The Marvel Mutant Multiplication

Here is a subject for discussion: Early on in his career, old skeletons-in-his-closet Charles Xavier realized that mutants were doomed if they tried to match human numbers.
This was during the first X-men, when Angel was considered quite a good mutation. Power levels were not high, and humans with bullets were a threat.

Xavier decides on a two-prong strategy: in addition to the strategy of peaceful coexistence backed up by X-men, the numbers of available mutants must increase.

30 000 children are born to artifical fertilization each year in the USA. With Xaviers powers, switching the samples is childs play. The only problem is, whose genetic material does he replace it with?

Obviously it should be someone fit, bright and very powerful. Good candidates are far between, though.

The females are out because sample extraction would be too much surgery to conceal.

Magneto: Recoils from the idea in horror, he has had enough of breeding experiments in his youth. His powers are not genetically stable anyway, his kids could have any level of mutation.

Havok and Cyclops: Borderline minusvariants, their powers are too uncontrollable.

Angel: Not exactly an omega.

Iceman: Does not appear powerful.

Beast: An unfortunate potential for genetic devolution.

Mimic: Not a mutant.

The best candidate is in fact Xavier himself.

However, this would lead to a situation 15 years later where Xavier is having the disquieting realization that between Legion and Cassandra Nova, his family tends to unravel worlds like yarn. And there are about 10 000 potential omega-level psychics coming of age in the next two years....

Thoughts?

Sachyriel

Banned
Here is a subject for discussion: Early on in his career, old skeletons-in-his-closet Charles Xavier realized that mutants were doomed if they tried to match human numbers.
This was during the first X-men, when Angel was considered quite a good mutation. Power levels were not high, and humans with bullets were a threat.

Xavier decides on a two-prong strategy: in addition to the strategy of peaceful coexistence backed up by X-men, the numbers of available mutants must increase.

30 000 children are born to artifical fertilization each year in the USA. With Xaviers powers, switching the samples is childs play. The only problem is, whose genetic material does he replace it with?

Obviously it should be someone fit, bright and very powerful. Good candidates are far between, though.

The females are out because sample extraction would be too much surgery to conceal.

Magneto: Recoils from the idea in horror, he has had enough of breeding experiments in his youth. His powers are not genetically stable anyway, his kids could have any level of mutation.

Havok and Cyclops: Borderline minusvariants, their powers are too uncontrollable.

Angel: Not exactly an omega.

Iceman: Does not appear powerful.

Beast: An unfortunate potential for genetic devolution.

Mimic: Not a mutant.

The best candidate is in fact Xavier himself.

However, this would lead to a situation 15 years later where Xavier is having the disquieting realization that between Legion and Cassandra Nova, his family tends to unravel worlds like yarn. And there are about 10 000 potential omega-level psychics coming of age in the next two years....

Thoughts?

Wolverine? Gambit?

Gambit makes things explode any time he wants! How is that not an Omega?

Gambit makes smaller things explode. Wolverine has beserk rages. And neither one was available back then.

Wolverine is the perfect choice. His rage is not his power, it is the ability to heal from anything. So for a mutant facing the dange rof the world the best power is healing. That ensures they live long lives, and can face any thing that gets in their way.

Picture ten or twenty men who no matter how hard you hit can get back up and start again. That is a good ability, and it grants cannon-fodder if you will.

Sachyriel

Banned
Wolverine is the perfect choice. His rage is not his power, it is the ability to heal from anything. So for a mutant facing the dange rof the world the best power is healing. That ensures they live long lives, and can face any thing that gets in their way.

Picture ten or twenty men who no matter how hard you hit can get back up and start again. That is a good ability, and it grants cannon-fodder if you will.

So? Gambit is technically a Zero-Point Energy Generator, as he can manipulate energy at the kinetic level.

So? Gambit is technically a Zero-Point Energy Generator, as he can manipulate energy at the kinetic level.

And Cyclops can shoot an energy beam able to take out anything from a mugger to a SHIELD Carrier. The issue is not who is the most pwoerful but how will humans react to hundreds of teenagers unable to control such powers? That is why the X-men exsist you help mutants control their powers. With a healing factor its not only easier to have a large group of mutants, but also take the edge off of "dangerous" mutants.

Sachyriel

Banned
And Cyclops can shoot an energy beam able to take out anything from a mugger to a SHIELD Carrier. The issue is not who is the most pwoerful but how will humans react to hundreds of teenagers unable to control such powers? That is why the X-men exsist you help mutants control their powers. With a healing factor its not only easier to have a large group of mutants, but also take the edge off of "dangerous" mutants.

Yeah..and Original Gambit is so much cooler if he's unique...a kid raised by thieves guild of New Orleans who can make stuff explode and is crazy-fast/agile/flexible.

If there's 10 000 of him it's like there are terrorist street urchins running around.

Yeah..and Original Gambit is so much cooler if he's unique...a kid raised by thieves guild of New Orleans who can make stuff explode and is crazy-fast/agile/flexible.

If there's 10 000 of him it's like there are terrorist street urchins running around.

Same goes with super strenth, magnetic control, and the dozens of other powers out there. If Xaiver needs raw numbers to bulk up his forces, and at the same time not make Mutants utterly the enemy of the world you need a safe power, which is utterly defensive but not deadly to humans. So if 1 out of 3 mutants can heal themselves and nothing else that seems rather nice doesn't it? Who can get scared of a guy whose ability is "oh I broke my arm but am better now."

If Xavier keeps his experiments going and makes more Mutants have this large selection of people who are the friendly public face of Homo Superior.

You guys do realize that in the future Marvel 616 timeline, where Cable originates, mutants out number humans in about the same ratio as humans outnumbering mutants during the modern times.

You guys do realize that in the future Marvel 616 timeline, where Cable originates, mutants out number humans in about the same ratio as humans outnumbering mutants during the modern times.

Which makes me once more ask what the hell is up with M-day?:mad:

You are trying to make sense out of a comic book continuity?

But Cable is way far in the future so that leave room to make like it never happen

Well Cable speaks of M-Day like it was a given for his day and age, same with Civil War, same with Messiah, same with... at least Booster Gold gives hints on how to help the future.

TheCrow__

Banned
I think Gambit would be perfect cause they unlocked his powers completely he would control energy to the molecular level and has anyone heard of New Sun, Gambit from alternate reality who hopes around from reality to reality killing off Gambit's cause he blew up Earth! ummm why not Gambit

Sachyriel

Banned
I think Gambit would be perfect cause they unlocked his powers completely he would control energy to the molecular level and has anyone heard of New Sun, Gambit from alternate reality who hopes around from reality to reality killing off Gambit's cause he blew up Earth! ummm why not Gambit

Exactly what I was talking about. I mean, no one but Gambit would take out the sun accidently and then take it out on every other alternate version of himself.

I don't really thing someone capable of taking out the sun would be such a good candidate. At least one of the teenagers running around would get an emo-fit at some point.

Anyway, my premise was that if these kids are going to start coming into their powers soon, it the switch of genetic materials would have to have happened very early, around the first issues of the X-men. When choices were not so good.

Neither Wolverine nor Gambit was available at the time.

Sachyriel

Banned
I don't really thing someone capable of taking out the sun would be such a good candidate. At least one of the teenagers running around would get an emo-fit at some point.

Anyway, my premise was that if these kids are going to start coming into their powers soon, it the switch of genetic materials would have to have happened very early, around the first issues of the X-men. When choices were not so good.

Neither Wolverine nor Gambit was available at the time.

Mystique and Wolverine have been around longer than Xavier. Wolverine fought in WW2.

Plus, since Xavier has Cerebro, he might be able to do a quick scanning of minds, and see who is up for a procedure.

I mean, Cerebro, able to see all the mutants of the world, and Xavier's cutting it down to people he knows?

Anyways, that's an alternate reality version of Gambit, when he starts training his powers right away for the betterment of mankind instead of working with them to improve his abilities as a world-class thief.

I see where your coming from, Xavier didn't have Cerebro back then, and you know, I just wanna suggest Gambit for when Xavier tries it again after he's grown up.

TheCrow__

Banned
and who ever the mutant is I'm sure Xavier would put mental blocks in each one of the kids to keep their powers in check

Is it known when Xavier first heard/knew of Wolverine? I know he at least knows of him by the time of Giant Size X-Men, but was Wolverine an Alpha Flight member or a villainous mercenary (or Team X member or what have you) during the early days of the X-Men?

Regardless, I'm pretty sure if Xavier knew of Wolverine during the pre-Cerebro, early-X-Men days, then he'd assume that Wolverine's adamantium claws were his power, like everyone else did those days, and therefore rule him out.