War of the Wrestling Billionaires

PoDs & Prologue
TL I'm working on, please keep modern politics and such out of this and if you want to help with writing this, please let me know and I'll give you information to help me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the 1900s and 1910s, New York City was one of the biggest cities in the world. The home of the Stock Exchange and many famous businessmen and politicians, it was the economic center of the United States and the World and a very influential city. The story of perhaps the greatest rivalry in sports programming, the Great Ratings War between the Golden Wrestling Federation and World Wrestling Entertainment begins in this city, specifically in May of 1913 when one Roderick James "Jess" McMahon Sr was greeted by a German Immigrant and Businessman by the name of Frederick Trump, a barber and real estate developer that had decided to watch a Baseball Game with his son Fred on that day. Apparently, the idea of an All Black Baseball Team had intrigued father and son alike and they watched McMahon’s Team, The New York Lincoln Giants, easily squash their competition. [1]

The meeting between the two men would lead to a healthy friendship as the Trumps and McMahon became even more interested in cooperating with one another to ensure each other’s financial success. The two men became increasingly close friends and in 1917, the young Fred was able to view a Professional Wrestling Match hosted by his father’s friend, who he personally saw as a close uncle-like figure. This would increase as Frederick took up and offered Jess the idea of him building a small venue in New York specifically for his Professional Wrestling when he had the funding for it, to which Jess accepted all while Fred grew interested in the sport more and more, declaring his intentions to become a Pro-Wrestler at 27 once he built business experience by working several small time jobs so when he succeeded his father as owner of the Trump Business itself. Around the same time, Jess’ own young son, Vincent, was taking an interest in the family business and was quickly becoming a close friend of Fred. [2]

In 1925, the venue Trump promised Jess was finished and open to be used and while it wasn’t as extravagant as many would’ve wished it could’ve been, it was decent enough for what it was and together, the two friends began plotting out a shared business between the McMahons and Trumps, with the Business being founded in 1926 as the Amazing International Professional Wrestling Association (AIPWA), signing Olympic Wrestlers of Freestyle and Greco-Roman Style as well as Boxers and Football players into the company, training them all in the Art of Professional Wrestling with the first matches taking place from 1927-1929 at the small venue that had been built several years earlier. In 1930, the company introduced their first ever Championship, the AIPWA Heavyweight Championship with Walter Wright becoming the first champion at the end of January following a weekly Wednesday Tournament.

As the Company continued to see massive success during the great depression and expanded with its Real Estate business under Frederick, Fred began a decade-long stint in the company as a Professional Wrestler by the name of Hard Workin’ Fred. In 1942, he’d retired after a leg injury, but he was never a champion during the reign. Despite this fact, he continued to be close friends with the McMahons following Frederick’s death in 1944 until 1948 rolled around. In that year, the Company agreed to join the National Wrestling Alliance, but was stuck at a crossroads. Fred had wanted to go to the West Coast and expand into the Market there, mainly due to the fact that in the mid 30s, Frederick had built the Trump Family a home there and Fred wanted a proper place to base his business with new talent. Meanwhile, Jess and Vincent wanted to dig their heels into the Northeast and stick it out for the Long Haul because of Madison Square Garden. After months of arguing, in January of 1949, both families agreed to split on relatively equal terms, with the AIPWA becoming the Great Pacific Wrestling Federation (GPWF) with Fred as the owner and a commentator while the McMahons would keep some of the wrestlers and the New York owned parts of the business and become the Capitol Wrestling Corporation.

Over the Next 27 Years, even following Jess’ death in 1954, the two promotions would remain closely intertwined rivals as they both expanded into the country, taking up wrestlers from other promotions as they continued the march inside, such as Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Ted Dibiase, Andre The Giant, and many other talents for the newly rebranded World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) while the GPWF acquired such names as the Von Erichs, the Ortons, Bruiser Brody, Abdullah the Butcher, the Funks, and several other names with hopes to build both of them up. As the combat between the two heated up, both promotions would Leave the NWA in the 1950s at around the same time and would push newer stars to the moon, though the GPWF was stubborn and had its Heavyweight Champion, Ed Don George, continue to retain the belt he had held since 1948 despite it being his third reign.

The Trump Family would continue to slowly expand into Wrestling as the second son, Donald, took interest and became Magnificent Don in the Ring from 1964-1976, retiring to take control of the Trump business after Fred made him President of the family owned business, though he had his younger brother Robert be owner of the Golden Wrestling Federation in kayfabe while he took on the role of Ring Announcer and Commentator. Under Donald, and with the steady guiding hand of his brothers and father, Trump was able to ensure a successful company known as Trump Enterprises As the 70s moved into the 1980s, Donald would grow the business slowly and strongly and incorporate more and more of the wrestling world into the GWF while rebasing it in San Antonio, Texas. Then, as 1979 slowly came into 1980, Donald began to plan an event that would change the wrestling world forever.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] - First PoD. Both men were in New York and were New Yorkers themselves, but I guess they never met because the city is so big. Here they do and they develop a tight-knit friendship.

[2] - Second PoD. Frederick doesn't die when he did IOTL from influenza, so Fred has that hard work ethic he had growing up, but is also able to grow a hand in the wrestling business.

If anyone wants to help me with building a proper roster for the GWF and such, please let me know as I'm afraid I'm not as much as an expert on the 1980s and such, please lmk and I'll start a discussion with you. As time goes on, I have some ideas for specific stars (I already have two in mind, one to be the GWF's Hogan and one to be their Rock), but as for now, I'd like any help if need be. And also, please don't be a Smark with roster ideas.

Anywho, thank you for reading this, don't get all political with this considering the PoD is about 100 years in the past and things such as personality and such could be very different from OTL. This was just a short snippet as I want to quickly get to the good place, the 1990s, as soon as possible. Until next time, everyone.

For those interested in contacting me to help me with this TL or something else, please just send me a friend request on my Discord - IzuTogaTrash#2178 . I'll be willing to listen to anyone (as long as they aren't a (s)mark and they understand that offensive things helps ratings) willing to help me out and I have a modern idea for a 5 year storyline involving the Fiend for those that want to hear it.

Can't wait to hear more opinions from all of you. Thanks!

The 1980s in the Golden Wrestling Federation
With the coming of the new decade, the owner of the Golden Wrestling Federation, Donald John Trump Sr. (He already had three sons born (Don Jr, (1970), Eric (1974), & Barron (1977) and two Daughters (Mary (1972) and Susan (1979) with his then wife at the time, former ring announcer Georgina Trump (nee Willis)), wanted to introduce a new era for the Professional Wrestling World. Having the business in his blood, Donald was extremely passionate in the idea of making his promotion go mainstream and acceptable for everyone to watch. He first needed a place to set it up for, which, as it turns out, he did after he was able to purchase a large area of land in San Francisco and began construction on a massive stadium called Levi's Stadium in 1972 with assistance from his father. He had also done this in San Antonio, Miami, Detroit, and Chicago, though those were less important and were still in construction to Levi's Stadium, which was finished in 1979 and allowed to host a baseball game and football game in that year for Trump to soak up revenue and recoup his losses from building the Stadium, which was designed to hold at most 45,000 people.

With a place ready, he then set up a date, being July 6th, the first Sunday of July, and then came up with the name FreedomFest, a reference to the prior Friday being July 4th, Independence Day in the United States, to market the event to anyone who was interested before he began to promote his talent to the City at large, with promises of having the Von Erichs go after the USHC (David) held by Ed Don George and Tag Team Titles (Kevin & Kerry) held by Umanosuke Ueda and Strong Kobayashi, Bob Orton Jr. going after the International Championship held by Luke Graham, and Chabelo Ramero going after the Queen's Championship held by Judy Gable. Trump used connections and his friendships to bring actors like Clint Eastwood in to draw media attention to the event even more while also placing billboards and having every star involkved in the evnt go on interviews in such a way that it generated a massive amount of buzz regarding what was coming forth. Around the same time, Trump would change the name of the promotion from Great Pacific Wrestling Federation to the much more regal sounding Golden Wrestling Federation and changed the designs and names of Titles, with the GPWF Great Heavyweight Championship becoming the GWF United States Heavyweight Championship, the GPWF Western Championship became the GWF International Championship, the GPWF Western tag team Championships becoming GWF World Tag Team Championships, and the GPWF Queen's Championship became the GWF Queen's Championship

When the day of the event came, 39,743 people had showed up in attendance, buying tickets that were around $15 per person and it had even gotten the attendence to be broadcast on CBS, though it would mainly be the title matches, especially with Eastwood being backing the Erichs at ringside and Barbra Streisand backing Ramero in her title match. The 7 matches of the event would begin with Giant Haystacks facing off with Don Kent in a Bodyslam v Career Match with the stipulation being Haystacks needed to be bodyslammed for Kent to win whereas if Haystacks pinned Kent, Kent must retire. After a two and half minute bout, Haystacks would slam Kent to the mat before pinning him, ending the 57 year old's career/. What followed was a bout between Abdullah the Butcherer and Bruiser Brody in a classic feud match where the Bruiser won.

Then came a $500,000 triple threat match between Dennis Stamp, Dick Murdoch, and Luke Williams where the winner would be gifted half a million dollars by Donald Trump himself. After a 9:47 fight, Dennis Stamp would roll up Murdoch and win with a sneak pin, taking home the cash. Then came the next four matches, with Bob Orton Jr. who would cheat and trick his way into a victory against Luke Graham to win the International Championship after a 5:03 bout. Next came the Tag Team Championships with the well trained and expected Von Erichs winning the titles as Eastwood and the brothers celebrated with the prior champions leaving the ring for retirement, glad to put over two new champions.

Next came the two main events, with Ramero winning the championship over the prior 20 year champion Judy Gable, who retired after the Match. In an event that would be mirrored by future Women's Champion Kelly Kelly in her first win at the main event of FreedomFest XXX (July 5th, 2009) where she won in her hometown of Jacksonville, Florida after beating Ashley Massaro, Layla El, and former champion Maria Kanellis (The four becoming known as the Four Horsewomen of Women's Wrestling) for the GWF, she surfed the crowd as the audience cheered for her and supported her in her unexpected win over the seasoned champion with her declaring it was a sign of change for the GWF and women in wrestling for the body as Commentator Donald Trump gave her the mic to speak. Finally, David Von Erich would end the 31 year long reign of Ed Don George to hold the GWF United States Heavyweight Championship in a shocking moment to everyone in the arena as adults in attendance had grown up without ever seeing George not be Champion. This was a calculated move, as George had expressed prior to the event that he was interested in finally retiring and wanted to put over a young star, thus having David become the new Champion at age 21.

With the overall success and buzz created from FreedomFest, Donald Trump would see his hopes and dreams realized as Wrestling became mainstream and popular. While many said Vince McMahon had copied Trump in the lead-up to WrestleMania I several years later, it became very clear that this couldn't be any father from the truth with Hogan and Mr. T and Wendi Rogers against Fabulous Moolah, though Trump did clear the way for the WWF to be more profitable than many expected it could've been. From there, the 1980s marched onwards with the five champions keeping their titles for the next nine years, solidifying them as top-level stars and making them individuals you can get behind as Champions. In 1984, the GWF introduced New Year's Judgment on the third Sunday of January, the Brawl-For-All on the 2nd Sunday of April, and Graveyard Mayhem on the fourth Sunday of October to help FreedomFest as PPVs generate more and more traction. While NYJ and GM was similar to FreedomFest, Brawl-For-All introduced a new and interesting concept in a 30-man over the top rope battle royal with the winner getting a shot at the GWF United States Heavyweight Championship at FreedomFest. In 1986, the movie Holiday Combat featuring David Von Erich would be aired to a average reception at the box office while it was also hosted as a PPV, though there'd never be another one like it afterwards.

As the 1980s closed, Trump was able to make an astounding purchase, as the quickly rising Home Box Office company, also called HBO, became one of his properties and a piece of Trump enterprises with him appointing a new board of directors who were wrestling fans in some way, but also had a grasp on television and how it works in 1987 for $632 Million. With HBO behind him and the new decade approaching, Trump began to set everything up for his plan, getting a deal with the city of San Francisco to host a one night event on January 1st, 1990, a monday and the very first day of the new decade, where the man through his brother Robert for Kayfabe purposes promised an amazing event and great night of change for all to see. What many wouldn't expect would be the future of the three largest wrestling promotions and the turns all of them would take in the 1990s and early 2000s to one up one another in the Great Ratings War (1993-2017) that ended with one admitting defeat and moving their brands to another day while the other stood victorous and the last was purchased by the more successful of the two. How the story goes will be one shown to all of you next.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And done with post #2. I'm hoping to get Peacock soon so I can watch the Attitude Era to its fullest and do things as well as understand a certain person's writing, bro. In the meantime, please hit me up with Roster candidates on discord and such, I just need around 50-75 (well, 48-73, as I plan to have Herschel Walker and Terry Crews be big main event draws ITTL).

Also, in the meantime, feel free to guess the ultimate winner of the GWR and contact me on Discord if you want to hear my plans for some storylines, like a Fiend one for 2012-2017.

Lead-up to the Monday Night Wars (1990-1993)
"Live, from the Oakland Arena in San Francisco, it's Monday Night Blitz!" - "Magnificent" Don Trump, color commentator, former Professional Wrestler (1966-1976), and owner of the Golden Wrestling Federation, introducing the first ever episode of Monday Night Blitz, broadcasted live from the Oakland Arena in San Francisco, California on HBO, January 1st, 1990.

On January 1st, 1990, Donald Trump would introduce the world to a weekly wrestling show hosted every Monday in a different arena on HBO : GWF Monday Night Blitz. While inspired by WWF's Prime Time Wrestling on the USA Network, Trump promoted his own stars on the Roster with the hopes that Blitz could quickly and easily surpass PTW in Ratings. It was a very risky gamble, but what was even riskier was two individuals he had debuted on the very first episode of the Night. Throughout the 1980s, many of Trump's biggest stars had been retiring due to age, with his roster looking to eventually wind up with his children and the Erichs, Ortons, Funks, Gino Hernandez, Abdullah The Butcher, and Bruiser Brody. This led to him going into Football to find big names and talents, though many laughed at the idea of joining the wrestling industry as most saw it as Kids entertainment.

Two men, however, agreed to the signing offer - Herschel Walker in 1985 and Terry Crews in 1987. Household names though they may be today, at the time, Walker was known as one of the best College Football Players of all time before his brief stint in the USFL had led to him being briefly forgotten about while Crews was fresh out of High School at age 21 and wasn't that well known of a name. In time, however, these two would be the leading icons of what many dub to the Golden Wrestling Federation's Carnage Era as they became household names admired by fans everywhere.

The first episode of Monday Night Blitz consisted of title defenses across the mat that saw every champion lose the Belt to someone new, with Bruiser Brody winning the USHC from David Von Erich, Terry Funk winning the International Championship from Orton, Hernandez and Rude winning the Tag belts from Kevin and Kerry Von Erich, and Luna Vachon won the Queen's Championship from Ramero, though the main event was Herschel Walker, introduced as Walker, vs Terry Crews, introduced as Nice Terry for a dual debut of both men.

Walker was booked to be incredibly dominant that night, but no one in the arena knew how big this man would be going into the new era of pro wrestling. Throughout the rest of the year of 1990, Monday Night Blitz slowly began catching up to Prime time Wrestling in a so close yet so far situation. However, Trump knew quite well that he still had a second competition to go with Vince's WWF, being Ted Turner's WCW. A primarily Southern based Company, WCW was making a small name for itself compared to the other two big brands and Trump knew that if something didn't happen to them, and fast, then they'd cause major problems for the company as a whole. At the same time, the Donald knew full well that eventually the Television Audience would want something more than just long matches, even with Charismatic stars on the screen.

As 1992 came into focus, he would have two opportunities that would change the wrestling scene forever.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, I was just doing my thing working on paperwork one day when all of a sudden, a secretary came running up to me. She said "Donald wants WCW!" I remember freezing because...why would he do that? Wasn't GWF doing well? And didn't he know that I was very passionate about wrestling myself? I really couldn't believe it, but then I picked up the phone and heard the man's voice myself. From that moment on, I guess you could say it was history…" - Ted Turner, Owner of WarnerMedia

On June 19th, 1992, it was revealed that Donald Trump, after weeks of negotiation, had purchased World Championship Wrestling from Ted Turner for $781 Million, buying out the contracts of 39 individuals, of which he promised each a continuance of work contract of $50k a year until he was confident of who were draws and who weren't. These new stars would make their debut on the June 22nd 1992 Edition of Monday Night Blitz as the newly bought talent was mixed in with the original talent, with Trump taking an almost immediate liking to four men extremely quickly, being Brian Pillman, Cactus Jack, Diamond Dallas Page, and Stunning Steve drew him in as potential top talent for his company as the other older stars began retiring.

However, Donald didn't want any potential push of theirs to seem rushed and so instead continue to push his current big feud, Walker against David Von Erich, as the big draw going into FreedomFest XIII as Walker defended his Great Heavyweight Championship (formerly United States Heavyweight Championship) that he had won the year before at New Year's Judgement in 1991. Since his debut, Walker had become an utter monster of a man, winning every single one of his matches since his debut with the story being if David could defeat the Goliath that was Walker and end his 200-0 winning streak of matches.

The feud would culminate with David pulling off an upset win over Walker, ending his undefeated streak and winning the GHC at FreedomFest as everyone else continued to grow steam going into the next year, where Trump hoped to make those men proper stars in their own right. Meanwhile, Trump had come across who he would quickly realize would be the man he needed to run booking and creative in the back.

"I was really just writing for the magazine of the company at the time I was hired, bro. Actually, quite funny, I was writing for both WWF and GWF at the time because I was a freelance writer, considering I was given the job by good ol' Robert, may God bless his soul, in 1988, and by Linda in 1992. Honestly, I was perfectly happy at my place in the world, but then in October, I can't exactly remember the day, but that day did change my life as I met the boss himself." - Vince Russo, Booker and Writer and Head of GWF Creative (1994-1996; 2000-Present) and WWF Creative (1996-1999), on his promotion from freelance writer to a member of the GWF Creative team in late 1992.

With the hiring of Russo to creative and more stars being signed on to GWF, Donald was looking ready to be a strong opponent to WWF while Vince would buy out Eastern Championship Wrestling, securing the GWF and WWF as the only two big promotions left, though Prime Time Wrestling continued to lose in ratings to Monday Night Blitz. As 1992 slowly moved into 1993, Diamond Dallas Page would pick up the win over Erich and win the Main Event Championship at Christmas Crusade while Nice Terry was slowly moving out of his gimmick into a new gimmick and Walker was still remaining strong, only losing the occasional match.

On January 4th, 1993, Prime Time Wrestling wouldn't shut down and Trump would proudly proclaim he had defeated the WWF.

What came next was the opening salvo of the Great Ratings War (1993-2017), mainly the first front.

Screenshot_20220212-122315.png

"Welcome everyone to Monday Night Raw! We are live from New York City, Manhattan Center! I'm Vince McMahon…"

The Monday Night Wars had begun.
And now here we begin to go down the more edgy, brutal, sexual, etc, etc stuff as the Ratings War takes place. Of course, I won't go too in detail with the matches until we reach certain ones/events in the timeline, so it'll be a brief summary up to those moments. If a Moderator can clarify if segments are coverable or not coverable, it'll be much appreciated and I'll move those specific segments to another website so you guys can view it.

Now, as for why I had Trump purchase WCW, it's because I couldn't find too many independent Wrestlers from around this time period, so...yeah. Now the GWF has a Roster of around 50-60 Stars. Now, yes, the nWo will still make an appearence, albeit a year earlier (you'll understand why). As for now, however, I'll be writing out the matches of each episode of Blitz/Raw as well the segments.

Until next time, everyone!

Hmm... I've always been an X-Pac fan. Maybe when Vince sees the successful light-weight stars like Brian Pillman, he could have a change of views on his preference of big muscle men like Savage and Hogan, and use X-Pac as a way to compete with the high-flyers of the Trump's brand? In 1993 (When the next chapter takes place) he'll have been in WWF IOTL, although as The Kid. Since Razor was in WCW at the time, we can't get a feud with him like IOTL. Let's give the Intercontinental Championship at 1992's Summerslam. In a shock victory, The Kid pins Bret Hart and becomes known as the '1-2-3 Kid'. My main reason for suggesting is that it doesn't seem like the story is gonna be too focused on the WWF, and giving them a small storyline as well as a way of competing with Trump's brand further would bring some more tension between the brands during those good old Monday night wars.

"I was really just writing for the magazine of the company at the time I was hired, bro. Actually, quite funny, I was writing for both WWF and GWF at the time because I was a freelance writer, considering I was given the job by good ol' Robert, may God bless his soul, in 1988, and by Linda in 1992. Honestly, I was perfectly happy at my place in the world, but then in October, I can't exactly remember the day, but that day did change my life as I met the boss himself." - Vince Russo, Booker and Writer and Head of GWF Creative (1994-1996; 2000-Present) and WWF Creative (1996-1999), on his promotion from freelance writer to a member of the GWF Creative team in late 1992.
Oh God!

he is a good booker as long he have someone to reign him
Still though, whenever Russo is mentioned, I have to be a bit worried.
Know what? No, I'm not going to continue to allow the Russo hate to continue. I'm sorry, but w/o Russo, there would've been no Kane, no Rock talking in 3rd Person, no D-X, no Attitude Era because he literally came up with most if not every idea for that era and he made sure the Ratings went up in every Company he was in. WWF, WCW, and TNA, because he understood that once Kayfabe was broken, no one cared about wrestling because everyone knew it was pre-determined. No Russo means Wrestling becomes more and more niche until its no longer relevent or profitable. You may say the guy has had thousands of ideas and Vince McMahon kept the good ideas...isn't that the point of writing? Having thousands and thousands of ideas and seeing which one sticks? Because that's how I write things, but I don't know about you guys.

Ok, what about Mae Young giving birth to a hand...in 2002...after he left the company...and the company had been out of his ideas for a year or so...

I'm a casual of Pro-Wrestling and I understand that Russo was far better than some smarmy person like Corny Corn will ever be considering what Russo did for the business, so if you don't like him being in control of a company, you'll just have to tough it out because I think I said this earlier, but I plan for this to be Pro-Casual Pro-Wrestling TL, not a Pro-Smark (ala WhatCulture, WrestleLamia, BotchaMania, etc) TL. Sorry, just needed to blow this steam off.

Hmm... I've always been an X-Pac fan. Maybe when Vince sees the successful light-weight stars like Brian Pillman, he could have a change of views on his preference of big muscle men like Savage and Hogan, and use X-Pac as a way to compete with the high-flyers of the Trump's brand? In 1993 (When the next chapter takes place) he'll have been in WWF IOTL, although as The Kid. Since Razor was in WCW at the time, we can't get a feud with him like IOTL. Let's give the Intercontinental Championship at 1992's Summerslam. In a shock victory, The Kid pins Bret Hart and becomes known as the '1-2-3 Kid'. My main reason for suggesting is that it doesn't seem like the story is gonna be too focused on the WWF, and giving them a small storyline as well as a way of competing with Trump's brand further would bring some more tension between the brands during those good old Monday night wars.

All good ideas. I did genuinely think of keeping Hall in WWF and having Nash go to WWF a year or so early, mainly for my nWo plan. I'm down for discussing how to create storylines and such with you and if you're down, you can also help with booking and promo writing since all of that are important aspects of Wrestling.