What if German Luftwaffe Air Force wins Battle of Britain?

Yes, and you usually do.

Well, of course, it's easier to discuss with somebody who doesn't provide a long list of reasons for which you are wrong.

Unfortunately, all these reasons you list are as valid when discussing Norway for example. I am sure there were few military experts who believed the Germans could pull that off, certainly with the Royal Navy actively opposing them.

Yet it happened.

Hell no. Many of the reasons I listed do not apply to Norway.
- The Kriegsmarine existed, at the time of Weserübung. That exactly happened to be the price the Germans paid for that stunt. Weserübung itself, for all its success, is a reason enough to say that Seelöwe would be different, because it is for Weserübung that in September 1940 there's no Kriegsmarine around – it was either in dry dock or lying on a Norwegian fjord's bottom. I'm sure you see the difference with Seelöwe.
- The Germans only landed their initial forces by sea and air. Most of the logistical train followed in the old-fashioned way, by rail up the Norwegian territory. Yes, the Germans had to ferry things across anyway from Denmark to Norway. They had functional, non-demolished ports on both sides for that job. I'm sure you see the difference with Seelöwe.
- the back and forth shuttle missions of British naval forces I mentioned could of course be done even in Norway, in and out of Stuka range from the Norwegian coast. With the little difference that once they had expended their ammo and fuel and moved out of Stuka range, they'd be somewhere in the North Sea, a couple of days at least away from friendly bases where to replenish. While in the case of the Channel, they'd be half an hour from Lowestoft or other ports. I'm sure you see the difference with Seelöwe.
- I have not discussed the land battle, because what I listed is more than enough, as you can see. But since we're at it, let's say that what the German infantry had to face in Norway doesn't hold a candle to what they'd face in Britain.

There are simply too many examples of "British" given reasons why the Germans could not succeed at something, only for the Germans to do so.

This is funny. "British given" reasons. It seems you don't know what the German admirals thought of this Seelöwe folly. Raeder said: "Even if the first wave crosses successfully under favourable weather conditions, there is no guarantee that the same favorable weather will carry through the second and third waves. As a matter of fact, we must realise that no traffic worth mentioning will be able to cross for several days until certain harbours can be utilised". Is this enough of a non-British given reason?

SeaLion in and of itself wasn't a particularly good plan or even that feasible.

Quite the understatement. You are aware there are those who believe, given its level of unprecedented sloppiness, that it actually never was anything but a bluff?

But I think you badly underestimate German ingenuity and resolve in 1940. They had a habit of pulling off improbable missions.

We've had this discussion before. You are convinced SeaLion could never work. I believe it is unlikely but am willing to give the Germans their due; Eben Emael, Norway, Sedan were all equally improbable historical victories.

Yes. What you apparently fail to see is that there was a reason if people did not believe those stunts could be carried out. It is the same reason why no person sane of mind plays Russian roulette. Not even if the prize for surviving is a lot of cash.
The invasions of Norway and France were something like that. High-yield enterprises – which carried along the obvious high-risk danger of failure. Plenty of people gawped at the time, and some are gawping even today, at the "genius" who accomplished those feats. They didn't and don't notice that the risk of failure was very high. Indeed, it can be posited that among the reasons of the successes was exactly that other decision makers and military men did not expect such risk-taking, not believing one would put at risk so much, and that is why they were caught flat-footed (this wouldn't apply for Seelöwe, of course, another difference with Weserübung, you know; the British fully expected the Germans to try).
So it's like for the Russian roulette player. Some onlookers, those less savvy probably, cheer him on when he's successful once. Then even more, when he's successful twice. Guess what's happening to his chances when he tries for the third time?
Sure, there is a possibility the madman survives the following attempts, even though it's less and less likely. But in the end, we know what will happen.
And indeed, that is what happened to the German habit at succeeding in the improbable. Probability always wins in the end.

My own opinion is that had the Germans tried with Seelöwe, _that_ would have been the end of the unlikely series. I think I've provided reasons enough to explain why is that. Norway, for all its unlikelihood, had on the other side of the scale several reasons why the Western Allies were at a disadvantage there; but as shown above, and unlike what you think, Seelöwe does not feature any of the reasons why Weserübung, albeit unlikely, did work.

I'm sure you'll remain of your opinion, but I'm satisfied enough that the German decision makers, to a man, agreed with me – they didn't try.

That's the funny thing about history; often its about events proving pundits wrong......

Well, no, wrong. _Often_ the events go in the direction of the higher likelihood. It's the very idea of "often". That's what gives the pundits, and the mathematicians, and the statisticians, and the economists, a living. Otherwise we wouldn't be interested in the very concept of probabilities, you know. Exceptions and rules, and all of that. Of course the player who calculates all the odds before putting down his chips is less fun as a show; it is more exciting and fun to look at the player who happily takes huge risks and calls a cross-Channel invasion a "river crossing on a wide front". Just don't bet on him.

That said, let's keep in mind the unlikely does happen, though not "often" but rather "seldom" (obviously). How many unlikelihoods are necessary here?
- One we've already taken into account; for the sake of this thread, I have not discussed the virtually non-existing chances of the RAF being utterly destroyed. I have given the Germans that unlikelihood.
Then the Germans need:
- the weather to stay good, in the Channel, in September-October, for at least a month. Short, rare spells of bad weather could be acceptable, but on the whole the weather has to be consistently good. Highly unlikely.
- The Royal Navy somehow fails at the obvious, just like we've done away with the RAF. Extremely unlikely.
- The Germans capture at least one port, preferably too, basically intact, or so lightly damaged that they can repair it quickly. Fairly unlikely, though less outlandish than the above.
- The Army also botches it all. Possible, but not likely.
I could put up something more, but you dislike long lists showing you why you are wrong, so let's stop here. The Germans have to be lucky in all the above. I don't believe it.

Finally, I've put up a whole timeline explaining all of that and more with a concrete case study. You can go there if you want to know more; I'll be happy to reply to you there with a concrete example at hand.

The Royal Navy somehow fails at the obvious, just like we've done away with the RAF. Extremely unlikely.

And that's putting it lightly. When push comes to shove, the Home Fleet exists for the reason of stopping Sealion. The moment the Germans put to sea every ship from the Ark Royal on down is making for the channel at full speed. Air superiority - even total, uncontested air superiority, which is frankly out of the Luftwaffe's grasp - is only the first part of getting Sealion across. The Germans don't need to beat up the RN - it isn't even good enough to be able to destroy the RN (again, a bit out of their league). What they need to do is stop the RN from ever getting to the Channel, ever. And that's going to be one hell of a job.

Susano

Banned
Speaking fo total air superiority... if we assume the Germans have it, could they fly in troops? Okay, they IOTL didnt have enough proper air transportc rafts, but then, they also didnt have proper sea transport crafts, so thats no great difference to whats been discussed here so far ;)

Speaking fo total air superiority... if we assume the Germans have it, could they fly in troops? Okay, they IOTL didnt have enough proper air transportc rafts, but then, they also didnt have proper sea transport crafts, so thats no great difference to whats been discussed here so far ;)

Well, I guess they could do paradrops - although Crete doesn't give one great confidence in their tactical doctrine. Also, it's hard enough to supply an army by airdrop, let alone supply a nation-conquering offensive.

Sure they can. They just can't fly in enough troops to defeat the Home Guard (yes, that's what I mean) _and_ the supplies for them.

You know, all of the Sandhurst exercises start with the RAF and Royal Navy asleep for a day or two. Otherwise, there would be no fun at all.

However, in one of them, unbeknown to the German players, there was _no_ RAF. And _no_ Royal Navy. And _no_ Army. They faced only elements of the Home Guard, enough not to let understand immediately they were advancing in a vacuum. There also were the standard demolitions of British ports, bridges etc.
Well, they landed easily. In a few days, weather and logistics alone, with a bit of help from the Home Guard, stopped them somewhere in Kent.

I think Merlin has the answer here. It was more the integrated air defence system that did the job. Individual components were not essential. Neither of the monoplane fighters the RAF had were significantly superior to the 109 but they could shoot down the bombers. When radar was down the observer corps still tracked aircraft. No it was the coordination of the defence that was important so a POD that effected the adoption of an integrated system would be the one that would change the battle rather than just altering or removing one component from the system.

Thank you.
The main danger, of a victorious Luftwaffe winning the BoB in this ATL - is the perception of a) the general public - to the potential of the LW to bomb where ever they like, and b) the politicians - to the same thing, what comes next e.g. invasion, and how are they going to survive the chaos!?

Someday, I will get around to doing my own ATL, where the RAF do even better than OTL - deciding when to put the POD is the problem!

With the earlier debate on the Luftwaffe's capabilities in attacking warships, I thought I would mention the time when a He 111 attacked a line of destroyers in the evening and sank two!!
This occured 22nd February 1940, only problem for the Lw the ships were both German!
The first was the destroyer Z 1 Lebrerecht Maas at 1944 hrs, then at 20.04 a fire ball erupted from the Max Schultz; after the same aircraft made a second attack at 1958 hrs.
maybe they were just 'lucky' - the warships did not take evasive action, their believed the aircraft 'friendly'. Though they indeed they reduced speed to lessen, they wake just in case.

With the earlier debate on the Luftwaffe's capabilities in attacking warships, I thought I would mention the time when a He 111 attacked a line of destroyers in the evening and sank two!!
This occured 22nd February 1940, only problem for the Lw the ships were both German!
The first was the destroyer Z 1 Lebrerecht Maas at 1944 hrs, then at 20.04 a fire ball erupted from the Max Schultz; after the same aircraft made a second attack at 1958 hrs.
maybe they were just 'lucky' - the warships did not take evasive action, their believed the aircraft 'friendly'. Though they indeed they reduced speed to lessen, they wake just in case.

This example, if known in its entirety, only strengthens the case for the British destroyers being difficult targets for the bombers, if able to take evasive maneuvers at full speed in open waters (as opposed to being surrounded by friendly boats close up the coast and in shallow waters at Dunkerque).
In fact, the two destroyers were sunk by friendly bombers while _they were navigating the passage across a friendly minefield_. In other words, they did not take fast evasive maneuvers because they couldn't. They were in a worse position than the British vessels at Dunkerque.
Some sources also claim the second destroyer sank because it ran into a mine, not because hit by bombers.

Yes, and you usually do.

Unfortunately, all these reasons you list are as valid when discussing Norway for example. I am sure there were few military experts who believed the Germans could pull that off, certainly with the Royal Navy actively opposing them.

Yet it happened.

There are simply too many examples of "British" given reasons why the Germans could not succeed at something, only for the Germans to do so.

SeaLion in and of itself wasn't a particularly good plan or even that feasible. But I think you badly underestimate German ingenuity and resolve in 1940. They had a habit of pulling off improbable missions.

We've had this discussion before. You are convinced SeaLion could never work. I believe it is unlikely but am willing to give the Germans their due; Eben Emael, Norway, Sedan were all equally improbable historical victories.

That's the funny thing about history; often its about events proving pundits wrong......

QFT!!! :D:D:D.

The Germans, for all practical purposes, had no torpedo bombers. What they had in that role was under 30 obsolete, slow, slow planes carrying either dud-prone German torpedoes or Italian-made, working torpedoes, of which, however, they had a short, short supply.

And no, we're not looking at 500 Stukas. On July 20, the operational Stukas in all the Luftwaffe were 248. On August 13, they were 261. After that, they steadily dipped until taken off the action. In this scenario, we are after the complete utter defeat of the RAF, we're not even considering the obvious countermove of withdrawing Fighter Command North. So the destruction has been complete. This cannot come without a heavy price for the Stukas. I reckon we're looking at 100 Stukas in the best case.

Just a thought, but if I remember correctly, the Pacific war showed that torpedo bombers were only of limited effectiveness anyway (though we give them full credit for crippling the Bismark). Dive bombers were the best solution at the time. And 200+ given operational air superiority would be enough to cause the RN serious hurt. Of course the fact that they didn't have a bomb capable of taking out battleships or training to make effective use to them in 1940 is kind of the sticking point here :).

--
Bill

Just a thought, but if I remember correctly, the Pacific war showed that torpedo bombers were only of limited effectiveness anyway (though we give them full credit for crippling the Bismark). Dive bombers were the best solution at the time. And 200+ given operational air superiority would be enough to cause the RN serious hurt. Of course the fact that they didn't have a bomb capable of taking out battleships or training to make effective use to them in 1940 is kind of the sticking point here :).

And range. Moving in and out of the range of the Stukas under cover of darkness is one thing. While the Helldiver (since you look at the Pacific war) carried about the same bombload as the Ju 87B (that is the version available in 1940) - but had about four times the range. The Suisei ("Judy") had half the bombload but still went three times as far. The Stuka simply was not designed for naval operations.

And range. Moving in and out of the range of the Stukas under cover of darkness is one thing. While the Helldiver (since you look at the Pacific war) carried about the same bombload as the Ju 87B (that is the version available in 1940) - but had about four times the range. The Suisei ("Judy") had half the bombload but still went three times as far. The Stuka simply was not designed for naval operations.

I am not sure the range would have been as critical. The Stukas would merely have to kept the invasion corridor free of the RN. Or you might have been able to bait the RN into a sortie that would place them inside the range of the Stukas.

Either way, without proper training and armor piercing bombs, I think there is little chance of air superiority doing much good.

--
Bill

I am not sure the range would have been as critical. The Stukas would merely have to kept the invasion corridor free of the RN. Or you might have been able to bait the RN into a sortie that would place them inside the range of the Stukas.

Then you might want to read the thread above more closely. The Germans needed to run supply convoys 24/7. British destroyers can steam South at sunset from outside Stuka range, wreak havoc on convoys in the vicinity of Dover at midnight, and be out of Stuka range by dawn, in September.

Having the day to themselves is not enough for the Germans.
[/quote]

Then you might want to read the thread above more closely. The Germans needed to run supply convoys 24/7. British destroyers can steam South at sunset from outside Stuka range, wreak havoc on convoys in the vicinity of Dover at midnight, and be out of Stuka range by dawn, in September.

Having the day to themselves is not enough for the Germans.
[/quote]

Michele

I think the thing Bill is missing here is the speed of the German logistics, i.e. tugs pulling Rhine barges in most cases. They can't go too fast else they sink themselves. As such they will be at sea for long times even in the narrowest part of the channel, giving plenty of opertunity for raiding RN forces to locate and sink them. [Not even to mention if there's a storm of any size;)]

Bill

I recommend you read Michele's TL, mentioned on the 1st page of this thread which goes into a lot of details about how even if things go much better for the Germans their onto a hiding to nothing.

Stevep

It has always struck me there was something unreal about Sealion. Panzer divs and air units need tons of supply and for supply you need ports.

I think the planned landing area encompassed only Dover and Folkestone. Dover is at best a medium port (and access in-and-out is very difficult, if anyone has ever been there) and Folkestone is a small port.

To supply a large=scale, long-term campaign you would need Southampton and Portsmouth. Leaving aside the question of destruction of facilities, in those days all roads led to London. There were few lateral links and it would not be easy to supply a Pz Div in Kent from ships in Portsmouth.

I can't help thinking the German general staff would have been aware of all this. Perhaps they were gambling on a fast drive through to London, hoping the Brits would surrender before the panzers' petrol ran out. I'm sure there was a strong belief among senior Germans (not least Hitler himself) that Britain was prepared to surrender, upon terms.

Sandman396

Banned
I beg to differ. I'm not interested in an alternate history where Germany in 1940 is led by Fritz Pumpelstitchwitz, is actually called Ruritania, and is allied with Aquitania.

Oh I get it now Alternate History is defined as being that which you are interested in.

:confused::confused:

Oh I get it now Alternate History is defined as being that which you are interested in.

:confused::confused:

No, dude. I only state what kind of alternate history _I_ am insterested in. _You_ may well be interested in another kind, but it's _you_ who claimed that the "point" of alternate history is the kind of history _you_ are interested in - so different from real history as to be unrecognizable.

Note that there is a specific subforum for such things, and that subforum is _not_ this one.

So to ask the question back, is alternate history defined by what _you_ think is "the point" of it? My answer is no - hence I begged to differ. If you can't live with that answer, tough.