The Great Western reborn –British railways as they should have been.

I will be the first to admit that this is a very niche timeline, but what the hey, I am an ardent rail fan, indulge me. I got a request for it after all :D

For those of you who are not intimately acquainted with the History of the British railway network, a brief review of OTL is necessary. Since 1923 the railways had been run by 4 large companies, the London North Eastern Railway (LNER), The Southern Railway (SR), The London Midland & Scottish Railway (LMS), and The Great Western Railway (GWR, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Western_Railway). Of these, the GWR had by far the longest and most illustrious history. Formed in 1838, and with a history of strident independence, it was the only one of the big four which had existed before 1923. After the Second World War, the railway infrastructure in the UK was in crisis. The effects of bombing, lack of maintenance and the pressures put on the system by the military had brought the already ailing network to its knees. Millions of pounds of investment were needed simply to put things right, and all four companies were in financial ruin. It was decided by the Attlee government that the only solution was to extend their Nationalisation program to the railways. From the first of January 1948, all railways in the UK were made part of British Railways, owned by the state. Over the next 20 years they would put well the war damage, and attempt to make the railways profitable. However, by the mid 60s, the railways were failing to compete with road traffic and a round politically motivated “modernisation” and “cost cutting” began, with the loss of hundreds of stations and tens of thousands of track miles, a blow that the British rail network would never recover from.

So much for History. I have been working on a number of drawings, theorising locomotives that might have been built had the railways escaped nationalisation. Why this happened is not important, what is, is the impact on the railways and on the GWR in particular…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The transport bill, which had proposed the nationalisation of all British transport and the creation of a state owned railway, is narrowly defeated in the House of Lords. They send the bill back to the commons. In a radical alteration to the original bill, it is instead suggested that the existing railway companies be subsidised instead with a large government loan and tax relief program, worked out according to their freight tonnage and passenger use in the 1947 financial year. The loan was directed at aiding the re-building and modernisation of the rail system, with incentives for electrification.

The transport Act (1948) is passed.

Breathing a collective sight of relief, the rail industry gets down to the task of rebuilding their industry, boosted by the government cash. In the case of the GWR, this meant several things. Firstly, there was the repair of the trunk routes, several of which still had major bridge work and bomb damage to repair. In the case of the London-Bristol Main line, the structures were slowly upgraded to allow for a higher axle weight, a process that would continue till 1950. Stations and yards in London, Birmingham, Cardiff and Manchester which had bomb damage were repaired over the course of the year.

One of the largest sources of inefficiency in the railway system was its plethora of different loco types, many of them antiquated and hopelessly outdated. Whilst the GWR was better than most, it was still using many locomotives that they had inherited in 1923. As part of their loan conditions, the railways had been forced to make moves towards standardisation of their rolling stock. For the GWR, this meant several new building programs to replace time worn stock. The Pannier tank classes, long the GWRs staple general purpose tank locomotives, were expanded, replacing several older designs. Many were auto-fitted to allow the use of auto coaches (A passenger coach with a driving cab in one end) on isolated branch line. A new line of large passenger and freight locomotives was designed, the first full production class of Pacific locomotives to run on the GWR, allowed now due to the increased main line weight capacity and new metallurgy techniques that allowed for a lighter locomotive. With a sharp increase in coal prices toward the end of the year, the decision was also made to expand what had an experimental purchase of 0-6-0 diesel shunters made during the war. A further 50 were ordered to replace some small tank locomotives in the larger marshalling yards.

With the completion of the upgrades to the London-Bristol main line, the first of the “Empress” class locomotives entered service. For the railway men these would always be called “Super kings” ,becuase not only were they larger then their predesscors , but also because their long boiler and smoke-box resembled a particular brand of cigarettes. The class would prove to be only mildly successful, as most other major lines would continue to have weight restrictions into the mid 1950s, meaning that the pre-war “King” and “Castle” classes would continue to hold sway for several years yet. The 1950 summer season was one of the most successful since the heydays of the 1930s, with the “Cornish Riviera” proving particularly popular. The continued high cost of coal prompted several investigations into how to save money on suburban passenger services and on the various cross-county passenger services where capacity was limited. Electrification was proposed for the London-Oxford line, but many within the company opposed it, the GWR having no other electrified lines to base their experience on, and few other lines that the investment would be worth replicating on. Instead, a 3rd generation of Diesel Railcars were put forward, based on the success of several pre-war designs. A unique feature of these new cars would be their adaptability; they were designed as a single-car unit, but with flexible gangway connections at both ends so that one or more units could be used with (slightly modified) carriages between them. This meant that they could now not only be used in pairs on heavy suburban services, but on their own on the smaller lines.

More to come...

Last edited:
I have little or no knowlage about british transport polices but I klike this and Green and plesent land please contiue:D

Ok , heres more for the fans...:D

Tragedy struck the design team in this era. Frederick Hawksworth, chief mechanical engineer since 1941 and the driving force behind the standardisation program was killed in a freak accident whilst inspecting a new super-heated boiler design. After this unfortunate incident, Oliver Bullied was appointed CME despite criticism from several board members about his age and the unconventionality of some of his work whilst he was CME of the Southern Railway. However, Bullied success with his “merchant Navy” class and their excellent fuel efficiency had led many engineers to suggest that his innovations could lead to an improvement in the new standard classes for the GWR. This would be the start of the Bullied school of engineers, a discipline that would dominate design within the GWR for several decades to come.

In December, the first of the new generation of railcars began service. They massively decreased timings on the London suburban routes, and over the next decade, began to encourage the development of the new satellite towns that were being built beyond the green belt

With the process of standardisation increasing afoot, Bullied announced a new set of designs intended to become the freight workhorses of the company. With the end of the war had come a glut of military surplus Lorries and the freight haulage receipts had dropped considerably. In a renewed effort to counter this, Bullied proposed new and more efficient locomotives and increased investment in the companies’ road haulage division that delivered goods from the company’s yards.

The first of these new locomotives was a 2-6-0 general purpose locomotive based on a modernised version of Bullieds earlier Q1 design. The new design, dubbed the “Hamlet” class, came with some of the aesthetic touches that had been shelved for the original, such as aesthetic bodywork, and an improved superheating system. These engines were designed to be some of the most efficient machinery running on the network, and a whole host of labour saving devices was introduced in a n effort to reduce maintenance time and repair costs

A second class of Heavy goods locomotives was also proposed based on Bullieds “leader” experiment of 1947 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Leader_Class). Whilst the original had proved to be unsuccessful in SR service, Bullied hoped that the lessons learnt from the affair could solve the mechanical problems that had plagued the original.

In another bow to the times, both designs were to dispose of the need for fireman,. The “Hamlet’s” would be fired by powdered coal fed by a screw system, and the “leaders” by an Oil burning boiler.

Designs this controversial proved difficult to get approved, and the debate would continue in the boardroom for many months.

What do you mean nichey! :eek: Transport in general and railways in particular are supreme. The rest are just filling in. :D Nice one Sir Scott, I might just brush the dust off Green and Pleasant Land and get version 2 on-line.
Oh, please do... hell, if the Cuban Missile War timeline can be revise and updated almost constantly for months, there's no reason yours can't be altered just a little...any specific changes in mind?

On this thread :)D), good stuff so far! The obvious counterpart would be one in which the Beeching Axe never falls... also, nice touch getting Oliver Bullied's designsdeveloped more, from wht I could tell in G&PL they held a lot of promise.

EDIT: well, obviously The Dean's G&PL one is an exploration of continued nationalisation... if I remember correctly. Haven't read it for a while actually!

Last edited:
On this thread :)D), good stuff so far! The obvious counterpart would be one in which the Beeching Axe never falls... also, nice touch getting Oliver Bullied's designsdeveloped more, from wht I could tell in G&PL they held a lot of promise.

Yeah ,bullied had several problem , but his engineering wasnt one of them. From what i can tell he suffered due to instrangence by the traditional railway builders to his advanced designs , and because the railways were nationalised at the height of his success. Some of his designs , like the Q1 and the Merchant navies , were massively successfull , and very advanced for their time. However , his Leader was a collosal failure when it was trialed by BR , mainly due to its complexity. Ive proposed that , with some more work , he might be able to get it going again. However , thats not a guarentee...

Dont worry , its going to hot up soon. Well see some more radical changes long before beeching gets a say...

A railroad TL! Bless you!

Not that I know much of British railroading, but would a 2-6-0 such as the "Hamlet" really be powerful enough for postwar mixed work? Surely a Consolidation or Ten Wheeler would better do the job.

A railroad TL! Bless you!

Not that I know much of British railroading, but would a 2-6-0 such as the "Hamlet" really be powerful enough for postwar mixed work? Surely a Consolidation or Ten Wheeler would better do the job.

Ahhah , an American :D

Frankly the awnser is no. For several reasons.

1) loading guage. The loading gusage in the Uk , like most of Europe , is far smaller than the US. A Consolidation simply wouldnt fit. Itd take out all the Bridges and wouldnt fit in most of the sheds.

2)Most freight at this time was still carted around in non-vacume wagons of 10 tons or less. half mile long freights of the type common in America would simply not be possible without using vacume equipped company wagons , of which there were reletively few. Thus trains tended to be smaller

3)These locomotives were more powerfull than you might think. 0-6-0s and 2-6-0s were the mainstay of the freight locomotive fleet till well into the 60s. the Q1 was one of the most successfull freight locomotives in BR stock. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Class_Q1)

4)Until the 60s , the mixed freight train and pick-up goods services were still common , tasks that did not require such a large loco. The long Distance stuff could be handled by a reletively small number of heavy goods Locomotives , like the GWRs 2800 class (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2800_Class)

You are right however , in predicting bigger cargos. By the Mid 60s , the nature of freight on british railways had changed. BR had got rid of Un-braked wagons (buying them of their private owners and scrapping them) and largely replaced them. They were also handling larger single type goods trains , in particular what became called "merry go round" trains to the coal mines to the power plant. Consequently , BR built what was to be the one of the largest (and last) Locos built in the UK , the 9Fs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9F)

British locos are smaller , But dammit theyre classier! :D

Ahhah , an American :D

Frankly the awnser is no. For several reasons.

1) loading guage. The loading gusage in the Uk , like most of Europe , is far smaller than the US. A Consolidation simply wouldnt fit. Itd take out all the Bridges and wouldnt fit in most of the sheds.

2)Most freight at this time was still carted around in non-vacume wagons of 10 tons or less. half mile long freights of the type common in America would simply not be possible without using vacume equipped company wagons , of which there were reletively few. Thus trains tended to be smaller

3)These locomotives were more powerfull than you might think. 0-6-0s and 2-6-0s were the mainstay of the freight locomotive fleet till well into the 60s. the Q1 was one of the most successfull freight locomotives in BR stock. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Class_Q1)

4)Until the 60s , the mixed freight train and pick-up goods services were still common , tasks that did not require such a large loco. The long Distance stuff could be handled by a reletively small number of heavy goods Locomotives , like the GWRs 2800 class (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2800_Class)

You are right however , in predicting bigger cargos. By the Mid 60s , the nature of freight on british railways had changed. BR had got rid of Un-braked wagons (buying them of their private owners and scrapping them) and largely replaced them. They were also handling larger single type goods trains , in particular what became called "merry go round" trains to the coal mines to the power plant. Consequently , BR built what was to be the one of the largest (and last) Locos built in the UK , the 9Fs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9F)
Golly. Never knew about the Class Q1, or much else about British rail beyond Isambard Brunel, inventor of everything cool in Victorian Britain. I bow before you.
British locos are smaller , But dammit theyre classier! :D
In a... well, British way they certainly are damn classy, but you can't deny the elegance in locomotives such as the Daylight or the raw power of the classic American freight-hauling articulated locos.

The SP 4-8-8-2 reminds me-- did the Brits ever experiment much with cabforward steam design? I've never seen any signs of it.

Another rail lover here! (Nephew works for Canadian National and best friend is a division manager for BNSF, too. :D)

I can already see a problem arising here - steam engines were Bullied's passion, but they had many problems. For maintenance and support reasons, diesel locomotives were better suited. That's why even nationalized railways systems in nations like Canada and Australia had seen steam locomotives disappear by 1970. For-profit ones, particularly ones with efficiency concerns like your GWR, would want diesels to replace steam as fast as possible.

I can already see a problem arising here - steam engines were Bullied's passion, but they had many problems. For maintenance and support reasons, diesel locomotives were better suited. That's why even nationalized railways systems in nations like Canada and Australia had seen steam locomotives disappear by 1970. For-profit ones, particularly ones with efficiency concerns like your GWR, would want diesels to replace steam as fast as possible.
I would think that as long as the equipment was cheap, it'd be acceptable to continue steam operations and resist diesel and electrification. That would certainly be the case here, and wasn't there a postwar economic slump going on in the early '50s, too? I wouldn't think it'd be a priority of anyone just yet.

Not to mention that even Japan had steam operations until '76, and that's with the last steam engines being built in the mid-50s.

.In a... well, British way they certainly are damn classy, but you can't deny the elegance in locomotives such as the Daylight or the raw power of the classic American freight-hauling articulated locos.

I always did have a soft spot for the streamliners , but the daylight still seems Bulky , here, try one of ours (http://www.railart.co.uk/gallery/images/nixon2.jpg)

The SP 4-8-8-2 reminds me-- did the Brits ever experiment much with cabforward steam design? I've never seen any signs of it.

Not really , the Leader is the only Locomotive I know of that would really fall under the category of a "Cabforward , but then again , we didnt really need to. As most trains were smaller ,many were handled by Large tank locomotives , such as the Standard 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_standard_class_4_tank). Alternatively , many of the smaller tender locos had adapted tenders to allow for backward running.The fact of the matter is however that these adaptations were made for different reasons to their American cousins. Whilst most "Cabforwards" in the US were built so that their crew werent suffocated inside long tunnels , British Locos were built so that they could be run backward and save the hastle of turning it around.

Another rail lover here! (Nephew works for Canadian National and best friend is a division manager for BNSF, too. :D)

This is quite true , and all of the big 4 had begun experimenting with small diesel shunters as early as the 1930s. However , the establishment were slow to pick up on the idea. The first Main line heavy locomotive didnt appear until 1948 , and even then , it was reletively unsuccsessful in service. Many of the early Deisel designs for BR suffered from mechanical problems , and they were not willing to commit to dieselisation until the late 1950s. BR would continue building steam locomotives until 1960. The GWR was famous for harbouring conservetive ideas , and i think i might even be stretching it with bullieds designs. You are right though , the tide was against them, hence the desperate attempts to make them more efficient and use less crew and maintainence.

Besides , the UK at this time still had a thriving coal mining industry , the workhorse of the industrial revoloution , and the discovery of oil in the north sea was still 30 years away. It still made sense to use coal. The drive at dieselisation in the UK was largly politicly driven , but you are right , and though i can guarentee steam will last longer on this GWR , it wont last forever...

Last edited:

With the New Years budget came a decision announcing the construction of the engine classes proposed the previous year. Whilst the “Hamlets” were to be placed into full production, with 112 locomotives ordered, the orders for the “Leader” were to be restricted to a small experimental batch of 12 locomotives.

Increasing global use of oil meant that coal, still the primary fuel of most of the GWRs loco fleet, has begun to fall in price. Whilst this has added weight to the arguments of those opposing dieselisation, it has reduced the companies receipts for the welsh coal that the GWR had previously made much money transporting.

1954-57

Due to increasing competition, many of the companies’ minor divisions, such as its airline services, and many of its hotels are sold off. Whilst these tide the company through a rough economic period, their loss of income will haunt the company in years to come.

In 1955 one of the company’s main rivals, the LMS, was taken into a receivership. Whilst this had prompted many to call for Nationalisation, the concerted efforts of vested interests managed once again to fend this off.

Whilst the introduction of the “Hamlets” has gone well, the “leaders continued to cause problems, with higher maintenance costs than had been expected. No further were ordered, and the experimental class were all withdrawn by 1963

Introduction of fast railcars on the London suburban routes in 1951, combined with a highly successful advertising campaign (promoting the new “Greenland”), led to a boom in the west London housing market. In particular, new housing estates around Slough, Bicester and Windsor led to a further increased passenger demand. Hoping to tap into this new market, and with the strain on the railcars increasing, Bullied advised the Board that Electrification was the only way to increase timings across the system. A draft proposal would see the Electrification of approximately 400 miles of track and sidings, From Paddington to Oxford, with the branches to Basingstoke, Henley, Marlow and Windsor included in the scheme.

In conjunction with the electrification study, a study is introduced to test the feasibility of new diesels on the Bristol main line to fill the gap that the “leader” had been intended for. Proposals from several outside companies were entertained, including Metropolitan Vickers, AEC, and the Yorkshire engine company. Amongst the plans was a design for a radically new Diesel-Hydraulic locomotive.

In France when SNCF did comparison testing of the new electric locomotives against Andre Chapelon's latest steam locos in the late 40s early 50s they found the steam locos outperformed the electric but suppressed the results. Chapelon's work was continued by his student Livio Porta in South America and then David Wardale and Phil Girdlestone in Africa and Australia where they are still building steam locos as efficient or more so than diesel and electric units.

In France when SNCF did comparison testing of the new electric locomotives against Andre Chapelon's latest steam locos in the late 40s early 50s they found the steam locos outperformed the electric but suppressed the results. Chapelon's work was continued by his student Livio Porta in South America and then David Wardale and Phil Girdlestone in Africa and Australia where they are still building steam locos as efficient or more so than diesel and electric units.

Ive been thinking along these lines , The diesel engines are to run a comparison. When the costs are added up , its probably going to fall for a part dieselisation , but no full scale electrification or anything quite so radical.

Ive been thinking along these lines , The diesel engines are to run a comparison. When the costs are added up , its probably going to fall for a part dieselisation , but no full scale electrification or anything quite so radical.

The last generation, in fact even 1920s and 30s steam locos that were modernised properly, used less fossil fuel per ton per mile than even the best diesel electrics ever did. The infrastructure to operate them was in place and it took a deliberate decision and cost money to demolish it. The countries that kept that infrastructure in other parts of the world such as South America, Africa and Australia are still operating profitable steam trains.

Fascinating stuff. Well Done! For my sins I spend time acting on property related legal matters for a certain railway infrastructure owner in the UK. (My un-original user name is a poor attempt at irony).:p

While I have some sympathy with your premise that GWR was probably best equipped to remain private there were going to be a series of railway company failures even among the big four (and don't forget that there were still some other minor entities that had escaped the 1920's legislation - see the preamble to the 47 Act).

We are in an era of "Big Government" when Labour are in power. Does your TL hold some surprises or will we see state intervention?

Looking foward to the next installment!

Take me to your leader

How about a future not based on the Great Western but the Southern. Bulleid in appointed CME of British Railways instead of Riddles and is able to co ntinue developing the Leader class which becomes a success and he also goes on to develop new diesel designs

In 1955 one of the company’s main rivals, the LMS, was taken into a receivership. Whilst this had prompted many to call for Nationalisation, the concerted efforts of vested interests managed once again to fend this off.

Interesting start I am looking forward to the next instalment but surely the LMS would have been as well placed as the GWR after the war. The Stanier and Ivatt locomotive and rolling stock standards and the experimental electric high speed signalling should have given the LMS an equal chance of success with the GWR.

The company that struggled the most after grouping was the LNER, however in my opinion they would have all gone bust.