Post here historical leaders who were of an ethnic minority (or foreign ethnic group) from the country that they ruled over.

I am not really sure on which subforum I am supposed to post this in, and also sorry for the confusing title because my inner ESL is kicking in, I am having some difficulties in describing what I have in mind, but anyways, I want to look for examples of important historical figures who were important leaders, sometimes even national heroes of countries, but they were from a different ethnic group that was either a minority in that country, or outright foreign, I will also post their "original" names on their native language in parenthesis, if these are available or needed.

I may or may not edit this list as users keep posting recommendations, since I want to make this a comprehensive list right on the first page for convenience.

In this list, I do not plan to count:
  • People from "Conquest dynasties", like the Hellenistic kingdoms, the non-Han dynasties of China, etc.
  • People from countries that are extremely diverse and at least de-jure do not have a single dominant ethnic group that outnumbers all the others.
  • Countries where having leaders and national figures of various different ethnic groups was never a big deal to begin with (i.e. India, Pakistan, Nigeria, pretty much all countries in the Americas, etc.)
But for the sake of learning new stuff, you can cite people that you think are interesting nonetheless, as long as these examples do not clutter the main topic this thread.

Overall I am mostly searching for historical and modern examples of people who have little to not "native blood" of the country that they are a leader of, I was thinking of not counting people who have a single parent that is not from their country's native ethnic group(s), making them half-blooded, because there are plenty of these individuals, but I might make an exception for convenience, so if you want to post examples, then go on, for example, Anwar Sadat (Egypt) was of mixed Sudanese/Egyptian heritage, and Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (Iran) is half-Azeri half-Persian.

Either way, some examples to start the list and discussion:

Most of Europe's royal dynasties:
  • The British, Belgian, Danish, Norwegian, Russian, Romanian, Bulgarian, and Greek royal families were/are German (let's get the German monarchs out of the way of this topic)
First French Empire:
  • Napoleon Bonaparte (Napulione Buonaparte) was Corsican and Italian
Russian Empire:
  • Abram Petrovich Gannibal was Sub-Saharan African (it is debated if he came from what is now modern-day Cameroon, Nigeria, Chad or Ethiopia and Eritrea), he was also the great-grandfather of Alexander Pushkin.
  • Ivan Abramovich Gannibal was Sub-Saharan African, Swedish, and German (son of Abram Gannibal above)
  • Mikhail Bogdanovich Barklayi de Tolli (Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly) was Baltic German and Scottish
  • Leonty Leontyevich von Bennigsen (Levin August von Bennigsen) was Baltic German
  • Pyotr Ivanovich Bagration (Petre Bagrationi) was Georgian
  • Roman von Ungern-Sternberg (Nikolai Robert Maximilian Freiherr von Ungern-Sternberg) was Baltic German and Hungarian (possibly Estonian heritage as well, he also claimed to be a descendant of Genghis Khan)
Soviet Union:
  • Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov) was part-Kalmyk Mongol part-German part-Swedish
  • Joseph Vissarianovich Stalin (Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili) was Georgian
  • Konstantin Konstantinovich Rokossovsky (Konstanty Konstantynowicz Rokossowski) was Polish
  • Ivan Bagramyan (Hovhannes Kristapvori Baghramyan) was Armenian
  • Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria was Georgian and Mingrelian
Nazi Germany:
  • Baldur von Schirach was Sorb (note: Nazis did not considered Sorbs to be Slavs, although Sorb culture was to be eradicated and Sorbs fully Germanized)
Francoist Spain:
  • Francisco Franco was Galician
Finland:
  • Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim was Swedish (but also of German origin)
Apartheid South Africa:
  • Hendrik Verwoerd was Dutch
Portuguese Empire/Brazilian Empire:
  • José de Anchieta (his name is the same, but in Portuguese José is pronounced as "Djusé" instead of "Hoe-zeh" like in Spanish) was Spanish and Basque
Spanish Empire:
  • Ferdinand Magellan (Fernão de Magalhães) was Portuguese

Last edited:
Most of Europe's royal dynasties:
  • The British, Belgian, Danish, Norwegian, Russian, Romanian, Bulgarian, and Greek royal families were/are German (let's get the German monarchs out of the way of this topic)

Very true. Almost non one European royal family (either current or former) is not native on their country.

Russian Empire:
  • Abram Petrovich Gannibal was Sub-Saharan African (it is debated if he came from what is now modern-day Cameroon, Nigeria, Chad or Ethiopia and Eritrea), he was also the great-grandfather of Alexander Pushkin.
  • Ivan Abramovich Gannibal was Sub-Saharan African, Swedish, and German (son of Abram Gannibal above)

I know that you didn't mean that but when you go very very far back to the past, everyone have ancestry in Africa :p.

• Mikhail Bogdanovich Barklayi de Tolli (Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly) was Baltic German and Scottish
  • Leonty Leontyevich von Bennigsen (Levin August von Bennigsen) was Baltic German
  • Pyotr Ivanovich Bagration (Petre Bagrationi) was Georgian
  • Roman von Ungern-Sternberg (Nikolai Robert Maximilian Freiherr von Ungern-Sternberg) was Baltic German and Hungarian (possibly Estonian heritage as well, he also claimed to be a descendant of Genghis Khan)

And many Russian nobilities like Yusupovs had Tatar/Mongol ancestry. Some of the were even descendants of Astrakhan/Kazan royals who later adopted Christianity and russificated themselves.

Finland:
  • Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim was Swedish (but also of German origin)

And continuing with Finnish presidents: Pehr Evind Svinhufvud had Swedish ancestry. Martti Ahtisaari has Norweigian ancestry.

Apartheid South Africa:
  • Hendrik Verwoerd was Dutch

Pretty much most of Apartheid leadership had Dutch roots I guess.

The Al-Assad family is part of the Alawite comunity.

Alawites consider themselves a separate ethnic-religious group from other Muslims, while rappresenting more or less 11% of the Syrian population

Sticking to post-1900 per the forum...

British prime ministers:

David Lloyd George was Welsh.

Andrew Bonar Law was Canadian.

David Cameron was Scots.

Rishi Sunak is Indian.

Others:

German chancellor Adolph Hitler was Austrian.

Trans-Jordan Emir Abdullah was Hejazi.

Leo Varadkar (Indian on the paternal side).

PS: I thought of Fidel V. Ramos for this thread, but since it's about ethnic minority, well...

Sticking to post-1900 per the forum...

British prime ministers:

David Lloyd George was Welsh.

Andrew Bonar Law was Canadian.

David Cameron was Scots.

Rishi Sunak is Indian.

Others:

German chancellor Adolph Hitler was Austrian.

Trans-Jordan Emir Abdullah was Hejazi.
Well considering the fact that Hitler wanted to “unify all Germans”, him being Austrian German isn’t that big of a difference. Now we can just add “Austrian” to the “titles” (such as Austrian Painter Funny Mustache Man, etc.) that we give him. Out of all of these, Rishi Sunak being Indian is probably the most significant one.

Last edited:
Russian Empire:

Simeon Bekbulatovich (born Sain-bulat) was a Tatar/Mongol statesman in the Russian Empire who even briefly served as the ruler of Russia. Though really just as a proxy for Ivan IV in one of Ivan's convoluted political manuevers.

Sweden:

Charles XIV John of Sweden (born Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte) was a French Marshal who became King of Sweden. Unlike other dynasties created from Napoleon's family and marshals, the Bernadotte dynasty stuck and is the current royal house of Sweden.

Hungary:

Ferenc Szalazi, Hungarian fascist politician and "Nation-Leader" for half a year under German overlordship. He was of...err...Armenian, German, Slovak and Hungarian(25%) ancestry.

Spain
Pascual Madoz, from Navarre, prime minister from September 30-October 3, 1868
Juan Prim, from Catalonia, prime minister from June 18, 1869-December 27, 1870
Estanislao Figueras, from Catalonia, prime minister from February 12-June 11, 1873
Francisco Pi y Margall, from Catalonia, prime minister from June 11-July 18, 1873
Antonio Maura, from the Ballearic Islands, prime minister from Dec 5 1903-Dec 16 1904 / Jan 25 1907-Oct 21 1909 / Mar 22 1918-Nov. 9 1918 / Apr 15 1919-July 20 1919 / Aug 14 1921-Mar 8 1922
José Canalejas, from Galicia, prime minister from Feb 9, 1910-Nov. 12, 1912
Manuel Portela, from Galicia, prime minister from Dec 14, 1935-Feb 19, 1936
Santiago Casares , from Galicia, prime minister from May 13-July 18, 1936

Then, Franco

Then, Mariano Rajoy, from Galicia, prime minister from December 21, 2011-June 2, 2018

Alberto Fujimori
Yeah, and Pablo Kuczynski is of German Jewish and French heritage, but I don't really like citing examples of new world countries, since they're all settler states made up of immigrants, I'm Brazilian and I have around 8 ethnic groups in my ancestry that I was able to track down, probably more that have been lost to history.

I also do not like examples of "conquest dynasties", or else every single official of the Yuan and Qing dynasties would have to be cited in here.
How is this Alt History though?
Well, it isn't, just like this one.

Brazilian president Juscelino Kubitschek was of Czech family. The Brazilian dictator Emilio Medici literally was a member of the Medici Italian royal family.

The Duke of Wellington was Irish, at a time when the Irish people were legally disenfranchised. However, as part of the "Protestant Ascendancy", he was more an Englishman who happened to be born and raised in Ireland. Before the Act of Union he was an MP in the Irish parliament, which was pretty much just English and Scottish landowners deciding how best to rule over the Irish.

He changed his name to be less Irish once he entered the army as well.

Also Winston Churchill was half-American and lived in the US for a significant portion of his life as well, if that counts.

Hafez al-Asad was an Alawite
In the words of a historian, an Alawite becoming Syrian leader is like a Dalit becoming leader of India

That I can think of off hand that haven't been mentioned

Soviet Union
Leonid Brezhnev - Ukrainian
Gorby - half Ukrainian
Gromyko - Belarusian

Modern Russia
Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov - Half Jewish
Dmirty Medvedev - Half Ukrainian

Iran
Ayatollah Khamenei -Half Azeri

Uk:
-Benjamin Disraeli - Sephardic Jewish origin