WI: Henry of Huntingdon dies young

What if Henry of Huntingdon dies young, leaving King David of Scots with no successor besides his nieces Matilda the Empress and Matilda of Boulogne (wife of the usurper Stephen)? Could either of them potentially inherit his throne, and if so, how would this affect the war of succession in England?

What if Henry of Huntingdon dies young, leaving King David of Scots with no successor besides his nieces Matilda the Empress and Matilda of Boulogne (wife of the usurper Stephen)? Could either of them potentially inherit his throne, and if so, how would this affect the war of succession in England?

Actually since Scotland still practiced Tanistry it'll likely go to William Fitz Duncan Earl of Moray and son of Duncan II.
That is since Henry dies young William will get more freedoms and will be more likely to produce his own heir.

Actually since Scotland still practiced Tanistry it'll likely go to William Fitz Duncan Earl of Moray and son of Duncan II.
That is since Henry dies young William will get more freedoms and will be more likely to produce his own heir.

I thought David's brother Alexander was the first king who inherited the throne of Scotland? It went to David on his death.

So a contest between heirs by primogeniture and tanist claimants?

Oéngus of Moray (grandson of King Lulach) and Matad of Atholl (grandson of Donnchad I) and Uchtred of Tynedale (husband of Bethóc, daughter of King Donald III) are potential players as well.

Obviously my personal preference would be to see Matilda recognized as Queen of Scots and using Lothian as a base against which to displace Stephen and rival Scots queen Matilda :D