The Death of Russia - TL

It's principles are closer to a Crusader Kingdom.
On that note, would Viktor Aksyuchits' monarchism (according to his page on Russian Wikipedia, he is a monarchist who formulated a "concept of a people's monarchy") play any role in his actions in the future?

On that note, would Viktor Aksyuchits' monarchism (according to his page on Russian Wikipedia, he is a monarchist who formulated a "concept of a people's monarchy") play any role in his actions in the future?
People’s monarchy sounds like one of those contradictory ideologies

Equality for thee, but not for me!

I don't want to say too much but the Romanovs in some capacity will make an appearance ITTL.
You won't get any argument from me about that! The USSR was indeed one of the worst, most horrific regimes in human history and should be treated as such.

The thing I would push back on I that you seem to be applying this as something inherent to all leftist currents and ideologies past and present, not just the specific batshit insane strain that was in charge in the USSR and exported abroad during the cold war.
I disagree that I pigeon-hole leftism as being USSR by another name, since I'd effectively be pigeon-holding large parts of myself and nearly 80% of my friends - in my previous work virtually all the truly heroic characters were liberals and leftists (Frank, Berlinguer, Brooke). You had Kurdish Confederalist and Christian anarchist societies operating relatively succesfully, and plenty of successful social democrat states, including ones that were practically state atheist. True, I don't have many successful states based on orthodox Marxism but that's because I think the total centralisation of power without checks and balances will inevitably lead to disaster no matter what the ideological underpinning.

Same here, especially as simply referring to their regime as a "Russian Republic" doesn't really fit with their ideology TBH.
I've been going back and forth in this, but I think I've come up with a name. I'll reveal it in the next chapter.

Last edited:
I've been going back and forth in this, but I think I've come up with a name. I'll reveal it in the next chapter.
Will you also reveal what of the NSF-recognizing countries end up recognizing Stalingrad and what countries end up recognizing Petrograd as well in said chapter? I don't think it would be hard to guess who China would recognize, but aside from that?

Will you also reveal what of the NSF-recognizing countries end up recognizing Stalingrad and what countries end up recognizing Petrograd as well in said chapter? I don't think it would be hard to guess who China would recognize, but aside from that?
That's a good idea too, but it's actually going to be a plot point in the coming chapters as well. ATM the West universally recognises Gaidar as the sole representative of 1993 Russia's borders, but East Europe recognises the independence of the ethnic republics, creating a conflict.

I don't want to say too much but the Romanovs in some capacity will make an appearance ITTL.
Speaking of Romanovs, I'm kinda surprised that the fascist right-wing of the NSF screaming about the good old days didn't include at least a few monarchist types among its ruling members.

Last edited:
The hill I will die on is that the USSR was an evil, vicious, colonial empire and that it's fall IOTL was one of the greatest geopolitical and humanitarian triumphs in human history. From my Polish friends at work who were told in school about how the USSR 'saved Poland from the Nazis' on September 17th 1939, my Cuban friend whose mother was imprisoned for listening to Guns N Roses and Queen and had to escape to America on a raft through shark infested waters to my friends in Hong Kong who have seen the city they grew up in die, not to mention the years of my own life I've spent reading about this state's ethnic cleansing of its citizens, anti-semitism and unabashed imperialism. I have a highly negative view of Communism and a stoic view of Communists since I flirted with far-leftism as a pre-teen like 99% of other pre-teens. My view on Communism is essentially identical to Stephen Kotkin and I wouldn't call Stephen Kotkin an extremist of any description.
Your like if Liberty prime was a human and legitimately based

Speaking of Romanovs, I'm kinda surprised that the fascist right-wing of the NSF screaming about the good old days didn't include at least a few monarchist types among its ruling members.

Fascism is not generally very monarchist ideology. Even if they want return of "old good times" they rarely want restore monarchy.

Fascism is not generally very monarchist ideology. Even if they want return of "old good times" they rarely want restore monarchy.
Rather than return to "good old times" I'd say they're all about presenting the ritualistic rebirth of the "glorious nation"(which for that they do indeed create an idealised past for) as an (highly dystopic) alternative to the liberal-modernist future and because of that they still see themselves as futurists rather than traditionalists(who want to restore "the old" )

Thus their disdain for monarchy and all other traditional - perceived as retrograde - institutions that doesnt fit their idealised nationalistic future

SuperZtar64

Banned
Rather than return to "good old times" I'd say they're all about presenting the ritualistic rebirth of the "glorious nation"(which for that they do indeed create an idealised past for) as an (highly dystopic) alternative to the liberal-modernist future and because of that they still see themselves as futurists rather than traditionalists(who want to restore "the old" )

Thus their disdain for monarchy and all other traditional - perceived as retrograde - institutions that doesnt fit their idealised nationalistic future
You've got fascism exactly pinned down. I would say more often "fascism is a progressive ideology" but such a statement looks like flamebait if you don't actually understand what I mean. Fascism looks to the future, not the past. Although it does need an idealized past to work the fascist fundamentally sees himself as the bringer of a brighter future for his people and that their condition can be improved using the state.

You've got fascism exactly pinned down. I would say more often "fascism is a progressive ideology" but such a statement looks like flamebait if you don't actually understand what I mean. Fascism looks to the future, not the past. Although it does need an idealized past to work the fascist fundamentally sees himself as the bringer of a brighter future for his people and that their condition can be improved using the state.
Pretty much

I'd say fascism is not "progressism as we know it" which avoids the flamebait but that it sees itself as progressing towards it's own view of Utopia where everyone is happy worshipping the nation-state and all it's enemies are gone

But of course that doesnt mean there arent reactionary movements who are all about restoring the "good old times" using the same methods and symbology as fascism

I think ultimately this is a discussion better suited for Chat, but Im addressing it briefly here because it helps to understand where the fascist and stalinist factions diverge and where they're all too similar to one another

Sounds like something Peron wouid have come up with if Argentina had ever been a monarchy
I mean Evita did get a head of state funeral and Christian Dior did call her a Queen despite she being officially only the First Lady
So I guess close enough?