What if the Greek Revolution failed?

As the title says what if the Greek Revolution failed? What are the most likely ways it could end in failure? What short of effects could it have on the Ottoman Empire and the rest of the world going forward? Just an idea that came to my mind when I read up on the the Greek Revolution again and saw what a mess it was. Seriously the Greek's had two Civil Wars when they were in the middle of a Revolution. 😲

Last edited:
As the title says what if the Greek Revolution failed? What are the most likely ways it could end in failure? What short of effects could it have on the Ottoman Empire and the rest of the world going forward? Just an idea that came to my mind when I read up on the the Greek Revolution again and saw what a mess it was. Seriously the Greek's had two Civil Wars when they were in the middle of a Revolution. 😲
Let's say they put it during their civil war and help the pro ottoman side. Nothing of value was loss, plus ottoman greeks where very loyal subjects, if anything make europe looks more like vulture and hyenas

Greek independence is going to be attempted at some point or another. One defeat won't end the idea of Greek independence but it will forestall it for some time and the idea of a Greece based on classical traditions is dead in the water. The Phanariotes would probably gravitate more towards Russia and restoring some sort of neo-Byzantine empire as opposed to an ethnic Greek homeland.

As the title says what if the Greek Revolution failed? What are the most likely ways it could end in failure?
The Greek revolution was hardly ascertained to succeed: by 1826, in fact, it was all but suppressed by the Ottomans and their "Egyptian" (in reality Albanian) allies. The 1821 Revolutionaries began as more-less a shaky coalition of warlords united primarily by religion (as opposed to the hundreds of thousands of Greek-speaking Moslems in the Balkans) with shaky ties to the concept of a Hellenic identity (indeed, the idea of a "Greek" nation found its most fervent supporters in the Westernized mercantile class, whose influence existed beyond merely Greek-speaking lands; these people would have preferred the idea of being Roman).

Anyways, the alliance that held these revolutionaries together was remarkably shaky; and for all of the early successes of the Revolutionaries - no doubt helped by the power vacuum in the Balkans that came as a result of Mahmud II's conflict with the Ali Pasha, as well as the widespread outrage provoked by the execution of the Patriarch - the Revolutionaries were generally outclassed by their enemies. An apt comparison might be with the American Revolution (whose success depended very much on French aid), except that it hardly served the geopolitical interests of the Great Powers to see the Balkans destabilized; indeed, the British and French only intervened to ensure that Russia would not carve out a Greater Greece from Ottoman lands.

What short of effects could it have on the Ottoman Empire and the rest of the world going forward?
The most immediate effects are that Mahmud II's programme for modernization will be boosted - without the conflict of Russia, Mahmud's fledgling modern army will not be destroyed in combat and will have greater time to develop. Additionally, the lack of a Russo-Ottoman war will prove to be a setback for Russian attempts at gaining more privileges in the Black Sea, and will prevent Russia from gaining suzerainty over the Danubian Principalities. Furthermore, Muhammad Ali's conflict with the Porte might be slightly setback; with a successful suppression of the Greek revolt, he will be awarded Crete and might not ask for Syria (IOTL this led to a war with the Sultan, which might be briefly forestalled).

In the long term, I see more Greek revolts happening. Greek nationalism was very well-positioned to make a bid for independence: the Greeks were not only the elite 'ethnic group' of the Balkans, but also had Western support for their cause (via philhellenism). Furthermore, the Tanzimat reforms threatened the standing of numerous elite castes throughout the Empire, especially in the Balkans, who were upset at the upheaval of the Millet system and the reforms aimed at modernizing the state. What I think this means is that the Greeks would be predisposed towards making a bid for independence; what I find interesting in this scenario is the result that this would have on other Balkan people, such as Bulgarians who resented the Greeks over their domination of the Patriarchate...

Last edited:

Osman Aga

Banned
It can fail as early as 1822-23. The Ottomans initially focused against Ali Pasha Tepelene, the governor of Epirus and most of Greece. His forces were keeping Morea and Central Greece under control. The Filiki Eteria and their allies saw the possibilities when Ali Pasha drew his units to face Mahmud II's forces. Making a perfect scenario. The Filiki Eteria already wanted a rebellion so the Ali Pasha's own rebellion was not a must, it was highly ideal. This means, if the Greeks still revolt, Mahmud II can let Ali Pasha deplete his forces against the Greeks with the Ottoman Forces sweeping up what's left. The Greeks are defeated and Ali Pasha is in no position to face Mahmud II's demands.

Another option is Alexander I of Russia living until 1827 (or Nicholas I is busy elsewher... Poland maybe?). The Ottoman-Egyptian Forces break whatever resistance is in their way. No Navarino to thwarth Ibrahim Pasha. Ibrahim needed some time. It took Nicholas I two years to participate in favor of the Greeks. If he becomes Tsar in 1827 with the same problems he had in 1825, odds are he won't be ready on time to save the Greeks.

In both scenarios future rebellions are not out of question. A Serbia analogue with an autonomous Principality controlled by one of the reasonable Greek Warlords as an Ottoman Puppet, smaller than OTL 1832 Greece, probably just Morea or maybe Attica included.
The situation can also be different if it doesn't happen. If the Ottomans are victorious in the first scenario with no Greek Autonomy, the province is directly ruled by a governor appointed by Istanbul. Could be Muslim, could be Phanariot. The development post-rebellion is up to assumptions. The Janissary Corps might be abolished by force much earlier. The Ottomans are better prepared against a Bosnian Rebellion and/or Egyptian Rebellion. If the Ottomans are victorious in the second scenario, Morea becomes ruled by a governor chosen by Mehmed Ali, basically an Egyptian Vassal within the Empire. If Mehmed Ali faces the Sultan in this scenario as well he has advantage and an disadvantage. The advantage is having direct land control to Istanbul. The disadvantage is being caught between the Sea. The Ottomans likely control the Seas with a stronger Navy, creating a Navarino Scenario. If Mahmud II can get the Morea Greeks on board, Ibrahim Pasha is screwed. The Egyptians still have some advantage in the Midfle East but I guess Mehmed Ali would let Ibrahim between 15-30k troops in Morea. Manpower taken from Egypt that cannot be used in the Levant. I don't see the balance change too much, not crucial at least, considering the new Ottoman Military would be in it's infancy. But it doesn't need to be so painful as in 1833 OTL. The abolishment of the Janissary Corps and the Bosnian, Albanian Rebellions don't change much from OTL. The problematic treaties and agreements of the 1830s and 1840s might be butterflied away.

Osman Aga

Banned
Greek independence is going to be attempted at some point or another. One defeat won't end the idea of Greek independence but it will forestall it for some time and the idea of a Greece based on classical traditions is dead in the water. The Phanariotes would probably gravitate more towards Russia and restoring some sort of neo-Byzantine empire as opposed to an ethnic Greek homeland.
Depends on the circumstances. If the Greeks see a chance to go for independence, why not? But then again, it might evolve into greater regional autonomy. Any way, the Ottomans need to evolve into a federal system regulated by law where the Greek Christians aren't mistreated.
I agree partly with the Phanariots, they would prefer a Neo-'Byzantine' Empire over a small Greece. But rotating to Russia kills the idea.

Osman Aga

Banned
Let's say they put it during their civil war and help the pro ottoman side. Nothing of value was loss, plus ottoman greeks where very loyal subjects, if anything make europe looks more like vulture and hyenas

Not killing Gregory V would be a plus. I like Mahmud II but some of his decisions were reckless.

The Greeks north of Attica were loyal.....the aticans and Peloponnese not so much. The several rebellions in the 1500s the Maniot Revolts in the 1600s the early revolts in the 1700s and the infamous Orlov Revolt in the late 1700s show that the Greeks of Attica and Peloponnese weren't loyal at all. The continual aid they gave the Venetians too prove that easily.

Not killing Gregory V would be a plus. I like Mahmud II but some of his decisions were reckless.
What would a pod for avoiding Gregory's execution? How do you think the Patriarch surviving would influence the Revolutions?

Would a more Neo-Byzantine Revolution take hold as opposed to a Neo-Hellenic one?

Osman Aga

Banned
The Greeks north of Attica were loyal.....the aticans and Peloponnese not so much. The several rebellions in the 1500s the Maniot Revolts in the 1600s the early revolts in the 1700s and the infamous Orlov Revolt in the late 1700s show that the Greeks of Attica and Peloponnese weren't loyal at all. The continual aid they gave the Venetians too prove that easily.

There were Greek Revolts in Chalkidiki Peninsula. The local population being more diverse than in the North than in the South could be a reason why it failed. That and Southern Greece was more Christian (+80%) on average.

Osman Aga

Banned
What would a pod for avoiding Gregory's execution? How do you think the Patriarch surviving would influence the Revolutions?

Would a more Neo-Byzantine Revolution take hold as opposed to a Neo-Hellenic one?

Mahmud II not getting a direct rejection from the ulema... or coming to his senses... or Alexander I plain out threatening the Sultan.

Not necessarily. A Greek state succeeded as the rebellion was concentrated on Greek and Christian area. Rebelling in Thrace, Aegean Anatolia and Black Sea Anatolia is pointless and hopeless.

What the Neo-'Byzantines' can hope is a collapse of an Ottoman Empire like Russia or Austria-Hungary where the Greeks can secure Constantinople. Which is problematic when the city is majority Muslim, the army is largely Turkic/Muslim. But this is how I see a Neo-'Byzantine' Rebellion to succeed in theory.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Mahmud II not getting a direct rejection from the ulema...

Is the killing the Patriarch just too tempting and "gettable" a target for a Muslim-led government with pro-Muslim biases being stressed out by Christian rebels to avoid?

I fear people of the Ottoman side had a gut feeling this would release their frustrations and regardless of his personal conduct, Gregory was an attainable scapegoat to "show them we mean business."

In OTL were the ulema calling for the execution from the beginning of the rebellion with the Sultan wavering and then eventually going for it?

Sultan Mahmud was considering striking directly at non-rebelling Greek communities until Çerkes Halil Efendi, the Sheikh ul-Islam at the time denied to approve the fatwa ordering to do so.

What would a pod for avoiding Gregory's execution?
A simple POD is that the Mahmud decides to accede to the Sheyhulislam when he refuses to sanction the execution.
How do you think the Patriarch surviving would influence the Revolutions?
It would diminish support, I imagine - Gregory had excommunicated the rebels three times, while his survival would reduce anger felt by Christians throughout the OE.
Well, it'd obviously have to be a Neo-Roman Revolution (Byzantine was principally a foreign term), but I think there's major problems. The principal problem with a revolution that espoused "Roman" identity IMHO was that the situation "on the ground" (e.g. in Greece proper) was a lot different from the way it's been generally imagined. Keep in mind that there were several different factions in the revolt, including the educated class that promoted a Hellenic identity (these were people who were generally descendants of Byzantine nobles and held influence throughout Ottoman lands), a number of brigands and warlords in Greece proper who would have considered themselves Romans, as well as a substantial Arvanite contribution. Keep in mind that the second and third groups had warred savagely in the past; Kolokotronis in his memoirs even recounted how his father had stacked pyramids of Arvanite heads. As such, a revolution that promoted a Hellenic identity could reconcile the latter two groups against all of the "Turks" of Rumelia.

Is the killing the Patriarch just too tempting and "gettable" a target for a Muslim-led government with pro-Muslim biases being stressed out by Christian rebels to avoid?
There was no precedent to executing a Patriarch for the rebellion of his subjects: the Ottomans didn't even depose the Patriarch during the revolts of 1567-1572, 1611, or even the Orlov Revolt that had happened a couple decades earlier - hell, the Empire was even more "stressed out" by the rebels, given that they were simultaneously losing to Russia in a concurrent war. Furthermore, all precedent had established the independence of the Rum millet, which is precisely why the Sheyhulislam had refused to sign the Sultan's fatwa and ultimately paid for his life with it.

I fear people of the Ottoman side had a gut feeling this would release their frustrations and regardless of his personal conduct, Gregory was an attainable scapegoat to "show them we mean business."
Not really - it was more-or-less Mahmud II's own project, opposed by both reformist and conservative elements within the Ottoman government.

In OTL were the ulema calling for the execution from the beginning of the rebellion with the Sultan wavering and then eventually going for it?
No, they were not. They would have little reason to do so - after all, Gregory had excommunicated the rebels three times...

Osman Aga

Banned

You can see it as a 'punishment' or trying to break the morale or whatever.

There could be many more people considered as accountable. Gregory too? Sure. But his execution was pointless and harmful. A banishment to Mount Athos would have worked out better.

You can see it as a 'punishment' or trying to break the morale or whatever.

There could be many more people considered as accountable. Gregory too? Sure. But his execution was pointless and harmful. A banishment to Mount Athos would have worked out better.
He'd repeatedly excommunicated the rebels, advocated loyalty to the Ottoman Empire, and then got murdered by the Sultan.

Honestly, what really needed to happen was that Mahmud had to be reined in.

The best outcome for the Balkans and Middle East in the 19th and 20th centuries is a powerful Ottoman state that federalizes, or at least manages to head off nationalistic strife through equal treatment of its ethnic and religious groups, like how Austria-Hungary was headed prior to WWI.

It's better than what happened in the real 20th century, with the entire region drowning in blood and being filled with tiny, economically weak and territorially circumscribed states tearing at each other's throats until they've become ethnically 'pure' or weakened enough to be incapable of chasing irredentist ambitions anymore.

The best outcome for the Balkans and Middle East in the 19th and 20th centuries is a powerful Ottoman state that federalizes, or at least manages to head off nationalistic strife through equal treatment of its ethnic and religious groups, like how Austria-Hungary was headed prior to WWI.
Hungary was the main obstacle in terms of federalization. Otl wasn't really very desirable as the Empire had many structural issues that prevented it from really living up to its full-potential. Still the fact that it last so long fighting with an arm tied behind its back is an impressive feat. The Ottomans similarly had a lot of structural issues to deal with during the age of industrialization. The factors such as economic woes which led to the Balkan Revolutions would still be present after all. Simply crushing them won't solve the situation in the long term much like how Europe found out not too long after the Congress of Vienna.

The 1830 and 1848 Revolutions largely gained traction due to lingering economic issues that exacerbated existing social issues/tensions. Trying to suppress said revolt without really addressing what caused it in the first place isn't really a wise strategy. Russia for example kicked so many minor problems down the road that they gradually snowballed into the avalanche that was the Russian Revolution.

He'd repeatedly excommunicated the rebels, advocated loyalty to the Ottoman Empire, and then got murdered by the Sultan.
I'm honestly puzzled as to what went on his head during that moment.

a powerful Ottoman state that federalizes, or at least manages to head off nationalistic strife through equal treatment of its ethnic and religious groups, like how Austria-Hungary was headed prior to WWI.
The Ottomans also are the premier Islamic power after all holding the title of Caliph. Thus the ultra-conservative and the traditionalist religious establishment would heavily lobby for the current Islamic nature of the monarchy to exist. True Federalism/tolerance is kind of an anachronism in this time period as there was still preferential treatment within Ottoman society/government towards Muslims. The Ottomans kept the jizya around until 1856 I think. Comparatively liberal nations like the UK for example still had a lot of stigma towards Catholics for example.

Mahmud II not getting a direct rejection from the ulema... or coming to his senses... or Alexander I plain out threatening the Sultan.

Not necessarily. A Greek state succeeded as the rebellion was concentrated on Greek and Christian area. Rebelling in Thrace, Aegean Anatolia and Black Sea Anatolia is pointless and hopeless.
There were revolts in both Thrace and Macedonia. The one in Thrace was defeated in short order. The ones in Macedonia held out into early 1822, the destruction of Naousa which ended the revolution in Macedonia was in April 13th 1822.

My ancestors in the Agrafa mountains were most definitely living to the north of Attica and most definitely were anything but "loyal", there is a reason my village frex was burned 7 times in various revolts and uprisings, while the area remained outside effective Ottoman control into independence. Well the area being poor and choke full of heavily armed people helped that way... there is a reason Aetolians were troubling our neighbours back in ancient times or the Germans and Italians also failed to control it in WW2. :p

But more seriously I think you raise an important issue here, namely why in general the Ottomans failed to secure anything near the loyalty of their Greek populations after centuries of rule and were still seen as a foreign occupier?