."

599px-Gossamer_Albatross_II_cabin.jpg

MacCready and team: "Challenge accepted. We've got the feeling we need to make this one even lighter."

Naysayers: "You are attempting the physically impossible ! He'll crash after half a mile !"

Bryan Allen, 12 June 1979, Folkeston, UK, early in the morning: "Man, this is gonna suck for my legs... Okay, let's go."

Allen lands the Gossamer Albatross safely on the French coast, in a good mood but tired.

Henry Kremer to MacCready: "Wonderful work ! Amazing ! Here's your prize."

MacCready: "Thank you. We'll invest this in my aviation company."

Naysayers (grumbling): "Rassum-brassum-tassum..."

MacCready: "Hey, gang, how about one more trip over the English Channel ? From England to France. On a solar-powered plane !"

Team: "Hm, interesting !"

MacCready: "To make things a little more difficult and a little more interesting, it has to be powered directly by the solar panels. No batteries."

Team: "Directly ?! Hm. Okay..."

Naysayers: "You only got lucky ! That solar contraption will never even take off ! The technology is not yet there ! Stop dreaming !"

Solar_Challenger_drawing.jpg

The Solar Challenger lands safely in England on the 1 November 1980, after a 262 kilometer flight. ;)

MacCready: "Yeah, that was fun, but me and the team need to move onto other projects at AeroVironment. Good luck to any followers."

MIT team: "Mr. MacCready, can we keep tinkering at the concepts you and your team have explored ?"

MacCready: "Sure thing. Good luck."

MIT team: "We're going to build an MPA inspired by Daedalos and Icarus. And it will make it from Crete to Thera/Santorini ! Yeah !"

Naysayers: "Interest by researchers at MIT ? Pah, big deal ! The English Channel is one thing, but the Mediterranean ?! Keep dreamin' on... This is the 80s, maaan. Cynicism, greed, nihilism..."

MIT team: "Yay, look, Lois is testing out the Light Eagle ! Pretty cool, huh ?"

McCallin: "Wee, this is fun !"

MIT team: "Okay, Glenn, now it's your turn !"

608px-Daedalus-human-powered-aircraft.jpg

Glenn Tremml flying the Light Eagle in 1988. Improving upon MacCready's Gossamer series concepts.

MIT team: "Okay, seems to be working great. We hired a Greek sports cyclist. Off we go to Crete !"

Naysayers: "Laughable nonsense..."

MIT team: "Weather's good, we're good to go. Daedalus, take off ! Next stop: Santorini !"

Seabirds: "What is that ?!"

The laws of physics: "What... the... hell ?!"

Naysayers: "..."

MIT team: "That was great ! :)"

The MIT Daedalus still holds one of the world records for the longest flight of a man-powered aircraft. It flew from Crete to Santorini, for over a hundred kilometers, without a single in-flight problem.

Naysayers: "Yeah, yeah, it's all great and cute and all... But all this research into light-weight materials and bike-planes and solar planes will never amount to anything ! Never. Amount. To anything."

Bertrand Piccard, the 2000s: "Hey, André, the balloon adventure thing I took part in a few years ago was really cool, but I've been thinking... Could you circumnavigate the world in a wholly solar-powered plane ?"

André Borschberg (looking through a library): "Hm... Bert, have you heard of this guy called MacCready ? The Solar Challenger from the early 1980s, does it ring a bell ?"

640px-Solar_Impulse_SI2_pilote_Bertrand_Piccard_Payerne_November_2014.jpg

Bertrand: "Let's build a solar-powered plane and let's call it Solar Impulse ! We'll fly around the world in that puppy."

André: "LOL. Okay ! Challenge accepted."

André Borschberg and Betrand Piccard (gradually circumnavigating the world): "Whoo-hoo ! What a plane !"

Bertrand: "Oh look, we flew for 4 days, 21 hours and 51 minutes without a single landing ! Oh, snap, I suppose there is something to solar-powered planes, am I right ? Am I right ? ;)"

Naysayers (sighing): "We hate being wrong..."

----

Scientific advances happen in numerous ways, and one way is the accumulation of knowledge, experimentation and willingness to innovate, over the course of several generations. Many advances exist only because newer innovators stood on the shoulders of previous innovators. Their ideas or their courage to innovate doesn't spring up from a vaccum.

I maintain that there wouldn't have been a Solar Impulse making the headlines in the 2010s, had there been no Kremer Prize declared in the late 1950s.

This just goes to show that causality is not merely a thing we have to pay attention to when writing alternate history. It's a thing throughout real history and leaves behind impacts. Not only negative ones, but also ones that make you stop and consider our world from a less limited perspective.

Last edited:
This just goes to show that causality is not merely a thing we have to pay attention to when writing alternate history. It's a thing throughout real history and leaves behind impacts. Not only negative ones, but also ones that make you stop and consider our world from a less limited perspective.
Such wise and true words should always be remembered.

Petike

Kicked
Such wise and true words should always be remembered.
To quote Bertrand Piccard: "Exploration is not only when your are successful and raise the flag of victory. It's through all these moments where you have the impression to lose control."

On a sidenote, the fictional captain Jean-Luc Picard of Star Trek is meant to be a distant descendant of the real world Swiss Piccards. ;)

There was also a minor fad of making Finnish "Westerns" in the 50s and 60s, often showing Lapland as a frontier akin to the Wild West. The best movie to come out of this phase in Finnish cinema, such as it was, is arguably Hirttämättömät (The Unhanged, 1971), a daft Western comedy with three idiots bungling about in a sand quarry posing as a desert. This should not be taken as an endorsement for the movie, but rather an indictment on the rest of the movies of this Finnish "genre".;)
Love it. :) I love learning about obscure Westerns made by various countries.

There was a plethora of Euro-Westerns in the 1960s. Most well-known are of course the Italian produced Spaghetti Westerns, but Spain did also produce a couple of Westerns nicknamed Paella Westerns. West Germany did as well, mostly based on works by German author Karl May, interestingly filmed on locations in Yugoslavia.
As if I didn't know. The Italian and German Westerns are widely recognized, even the East German ones. But I like reading about efforts by other countries as well.

The Spanish loved to appropriate foreign saints, you can e.g. find churches dedicated to Bohemian saint John of Nepomuk (San Juan Nepomuceno) all over the Spanish speaking world.
I'm not sure I knew about this, thank you for sharing ! :cool:

The best place to go to when the zombies come.
Pssst, guys, guys... The undead... aren't real. Sorry to break this to you, but outside of fantasy and video games... the undead are not real. :p ;)

Yes, that's the most accurate.

In the movie Goodbye Lenin, set in the days of the German unification at the end of the Cold War, the protagonist creates a pretend reality for his bedridden mother, a world where East Germany absorbs West Germany to build a united German state, and Sigmund Jähn becomes the leader of this new greater GDR. Sometime, it would be interesting to see someone try a semi-realistic TL with the same premise...
A bit of an obvious choice, but his mother being the GDR patriot she is in that film, she probably took that hook, line and sinker.

A fantastic thread.
Thank you.

Last edited: