• Other man

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Henri of Valois, Duke of Orléans

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 1 - The English Channel in October of 1532
Chapter 1 – The English Channel in October of 1532

It seemed like the storm had come out of nowhere. When the King of England had disembarked from Dover onboard the ship The Swallow the weather had been perfectly fine. The newly titled Marchioness of Pembroke, Anne Boleyn had come with him on the trip that was supposed to head to Calais where they were to meet the King of France. The purpose of the meeting was for Henry to gain support for his Great Matter, his annulment from his Spanish wife, Catherine of Aragon. During their twenty-three years of marriage only one child had survived infancy, a daughter. Mary Tudor was now a sixteen-year-old girl and the heiress presumptive to England. The king wished to marry Anne instead in order to conceive a son and heir to secure the Tudor line. His Spanish wife had the support of the Emperor, Charles V, also king of Spain and the fight had started in 1527. Henry already had a bastard son, Henry Fitzroy, who’s mother was Bessie Blount. His goal was to ensure that Anne would give birth to a legitimate Prince of Wales. In order to do that, he needed to annul his marriage to Catherine.

The King and his entourage never reached Calais. The storm that blew into the English Channel took the ship by surprise. The sailors onboard struggled to keep the ship from afloat, while high waves crashed into the deck and into the compartments inside. Both the King and Marchioness were drenched from the water that gathered in their cabins, while clothes and jewels flew all over the rooms. The coffer with the Queen’s jewels had been handed to Anne with great reluctance by Catherine, as Henry had wished to give them to the woman he intended to supplant her as Queen of England. The new gowns and jewels were meant to show off Anne’s status before France. Both fabric and jewels would sink into the sea along with Anne Boleyn, the Queen to be, or as she would be known to history, The Queen who never was.

1681572594993.png

Henry VIII of England and Anne Boleyn who perished in the storm in the English Channel

And so did Henry VIII, King of England, the second monarch of the Tudor Dynasty. The quest to annul his marriage had led to his death in the cold and dark waters in the Channel. It would be his sole daughter, Catherine’s only surviving child who ultimately would succeed him as Monarch, becoming by the Grace of God, Mary I of England.

Author's Note: So I had a idea of writing a timeline where this scenario happened. No Queen Anne, no Elizabeth and Mary becomes queen of England earlier. I have a vague outline of where I want this to go, so any help will be graciously received. I know the chapter is rather short, but hopefully the next ones will be longer. Credit to @isabella for helping me brainstorm.

You said it girl! Specially if it comes with the Tudor dynasty continuing!
Yes, it will continue with Mary and her heirs!
Ooh, I love it!!! Catherine is going to get a much happier ending here. I wonder who Mary will marry?
Catherine is gonna be able to die knowing her daughter has the throne in a safe grip. And as to who she will marry, lets see what the future brings.
Oh my god YES
Yes indeed! Team Mary over hear!
She could marry James V and thus bring about the union of the crowns early.
The question is: would James want to marry her?
Let's hope that the Tudor Charm and a little politcal preassure can do the trick.
pretty unlikely they would work here in my opinion but @BlueFlowwer could have different ideas from mine…
True, but i really want to see the British isles united.
Mary has several suitors for her hands as the most eligible bride in christendom! Marriage shenanigans will ensue later!

You can bet that Catherine of Aragon is gonna pounce on this opportunity to declare her daughter the true Queen and that the Boleyns were devils who lead a beloved king to his death in order to grasp the throne and usurp the true and royal blood.
Yessir! NEVER mess with a Trastamara, Peter I learned that the hard way with his half-brother Henry II.

Last edited:
You can bet that Catherine of Aragon is gonna pounce on this opportunity to declare her daughter the true Queen and that the Boleyns were devils who lead a beloved king to his death in order to grasp the throne and usurp the true and royal blood.
If she is smart Catherine will keep her mouth shut on the circumstances of Henry‘s death and what were his plans as that would definitely NOT help Mary to take and hold the Crown.