"Sanity options" 2.0 - RAF, 1935-43

Ramontxo

Donor
"How fast they fly" is certainly the question, and a crucial one. The faster the aircraft, the less chances for the defender (both the fighters and Flak) is to shot it down.
Dive speed was kept in check by using the aerodynamic brakes, like the dive brakes, or by extending the undercarriage, or by making them in biplane form.

Granted, a whole host of monoplane aircraft was performing dive bombing attacks even without the brakes of sorts.

For the 3rd time in 2 pages: don't pull upward. Level the aircraft instead and fly away as fast as possible.

Ok. But you still have to broke that dive. I remember an article, by an Jaguar RAF pilot (I dont remember if it was in Airforces Monthly, Flight International...) in the First Gulf War they were ordered to dive bomb with their Jaguars. They didn't exactly like this, and ended bombing from middle height.

I remember an article, by an Jaguar RAF pilot (I dont remember if it was in Airforces Monthly, Flight International...) in the First Gulf War they were ordered to dive bomb with their Jaguars. They didn't exactly like this, and ended bombing from middle height.
Things change when the laser range finders/markers and on-board computers are standard :)
Ditto for the cluster bombs and guided bombs.

Not really. The term had a sexual usage much earlier as an extension of its primary meaning of “carefree”. But when used as such it was generally (though not exclusively) applied to heterosexual use (a gay woman was a prostitute and a gay man was a womanizer).

There are some references to it being used to describe homosexuality going back to the 1890’s but it was not a connotation used by the general public and even when used in a sexual context was generally not exclusive to homosexual relationships. The first recorded reference to “gay” being used as a self descriptor for homosexuality is from 1950, but even then the general usage of gay had only shifted as far as to be generally understood as hedonistic and uninhibited. It was only in the 1960’s that the term narrowed and was adopted as the general descriptor for homosexuality in general and male homosexuality in particular.
Some might disagree with this viewpoint.

Some might disagree with this viewpoint.
Bringing Up Baby (1938) was the first film to use the word gay in an apparent reference to homosexuality. In a scene in which Cary Grant's character's clothes have been sent to the cleaners, he is forced to wear a woman's feather-trimmed robe. When another character asks about his robe, he responds, "Because I just went gay all of a sudden!" Since this was a mainstream film at a time, when the use of the word to refer to cross-dressing (and, by extension, homosexuality) would still be unfamiliar to most film-goers, the line can also be interpreted to mean, "I just decided to do something frivolous."[19]

Not really. The term had a sexual usage much earlier as an extension of its primary meaning of “carefree”. But when used as such it was generally (though not exclusively) applied to heterosexual use (a gay woman was a prostitute and a gay man was a womanizer).

There are some references to it being used to describe homosexuality going back to the 1890’s but it was not a connotation used by the general public and even when used in a sexual context was generally not exclusive to homosexual relationships. The first recorded reference to “gay” being used as a self descriptor for homosexuality is from 1950, but even then the general usage of gay had only shifted as far as to be generally understood as hedonistic and uninhibited. It was only in the 1960’s that the term narrowed and was adopted as the general descriptor for homosexuality in general and male homosexuality in particular.
I've never heard of a Womanizer being a term for a gay man. Always as a term describing men who are sexually interested in Women beyond society's bounds of acceptability.

I've never heard of a Womanizer being a term for a gay man. Always as a term describing men who are sexually interested in Women beyond society's bounds of acceptability.
Yes. That's what's being described. It could be rewritten as: "(prostitutes were referred to as gay women, and a womaniser was referred to as a gay man)".

There's much attention on the Battle as an OK aircraft that had rapidly become a deathtrap as aviation technology moved on.

Is there a way to make the Blenheim more successful (for example by replacing it with a competing design or by delaying it a few years so we go straight to the Beaufort or Beaufighter?)

Is there a way to make the Blenheim more successful (for example by replacing it with a competing design or by delaying it a few years so we go straight to the Beaufort or Beaufighter?)
Design it around the Pegasus engines instead of the Mercury engines, with bomb load of 2000 lbs for starters (basically half-way between the Hampden and OTL Belheimn). It will still be a juicy target for the LW fighters and AA during the day, but it would've been a far better bombtruck for night bombing duties, and offering better cruising speed and altitude than the Hampden. The 2000 lb bomb load should easily transform it into a torpedo bomber, so there is no need for the Botha (saves material worth for 560 aircraft) and Beaufort.
Canadians can make it with the R-1820, Aussies can re-engine it with the R-1830s.

A not-Blenheim, designed as 1-engined bomber around a single Pegasus also has merit IMO. Talk 'super Skua' (but without the folding wing and hook, of course) or SBD.

Design it around the Pegasus engines instead of the Mercury engines, with bomb load of 2000 lbs for starters (basically half-way between the Hampden and OTL Belheimn). It will still be a juicy target for the LW fighters and AA during the day, but it would've been a far better bombtruck for night bombing duties, and offering better cruising speed and altitude than the Hampden. The 2000 lb bomb load should easily transform it into a torpedo bomber, so there is no need for the Botha (saves material worth for 560 aircraft) and Beaufort.
Canadians can make it with the R-1820, Aussies can re-engine it with the R-1830s.

A not-Blenheim, designed as 1-engined bomber around a single Pegasus also has merit IMO. Talk 'super Skua' (but without the folding wing and hook, of course) or SBD.
Do away with the useless, heavy, excessive drag inducing dorsal turret. A Beaufighter type rear position with a pintle mounted mg would be just as effective.

Better yet halt production after the Battle of France and switch wholesale to a Beaufighter with under wing hardpoints for 4 x 500lb bombs and/or torpedo shackles under the fuselage.
BristolBeaufighter-photo-768x549.jpg

Last edited:
Do away with the useless, heavy, excessive drag inducing dorsal turret. A Beaufighter type rear position with a pintle mounted mg would be just as effective.

BristolBeaufighter-photo-768x549.jpg
FWIW, when Cotton's reconaisance unit was trying to make Blenheim faster, the work and result were:

speed.jpg

When such the Blenheim was outfitted with better props and the engine was over-boosted via the use of 100 oct fuel, it was the fastest Belnheim recorded, 294 mph at 13000 ft.

Cotton's work shows at least two things:
- the 286 mph in-service Blenheim I bomber on 87 oct fuel was as true as the 400 mph XP-39, ie. these speed figure are sales pitch figures, not something from real world (even 270 mph is a stretch)
- Belheim was one draggy aircraft (blocky engines, thick and big wing, portly fuselage...)

FWIW, a recent thread on Bristol A/C being designed as 1-engined A/C: link

- the 286 mph in-service Blenheim I bomber on 87 oct fuel was as true as the 400 mph XP-39, ie. these speed figure are sales pitch figures, not something from real world (even 270 mph is a stretch)
- Belheim was one draggy aircraft (blocky engines, thick and big wing, portly fuselage...)
The only way a Blenheim is doing much more than 270mph is in a dive or with a strong tail wind.

The RAF should really have invested in modernising its ground defences in the run up to WWII
The ancient RR Armoured Cars in the Middle East need replacing. The Vickers Light Tanks would be ideal for this but the Army would object. (Suggestions?)
Rifles are fine but airmen aren't infantry and don't get enough practice to be good with them. An SMG for airfield guards would help.
An early RAF Regiment would be beneficial even if pre war it's mostly RAF Volunteer Reserve.

The RAF should really have invested in modernising its ground defences in the run up to WWII
The ancient RR Armoured Cars in the Middle East need replacing. The Vickers Light Tanks would be ideal for this but the Army would object. (Suggestions?)
Rifles are fine but airmen aren't infantry and don't get enough practice to be good with them. An SMG for airfield guards would help.
An early RAF Regiment would be beneficial even if pre war it's mostly RAF Volunteer Reserve.
Remove the Defiant turrets and use them for air defence or ground defence. The unarmed Defiants can then be used for training, aerial recon and for experinental wing mounted cannon trials or finally as a source of engines and spares with the empty casings used on decoy airfields. Every one of these would be a better option than OTL.

Remove the Defiant turrets and use them for air defence or ground defence. The unarmed Defiants can then be used for training, aerial recon and for experinental wing mounted cannon trials or finally as a source of engines and spares with the empty casings used on decoy airfields. Every one of these would be a better option than OTL.
Perhaps the best thing might be that DP does not make a single Defiant in the 1st place?

Perhaps the best thing might be that DP does not make a single Defiant in the 1st place?
The thing is we need to know how much foresight we want to deal with.

The turret fighter as a concept had a certain sense to it so it should be explored unless you have hindsight.

I'd cancel the Defiant if I had foresight but with what was known when it was ordered it made enough sense to justify ordering.

The turret fighter as a concept had a certain sense to it so it should be explored unless you have hindsight.

A simple math should do it.
The 360 mph 8 gun fighter > 315 mph 8 gun fighter > 300 mph 4 gun fighter ( Spitfire > Hurricane > Defiant). We know which one will do better in chasing down the likely 280-300 mph bombers, and shooting them down.

Was that really a serious problem though? I'm not arguing they were using old kit, but the RR armoured cars did a decent enough job in Iraq and Western Desert. As for the Far East, would any of the modern kit even have been sent there? And given all the other problems would it have made a difference even if it had?

I could easily be wrong, but it seems like an ideal world problem. Something to fix after the more serious issues have been sorted.