Who Cares Enough To Come?

Okay so here's a quick update to assure that this is not dead.
---
From Trial By Fire
By Professor Mitt Romney

After the pivotal Ohio primaries on May 3rd the 1960 Republican primaries of mid May proved to be a doosie. No other candidates decided to compete in the Nebraska or West Virginia primaries which Nixon both won against mere favorite son candidates despite Rockefeller gaining 33% in write-ins in West Virginia. Maryland was another landslide for Rockefeller, who had no problem with the moderates and independents who were spewing out by the thousands for his rallies.
The next big primary would be Oregon, where William F. Knowland and Richard Nixon were tied at 40% in the polling a week before the election. William F. Knowland had proven that he could match Nixon tit for tat in financing, while Rockefeller would lag behind the two in funds and Senator Barry Goldwater watched from the corner. Although the Oregon primary was short in delegates, Knowland was sure to show that he could pull the rug right from under Nixon in a state once thought to be safe, and grab a new boost of momentum going into the California primary. Nixon, on the other hand, wanted to get a statement win by 10-15% over his rival and show that he was once again the establishment candidate, while letting the sting of the lost Ohio primary fade in voters minds.
Nixon, after his win in Nebraska, had used that primary to gather a coalition of African American and liberals disenfranchised with Nelson Rockefeller. While he still fought for the blue collar Union vote Knowland was leading those voters by over 30%.

May 20, 1960
Republican Oregon Primary

Former Senator William F. Knowland 37.5%
Vice President Richard Nixon 32.3%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller 31.2%

Democratic Oregon Primary

Senator Hubert Humphrey 71.2%
Senator Adlai Stevenson 28.8% PV

From The Forgotten Primaries
By Tim Grenshaw

Adlai Stevenson, much like Richard Nixon within the same primaries, still viewed himself as the establishment candidate. Stevenson believed that his history of 2 consecutive terms of Democratic nominee would make him the front runner once again. His establishment support, a coalition of old guard New Deal Democrats and foreign policy hawks, closely combated Humphrey's coalition of minorities, Unions, and young people. Stevenson would take Nebraska by 20 points, but Humphrey got a 85% turnout rate amongst the coal-miners Union to push him to a 7% win in West Virginia. Oregon would be a 99% win for Favorite Son candidate Wayne Morse who's only opponent was Adlai Stevenson and Hubert Humphrey write in ballots.
The fact that Wayne Morse won the Oregon primary was no laughing matter for the campaigns, Wayne Morse had pledged to support his delegates to Lyndon Johnson who was campaigning in the states without primaries. Humphrey and Stevenson both made attempts to lobby to state delegations. Stevenson had the support of New York, New Jersey, and New England under his belt. The unions of Michigan and Minnesota pushed their delegations to Humphrey, and of course Minnesota was devout. But Johnson had locked up the south, and was pushing his favorite sons Pat Brown and George Smathers in California and Florida respectively. The only remaining competitive primary was California.

May 21, 1960

William F. Knowland wins Oregon Primary!

(AP) Former Senator William F. Knowland, won the GOP Oregon primary yesterday by just over 7%. This further throws a wrench in the Republican party's plan for a united Republican party against the Democratic candidate (who also remains to be decided until the convention). Richard Nixon began campaigning in Oakland, California this morning at a rally where he totally ignored the subject of his recent lost. The California primary could actually be the deciding factor in the campaign as no candidate has locked up the necessary amount of delegates to win the primaries. Sources say that state delegations are split over who to support with their delegates but many are leaning Nixon. The winner of California may very will take back the parties banner and eventually the nomination. Although the GOP Florida Primary begins in just 4 days, no candidates are expected to campaign there as Senator Barry Goldwater leads all other candidates by 25% (of which only Knowland and Nixon are actually on the ballot beside Goldwater).

Hubert Humphrey California Campaign Headquarters
Sacramento, California

The room was smoky, and smelt like Scotch which Hubert Humphrey's campaign manager Richard Evans drank by the gallon. Humphrey had his jacket off after a two hour long dinner with California doners. Not like he needed it, the Humphrey campaign were the clear front runners after destroying Adlai Stevenson in Oregon, and there were calls for Stevenson to drop out. Hubert had yet to hear anything from them though, so it was all to be focused on California where Governor Pat Brown was running as a favorite son candidate.

"So Rich, how's it looking?"

"Ehh. Brown's campaign is better organized. He knows he can be a big power broker."

"All that money is Johnson's though."

"Yeah, he want's to bring this thing to the convention."

"But if we take California... we'll be consensus."

There was a pause, "right Hubert, I think. If we can get Stevenson to drop out before this it'll probably help too."

"How can we do that?... I'm not offering him my VP spot if that's what you're getting at."

"No I... well maybe."

"Hell no. He's been on the ballot twice already, I'm surprised he's made it this far."

"Well if not Stevenson you probably would have to take Johnson anyway, and this could get ugly."

"Or Pat Brown, or... Symington... or Governor Smathers."

"Smathers, that's who you take if not Johnson... but whatever. None of that matters right now. What matters is that we need to increase our organization here. Get out the vote. Tap into Browns huge support with minorities, get at least 80% turnout from Unions which we can sweep. We can't win if we don't do that."

"Sounds good Rich."

May 23, 1960

Senator Adlai Stevenson (D-IL) officially suspends Presidential campaign

(AP) Earlier today Senator Adlai Stevenson of Illinois, who just came off a large lost to front runner Hubert Humphrey in Oregon, suspended his campaign for the Democratic nomination saying in his concession speech, "It's time to make the decision easier for the American people...". The two time Presidential candidate cited being severely low on funds as the prime reason for dropping out. Stevenson refused to endorse a candidate and therefore his pledged delegates are waiting on a decision of who to support.

From The Forgotten Primary
By Tim Grenshaw

California was all that mattered to the Humphrey campaign after Stevenson dropped out of the running on May 23. California was the home turf of favorite son Pat Brown and the fact that Humphrey even attempted to challenge Brown there insulted Brown, and he would pour every cent of his money into defeating the Minnesota Senator. Brown wanted to be a fixture at the nomination, and hold power over the very powerful California delegation. He was suspected to be partially loyal to the Johnson campaign, who was attempting to grab enough delegates to win the nomination before the convention.
The primary was polling extremely close between the two candidates, as Humphrey put millions of dollars into winning the primary, which would make him the obvious front runner going into the convention, knocking out Brown on his own turf and crippling Johnson's push for delegates. The primary itself would come down too the division of the the young and establishment voters. Minorities were locked up for the Brown campaign, who was wildly popular and elected on the backs of the Hispanic and African American voters, while Union and labor workers were the largest supporters of Humphrey but young voters and moderate establishment supporters weren't very excited by either side. Whomever could take the majority in both those categories would win the primary.

Wisnar Household, Pasadena California

A Richard Nixon for President Ad runs on the television. James is eating dinner, he doesn't even understand why the hell they have a television. He remembers when... he lost his train of thought.
His wife walked in and grabbed a glass of ice tea off the counter, "So James who ya votin for?"

"Barry Goldwater."

Janet laughed for a second, before realizing he was serious, "Of course you are. You know he's not even on the ballot. I think that man dropped out."

"Ehh the rest are batty."

"Well not the Vice President."

"What do you care? You voted for Humphrey."

"I know James but, I think if I was a Republican, I'd vote for Humphrey... I mean Nixon."

"Nixon's a cheater, William fucked over the workers here."

"You hate Unions I thought. Barry Goldwater does."

"I'm a plumber, I have to have a union... And Nixon stole money. Twice. Eisenhower doesn't even like em'."

"You know who I like?"

"Nixon. You just said that."

"No, I think I like Rockefeller actually. He's a good man."

"A liberal."

"I saw an interview with him on... CBS I think. He want's to make college free ya know... Ya know James?"

"Ya Janet, I know."

May 24, 1960

Barry Goldwater wins Florida Primary on write-ins
(AP) Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona won the Florida Primary today by 1765 write in votes. The primary comes as no surprise as, although Goldwater was unable to get on the ballot, he poured most of his remaining money into a victory here. Florida holds as one of the more conservative states in the GOP primaries and was considered a safe Goldwater state. This marks Goldwater's first primary win.

Los Angeles Times

This one's for all the marbles
By Jonathan Athens

This weekend will be a very busy one for Republican presidential candidates William Knowland, Richard Nixon and Nelson Rockefeller. They will all be crisscrossing the state of California.

Vice President Nixon is spending his entire treasury in California, reminding everyone that he's a native Californian, but he's having a tough time convincing people that he's the guy for them as William F. Knowland surges back in a state that voted kicked him out just last year.

This is really enormously important to both Nixon and Knowland. If either loses California, the race isn't essentially over as it can still go to the convention but I think it throws the race absolutely up for grabs. It seriously wounds Nixon's campaign because the argument is going to be if Richard Nixon can't win his home state that rejected Knowland just last year, what chance would he have in a general election campaign in a very key swing state against the Democratic nominee.

Whomever wins goes back to being the front runner and the momentum could probably throw them the nomination.

May 25, 1960
GOP Presidential Polling, California

Vice President Richard Nixon 31.4% (Down 7.4%)
Former Senator William F. Knowland 29.5% (Up 6.3%)
Governor Nelson Rockefeller 20.2% (Up 3.1%)
Barry Goldwater (Write in) 7% (Up 4%)
Other/ Unsure 11.9%

With polling numbers falling, Richard Nixon challenges William F. Knowland to debate pre-California primary, Rockefeller demands entrance.

(AP) With his polling numbers down 7.4% and Former Senator Knowlands up by 6 points, Vice President Nixon challenged Knowland to a single debate at the University of Southern California campus to be held on June 2. This would mark the debate just 5 days before the primary and is a surprising announcement from the Nixon camp. The debate would be moderated by the CBS's Evening News Anchor, Douglas Edwards. The debate will focus around the topics of policy with the U.S.S.R, and Presidential Character. This will be the first GOP Primary debate since Harold Stassen debated Thomas Dewey over the subject of banning the Communist Party in the United States, and proved to be the death of the Stassen campaign that year. Both campaigns take a risk in jumping in this debate, but more so to the Knowland camp who is currently streaking past the Vice President.
Governor Nelson Rockefeller, who polls just barely above 20% in California, has demanded entrance into the debate citing that he was a "viable candidate" in California and that Nixon and Knowland was simply "scared" of his rising numbers as they remain in a dead heat.
The debate is a chance for either candidate to have a break out performance and get ahead in the state.

June 1, 1960
California GOP Debate highlights, USC Campus, Los Angeles, California

The Vice President had been backed into a corner by an aggressive Knowland attack on Nixon's character specifically regarding the Bebe Rebozo affair, Nixon shot back:

"I'm not afraid on attacks on my character, which I know is strong, which my family knows is strong, which President Eisenhower knows is strong. If I was the American people I'd be afraid of your attacks on Unions, remember why you lost Senator?"

Senator Knowland shot back:

"Please Mr. Vice President, don't turn your own personal shame and contort it into an assault on my stand for Republican pro-growth principles.

The back and forth tennis match on stage quickly became chippy, and the moderator was forced to step in and change the topic.

Later Senator Knowland received a standing ovation when he was asked how he would deal with the Soviet Union.

"My belief is that we should go forth into the 1960's with a new outlook. A fresh leader that is willing to sit across at the negotiating table with Khrushchev and work towards peace, and also is willing to stand behind the largest strongest army on Earth. A President, who will promote Peace through Strength."

Vice President Nixon had a similarly good performance when asked how he would continue the Eisenhower era legacy for the GOP:

"This country, this Grand Old Party, is at a cross roads. I stand here with 8 years experience as your countries second in command behind our parties greatest leader of this century. Across from me is the choice of a radical wing of the Republican party that fights for no one but corporate interests and the destruction of the American Workers right. I am a man that was picked by our President to help lead, and stood at his helm for the past 8 years during the hardest decisions a President can make and collaborated with the President on things like the creation of the Interstate Highway System. Senator Knowland, mean while, was becoming more and more radical in the elitist chamber. So I ask, pick one that will truly enhance our great Presidents vision."

The overall mood of the debate came out snarky, with moderator Douglas Edwards forced to break the two candidates up multiple times. Polls showed Richard Nixon had won the debate with an unenthusiastic 42% to 34% but election polls showed a surprising phenomenon: With the absence of Nelson Rockefeller at such an angry debate, he was able to gain 5% in the polls, moving ahead of Senator William Knowland nationally and only 2% behind in California where more radical conservative Barry Goldwater is still receiving over 10% on write ins. More amazingly, the Governor is within the margin of error of the Vice President, marking the first time he may be able to strike ahead in the polls and a blessing for the Rockefeller camp in disguise that they missed the first debate. This may also be a symptom of GOP voters seemingly being very unsatisfied with the two major candidates so far, and a more neutral and "nicer" approach from Rockefeller has been the difference. The only question is, can he win in the home state of both Knowland and Nixon , California?

GOP Presidential Polling, California

Vice President Richard Nixon 29.4%
Former Senator William F. Knowland 26.5%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller 24.2%
Barry Goldwater (Write in) 10%
Other/ Unsure 11.9%

National GOP Presidential Polling

Vice President Richard Nixon 29.7%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller 29.3%
Senator William Knowland 26.9%
Barry Goldwater 5%
Other/ Unsure 9.1%

June 8, 1960

NELSON ROCKEFELLER SHOCKS NIXON, KNOWLAND WINS CALIFORNIA BY 5%
AP NEWS
By Tyler Archur

At 6:03 AM Eastern Time on Tuesday, June 8 dark horse candidate and leader of the GOP "liberal wing" Nelson Rockefeller, was able to shock both Vice President Richard Nixon and Senator William F. Knowland by topping off his recent streaking in the polls with an astronomically important upset win both Nixon and Knowland's home state primary by a solid 5%. The win secures Rockefeller a total of 172 delegates and almost guarantees a convention floor battle for the Republican Party nomination in 1960...

sharlin

Banned
I really wish I knew more about US politics and policians to really appreciate this but its damn well written and clearly heavily researched.

This is really good. Hope it's not dead :(

I totally forgot about this, and A.H.com in general for a while as I've been caught up in Reddit, 4chan, and other corners of the interwebs. I was stuck in writing the Republican primaries but have gotten kind of bored with it, and actually have it pretty planned out for the next 10 years (it gets weird).

So anyway, I'm going to try to get to the actual election soon and bring this back.

I totally forgot about this, and A.H.com in general for a while as I've been caught up in Reddit, 4chan, and other corners of the interwebs. I was stuck in writing the Republican primaries but have gotten kind of bored with it, and actually have it pretty planned out for the next 10 years (it gets weird).

So anyway, I'm going to try to get to the actual election soon and bring this back.

Okay, cool. I'll read!

A Tour of the War Zone
My Tour of the Battleground States of 1976 by Carl Bernstein
September 13, 1976

There are four states that are posed to decide the 1976 Presidential election. With challenging Senator Edward Brooke surging in the past weeks into a fragile but steady two-point lead over President Wallace, battle ground territory still remains untested. Most of the nation has already been carved off – Wallace leads by double digits in the entire area south east of the Mason-Dixon line, and Brooke has GOP land well in check with voters in New England, the west coast, and much of the plains excited to vote for a historic first black candidate on a major party ticket. Nonetheless, the blue collar Midwest, and two states in the geographic west of the United States in Nevada and at the end of the U.S – the frigid north of Alaska – are projected to be the closest states in terms of popular vote in this year’s election. Furthermore, they tell the narrative of this entire election year between them, and how they turnout will cast a projection of the next decade and perhaps the end of this century in American politics.

First let us take our case study to the frigid temperatures of Alaska where oil riggers represent a dying breed. This is the truest form of blue collar work, and it gives one a sense of independence. “The government doesn't play a big part in our lives, and we like that,” I’m told by oil rigger Terry Lewson on a rig outside of Fairbanks, “With oil prices high we've seen cuts. The economy is sluggish, we need help but I’m leery to say that that should come from the government. Wallace said he’d shrink our government, make it smarter, more transparent. I had a brother that died in Thailand – that was sure on Government funds. At this point, I don’t know who to trust.” But it’s not about racial issues for Alaskan’s as has absorbed so much of the nation, it’s about who best taps into the quasi libertarian populism that they hold onto, “No one care’s about the race issue in Alaska like they do in the south. I mean, we know Wallace’s history and it’s impossible to ignore that Brooke is negro but it doesn’t matter to me much. I just want a government I can trust again.”

Alaska’s not alone in this growing distrust in government. Wallace entered his office on a mandate to restore faith in the executive branch after the resignation of President Kennedy. But, after years of spiraling national debt, a war we were promised would be over that has multiplied into a regional conflict, and a string of corruption scandals including the resignation of his Secretary of State William H. Sullivan on bribery charges the administration that was supposed to restore faith in the Presidency has done the opposite. After a short term post-election boost to 59% that had faith in the “executive office”, that number has dropped to 32% but still 13 points higher than President Kennedy in the wake of the Succo scandal.

Brooke looks to play on this much as Wallace did four years ago, painting himself as an optimistic transparent alternative to the corrupt establishment that has strangled the office for corporate interests as it has been for the past term, but voters are still very hesitant to place their faith in Brooke. Just 25% of voters say that they have “substantially more faith” in Brooke’s ability to lead then Wallace’s, with over 45% of respondents saying that they suspect “no difference” in the transparency and openness of the office under either candidate. Although it only offers 3 electoral votes to its winner, Alaska will prove to be a flagship state in this election for that reason as 49% of voters in the “last frontier” say that Presidential character is the most important issue in this election. If either candidate can distinguish themselves on that issue that will go a long way nationally with the blue collar middle class workers this state represents.

Next we turn our eyes to the Midwest, Ohio specifically, where the anti-war movement was in full swing. I went to the campus at Ohio State to visit a rally for Students Against Conflict, a student run organization protesting against growing forces in Thailand. “President George Wallace promised a withdrawal of all troops from the conflict by March of 1973. Now we’re 3 more years into the conflict, with 200,000 more of our boys across Indochina. To what end? Where does the fighting stop? When will you bring our brothers, sons, fathers, friends home Mr. Wallace?” spoke Condoleezza Rice, a young organizer here at Ohio State.

I spoke to some of the 2,000 students rallying on the campus here in Columbus. Apparently this is not a new sight, “We rally like this at least once a month, and usually two-three times the people will come out. Unfortunately they projected rain today but thousands came out anyway. That’s how passionate people are about change.”

And the anti-war movement is going to be key this election year. Wallace was down nearly twenty points two months ago before a breakthrough in the conflict set up a free Laosian government that has tentatively operated since August, and peace deals with the Thai People’s Army set a withdrawal date from the conflict in late January of next year. But, breakdowns in talks with the Cambodian freedom forces and the retreat of the last U.S forces from South Vietnam last week has stifled his surge in the polls and reenergized the anti-war movement.

“Wallace has yet to prove that the U.S presence in Indochina has been anything but a sham imperialist invasion that will collapse into worse shape when we withdrawal – whenever that date may be.” Rice says over her microphone as thousands holding signs with everything from generic anti-war slogans to black power fists and Communist designs cheer.

“The ball is going to be in Wallace’s court,” comments Foreign Policy correspondent Gary Arkdale, “If Wallace is able to make clear breakthroughs in the ongoing peace negotiations in Indochina then he may be able to pull back in much of that youth support he had when he ran four years ago, as well as the growing veteran population that will be a crucial vote in November. But for now, it’s looking like all that energy has shifted to Brooke.”

It waits to be seen whether people truly believe the Massachusetts Senator with no war record will actually follow through on the promises of the Wallace administration or whether the Wallace administration will fulfil it’s foreign policy goals in the coming weeks but it’s safe to say a large part of the electorate in states like Ohio rest on those decisions.

george-wallace_1710856c.jpg

Wallace promised to withdraw 75,000 troops from Thailand in two years in his famous New American Dream speech here at Ohio State University in 1971

The third state I visited in my trip across the battle grounds was Wisconsin. The heart of the battle for Unions between Wallace and Brooke is perfectly tested in a state like Wisconsin. It has one of the largest union membership rates in the nation at 20.9%, but it doesn’t have the variables of a large liberal African American population like its neighbor Michigan, or a Jim Crow past like other union heavy states like Kentucky and Missouri. It is the white, suburban, union voter that Wallace best appealed to in 1972 that make up most of the voting population in this swing state. Reaffirming family values lost in Kennedy’s sexual promiscuity, coming from a white collar poor background and fighting for the working man with progressive labor friendly policies, and protecting from outsiders that will threaten their jobs and their families. Wallace won 78% of the Union vote for that reason in 1972 and sweeping the Midwest was key not only to his Presidential victory but capturing the Democratic primary itself.

But that lead is threatened. Ed Brooke is no Charles Percy – an out of touch Chicago elite businessman – he is in many ways just as appealing to those core pro-labor values that were uncontested for Wallace four years ago. Brooke has run a transformative campaign, shifting the GOP from a socially progressive but generally pro-business party to a champion of the undercommons. A liberal giant that claims he wants to expand the welfare state and fight tirelessly for the working man. Many labor groups are heading this call – the AFL-CIO nearly split earlier this year when members of the American Federation of Labor attempted to endorse Brooke separately from the CIO’s endorsement of the President. But his left wing campaigning doesn’t necessarily appeal to all of this blue collar base.

4iDqvWs.jpg

Brooke campaigning with 1968 Republican nominee and former Vice President Richard Nixon in Wisconsin

“Many of these voters – these sure Wallace voters from four years ago - are sheltered, suburban, and most importantly white,” says David Gillwin a political correspondent at NBC, “This is where Wallace has probably been most skillful. Always distancing himself from the race issue that has been so volatile and touchy, he has spun it to his advantage with this base using outside campaigners and skillful advertising to play up racial tensions along economic lines with these voters. Brooke may be more in line to champion their ideas, but they don’t like it. And Wallace has done a great job at hitting them where it hurts – in their paranoia. They are one of the few bases that still supports the war, they are leery of welfare, and they are against public bussing. On the other hand they feel that Brooke champions union and blue collar causes in the workplace and are less likely to believe Wallace will now than when had his Washington outsider image four years ago. ”

It’s this battle for the hearts of the populist voter that will surely decide some of these key Midwestern battleground states. I landed in Green Bay, the quintessential small union town to speak to some of the residents. I met Milton Patterson in a diner, he wore a woolskin cap and had a Packers fleece on over a couple of sweatshirts. He agreed to speak to me as he sat alone on his lunch break eating some cream of broccoli soup, “I thought Wallace was going to really fight for the little guy, ya know? I thought he would stand up to the banks that were seizing our homes, he would take some of this tax burden off of us, he would make sure the only kids getting drafted weren’t from poor little towns like ours ya know? But I don’t think he has, I think he’s fallen into the Washington establishment – he’s been taken over by the big money interests of politics like the rest of em’. I don’t know how I feel about Ed Brooke yet, I don’t know if I trust him but my daughter, she keeps telling me that he really cares about me, about my interests, and I keep asking her ‘Didn’t you just say that four years ago about the other guy?’ ”

Both Brooke and Wallace have spent the last few days campaigning in Wisconsin. Wallace with Governor Patrick Lucey, disappointing to the Brooke campaign who hoped he would switch affiliations to the more liberal Brooke. They both seem to understand the importance of this key stone electoral state and party whips have done a good job in keeping state officials along party lines in this election cycle.

The final stop in my journey took me to Henderson, Nevada. Nevada has been a bell weather of sorts – going with the winner of the Presidential election in every election since 1908. The boom of gambling out of Las Vegas starting in the 1960s has turned the state to the left and given Republicans one of their best chances to hold the mid-southwest. Furthermore, the town of Henderson has a booming Hispanic population which will decide the fate of states like Nevada not just now but for years to come. Demographic estimates project that New Mexico will have a majority Hispanic population within 20 years and California within 40. Currently Wallace trails 59%-41% with Hispanics across the country. I came to see the effect that both of these candidates’ messages were having on this new growing Hispanic population.
“People are worried that Wallace wants to deport them. That he’s xenophobic. Much of the message that’s resonating with African Americans in how Wallace is perceived on race issues is relevant to Hispanics as well,” I spoke to Marlon Cespedes a community organizer here in Henderson, “Many people here cannot vote – they are not citizens yet. But they will be, and many people across this state are quickly gaining their citizenship. Politicians are going to have to learn that we are a new generation of voting Americans and adapt to listen to our issues as well rather than attacking and exploiting us as they have been prone to do. Otherwise, we are a pressure cooker of public discontent waiting to explode on them.”

This is not going to be the election cycle that Hispanic vote turns a presidential race on its head. Arizona and New Mexico, two of the states with the highest Hispanic populations in the nation, are certainly going to give their electors to Wallace this year. But it is how the parties set their message with voters now that will resonate in the future. As this base grows if the party of tighter border control and deportation doesn’t shift more towards the platform on immigration of the party of paths to citizenship for students and skilled workers and increased trade with Mexico then Democrats will lose all progress in this southwest region that they have battled to make a swing region.

It’s the face of the blue collar worker in Wisconsin, the student protester in Ohio, the anti-government oil man in Alaska, and the young Hispanic boy in Nevada that will decide this election. Yet it goes beyond that. The 1976 election is a fight for the future of the United States and a referendum on how we as a nation want to approach this tumultuous next four years. With so much on the line, with so many new demographics emerging and political entities rising, with just three weeks left, it is right now impossible to say who will squeak out a victory. We may see history, the first African American every elected President, or we may give Wallace another chance to prove he can fulfill he lofty promises he pulled us in with in 1972. But this election's been a fickle one - a Wallace victory looked certain at the start of the campaign, them Brooke was up nearly twenty percent, now with polls tied going into the final three weeks of the election all we can hope is the leader chosen for the next four years will make the strong decisions to guide us through America’s troubles.

Last edited: