The Unexpected : Louis XII's heir (reboot)

Here is the reorganized version of UTL (Unexpected Time Line) on the alternate timeline resulted from the birth of Louis XII's son. I decided to rework some parts (and details) as I found them a bit lacking. Those who have already read the first attempt won't be lost, but they won't exactly see the same thing.
Each thread will be descriptive as I don't feel good enough to attempt narrative thread and will focus on a thematic and chronological approach : they will depict the key points of this alternate reality in a precise period and on a precise territory. I will attempt to develop in a serious way this TL.
I will publish each thread in a fortnight, both to allow me to develop the thread in a satisfactory way without going in a rush and to be able to exchange with each of you on the subject of this timeline. I have ideas on the way it will evolve but I like exchanging with those who are interested in this tale both to be able to develop this TL in a satisfactory way and to debate on it.
I hope this will be interesting both for you and I.

November 1514-July 1515 : pregnancy’s time

November 1514-July 1515 : pregnancy’s time

In December 1514, Louis XII learns that his new wife, Mary Tudor, is pregnant. This is joyful news for him as he expects to have a heir to succeed him on the throne. Unfortunately, his frail health fails him in the last days of December and he dies on January 1st 1515. As a result, in waiting his child’s birth, it is his presumptive heir, Francis of Angouleme, who becomes the regent as Mary can’t handle it because of her pregnancy. It is the second time that the kingdom of France knows a pregnancy regency since Clementia of Hungary’s pregnancy in 1316.

Francis is then the most powerful man in France. Not only he is the presumptive heir, but he also controls the duchy of Valois through his status of heir and the duchy of Brittany jure uxoris in the name of his wife, Claude of France, the daughter of Louis XII and Anne of Brittany. It arouses the protests of the Breton lords who denounced the disrespect of the marriage contract of Anne of Brittany with the previous king as it stipulates that Renee of France, Claude’s sister, is the one who should inherit the duchy. These protests aren’t long because of the strength of Francis and because the possibility that Mary gives birth to Louis XII’s son may cancel this condition as it only applies if Claude of France becomes queen of France.

During his regency, Francis rules in order to strengthen his position and to prove to the other lords that he would be a great king. And should Mary give birth to a son, he will be powerful enough to be part of the regency, either as his head or as a strong advisor. To achieve it, he will confirm the creation of the Parliament of Normandy, naming his brother-in-law, Charles IV of Alençon, as governor of Normandy, and rising taxes or selling lands to his relatives and friends in order to solve the debts which resulted from the Italian Wars and which were worsened by the curtailing of the taxes by his predecessor. That also allows him to strengthen his position through a network of allies.

On the diplomatic field, Francis takes a temperate position to reassure the different sovereigns, especially in Italy. The former members of the Holy League (1) will receive the news of Mary’s pregnancy and the ensuring regency with relief as it will stop for a while the French ambitions in Italy. All hope for the birth of a boy as it would mean a longer regency and a lesser French Influence in Italy. This respite is welcomed by Maximilian Sforza, duke of Milan, as it allows him to marry Bona Sforza, his cousin, to strengthen his legitimacy as duke of Milan. For others, however, the French regency is a disaster, even if they hope that Francis will become king: Venice and Navarre. Charles of Ghent is sending representatives to ask to the regent to acknowledge his claim on the Spanish crowns. It results in the Treaty of Paris which signs an alliance between Francis and Charles of Ghent, the first acknowledging the claims on Spain of the latter, while Charles acknowledges Francis’s claim on Milan, should Francis become king.

Francis also confirms the Treaty of London of August 1514 in order to keep good relations with England. The English king, Henry VIII, watches with interest the French situation as his sister may give birth to the future king of France.

Francis finally allows John II Stewart, duke of Albany, to come back in Scotland to take his mantle of regent for James V, as having an ally in Scotland is strategic. He arrives in June 1515 in Scotland and manages to fortify his position, in spite of Margaret Tudor’s defiance in Stirling.

(1) The Holy League has been created in 1511 by pope Julius II to fight against Louis XII's growing ambition in Italy. With the end of the Fourth Italian War, the death of Louis XII and the incoming regency, the alliance is dissolved.

Last edited:
I write this both to inform that the second thread of this TL 2.0 will be published this week-end and to discuss about one subject that will be tackled in this thread : the Hungarian War in the 1520's.

With what has been written in the first version, with the information I read or discussed on this forum or in different sources in books or Internet, I found out many facts that I want to discuss in order to develop in an interesting and relevant way this conflict. While I have ideas on the matter, I also find interesting to see how you think on these matters as discussions broaden perspectives and reflections on these subjects.

The different points I have thought on concerning the Hungarian conflict ITTL are the following :
- without the rivalry between Francis I and Charles V, it is likely that the Habsburg would bring their military strength against the Ottoman earlier than IOTL, especially since Louis II of Hungary is the brother-in-law of Charles V and Ferdinand of Habsburg ;
- the possibility of a Christian coalition against Suleiman is more likely than IOTL as the bone of contention between some realms are less numerous (or don't exist for different reasons), though not all Christian territories will go to war for different motives ;
- alliances of this kind, while powerful, tend to be weakened because of the diverging interests of the different partners and because of rivalries between their leaders (IOTL, the Holy League of 1570 was weakened because of the enmity created by Don Juan, especially after the victory of Lepanto and the Holy League of 1538 was dissolved because of Venetian unsatisfied claims) ;
- "Holy Leagues" depends upon the commitment of the Pope on these matters and as Leo X would die in a similar period as IOTL, that means it will depend on his successor(s)'s interest in the fight against the Turks (and while it was a very huge matter in this time, the fact that the conflict in Hungary occurs in the same time Reformation is rising means that papal attention might be diverted) ;
- while a Christian alliance against him would limit the extent of his expansion in south-east Europe, Suleiman seems to be a great military leader, with competent and efficient commanders and a remarkable army in this period ;
- Hungary seems to be plagued by corruption and divisions within its nobility and Louis II doesn't seem to have the skills to be able to handle the Turkish threat while the military defences seem to fall apart (Belgrade or the fact many fortresses fall to the Turks during the 1521 and 1526 OTL campaigns).

There is also the uncertainty of Louis II's fate : IOTL, he dies in the battle of Mohacs as he falls from his horse while trying to flee the battlefield. As these circumstances are peculiar and accidentals (but events in History results of these accidental coincidences), there is great possibility that he would survive longer than IOTL. But what would that mean for his kingdom ? And what would that imply for the conflict with the Ottoman Empire ?

With all these facts (and I know there are others I didn't found), how do you think the Hungarian conflict would occur (leaving aside the first draft of this conflit in the first version of this TL) ?

Interesting concept for TL, subscribed.

With a better claim and probably even have the capability to hold Milan should they capture it, I wonder where the French will focus on next.

Interesting concept for TL, subscribed.

With a better claim and probably even have the capability to hold Milan should they capture it, I wonder where the French will focus on next.
Milan is unlikely to go to the French and here Maximilian Sforza was the one to reinforce his claim marrying his cousin instead of losing his Duchy.

Honestly, the thought of a Tudor-Valois prince is fascinating. Does he marry IOTL's Mary I to secure both claims to England?
No way. If anything else that would play in favour of James V of Scotland’s suit of OTL Mary I (as he had the best make claim) unless the latter’s younger brother Alexander of Ross survived or Margaret Tudor (Henry VIII’s sister) had a son by her second husband

Milan is unlikely to go to the French and here Maximilian Sforza was the one to reinforce his claim marrying his cousin instead of losing his Duchy.

No way. If anything else that would play in favour of James V of Scotland’s suit of OTL Mary I (as he had the best make claim) unless the latter’s younger brother Alexander of Ross survived or Margaret Tudor (Henry VIII’s sister) had a son by her second husband
I mean, James V and Mary marrying means earlier union of the crowns. That would be interesting. I doubt Margaret would have son with second husband seeing as her child mortality rate was also garbage

I mean, James V and Mary marrying means earlier union of the crowns. That would be interesting. I doubt Margaret would have son with second husband seeing as her child mortality rate was also garbage
It would depend on the fact that Mary remains heiress to Henry VIII and that is linked to the way Henry would handle his matrimonial and heir matters. And I don't see Henry VIII marrying his (currently) sole child to James V, as he would prefer seeing the union of Scotland and England to his advantage (a bit like IOTL, where both he and Edward Seymour would attempt in the 1540's in marrying Edward VI to queen Mary Stuart). If he has other children (and more importantly, sons), the question of a possible marriage between Mary and James may be raised.
However, that doesn't mean Henry VIII wouldn't attempt to use the new situation to his advantage to increase his influence on Scotland through his sister and James V's mother, Margaret, and her husband Archibald Douglas.

It would depend on the fact that Mary remains heiress to Henry VIII and that is linked to the way Henry would handle his matrimonial and heir matters. And I don't see Henry VIII marrying his (currently) sole child to James V, as he would prefer seeing the union of Scotland and England to his advantage (a bit like IOTL, where both he and Edward Seymour would attempt in the 1540's in marrying Edward VI to queen Mary Stuart). If he has other children (and more importantly, sons), the question of a possible marriage between Mary and James may be raised.
However, that doesn't mean Henry VIII wouldn't attempt to use the new situation to his advantage to increase his influence on Scotland through his sister and James V's mother, Margaret, and her husband Archibald Douglas.
Which is why Henry likely would ship his daughter off to Scotland...since England was powerful and Scotland, then, was not...

Which is why Henry likely would ship his daughter off to Scotland...since England was powerful and Scotland, then, was not...
True. But would he do it when Mary is still his sole child or when he finds a solution to his "Great Matter" ? While his kingdom is more powerful than Scotland and won't face French threat for a while, I don't see him taking the risk to marry his daughter (at least in the eve of the 1520's) since he was wary of the stability of England should he be suceeded by a daughter. Besides, IMO, Henry VIII tries to fortify his line, especially since he is the sole surviving Tudor male. Unless he sees advantage in the marriage (or at least, the betrothal) between his daughter and his scottish nephew (or if his advisors manage to sway him on this matter), I don't see him easily deciding this project (plus the fact he was a bit fickle as he was quickly disinterested of the projects he was initially interested in, like the Imperial candidacy in 1519, except if it will allow him to have a heir to strengthen his line and the legitimacy of his dynasty (Anne Boleyn)).

I don't deny the political advantages of a marriage between Mary and James V, especially ITTL, but with what I know of Henry VIII, such a move won't be easily done without certain conditions.

True. But would he do it when Mary is still his sole child or when he finds a solution to his "Great Matter" ? While his kingdom is more powerful than Scotland and won't face French threat for a while, I don't see him taking the risk to marry his daughter (at least in the eve of the 1520's) since he was wary of the stability of England should he be suceeded by a daughter. Besides, IMO, Henry VIII tries to fortify his line, especially since he is the sole surviving Tudor male. Unless he sees advantage in the marriage (or at least, the betrothal) between his daughter and his scottish nephew (or if his advisors manage to sway him on this matter), I don't see him easily deciding this project (plus the fact he was a bit fickle as he was quickly disinterested of the projects he was initially interested in, like the Imperial candidacy in 1519, except if it will allow him to have a heir to strengthen his line and the legitimacy of his dynasty (Anne Boleyn)).

I don't deny the political advantages of a marriage between Mary and James V, especially ITTL, but with what I know of Henry VIII, such a move won't be easily done without certain conditions.
Quite easy. Look what happened IOTL when Mary married Philip, also a foreign king? She had a contract. She can just sign something similar here. OR, if Alexander of Ross survives, just ship him off to Mary instead...

Quite easy. Look what happened IOTL when Mary married Philip, also a foreign king? She had a contract. She can just sign something similar here. OR, if Alexander of Ross survives, just ship him off to Mary instead...
Yes, it's true. However, the circumstances are quite different :
_ OTL Mary was the ruling queen in 1554 and can decide who she will mary (with or without the guidance of her advisors)
_ Philip wasn't king in 1554 (however, he begins to succeed to his father Charles V in many of his positions in 1555 and finally in 1556, so this argument is the weakest)
_ Mary wanted a poweful ally as her position remains thin, both because of the attempt of the Grey to take power (Jane of nine days in 1553) and the fact that Reformation is strengthening in England while she wants to restore Catholicism. Charles V and his son Philip were in her perspective ideals to help her
_ IMO, there is also the personal feelings of Mary in her matrimonial choice : she she was faithful to her late mother's memory since the events of the Great Matter and the death of Catherine of Arago in 1536 (and the fact some people of her time accused her of being more Spaniard than Englishwoman might be a reflection of her personal vision of the world in the time she became queen). As Philip was the future king of Spain, it was for her in a way a means to have a link to the birthland of her mother (also not the strongest argument as it is a personal interpretation of Mary's motives).

Once again, that doesn't mean a marriage between James V and Mary is not possible. As far as I can think about it, there are (at least) three key conditions :
_ Margaret Tudor and the English party have the strongest influence in Scotland
_ Henry VIII has a son
_ Mary still has royal status

The first is likely to occur ITTL as Albany only has Francis as a French support (queen dowager Mary won't necessarily support him, especially to avoid tension with her brother). The two other conditions are tied as it would depend upon the way Henry has a son (even if the circumstances of the Great Matter won't neccessarily be gathered ITTL, as the main conflict of the time won't happen between the Valois dynasty and the Habsburg and the popes won't inveitably be the same...).

Yes, it's true. However, the circumstances are quite different :
_ OTL Mary was the ruling queen in 1554 and can decide who she will mary (with or without the guidance of her advisors)
_ Philip wasn't king in 1554 (however, he begins to succeed to his father Charles V in many of his positions in 1555 and finally in 1556, so this argument is the weakest)
_ Mary wanted a poweful ally as her position remains thin, both because of the attempt of the Grey to take power (Jane of nine days in 1553) and the fact that Reformation is strengthening in England while she wants to restore Catholicism. Charles V and his son Philip were in her perspective ideals to help her
_ IMO, there is also the personal feelings of Mary in her matrimonial choice : she she was faithful to her late mother's memory since the events of the Great Matter and the death of Catherine of Arago in 1536 (and the fact some people of her time accused her of being more Spaniard than Englishwoman might be a reflection of her personal vision of the world in the time she became queen). As Philip was the future king of Spain, it was for her in a way a means to have a link to the birthland of her mother (also not the strongest argument as it is a personal interpretation of Mary's motives).

Once again, that doesn't mean a marriage between James V and Mary is not possible. As far as I can think about it, there are (at least) three key conditions :
_ Margaret Tudor and the English party have the strongest influence in Scotland
_ Henry VIII has a son
_ Mary still has royal status

The first is likely to occur ITTL as Albany only has Francis as a French support (queen dowager Mary won't necessarily support him, especially to avoid tension with her brother). The two other conditions are tied as it would depend upon the way Henry has a son (even if the circumstances of the Great Matter won't neccessarily be gathered ITTL, as the main conflict of the time won't happen between the Valois dynasty and the Habsburg and the popes won't inveitably be the same...).
Mary being Regent of France would make things for her siblings in England and Scotland much easier and if Henry VIII can get an annulment from the Pope without breaking from the Church, Mary’s royal status will be untouched

Mary being Regent of France would make things for her siblings in England and Scotland much easier and if Henry VIII can get an annulment from the Pope without breaking from the Church, Mary’s royal status will be untouched
Why would Mary being regent of France help Margaret in any way? Scotland and France have alliance regardless of who is ruler...though without Henry constantly fighting useless wars in France his treasury will be in far better shape

1515-1518: Birth of Louis XII’s heir and “dual regency”

1515-1518: Birth of Louis XII’s heir and “dual regency”​

Mary gives birth to a son in late July 1515. He will be named Charles and first known as the Posthumous, the Unexpected or the Miraculous. As he is Louis XII’s son, he is Charles IX of France. He is christened in Easter 1516 in the cathedral of Rheims and has for godfathers Francis and Henry VIII of England while Anne of Beaujeu, Charles VIII’s sister and former regent, is his godmother. His official christening is one of the main events in the decade as the christening of a new king is something exceptional. Many lords of France, but also representative of the neighbouring kingdoms, attend it.

The birth of the king changes the political balance in France. Firstly, Francis remains presumptive heir to the throne, much to his and his mother’s frustration. Secondly, Mary become the new regent in late 1515 as she is the king’s mother and also becomes Renee of France’s guardian. However, because of his role of regent during the first part of 1515 and of his power, Francis of Angouleme (or Francis III of Brittany as he will claim the title) will have a strong part in her Regency council in her first years and influence the French policies. While Mary and Francis will agree with keeping a good relation with England and even being ally with Henry VIII, they will disagree on other points, especially concerning the financial handling, the relation with Scotland or the Italian policy.

Slowly but surely, Mary develops her own power and emancipate herself from Francis’s influence. Among her first allies, there will be the Bourbon as they are both kin to the royal family, but are also wary of Francis’s influence as his mother, Louise of Savoy, has a claim on the duchy of Bourbon. However, the succession issue lessens in the following years as Suzan of Bourbon, Anne of Beaujeu’s sole heiress and wife to Charles III of Bourbon, gives birth to three children between 1516 and 1518, two of whom are sons (though one dies very young). Mary will choose Anne of Beaujeu as her son’s godmother as it will help her to build her alliance with the Bourbon. She will also rely on the former sister of Charles VIII as her political experience will help her to become efficient in her regency. She will begin to overcome Francis’s influence in the policies around 1518-1519 as she would gather allies among the lords and burghers who watch with distrust the strong power of the Valois-Angouleme Party in the court.

With the growth of Mary’s influence in the French court, a strong rivalry appear between her and Francis. It expresses through the disagreement on the political field, but also through the thriving of the cultural life of the royal court as both of them are interested in arts and culture. As a result, they try to attract the most famous artists and thinkers of the time. While the royal court takes benefit of the Italian influence through the Italian Wars between 1494 and 1514, the rivalry between the Queen Dowager and the presumptive heir to the throne fortifies the prestigious and dynamic life of culture within it. It comes to official portraits and redecorating palaces and castles, The Louvre for Mary as she takes residence inside it, while Francis will renovate the family castle in Cognac, but also the Castle of the Dukes of Brittany in Nantes, though the latter also aims to earn the support and loyalty of the Breton vassals.

In the financial field, the rise of taxes will be the first main mean to increase the income of the royal treasury, as Mary has prevented Francis to sell more land from the royal estates. This will be one of the bones of contention between them as the need to increase the wealth of the king and solving the debts will be the main priority in the first years of the Regency. As she develops her influence, Mary suggests other approaches, some inspired by her father’s policies, especially the promotion of trade or the use of Morton’s Fork. Both will be supported, one as peace allow its development for trading and the second is seen as a practical application of Christian charity. There are disagreement between Mary and Francis concerning the priorities in trading. While Mary support the trade with England and Flanders, Francis support trading with Italy, as it would allow France to keep some influence in the peninsula. In the end, both approaches are applied in the incoming years as the context allows them to thrive. Mary gives privileges to the cities who would contribute to trade to push them to thrive more. That will bring to the foundation of Le Havre in the autumn 1516 as Harfleur is silted up and to use the strategic place of the estuary of the Seine. In this trading policy, Mary would emphasize on the need to develop a strong navy. While Francis is reluctant to this policy, he acknowledges it is necessary. All these policies allow the royal treasury to solve its different debt issues before beginning to thrive.

In the diplomatic field, the ties with England are strengthened with the birth of Charles IX and Mary being regent of the kingdom. The alliance that was formalized in the Treaty of 1514 is confirmed and is symbolized by Henry VIII being the young king’s godfather. These ties are emphasized during 1517 Treaty of London during which the Queen Dowager acknowledges the renunciation of her son's possible claims on the duchy of Milan and the kingdom of Naples.
Scotland is on contrary a bone of contention between Francis and Mary. Francis defends Albany’s rights to be regent and the need honour the Auld Alliance, while Mary is more cautious : while she acknowledges the Auld Alliance and sees the necessity of having allies, she doesn’t want the relation with England being wrecked away should her brother sees the renewal of alliance with Scotland as a kind of threat against him. She is also more sympathetic to her sister’s claims as they have similar situations. The situation of her sister would make decide that she won’t remarry as long as her son is not old enough to rule on his own. A compromise is found in the 1517 Treaty of Calais between the three kingdoms as an outcome of the Treaty of London.
Concerning Italy, Mary develops a conciliation policy in order to reassure the Italian states and the Papacy after the years of war in the Peninsula. While Francis is aware that a new war in Italy is unavailable in the short run, he supports the idea to keep influence on Milan and Genoa and finding an ally and partner with Venice. While his views are dominant in the two first years, it withers a bit as Mary learns to emancipate her regency from his influence. The only remaining result is the ties France has with Savoy and the relation that is rebuilt with Genoa since 1517. However, the Regency diplomacy allows France to build back some relation with the Papacy, to have an unsteady relation with Milan and to find an ally in Venice. Mary also develops relations with the Swiss Confederation, though the lack of wars and the influence of the cardinal of Sion, Matthäus Schiner, limit them to diplomatic contacts, especially with the western cantons.
The relation with the Habsburg is peculiar. When Mary becomes the new regent, she confirms the alliance with Charles of Ghent, both because of Francis’s strong influence but also because a good relation with the Habsburg alleviate the threat of war with them, especially as Charles becomes king of Arago and Castile in 1516 after the death of his grandfather, Fernando II of Arago. Through the advices and influence of Francis, Mary agrees to sign an alliance Treaty in 1516 with Charles and Maximilian, officially against the Turks (1). Mary will acknowledge the Spanish claim on Naples and admit their rule in southern Navarre.

(1) IOTL, this treaty has been ratified between Francis I, Maximilian of Habsburg and Charles of Ghent in Cambrai in 1517.

I inform that the third part of the UTL will be published this week-end. It will focus on the trends that feature the events in Europe between 1515 and 1518, mainly the neighbours of France as the aftermath of Charles IX's birth also influence the way the other rulers (Henry VIII, Leo X, Maximilian I, ...) will act during the period.

On another matter, I would like to discuss the case of the Reformation. While the roots of this key trend of our European history are still there as the impact of Charles IX's birth are null, it is its evolution I am interested to discuss in order to prepare the depiction of its UTL version.

As far as I read about the events that are tied to it, and taking into account the obvious consequences of the birth of Louis XII's male heir with Mary of England, here are the main trends I think will be affected (and some of them are tied to others) :
  • Ulrich Zwingli : IOTL, the Swiss preacher and reformer develops his theological views in the late 1510's and in the eve of 1520's, revealing them in 1522-1523 before becoming the reformer leader in Zurich. However, it seems that part of the development of his ideas are tied to the events that affect his lands. Thus, the battle of Marignan seems to have a huge impact on him while the beginning of the sixth Italian War (between 1521 and 1526) contributes to make him revealing his theological thoughts and breaking his ties with Roma. There is also the fact that the Swiss cantons have been in a way divided through Francis I's political moves towards them in 1515 and 1516 as it contributes to fuel his hostility towards the mercenary policies of his countrymen. While I think he will develop his theological ideas, the different sets of circumstances imply that he won't reveal his theological positions in the same circumstances (obviously) but also not in the same exact period (at least one year of delay compared to his OTL life).
  • Ecumincal council : when Martin Luther's ideas spread and are supported by different German princes (and beyond) and the decisions of the Diet of Worms being not implemented concerning the condemnation of the Augustinian monk, Charles V asks for a council to be held in order to tackle the matter of abuses in the Church and answering to the German monk's critics. However, this request was unanswered during the 1520's, mainly because of the sixth Italian War (once again) as the two most powerful rulers of the time in Europe were fighting each other (even if it won't be the last time), but also because Francis I didn't want to support his rival on the matter and because neither the pope nor the cardinals wanted it as they were wary to see a similar situation like what ensued the Council of Constance in 1414-1418 which saw the triumph of conciliarism in the first part of the 15th century. As a result, it is only in 1536 with Paul III that the need of a council is finally answered, even though circumstances would delay it until 1545 (Council of Trent). With the absence of different factors ITTL, I'm not sure such a delay would occur (except if I make one of the ruler going OOC or making ASB events, both of them being not the core of the timeline I'm trying to build). That doesn't mean it will be held overnight ITTL as the reluctance of the pope and of the cardinals are to take into account and some of the circumstances and events of the UTL will impact on when and how it will be organized.
  • The pope : IOTL 1520's, there were two popes (three if we count Leo X, but he dies in late 1521) : Adrian VI (1522-1523) and Clement VII (1523-1534). The first one was a reformer, but didn't take seriously the matter of Martin Luther, just asking the implementation of the decisions of the Diet of Worms. The second is also in a way disappointing as he didn't manage to take decisions to thoroughly tackle the matter (the Great Matter and the English Reformation are in a way symptomatic of his lack of decisiveness in decisions). However, both popes also have the bad luck to have two powerful sovereigns whose ambition and pride make them fight each other twice (1521-1526 and 1527-1529), thus preventing them to contribute to find some ground to tackle the religious issues. In the political matter, Adrian VI wanted to be as neutral as possible (though I suspect the fact that he was Charles V's mentor might have contributed to his papal stance) while Clement VII was closer to Charles V, which doesn't prevent him to be against the Emperor when he saw the latter as a threat for the Church's influence and independence. The sacking of Roma in May 1527 doesn't help the situation. But the choice of these two popes also results from the "international" context of the time : Adrian VI has been elected as he was absent at the time of the conclave in which the vote was stalling between different cardinals while Clement VII was elected thanks to his ties with Charles V and the fact he was Leo X's cousin and has been close to both Leo X and Adrian VI. With the butterfly effects of Charles IX's birth (though I'm trying to keep what I think can still remain the same), the possibility to see these two popes are slimmer, even though Giulio di Giuliano de Medici (Clement VII) remains a strong possibility because of his ties and position. But whoever is elected pope during this TL period won't exactly act the same as he won't be confronted by the conflictual relation between the French monarchy and the Habsburg, which would allow him to handle different matters with less meddling and external influence (reforming the Church, the fight against the Turks...).
  • John Calvin : as France is (one of) the key places of this TL, it is relevant to reflect upon the path of the French reformer that was John Calvin. And compared to the two previous points, his case is even more tied to the context of his time. It seems that his conversion in reforming Christian faith occurs around 1529-1536. While I don't know the exact circumstances (except the fact he made classical studies), the fact that in the end of the 1520's, the demand of reform in the theological and spiritual part of Christianity was strengthening in different parts of Europe (Martin Luther and the support of different German princes to his ideas, the success of Zwingli among a part of the Swiss Cantons, Tyndale's English translation of the New Testament, the rise of the Anabaptism...), that there was a renewal of spiritual faith in Christianity and the fact that the Church was still refusing to handle the issues that were denounced by the reformers (the issue of the council that was tackled before). UTL John Calvin may become a reformer, but that won't be inevitably for the same reasons as it would depends on the way the Catholic church handles the matter of abuses and reforms (i.e if the pope decides to gather a ecumenical council, if he decides to make reforms...). In short, he could be close to his OTL counterpart or being in a way similar to Erasmus and those who wanted to reform the Church but without breaking with the Papacy.
  • Interreligious conflicts : tensions between Catholics and those who support the reformers (Luther, Zwingli, Calvin...) quickly rose IOTL, resulting in different kinds of conflicts, like the Great Peasants War. In a way, the first of the religion wars of the 16th century were in the Swiss Confederation with the two Kapel Wars (1529 and 1531). These conflicts also occur as the papacy didn't manage to handle efficiently the issue (delaying the idea of ecumenical council) and the Christian rulers contribute to fuel the problems, either in supporting the reformers' side (the one that then become protestants) by opportunism, either because they were focused in fighting wars against others (Francis I and Henry II of France) and neglecting the rise of the social impact of the Reformation. And the radicalism of the reformers and their supporters doesn't help matters as it goes against the beliefs and social representation of some parts of the population (if I have to make comparisons, the reformers were in a way like the French revolutionaries). ITTL, conflicts would inevitably occur, but the way the Church (and the papacy) would handle the matter of its abuses and the need to reform itself will influence the way both sides will regard the issues and the way it is tackled. The way the different rulers handle the rise of the Reformation will also affect these conflicts (especially in France as there is a regency and (literally) a new king, which means his stance on religious matters will be influenced by his entourage and the symbols and representations of his time).

I don't mention the case of English Reformation as it is tied to Henry VIII's situation. However, the identity of the UTL pope in the time Henry VIII will decide to annul his marriage may influence the way the Great Matter is handled (as some of you may already known after reading the first draft of the UTL). But even without Henry VIII, the trend of the Reformation was growing in England, especially as part of the English people were looking for new spiritual approaches of the faith and have been influenced by John Wycliffe's ideas during the time of the Great Occidental Schism. Sooner or later, there would be tensions within England for the same reasons there had been in the HRE, in France or in the Swiss confederation (Kapel Wars).

Of course, my thoughts on these matters are not perfect or complete and I like to have an opinion on these different matters that can fuel my reflection on the UTL Reformation. I begin to develop these issues in different parts that will be published in a later time and having other perspectives (opinions and thoughts) on the matter is something I greatly welcome.

1515-1518: New political balance in Christendom

1515-1518: New political balance in Christendom​

The birth of Charles IX and Mary’s regency has an impact in the political balance in Christendom. The frail balance that was settled with the Peace treaties of 1513 and 1514 which ended the Fourth Italian War is confirmed.

The Habsburg are among those who benefit from the French situation as they won’t have serious rivals for at least a decade or two, which would allow them to fortify their power and influence in Europe, especially in Italy or in Spain when Charles of Ghent becomes king of Aragon and Castile in 1516. Maximilian I takes the opportunity to fortify his position in Verona, a place he took to Venice in 1509 and creating the duchy of Verona in 1518, which allows him to have a foothold in the Italian peninsula. It also allows him to achieve a matrimonial move through his niece, Suzanna of Bavaria, who marries Sigismund I of Poland and Lithuania in 1518. Through the Congress of Vienna of 1515, Louis II of Hungary is betrothed to Mary of Habsburg while his sister is betrothed to either Charles of Ghent or his brother Ferdinand.
Before his death, Fernando II of Aragon benefits from the French succession as it gives him the opportunity to force Navarrese to acknowledge his control of the southern part of their kingdom.
Charles of Ghent fortify his ties with France, but also follows his aunt’s advice and build ties with England (1) which concludes with the Treaty of Dover in 1517 in line with the Eternal Peace signed in London the same year.

In England, Charles IX’s birth is greeted by Henry VIII both in joy and envy, as he is happy that his favourite sister has a royal child while it reminds him that he doesn’t have any heir in spite of his wife’s four pregnancies since their marriage. The birth of his daughter Mary in February 1516 assuages only a bit his bitterness and envy as he still doesn’t have a male heir. The fact he has been chosen to be the new French king’s godfather makes him travel to France and become the first English king to be in Rheims. It also allows him to meet again his sister and to show his prestige and strength. In the following years, he strengthens his ties with France and relies on his new chancellor, Thomas Wolsey, to achieve it, especially since the man was the one who contributed to the 1514 Treaty of London. The English king and his chancellor also decide to be the champion of a diplomatic path valuing peace between the countries and preventing wars. Their approach results in the Eternal Peace Treaty signed in London in the summer of 1517 between twenty realms and lands, including England, France, Spain, the Holy Roman Empire or the Papacy. The Treaty that is finally signed is a non-aggression pact between the signatories, but also a military alliance as each signatory will help an attacked member. It also helps to solve remaining issues, like the return of Tournai to France by England or the acknowledgement of Maximilian Sforza by the French Regency. These diplomatic moves also result in the nomination of Wolsey as the papal legate in England.

The news of Charles IX’s birth arrives in Scotland in the autumn of 1515. It brings new trouble in Scotland as the birth of the king and the change of regent questions the legitimacy of a French Alliance party. However, while Albany and his allies are in a quandary as they don’t know if Mary will support them, Margaret is not in a better situation as only her new husband’s family and allies support her to regain the mantle of regent. It is worsened by the fact that Margaret learns the news when she arrived in England in September 1515. Both sides are in a stalemate and only a joint mediation of Henry VIII and of the French regency in early 1516 allow them to try finding a solution. In the end, a compromise is found in the autumn of 1516: Albany remains the regent, but a regency council is created in which Margaret can contribute. However, such a solution will quickly find its failures as each side try to be the dominant one in the regency while Albany tries to fortify his position and to renew the Auld Alliance with France. In the end, Albany manages to renew it thanks to the support Francis of Brittany in Mary’s court and the fact that Henry VIII would never marry his current heiress to James V. However, to avoid conflict with Henry VIII as England is officially allied with France, the regent also decides to assuage Henry VIII. Most of the talks occur during the 1517 Treaty of London, but Henry VIII through Wolsey, Mary and Albany signs the Treaty of Calais in the end of 1517 in which Scotland is allied with both France and England, acknowledging Margaret’s role in the regency council while making a promise of betrothal between a French princess and James V. In the same treaty, the idea of a betrothal between Henry VIII’s daughter and a French prince is raised, though it is held back in waiting the birth of Francis’s first male heir. While it settles a bit the Scottish issues on the diplomatic field, it doesn’t prevent the rivalries and quarrels between Albany and Margaret, though the main rivalry is between Albany and her husband, Archibald Douglas.

In Italy, a new political balance is rising. With a lesser French influence in the Peninsula, the Habsburg family and the Pope begin to extend their influence on the other city states. But another actor benefits from the French situation: the Swiss confederate. As they contributed to defeat the Frenchmen in 1512-1513, they become an important actor in the northern peninsula, especially since Maximilian Sforza has to repay them. As a result, while officially independent, the duchy of Milan becomes de facto a Swiss protectorate as the Swiss truly rule the land and determine its policy while controlling strategic valleys like Valtellina. Slowly, it creates resentment among the Milanese population who see them less like allies and more like impending foreigners. Maximilian Sforza however relies on them, employing Swiss as military forces to stabilize his rule. However, as the French threat is weakened, the duke also works to establish new relation with his neighbours and allies. Thanks to the influence of the cardinal of Sion, Matthäus Schiner, it is achieved through the treaty of Bergamo in February 1517. In this treaty, an alliance is acknowledged between the duchy and the Swiss cantons

Genoa benefits from the peace as it allows Ottaviano Fregoso to ensure his rule as the doge of the republic. His policies allow him to be re-elected in 1515 and even in 1517. During his rule, he manages to modernize the port of Genoa and to earn the support of many thanks to his magnanimity. His policies contribute to allow Genoa to rise against, though the struggles between Albergo also thrive through peace. Ottaviano Fregoso strengthens his ties with the Papacy while the French Regency’s policy finally allows him to make his city an important partner of France from 1517.

Venice has to acknowledge the loss of Verona territory to Maximilian I as it is isolated in the diplomatic field. To counter the threat of the Habsburg and the stronger influence of the Papacy, Venice turns to France. The French regency’s policy allows Venice to become a trading partner and becomes its ally in the end of the decade.

The pope Leo X takes profit of the French withdrawal from Italy to strengthen his position in Italy, but also as the head of the Church. Thus, he gets back Parma in 1517 through the Treaty of Bergamo in which he helps the Duchy of Milan and the Swiss Confederation to find a agreement. It allows him to promote his project against the Turks. However, the war of Urbino (3) that occurs in 1517 hinders his efforts to prepare the crusade as it costs money and puts the pope under a bad light (4). As a result, it ruins the diplomatic efforts of Leo X. Moreover, the regency in France and the diplomatic efforts of Wolsey also affect his efforts for the expedition and to be the arbitrary of the conflicts between the different rulers. In the end he acknowledges the Treaty of London with some reluctance, as the mutual alliance between the signatories may be used against the Turks. In 1518, a treaty is signed between Charles I of Spain, Maximilian and him in 1518 in a military alliance against the Turks. During the same period, he is confronted by the rise of Martin Luther who denounces the abuse of the indulgence system. While he first disregards the matter as an imperial issue, he is also determined to see the German monk retracting from his position. But in spite of his papal bull requiring all Christians to believe in the Pope’s power to grant indulgences and the arguments of Cardinal Cajetan who encounters the German monk in Augsburg in October 1518, Martin Luther refuses to retract.

Charles III of Savoy benefits from Charles IX’s birth as it alleviates the French threat on his duchy, especially since Francis’s mother, Louise of Savoy, is his half-sister and claims the duchy as her inheritance. However, he loses in 1516 the support of Leo X with the death of his brother-in-law, Julian of Medici. It forces him to rely on his alliance with the Swiss Confederate, allowing them to fortify their influence on his duchy as the duke has a weak and hesitant personality, especially with Geneva who has a conflict with him since 1513 (5). This growing influence worries the duke, but he can’t decide to choose between France and Maximilian I of Habsburg as one is a regency he may rely on and the other the ruling Emperor of the HRE to whom he has allegiance.

The Swiss also strengthen their ties with Papacy thanks to the work of Cardinal Matthäus Schiner, the mastermind of the alliance with the Papal States. The cardinal of Sion has become one of the key figures of the Swiss Confederation thanks to the success of his diplomatic moves in the Fourth Italian War and its success. During this period, the cardinal encounters Erasmus in Basel in 1515, exchanging with him on the necessity of reforms for the Church. He also develops a correspondence with Ulrich Zwingli, a priest from Glarus he knew since the Fourth Italian War. While the two men disagree on the matter of Swiss mercenary policy, Zwingli being in opposition to the fact Swiss go fighting for others and to wars that aren’t tied to the defence of the land, the two men have in common their support of the papal alliance and the need of reforms for the Catholic Church. Through the letters, they developed a strong friendship. This correspondence keeps on while Zwingli becomes chaplain in the abbey of Einsiedeln. The rise of the Swiss Confederation also contributes to reinforce the ties between the different cantons and with the Three League Alliance.

Navarre is forced to acknowledge the loss of his southern part to Spain. The rise of Henry II who succeeded his mother Catherine I of Navarre in 1517 contribute to create a new dynamic between Navarre and France as Henry II creates ties with Francis in order to win some influence in the Regent’s court that would hopefully allow him to find an ally in the incoming future which allows him to win back the southern part of his kingdom.

(1) IOTL, Charles of Ghent was interested to build some relationship with France when Francis I came to power, while his aunt advises him to build ties with England. With the political situation ITTL, the quandary is less relevant.
(2) IOTL, Leo X supports his nephew Lorenzo's ambition to become duke of Urbino to the detriment of the "legitimate" duke, Francesco Maria I della Rovere. As a result, Urbino is taken in March 1516 to the duke who was also excommunicated. But Francesco Maria della Rovere tried to retake his duchy in using soldiers that had been sent to retake Verona in the context of the War of the League of Cambrai (Fourth and Fifth Italian Wars for the French perspective). ITTL, while the war is over for more than two years, the conflict between Francesco della Rovere and the Medici family can still occur, especially since the duke of Urbino owes to the previous pope, Julius II.
(3) The war of Urbino costs IOTL 800 000 ducats to the pope, which was very costly to his treasury and hinders any project of expedition against the Ottoman Empire.
(4) In 1513, Charles III of Savoy appoints with the papal support his cousin in the position of archbishop of Geneva, creating a conflict that would be solved in the 1520's to his detriment.