The Prince of Peace

Susano

Banned
The borders blur, but I agree, most narrative style TLs have been posted in the writers forum, too.
OTOH: Who cares? Heh...

Faeelin

Banned
I must admit, howeer, a preference for narrative tl's, which explain people's actions.

Henry nodded. “So you would agree, then, that the salvation of men’s souls is of great important to the church?”

Innocent began to suspect a trap.” Of course, mankind’s salvation is of immense importance, as any village priest will tell you.”

Henry banged a fist on the table. “Then do the obvious! Renounce Rome and control of Central Italy. The revenues of the Imperial churches will more than make up for it. The church will be freed from worldly concerns to focus on what you view as more important, the salvation of our souls.”

“Consider, Innocent, the dangers to Christendom. The Greeks are still schismatic, the Saracens ravage Spain, and heresy spreads throughout Europe. In Toulouse, men openly boast that the Earth is the realm of Satan. And yet we quarrel over a few cities, over the rights of the Empire and of the Pope. I beseech you, accept this offer, for the sake of our immortal souls [12].”

Innocent shook his head. “It cannot be. Constantine’s Donation was made for a reason. It is a demonstration that the Papacy possesses temporal as well as spiritual concerns, establishing that the Church is of this world as well as the next. You, however, are only of this world. Spiritual matters are beyond your grasp. Moreover, it would make the pope dependent upon the Emperor’s good will, and the church will never whore itself for money. The Papal lands cannot be given up.”

Henry nodded. “Fair enough. I hope that, with time, you shall understand and repent of your decision. But I do have one other favor to ask. As you are well aware, the Church will grant lords the revenues of churches on their lands if they are on the crusade. As Emperor, and the King of Jerusalem, it is my duty to defend the Holy Sepulcher.”

Henry raised his voice higher so all could hear. “ I therefore ask that, as Emperor, you acknowledge me as an eternal crusader, for by my very nature, I must always defend the Holy Land. Therefore, I ask that I receive the revenues of the Imperial church, so that I might end the grave threats to Christendom. As you have refused, it would only be fair to use that money to defend the Faith.”
Innocent was taken aback momentarily. This he had not expected. ”You have made a mistake in your theology. Although crusading is, by its nature voluntary, there is a moral imperative to do so. Those who refuse to take the Cross will have to answer on judgment day.”

“Then is it not necessary for the Church to help Crusaders? Even a tithe of the church’s imperial revenues will suffice.”

Innocent was caught in a trap. If he said no, he could not raise money for the Crusade he was planning. If he said yes… well, he didn’t really have a choice. “We shall consider it.”

Henry bowed, and made to leave. “There is one more thing I ask of you. I regret to inform you that princes, led by Ottokar, who claims to be the king of Bohemia, of Bohemia and Otto, the Welf have risen against me. And,” said Henry, “ now that you are aware of this tragic fact, and their assault upon the lands and rights of a Crusader, breaking the Truce of God, I ask you to excommunicate them and their followers.”’

Innocent, by this point, was getting angry. Who was he, to tell the Pope whom to excommunicate? “We must give them time to reconsider, the forty days that custom demands.”

“If they had forty years they would not reconsider!” Henry and his retinue left the room in which the negotiations were conducted.

Before walking out, Henry called out one last sentence. “You may have qualms about unleashing the Sword of St. Peters, but I have no qualms about using the Sword of Christ. We shall see which proves its mettle.”

Here's a scene that got cut, but should be in.

Messina, March, 1199

Henry was not normally a nervous man. After all, you couldn’t defend Christendom if you were a coward! He was no Greek, to run from danger.

But Joachim of Fiore was in many ways more scary than all the armies of the Infidel. He had be en summoned before the Emperor to explain the fate of the world.

“They say you are a prophet,” said Henry.

Joachim bowed before the Emperor. “In no way. I merely see what God wishes to show me. I am just a messenger. He has given me the insight to understand the revelations.”

“And what does he tell you?”

Joachim gestured. “The Holy Virgin, basking in the glow of the faith, supported by the Church, stands against the seven-headed dragon, Satan. The seven heads represent the persecutors of the faith, from Herod to Saladin. Six of the seven persecutors are dead, but one, the antichrist, still lives.”

Henry shuddered. “Where?”

“In Rome. He is about twenty-five. He will seduce the church, focusing it upon worldly matters over its true calling. It will be corrupted by avarice and ambition, and its greed will cause many to lose the faith, seduced by heresies that ensure their damnation.”

“And the Empire?”

“That,” said Joachim, “depends on you. But I can tell you this. The Antichrist shall face an Emperor who rules Jerusalem.”

[12] An Emperor asking the Pope to give up Italy in exchange for money? Sound farfetched? Henry proposed that to Celestine in 1194.

Faeelin

Banned
Byzantium, July, 1199

“We are the sole two universal forces. The only Roman church and the only Roman empire of the successors of Justinian and therefore we should unite and try to stop a new increase of the power of our opponent the emperor of the west,” said Alexius III, Emperor of Byzantium, Rightful Sovereign of Mankind.

The pope’s delegate nodded. “The Emperor is too powerful. If we cannot stop him, he will end the freedom of the Papacy and break Byzantium.”

Alexius refrained from rolling his eyes. Yes, the German was a threat, but the idea that anyone could take Byzantium was absurd. Still, the Pope’s offer could be interesting. “What do you propose?”

“A council, to end the schism, for one.” The legate paused, as if unsure, and continued, “it is the pope’s duty to anoint the Emperor, as we all know. Therefore, if the Emperor is deemed unworthy, it is the Pope’s duty to find a new one, for the Church is in need of a defender. And if the Papacy could transfer the dignity from the Greeks, it could always transfer it back.”

Alexius smiled. It was about time that the barbarians acknowledged who their ruler was.

Faeelin

Banned
Nuremberg, July, 1199

“princeps legibus solutus”

The Leader is not bound by law.

Henry stared, Who was this child before him? Frederick was not yet five, but already he seemed, to his father who had not seen him for two years, to be the wonder of the world [14].

Frederick, for his part, was unsure how to react. He knew who this was, but to him Phillip had played a bigger role. “Hello, father,” said Frederick. “Did you bring me anything back from the Crusade?”

For the first time in months, Henry laughed.

“Yes, I have.”

Isabelle entered the room, and Frederick stared at her and her child. “This is your new mother, Empress Isabelle, and your brother, Constantine.”

Upon returning from the East, Henry’s first necessity was to call a Diet, to establish who were loyal to the Emperor. The result was better than expected. The lords from the Crusade, including the bishops of Mainz and Bremen, were there. Oddly, the towns were his enthusiastic supporters [15], which was a welcome change from Italy.

It was more noticeable, really, who was not there, really. Richard had not sent a delegate, nor had the Wittelsbachs. Henry of the Palatinate was supporting his brother, but just as well. Let them know he meant business. Henry raised his voice and began to speak.

“I must admit, when I hear the false claims of the Welfs and their allies, I wonder if they have me confused with someone else. They call me a tyrant who has taken over the Empire; yet was I not elected? Did you not decide to make my son, and his sons, the heirs of the Empire? Of course, then, their claim is a lie by deceitful wretches. They claim that I am unholy, and mock God. One would think I am a Commeni.”

“Let me tell you who I am, then. And let the traitors to God know as well. I am the August Emperor of Rome, the Defender of the Faith. I am the King of Germany, of Burgundy, of Italy, of Sicily, and of Jerusalem. I am the Sword of Christ, used against heretics and traitors. It was used on Saphadin, and shall soon be used on you.”

The assembled nobles cheered. “Sieg un Heil! Sieg und Heil!”

The next day was a tournament, to celebrate the Emperor’s success. It was also a day for Henry to plan his strategy. According to Phillip, the rebels were hemmed in the north and in Bohemia.

“How do you think we should deal with them?” asked Phillip, as they walked through the fields where the tournament was being held.

Henry laughed, and drew his sword. “Like this.” With a swipe, he cut the grass in half.

Eisenach, August, 1199

Otto dodged the blade, and swore. Where were his reinforcements? Where were the other princes Innocent had promised?

The battle had been a disaster. Otto’s supporters had been defeated or joined the Emperor. No one could stand against the Defender of Jerusalem, and so no one would. He had tried, but Henry’s cavalry had been too much. There was still a chance, though. If he could escape to England..

He heard a great cry behind him. He was trapped, and now all hope was lost.

Fulda, March, 1200

“Lord Emperor, are you sure you wish to see this?” asked Henry’s guard.

“I want to be there for it.” The guard nodded and led Henry down into the dungeon. There lay one of the most pitiable sights he had ever seen.

Otto was broken, that much was plain. “To think you once led armies against me.”

Otto turned and looked up. “it was not me! The Pope-“

Henry cut him off. “Yes, Innocent is not quite innocent here. But, I do not have him. ” Yet, thought Henry.

“Otto will merely suffer a fine and lose Prague. But you have tried to usurp the Empire while I was on the holy crusade. If you wish to wear a crown that much, so be it.”

Otto looked up. What could Henry possibly mean? It took Otto, deprived of food and sleep, a few seconds to realize what was about to happen. It was not until he felt the pain that he realized what was going on. A red-hot crown of iron, Henry’s favorite way of dealing with rebels, was placed upon his head.

The screams, it would be said, were heard in Augsburg.

March, Nuremberg, 1200

Ottokar stood kneeling before the Emperor, begging forgiveness. Behind the Emperor, the True Cross was mounted. A nice touch, that.

“Ottokar, I forgive you for what you have done. You were led astray by the traitor against God, Otto of Saxony. He has been judged by a higher power than even I, but you have time to amend your errors.”

Henry smiled. Now Germany was his at last! In the aftermath of victory, he had expanded his rights over Germany. He had inherited the fiefs of the Welfs, with the death of their line; he had declared that his main court in Germany would be in Nuremberg; he had confirmed his taxation of the peasantry; and he had showered the towns with privileges. The Hohenstaufen Demesne now covered much of Western Germany, and who would dare argue with the Prince of Peace, the King of Jerusalem, the Augustus, about what was his?

“Know that I have never set out for personal ambition. I merely hope to restore the grandeur of the Roman Empire. There is but one step before us, and that task will be complete. I ask you, Ottokar, to join me in this noble endeavour.”

Rome, April, 1200

The messengers had crossed the Alps as quick as they could. Innocent was rather amused by the Emperor’s actions. Wasn’t he aware that Saxony was actually a Papal fief going back to Charlemagne [16]? And to torture and kill a vassal of the Pope without his consent… well, those were not the actions of a true Emperor.

[14] Frederick was taken to Germany to be coronated as King of the Romans in 1197 by Phillip.

[15] Frederick II missed an opportunity to make a strong ally for the Hohenstaufens when he handed control over the cities to various princes. Henry will be in Germany more often, and will not make the same mistake.
(Which could be interesting; his proclamation of 1220 makes reference to the cities taking their hinterland like in Italy. I wonder how muc h farther that could go.

[16] The Church did claim this, based upon donations to the Church done in Saxony.

Last edited:

1-its very good as is.
2- I don't know enuff about the period to comment on the history.
3- I don't want to interupt the creative juices.

Chris

Banned
Ok, ok, I just read it.

I like the conflict between the emperor and the pope. Natually, this will develop into open conflict at some point, and then Henry would probabuly win. (is henry above assassinating the Pope?) On the other hand, if Henry is draining away the churches revenues, Innocent (hah) might have to give in and acknowledge the seperation of church and state. Might get early Prostostants out of this.

On the other hand, Henry might have to keep fighting to defend the church. The Cathars might get attacked, the Muslims, the Russians, outbreaks of hearsay - if Innocent is willing to gamble, he might tell henry to attack whoever he considers a foe - or else have his money cut off. Of course, Henry could still take rome, but that might well shock many people.

If possible, could we get a map for the final version?

Chris

Faeelin

Banned
Chris said:
Ok, ok, I just read it.

I like the conflict between the emperor and the pope. Natually, this will develop into open conflict at some point, and then Henry would probabuly win. (is henry above assassinating the Pope?) On the other hand, if Henry is draining away the churches revenues, Innocent (hah) might have to give in and acknowledge the seperation of church and state. Might get early Prostostants out of this.

No, Protestants are pretty unlikely. Some form of schism, though... yes.

Map will come around 1240.

Faeelin

Banned
Vezeley, March, 1200

The rolling fields of Burgundy were, yet again, covered with a sea of tents and arms. Despite meeting together during a peace treaty which was inspired by the Pope, neither Philip nor Richard trusted each other enough to be near each other without a small army. But despite having met for only a few days, Richard was already tired of this.

He and Philip had met in a central tent, donated by the Pope himself, because there had been an argument over royal precedence. Phillip had suggested he was superior because his Kingdom was not a fief of the Emperor; Richard responded by suggesting his because his was bigger, which, he had said, was something Philip already knew.

Richard had been tempted to leave, but the Legates had convinced him that it would be to his best interest, and Henry’s worst, to stay. Therefore, two days after their first meeting, they met.

“The Pope, I hear, wishes for a marriage,” said Phillip.

Richard looked towards the door. “Oh, is Alais finding her bed lonely? [17].

Philip Augustus, King of France, silently wished he hadn’t agreed to this to have the Pope end his interdict. Why should the Pope be able to tell him who to wed? There were times, really, when Philip wished that he could send troops to kidnap the Pope.

But who could ever imagine a French King doing that? Therefore, he had little choice but to go along with this.

“What do you think of a marriage between Eleanor and Louis?” [18]

Richard pretended to think about it. “On one condition. You must give support to John. He will march to rally the Welf allies in northern Germany, to support him as the new Emperor.”

Phillip nearly spat out his wine. A Plantagenet Emperor? Brilliant. How long would it take before they all marched on Paris? On the other hand, he knew John. The poor fool couldn’t even rule England! He would distract Henry from doing something foolish, surely? He could then gain influence in Flanders, and then turn the tables on Richard.

“Well, now, it depends. Perhaps a campaign in 1202 might be doable….”

Richard laughed. “Yes, yes. We must wait until after the crusade! The Pope has called for his own crusade to free Egypt!”

Phillip stared at the Legate. Yes, he definitely could sympathize with Henry.

Nuremberg, May, 1200

Irene looked out the window of the castle, as she was wont to do at night. Far to the south and east, beyond what she could ever hope of seeing, lay her home She had been here in Germany for years. Oh, she loved her husband, and the Germans had their endearing qualities. But how could a castle compare to the City? How could she be happy knowing her poor father was blinded and rotting in some dungeon?

Her husband Phillip came up behind her, and held her, as he had for many nights when she looked out towards Constantinople. He smiled. “I know you miss your home, dear. But I promise you you’ll return, and this time, you’ll stay.”

[17] Alais is Philip’s half sister, who was, at various times, to be wed to Richard and John, and was bedded by Henry II. She was also imprisoned by Eleanor She’s married by this point, but Richard just feels like giving Philip a hard time.

[18] Eleanor of Brittany, not Eleanor, Richard’s mother . Louis is Philip’s son.

Faeelin

Banned
Palermo, June, 1200

Markward paced back and forth. The Emperor’s orders were tiresome. He had made him build an ever fleet before traveling back across the Alps, and for what? He’d only made some vague comments about Egypt or the Almohads. But a fleet wasn’t cheap, and he’d been able to make depressingly little money off of the island.

What use did the Emperor have for this massive fleet, and why was he in negotiations with Pisa? Really, thought Markward, as he listened to the Jews going over the state of the Kingdom, it made no sense.

Just then, a messenger ran into the throne room. Clearly the poor man was tired; it was a long journey from Germany, and he wore the Hohenstaufen livery. Henry must not have trusted anyone else with it.

“My Duke! There is a message from the Lord Emperor, for your eyes only!” Henry grabbed the letter, and tore it open. After a few lines, he started laughing. “That does explain it all!”

November, Nuremberg, 1200

German halls were interesting places. A lord’s duties included making sure that everyone had plenty to drink. A German lord’s duties involved making sure everyone was drunk. Which, combined with Papal delegates and the fact that many of those men were armed, could be a problem. For they had made the mistake of announcing their superior’s policy during one of the feasts to celebrate the Empire’s triumphs.

It was really their fault, thought Henry. They shouldn’t have declared an interdiction. “Put the swords down. These are men of the cloth, and they have come here in peace.”

“I will say this, though. I pray for the soul of their lord. He claims suddenly that Saxony is a papal fief. But when did we hear of this? Was it when Henry the Lion ruled Saxony? Was it during the reign of Lothar?” He waited for the German nobles to realize where this was going.

“No! He says this now that I have taken Saxony from a rebel against God! After I have taken lands from a man who attacked me while I was on the Crusade, who, indeed, threatened my son [19].” The Papal delegates, still somewhat stunned, listened to the roar which echoed in the castle.

“What does it mean if Saxony is suddenly a Papal fief? Will Austria be? Or Bohemia? Or perhaps he will decide the entire world is a fief of the Papacy, and threaten us with damnation if we do not jump when he says. Is that becoming of Imperial subjects?”

Henry turned back to the delegates. “Return to Innocent, and tell him that I protest. I demand an ecumenical council to discover the truth of the matter at hand, and I spurn his protest. I shall call a Diet to discover the intent of the Empire, and we shall see what my loyal subjects think.”

Henry sighed. No matter what, it would all be decided by March.

April, Palermo, 1201

Phillip looked at the receding shoreline. The Pisan fleet had rendezvoused with the Sicilian fleet off of Palermo, and all was set for the expedition. The island itself was covered in a security blockade, with no ships allowed to set sail for a month. Now, at long last, the men could know their true target. He looked across the decks, which were crowded with the men of Germany and Sicily, still getting used to the sea.

“We are not going to Egypt. We are off to Byzantium!”

Constantinople, May, 1201

The ramparts towered above the Imperial fleet. The sight of the high walls and strong towers which encircled the splendid palaces ands oaring churches, in numbers beyond count, was enough to take a man’s breath away. There was not, Phillip knew, a place as rich and powerful on Earth, nor a place so beautiful. Phillip’s gaze hardened. All the more incentive to take it.

Phillip had landed his army near the palace of Chalcedon to replenish their strength. Even the land was rich; it was a dark, rich earth that smelled of vitality. A man could do great things, here. Great and wonderful things. They had already repulsed a charge of Byzantine cavalry, and now they were awaiting a delegate from Andronicus.

The delegate arrived shortly. To insult the Imperial army, the Byzantines sent a delegate who did not even speak Latin fluently. “You don't frighten us, German pig-dog! Go and soil your bottom, son of a baboon. I blow my nose on you, so-called Phillip-king, you and your silly German kinglets. I don't want to talk to you, no more, you empty-headed animal, food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction!”

Phillip looked at the delegate, and, in perfect Greek, said, “Let me explain this to you. Tell your king that if he will surrender now, I shall be merciful to him. If not, tell him to send no more emissaries, but look to his defense. “ The Byzantine emissary then decided that it was time to leave, posthaste.

The next day, on the morning of May 8, the army crossed the Bosphorus and landed below Galata. Galata was unwalled, but its tower contained the windlass that raised and lowered the chain that could block the Golden Horn. The Byzantines had drawn up a considerable force, but Phillip was ready.

“To me, men of Germany!” roared Phillip, leading the charge against the Byzantines. “Sieg und Heil!”

“Sieg und Heil! Sieg und Heil!”

Thoughts, anyone?

[19] Or so he claims. It’s true that Frederick II was in danger in 1198, but there was never any definite connection to Otto.

Oh, very good, Faeelin! And I must admit I was laughing rather hard, when the Byzantine envoy quoted Monty Python(?); I fart in your general direction... :D

Hope to see more soon!

Regards and all!

- Bluenote.

Faeelin

Banned
Venice, May 24, 1201

Enrico Dandolo swore. He didn’t like the Byzantines, but Venice did excellent business with the Emperor. A German King would not be their ally. But so many Venetians didn’t see past the war they had had with Byzantium! Which was why it was necessary that he give a speech to the people of Venice. In the Cathedral of St. Marks, Dandolo would try to convince Venice to save Byzantium.

“Our ships have seen Pisans and Sicilians under the banner of Henry sailing to the East. What is in the East? Constantinople. Now, I am not fond of that city; but it has been our ally before, and has always been our partner in trade. Now a German seeks to subdue it, and tie it by blood to the Western Emperor. We will find our selves between the Devil and the Sea, in that case.”

“Signors, I myself am old and feeble, I need rest. My body is infirm. But I know, and you know, that no man can lead you and govern you as I, your Lord, can do. If you will allow me to direct and defend you by sailing to Constantinople while my son remains in my place, I am ready to live and die with you.”

Constantinople, May 10, 1201

Galata had fallen; the Byzantine navy, such as it was, was destroyed; But Constantinople still did not surrender. Awakened now to the threat, the city was going to resist.

To that end, Phillip had directed his assault against the sea wall in front f the Palace of Blachernae. Pisan ships, low in the water from the weight of siege engine, bombarded the wall, while the Sicilians and Germans attacked via the land. The Varangians were trying to hold the Germans back, but they could do no more than stem the tide.

Before many hours had passed, almost thirty towers were in Imperial hands. Men were pouring through the ramparts into the city itself. Which was, actually, a problem.

This was his city. It wasn’t some infidel’s city, or a Lombard town that needed to be razed. It was now the property of the King of the Greeks [20], Phillip I. His brother wanted tribute and signs of triumph, but burning down the city wouldn’t do. Looters would have to be brought into line. Remembering that, Henry thought of his wife’s comments on the horses at the hippodrome. Those would look nice in Nuremberg, and should satisfy Henry. But he was not about to carve apart his Kingdom to make some former Welf allies happy.

“Scire te volumnus quod in spiritualibus et temporalibus nobis subes”

We wish thee to know that thou are our subjectin all spiritual and temporal matters-Innocent III.

Nuremberg, May, 1201

Yet again, the nobles and representatives of the towns of Germany arrived in Nuremberg. Many of them were no doubt tired of this, and were getting rather annoyed at the Pope for keeping up this sham. A representative of Frankfurt stood up.

“We forbid the export of precious metals; we forbid the export of weapons; we expel foreign merchants [21]; we stand against his claims to be our overlords. We shall shed our blood so that we remain free of Roman tyranny. We support you, Lord Emperor!”

Henry smiled. It was nice to know that despite the Pope’s lies, the People of the Empire remained loyal to him. Perhaps this council would have a chance after all.

Constantinople, May 28, 1201

Philip sighed. He could get used to the Bucoleon. Silk sheets, incense, marble, gold, silver… the Greek kings certainly knew how to live. Of course, maybe they had too much. He couldn’t imagine a German Emperor fleeing the fall of his empire. Henry got up and went back to work.

The spoils of the city had already been arranged. In addition to tribute, the horses, and an acknowledgement of Henry as the true Emperor, Henry had had one more odd demand. Books, and lots of them.

Henry had come to realize that England had a university, France had universities, and even the Spaniards had a university. But there was no German university; only south of the Alps were there such places of learning. How could the Emperor be the ruler of the world if a single city had more knowledge?

Therefore, the great libraries of Constantinople were to be examined by Germans and Italians, translated, and used to form the nucleus of the University of Frankfurt. He still wondered who these Cynics were, though.

The Imperial armies were spreading throughout the Empire, promising a return to the good days of yore under the daughter of Isaac. There were pretenders in Asia Minor, under a Lascaris, but he should prove easy to deal with.

Even the Patriarch was accepting the new situation. He’d finally left his refuge in Dydmotichum and had attended the coronation, once Philip made it perfectly clear he would accept the Greek rites, while making some vague noises about a council. The Byzantine theory of the Emperor was rather appropriate, actually.

Phillip was finally getting down to writing orders to the army in Thrace when a messenger ran in. Apparently the Venetians wanted to take the city now.

Some one really had to do something about them.

[20] Phillip is the King so as to not conflict with his brother, the true Emperor of the world. To the Greeks he is still the Baesilus, albeit one of the more unpopular ones.

[21] This really hurts the Pope, since the collectors of eccelestial revenue, and those who transport it to Rome, fall into t his category.

Faeelin

Banned
Mr.Bluenote said:
Oh, very good, Faeelin! And I must admit I was laughing rather hard, when the Byzantine envoy quoted Monty Python(?); I fart in your general direction... :D

- Bluenote.

Every ATL in the medieval world needs monty python.

Faeelin said:
Every ATL in the medieval world needs monty python.

I don't think a Crusading army would have what it takes to actually conquer Constantinople; historically, they were only able to do it as part of a faction in a civil war. Actually assaulting the walls... even the Ottomans would have failed if it weren't for cannon, and the Byzantines only had 5-7 thousand troops to defend the entire city.

Are you sure Galata didn't have walls, yet, BTW? Even if it didn't, it was a Genoese city, so attacking it could lead to some complications...

Also, I'm not sure it would be that easy to deal with the Byzantine fleet - in the confined waters of the Golden Horn a numerical advantage is nullified, and there's the whole Greek Fire thing...

At this stage, it might still be possible to repair the schism, and if the emperor's power is greater than historical the Pope will be under some pressure, yet it's still unlikely, since issues of dogma rarely stimulate willingness to compromise.

Faeelin

Banned
Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
I don't think a Crusading army would have what it takes to actually conquer Constantinople; historically, they were only able to do it as part of a faction in a civil war.

Well, the main difference is that this is an army of conquest, and in some ways it can be viewed as a civil war; Phillip does have support due to his ties to Isaac.

Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
Actually assaulting the walls... even the Ottomans would have failed if it weren't for cannon, and the Byzantines only had 5-7 thousand troops to defend the entire city.

You sure? I'm basing this basically on the venetian assault in 1204, and the had no problem taking the walls by sea.

Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
Are you sure Galata didn't have walls, yet, BTW? Even if it didn't, it was a Genoese city, so attacking it could lead to some complications...

Well, norwich and Riley-smith in his history of the crusades agree.

Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
Also, I'm not sure it would be that easy to deal with the Byzantine fleet - in the confined waters of the Golden Horn a numerical advantage is nullified, and there's the whole Greek Fire thing...

You really think so? My understanding is that alexius III sold the rights to produce a navy to venice,and the byzantine navy that remained was nonexistent.

Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
At this stage, it might still be possible to repair the schism, and if the emperor's power is greater than historical the Pope will be under some pressure, yet it's still unlikely, since issues of dogma rarely stimulate willingness to compromise.

Oh, yes, unlikely. I'm thinking that Phillip's heirs might be more Greek than the Greeks.