Hey, I plan to have the next installment out soon. However, does anyone have any interesting 80s figures that they are interested in having appear ITTL.

Hey, I plan to have the next installment out soon. However, does anyone have any interesting 80s figures that they are interested in having appear ITTL.
Bruce Springsteen, obviously.

Suppose could also look to see what some of our future presidents OTL are up to.

Usually, it's right wing presidents which are popular as American dystopias. I've never seen a left-wing dystopia for America. That's interesting.

Hunter Thompson, Carl Sagan, maybe Steven Spielberg

LaRouche's brand of insanity is neither left nor right.

He's bounced around, but generally affiliates with left-wing parties. Anyways, even if he could fit a crazy hellhole of any persuasion, left seems at least a bit more appropriate.

And speaking of ideological flexibility, it wouldn't be crazy to see Trump turn up in the late 80's.

Usually, it's right wing presidents which are popular as American dystopias. I've never seen a left-wing dystopia for America. That's interesting.

I guess it's because American left-wingers are perceived as being less inclined to authoritarianism.

Rumsfeld Returns
"This horrific act only redoubles the commitment of the American government towards the defeat of the Iranian rebels. The murder of Caspar Weinberger shows the whole world that General Fallahi has no intention of running a civilized state. American forces will not stop until Fallahi is brought in chains to Tehran to face justice for his terroristic actions."
- President Ronald Reagan, March 18th, 1982

'THATCHER KILLED IN PARIS, HOWE INTERIM LEADER!'
- The Daily Telegraph, March 18th, 1982

"Following the death of Prime Minister Menachem Begin, Deputy Prime Minister Simha Erlich will be acting as Prime Minister and will hold that role until the ruling coalition holds a vote on whether to keep him in that role."
- ABC News, March 18th, 1982

"I want to send a message to the Iranians. They need to know that killing Caspar is too far. We need to crush them. I want Curtis LeMay at the Defense Department. He'll show Fallahi what's what.

Mr. President, with all due respect, I don't think the Senate would accept LeMay. You can get away with a lot, but this will be too far. Byrd might get on board, but the liberals will go crazy and might revolt. LeMay doesn't exactly have a great reputation nationally.

Perhaps Westmoreland..."
- Conversation between President Ronald Reagan and White House Chief of Staff James Baker, March 18th, 1982

'Rumsfeld named new Defense Secretary'
- New York Times, March 20th, 1982

"While the bombing of the Ritz is unfortunate, and the death of Secretary Weinberger is a tragedy, I cannot deny that the talks were not in our favor and without attack, the outcome would have likely been very different, and not in our favor."
- Deputy Secretary of Defense Frank Carlucci to President Ronald Reagan, March 21st, 1982

'Malone wins in Glasgow Hill-Head, Tories hold seat'
- Glasgow Daily Times, March 26th, 1982

'Israel invades Syria: Alleges Syrian assistance in Paris bombing'
- Chicago Tribune, March 29th, 1982

'Michael Jackson shot dead after concert in Los Vegas: Perpetrator in custody'
- Chicago Tribune, April 6th, 1982

"Iranian mountain troops today advanced through the southern Zagros mountains before mounting a raid on Shiraz, where thousands of Iranian prisoners of war are held. While the raid is largely unsuccesful, it has shown that the Iranians still have fight in them."
- David Brinkley, ABC News, April 10th, 1982

"I'm going to Iran."
- Hunter S. Thompson to Jann Wenner, April 11th, 1982

'Intelligence points to Israeli nuclear weapons stored at Sdot Micha airbase near Zekharia. At least ten warheads, mounted on Jericho missiles, are believed to be there. The base is heavily guarded by IDF forces, but in the history of the base, there have been no attacks. The Israeli's are not expecting an attack there. A coordinated attack by the Quds force, the PLO, and Hezbollah has a good chance of taking the guards unaware and storming the base. The base is about 7 kilometers from the West Bank. If warheads could be moved there, and via Jordan to Iran, the presence of nuclear weapons in the Iranian arsenal would dissuade the United States from continuing the war. This intelligence was gained at the loss of scores of Palestinian patriots and it would be betrayal to let this information sit unused.'
- From a Report by Major General to President of the Emergency Council of National Unity Valiollah Fallahi, submitted April 29th, 1982

"The United States is entangled in the most deadly war since the Second World War in Iran. Shipments of weapons and medicine to the Mujahedin have decreased by a large percent since the US invaded Iran. Our forces are on the advance in Afghanistan. This is no time for a weak leader. If Brezhnev does not change his ways, he may find himself out of a job."
- Yuri Andropov to a group of high-ranking co-conspirators, early May 1982

'Peace demonstrations held in Washington: Jackson, McGovern, Springsteen attend'
- Miami Herald, May 15th, 1982

"I ask the President to seek peace in the Middle East. The war, as it stands, is unsustainable, and is leading simply to more death and violence. The end goal will be the total devastation of all land from the Mediterranean to India. Millions of people will lie dead - and for what? The United States needs an honorable peace that will give an example to the world."
- Representative Pete McCloskey (R-CA), May 16th, 1982, in a speech at the Washington Peace Demonstrations

"I can't hold the party together forever. Trent tells me that there are many that will follow McCloskey and join a peace faction. Something needs to be done, and quickly. On the current trajectory, our party is set to lose dozens of seats."
- House Minority Leader Bob Michel (R-IL) to White House Chief of Staff James Baker, May 21st, 1982

finchrumsfeld82].png

An infobox of Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld as of 1982.

Last edited: