Was Chinese Emperor Ch'in The Evillest Emperor Ever?

(Crossposted here). While visiting Atlanta, we visited an exhibit that's a selection of some of the thousand statues found in 1974 in Ch'in's grave, which inspired me to write this.

On the one hand, he had fewer citizens available to kill, and we have no idea what his casualty rate was, though we do know he had the same appetite for continued mass bloodshed as his more recent 20th-century compatriots Stalin, Hitler, and Mao whom we have good data for. On the other hand, one reason we don't know may well involve an extra special evil deed; see the end.

Some standard Evil Emperor evil: He killed plenty of people on the march to conquer the first big agglomeration of China seen. He was arrogant - of course he named the newly unified land after guess who. He killed lots of people on the first Great Wall project, roadbuilding projects, and an unbelievably huge tomb. He so irritated his contemporaries that his dynasty only outlasted him a measly 4 years.

How has he outperformed his more recent forebears? Well, he was much more effective at censorship, having held a nice book bbq of most of the scrolls extant in his newly conquered big kingdom. And, he's still probably still killing people, unlike those wimps Attila, Genghis, Mao and Stalin.

He solved the graverobbing problem that disturbed the rests of so many of his peers the evil way, of course, by making it a very deadly place. No doubt, working on that project had to've been deadly in of itself. The result full of deadly traps. And, for good measure, he poisoned the ground in much of it. It took over two millenia for the grave to be reached, and Chinese archaeologists can still only reach the outer part, the 1,000 statues; no doubt it's still killing graverobbers. If he kept records of his killings, they'd be in the inner part, the palace where the ground's poisoned.

Why do we call China China anyway. Don't the Chinese call it something beginning with a Z? (exactly what escapes me). Middle kingdom.

Why do we call China China anyway. Don't the Chinese call it something beginning with a Z? (exactly what escapes me). Middle kingdom.
We call lots of nations by non-native names. Most, in fact. Deutschland is Germany, Zhonghua is China, Nihon is Japan, Ellenika is Greece, etc.

china
"porcelain imported from China," 1579, from the country name (1555), probably ult. from Skt. Cina-s "the Chinese" (earliest European usage is in It., by Marco Polo), perhaps from Qin dynasty, which ruled 3c. B.C.E. Latinized as Sina, hence sinologist. The Chinese word for the country is Chung-kuo, lit. "the Middle Kingdom." Chinatown first attested 1857 in California.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=china&searchmode=none

Zhōngguó in Pinyin, Chung-kuo in Wade-Giles

Indeed they do.. atleast according to the infallible wikipedia. They Call it Zhōngguó.

Edit: Beat to the punch

Hendryk

Banned
For the record I prefer Ch'in to be spelled Qin, as it is supposed to be in Pinyin.

And yes the First Emperor pretty much tops the list in the evil despot category. His rule was the closest to totalitarianism one could hope to get until the 20th century.

While it is true that Emperor Chin (actually spelled Qin) was one of the most evil despots if not in the ancient world, don't forget that he also was the one who united China and set down a system that existed for over 2100 years. When i visited China several years ago, the billion citizens would not be able to communicate nor trade as easily had it not been for Chin. So yes he was a tyrant, but you cannot deny the outcome either.

Emperor Ch'in or Qin (depends on which pronounciation you perfer) is indeed known for his brutality, however, just like Xascul said, he did some works for China and its coming dynasties.

First, the unification and standardrization of words, languages, measurements, money, and a few more. This allow China to be unified as a whole by various dynasties by giving a commonality in their life. This standarization also brought forth the first common system of Mandrain words (before the unification, words often differ from regions to regions). But this doesn't justify his cruel, cold hearted, inhumane slavery of his own people in any sense.

Second, he defeated the nomadic tribes to the north of China/Middle Kingdom/ Zhongguo, bringing some sort of peace along the border and through his conquest, brought other ethinic groups into China. But this peace is filled with heavy taxes and brutal oppresion.

So it is really hard to say if Qin is a good or bad man. He no doubt massacred learned scholars for his own authority, pressed gang innocent subjects for his own purpose that killed most of them. But his contribution to the dynasties to follow is undeniable. The opinion I would say is that Qin is a total failure as a king and ruler (his dynasty only lasted about 50 years), but a contributer to Chinese history and dynasty foundations as a whole.

Interesting, for the past few weeks I was pondering his self centered-ness. He was not evil I believe just a frickin insane SOB. I mean he just wanted immortality and not be assassinated (is that too much too ask?) :rolleyes: