Ramadan Rising

What if there were something comparable to the 1916 Easter Rising in Britain or France? How would public opinion react to troops in action in a western european city with, of course, the inevitable civilian casualties?

Keenir

Banned
What if there were something comparable to the 1916 Easter Rising in Britain or France? How would public opinion react to troops in action in a western european city with, of course, the inevitable civilian casualties?

and when would this be taking place?

and when would this be taking place?
I would suppose it would have to be rather recent, or preferably FH- otherwise, are there really enough Muslims in Britain or France to do this? (Well, since Algeria was technically an integral part of France... but other than that)

Ramadan disaster...

A "Ramadan Rising" would, IMHO, have very little in common with the Easter Rising of 1916.
In 1916, although only a minority supported the Rising, the brutal treatment of the rebels generated widespread sympathy for them, among a population that was of the same ethnic and religious group as the rebels--mainly Irish Catholic.
By comparison, any Ramadan Rising would be in the midst of a population that is not of the same cultural and religious group, and is already widely distrusted by the European majority.
Furthermore, I suspect that any Ramadan Rising would involve hoistage taking, and terrorism against the general population. The casualties would be blamed almost entirely on the terrorists.
In short, Easter 1916 and its consequences generated sympathy among the general population, whereas the general population that would be sympathetic to the Ramadan Rising would be thousands of miles away.
I would expect the middle east to get even more violent, and for Moslems in Europe and the USA to find themselves even more distrusted than before.

Turkestan rising 1916

Well, in 1916 there actually was a Muslim rising in Central Asia against the Russian colonialists, which was very brutally suppressed and left parts of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan completely depopulated and arid.

Keenir

Banned
A "Ramadan Rising" would, IMHO, have very little in common with the Easter Rising of 1916.
In 1916, although only a minority supported the Rising, the brutal treatment of the rebels generated widespread sympathy for them, among a population that was of the same ethnic and religious group as the rebels--mainly Irish Catholic.
By comparison, any Ramadan Rising would be in the midst of a population that is not of the same cultural and religious group, and is already widely distrusted by the European majority.
Furthermore, I suspect that any Ramadan Rising would involve hoistage taking, and terrorism against the general population. The casualties would be blamed almost entirely on the terrorists.
In short, Easter 1916 and its consequences generated sympathy among the general population, whereas the general population that would be sympathetic to the Ramadan Rising would be thousands of miles away.
I would expect the middle east to get even more violent, and for Moslems in Europe and the USA to find themselves even more distrusted than before.

why do you say that?

how much anti-Muslim feeling was generated by the 1925 Uprising in eastern Turkey?

any Ramadan Uprising would take place in a nation - and probably would be an uprising against Muslims of a different denomination.

why do you say that?

how much anti-Muslim feeling was generated by the 1925 Uprising in eastern Turkey?

any Ramadan Uprising would take place in a nation - and probably would be an uprising against Muslims of a different denomination.

I say that because the poster specifficly asked about a rising in Britain or France, and I have a hard time envisioning a significant rising that doesn't entail non-Muslim civilian casualties--possibly lots of them.

Any sort of large scale insurrection with civilian casualties, in this time when so many simnply see "Muslim," and think "terrorist," regardless of the actualities, will , IMVHO, intensify these fears.

It would be all the worse if some used official positions of trust, such as being in the French or British army, police force, or such, to make it happen.