Who Would Have Been Better Alexander Haig or Donald Rumsfeld?

I wonder how Haig and Rumsfeld would feel about each other if they ever met.

They definetely met a few times when Haig was SACEUR and Rumsfeld Secretary of Defense in the Ford Administration and also definetely met at a 2005 former secretaries of defense and state meeting. It's a good question what they thought of each other.

Last edited:
Rumsfeld get's more of a bum deal because Iraq is more recent that "I'm in charge here". Between the two for POTUS it's Rumsfeld by several light years. He had been a congressman and had considerable executive experience. I really think his reputation is undersold because of Iraq. Haig was a political general and out-of-uniform he was a political courtier. Zero qualifications to be a President. Bupkis!

Rumsfeld get's more of a bum deal because Iraq is more recent that "I'm in charge here". Between the two for POTUS it's Rumsfeld by several light years. He had been a congressman and had considerable executive experience. I really think his reputation is undersold because of Iraq. Haig was a political general and out-of-uniform he was a political courtier. Zero qualifications to be a President. Bupkis!
Haig was chief of staff for both Nixon and Ford, Supreme Allied Commander for NATO, and Secretary of State under Reagan.

They definetely met a few times when Haig was SACEUR and Rumsfeld Secretary of Defense in the Ford Administration and also definetely met at a 2005 former secretaries of defense and state meeting. It's a good question what they thought of each other.
I don't think they ever really talked about each other much, most likely because they met very sparingly. Though if I had to guess they may end up hating each other if they had any prolonged meetings.

I could be completely wrong but my vaguely under-informed sense is that Haig had a sense of honor and Rumsfeld has an attitude.

It still comes down to Haig being a courtier without independent political existence and electoral experience. Rumsfeld is like HGW Bush in having been a congressman before his appointive positions. Haig's do not become President, HGW proves that a Rumsfeld can.