The Wild Cards universe

I have suspected since about book Six that the (by now) ex-president of the Unites States, Leo Barnett, is a son of Dr. Tachyon, and a Takhisian/Human hybrid.

Originally I though Blythe (Brain Trust) gave birth to him in the asyleum, but he would not have been able to pass the blood test if his mother was an Ace.

The reasons I believe this: Golden Boy was utterly certain he was using a mind control power on him. Now, Jack isn't a very bright boy. But he does know mind control. Possibly better than any other human being. He lived with the Envoy, whose power could not be turned off.

He hung out with Tachyon who disrespected him enough to casuallly mindcontrol him when irritated. And Blaise. He knows mental control. And he was rock-certain Barnett used it on him.

Second, the vain Tachyon with the enormous ego thought him handsome.

Third, he avoided Puppetmans power like a pro.

Fourth, he does not seem to age like a human, although it is early to tell. At sixty, he is described as wrinkle-free and young looking to a degree that amazes even Billy Ray. As Tachyon said to Blaise "You will live longer than a human being."

Fifth, he is not an Ace, the blood test was pretty certain.

Sixth, his attitudes are distictly Takisian, once you strip out the religous stuff.

Seventh, the authors use "mentalist" to describe Takisians, as opposed to the "psychics" of the wild card virus.

The character list describes him as, not a "fundamentalist", but a "(funda)mentalist".

Two-terms republican President of the USA, originally got in after the bloodbath at the 1988 democratic convention, where Mackie Messer went berserk, and Tchyon mindcontrolled Puppetman to end his political ambitions.

Had a religous platform where the Jokers were sinners punished by god, but softened it with a sincere "hate the sin, love the sinner" attitude. Recently got into a bit of a scuffle with the Catholic Church.

The Wild Cards series is a collaborative series of alternate history books, with a number of first-rate sci-fi and fantasy authors such as George R. R. Martin, Roger Zelazny etc, participating.
As well as a number of lesser lights.

With a Pod in 1947, it features superpowers and politics, and is currently at 19 books, with another due to hit in december.

The Wild Cards series is a collaborative series of alternate history books, with a number of first-rate sci-fi and fantasy authors such as George R. R. Martin, Roger Zelazny etc, participating.
As well as a number of lesser lights.

With a Pod in 1947, it features superpowers and politics, and is currently at 19 books, with another due to hit in december.

I thought it was 1946. The funny thing is that it wasn't supposed to be set that far into the past. Martin had is friend Howard Waldrop write the intro story about Jetboy. Howard, being himself, went in an unexpected direction...

Could be I misremember the exact date:) I did see Geroge R. R. Martin once write that the whole thing started with a roleplaying game he and some fellow writers were playing:)

The treaty of Jerusalem is also fertile AH material from the series.

Could be I misremember the exact date:) I did see Geroge R. R. Martin once write that the whole thing started with a roleplaying game he and some fellow writers were playing:)

The treaty of Jerusalem is also fertile AH material from the series.

That is how the idea spawned. But as the development into books began, the foundations of the story were changed. George detailed this at a convention earlier this year.