Queen Mary's six husbands: Henry VIII dies in 1516, how could Mary Tudor end up having six husbands?

If the marriage was unconsumated, was it legal? And if no, then would Henry still be counted in posterity as a king? Or be posthomously removed, and not even count as Mary's first husband?
I personally think he would still be counted - we count Isabella of France (wife of Richard ii) as a queen even though she never consummated her marriage

SO I have a question to you folks.

Suppose Mary married Henry Brandon and Henry was proclaimed King Henry IX through Jure Uxoris. They're both children and if Henry died like IOTL, the marriage would remain unconsumated. If the marriage was unconsumated, was it legal? And if no, then would Henry still be counted in posterity as a king? Or be posthomously removed, and not even count as Mary's first husband?
it depends on whether he was acclaimed king, for example if parliament approved Henry Brandon's accession to the throne as King Jure Uxoris, causing all documents to be signed in the name of "Queen Mary and King Henry IX" then when he died , even though it was an unconsummated marriage then he would be remembered as king posthumously. If not he would be remembered as the queen's spouse but not the king, but why would Mary and Henry get married so soon?

it depends on whether he was acclaimed king, for example if parliament approved Henry Brandon's accession to the throne as King Jure Uxoris, causing all documents to be signed in the name of "Queen Mary and King Henry IX" then when he died , even though it was an unconsummated marriage then he would be remembered as king posthumously. If not he would be remembered as the queen's spouse but not the king, but why would Mary and Henry get married so soon?
Probably so that there is less issue with Henry being called king tbh - I can’t see Suffolk not wanting his son to have every privilege that would be due to him

Suppose Mary married Henry Brandon and Henry was proclaimed King Henry IX through Jure Uxoris. They're both children and if Henry died like IOTL, the marriage would remain unconsumated. If the marriage was unconsumated, was it legal? And if no, then would Henry still be counted in posterity as a king? Or be posthomously removed, and not even count as Mary's first husband?
If he died so soon he would certainly be rarely remembered as one of her husbands, then we could have those historical curiosities videos of "Did you know that Queen Mary actually had seven husbands!!! Meet Henry Brandon, the Queen's forgotten husband "

Last edited:
If he died so soon he would certainly be rarely remembered as one of her husbands, then we could have those historical curiosities videos of "Did you know that Queen Mary actually had seven husbands!!! Meet Henry Brandon, the Queen's forgotten husband "
What would be even more hilarious if her fifth husband turns out to be Henry Brandon, born in 1523

Last edited:
I imagine he would be called Charles ITTL, if he is still born (and as a male)
So the succession of the consrote kings would be like this:
King Consort Henry IX (1518 - 1522) (Henry Brandon, Earl of Lincoln)
King Consort James I (1528-1535) (James V of Scotland)
King Consort John II (1536-1537) (Hans, Prince of Denmark)
King Consort Edward VI (1538-1545) (Duarte, Duke of Guimarães)
King Consort Charles I (1547-1558) (Charles V, Holy Roman Empress)
King Consort Henry X (1560-1572) (Henry Brandon)
King Consort Thomas I (1574-1588) (Thomas Howard

So the succession of the consrote kings would be like this:
King Consort Henry IX (1518 - 1522) (Henry Brandon, Earl of Lincoln)
King Consort James I (1528-1535) (James V of Scotland)
King Consort John II (1536-1537) (Hans, Prince of Denmark)
King Consort Edward VI (1538-1545) (Duarte, Duke of Guimarães)
King Consort Charles I (1547-1558) (Charles V, Holy Roman Empress)
King Consort Henry X (1560-1572) (Henry Brandon)
King Consort Thomas I (1574-1588) (Thomas Howard
If I may, you should include the younger Henry Brandon among the six and Mary would not remarry in her late sixties (really I don’t think she would remarry after 1558 because she’s almost certainly postmenopausal by then)

If I may, you should include the younger Henry Brandon among the six and Mary would not remarry in her late sixties (really I don’t think she would remarry after 1558 because she’s almost certainly postmenopausal by then)
right, does it make sense for Henry X to survive Mary then?
(Also, I think Henry IX would hardly be remembered as one of Mary's husbands however, being a boy who died at age six though it would certainly be funny if the TTL version of SIX had a little boy in the middle of the show)

Not sure if he would be proclaimed King BEFORE actually consummating the wedding… for me both Mary’s first and second husband were counted as her husbands but NOT as Kings as they actually had not be given the title (but were intended to receive it after consummation… see that a result of the rivalry between Suffolk and Norfolk)