Prussia gains all of Saxony at the congress of Vienna

As far as I know, Prussias goal was to get the whole of Saxony, and the Russians agreed with that, given that the King of Saxony supported Napoleon the longest time of all its German puppets. I think the question was also closely related to Poland, since the king of Saxony was also the Grandduke of Warsaw? I have a book that says the Polish-Saxon question nearly led to war between Prussia-Russia on one side and AH and GB on the other.

Nevertheless: the Prussians wanted Saxony and got the Rhineland instead. As was stated above, the Rhineland was economically inferior to Saxony, it was catholic and more liberal, and it was territorially separated from Prussia. Obviously, Saxony would be by far more valuable for Prussia.

In the long-term effects, the Prussian Rhineland let Prussia grow INTO Germany. If the Rhineland became some independent states, we had three clearly separated blocks in Germany: AH in South-east, Prussia in the East and the smaller states in the West. IOTL, German unification couldn't happen without Prussia due to the territorial facts. ITTL, we could see a united Germany of the smaller, more liberal states of the West.