Soviet civil war.

Lusitania

Donor
So I was wondering could the 1990 disolution of Soviet have resulted in civil war that leave the Soviet Union split into nationalist Russia and Soviet communist countries? If so what republics would remain in Soviet camp and which be free? What be the implications to Warsaw countries?

I don't hink that's possible without a PoD that shifts the centre of power from Russia to another republic. Otherwise, the Soviet Union will always be associated with Russian dominance in some manner.

You would need POD in early 1980's or during 1970's before you could get such civil war. This might cause muh of butterflies.c

Lusitania

Donor
Yes, I had same doubts.

So herecmy premise:
1) 1960 Mao dies and China skips whole cultural revolution sticks with traditional communist doctrine. By 1990 still communist both economically and politically.
2) soviet - China split still happens
3) soviet hardliners overthrow Brezhnev and 1970s till 1984? In 1985 Gorbachev comes to power.
4) soviet economic reforms 1985 1991 fail to lift soviet economic fortunes and in 1992 he is overthrown by communist hardliners
5) Russian nationalists / reformers under Yeltsin attempt to resist communist.
6) milatry forces split between soviet and nationalist forces
7) Baltic states break free
8) Russian/Ukrainian fighting
9) communist forces control all soviet Asians countries, Azerbaijan, Moldavia, Ukraine and Russia east of Ural Mountains.
10) Armenia, Belorussia, Georgia and Russia plus Baltic states become independent states. With both Russia and Belorussia being dictatorships.

So could a communist country exist with these borders? Could it be an an association instead?