WI: US military base in Gaza, 1951

• Thread starter Deleted member 67076
  • Start date

Deleted member 67076

According to the book Nasser's Blessed Movement by Joel Gordon, the US army once considered shifting regional command of American troops to either Cyprus or Gaza when starting to participate in Joint Middle Eastern Command in Cold War exercises in 1951.

Suppose they go through with it and a new base is formed in Gaza, then under Egyptian control. How would this affect regional policy and US military/political concerns? How does Israel react? Or Nasser, assuming the Free Officer moment continues with its historical trajectory?

If Eisenhower still becomes POTUS in this scenario, then i can see Israel having much less justification to intervene in the Suez Crisis of 1957.

If Eisenhower still becomes POTUS in this scenario, then i can see Israel having much less justification to intervene in the Suez Crisis of 1957.

I think the Israel-Egypt border as a whole will possibly be a politer place. Both Egypt and Israel will likely think twice before they decide to fire munitions over a US military base.

It would be really interesting to see how this would affect the economy of Gaza.

More Palestinian-Americans earlier. Social mixing and intermarriage between US personnel and Christian Gazans, leading to chain migration into US.

Deleted member 67076

More Palestinian-Americans earlier. Social mixing and intermarriage between US personnel and Christian Gazans, leading to chain migration into US.
Would they become an important political lobby?

An earlier Palestinian diaspora in America can help jumpstart the formation of a pro-Arab lobbying group (re: NAAA) to counteract pro-Israeli groups like AZCPA. Would the United States if they maintained their ties with Egypt recognize the Gaza Protectorate as a sovereign state and prevent its disestablishment?

Okay, now I want a TL where both Egypt and Israel go fully communist, while US Gaza becomes the West-Berlin of the middle-east!

According to the book Nasser's Blessed Movement by Joel Gordon, the US army once considered shifting regional command of American troops to either Cyprus or Gaza when starting to participate in Joint Middle Eastern Command in Cold War exercises in 1951.

Suppose they go through with it and a new base is formed in Gaza, then under Egyptian control. How would this affect regional policy and US military/political concerns? How does Israel react? Or Nasser, assuming the Free Officer moment continues with its historical trajectory?
Probably a lot more rat-fuckery to overthrow Nasser (Naguib instead?), but not to the point of supporting any actual NATO invasion.

The thing is, I don't think the pre-'67 position of the US was necessarily pro-Israel, who were often deemed as mildly pro-Soviet.

Deleted member 67076

Probably a lot more rat-fuckery to overthrow Nasser (Naguib instead?), but not to the point of supporting any actual NATO invasion.

The thing is, I don't think the pre-'67 position of the US was necessarily pro-Israel, who were often deemed as mildly pro-Soviet.
The thing is Nassers rise took the US by surprise, and he was initially very friendly to the US. Of course the Free officers might not even declare a republic here if they got more US support anyway, so this is anyones game.

Just wondering, were there even a lot of Palestinian Christians in Gaza? I always had the feeling that the desent share of the lived in West Bank...

The thing is Nassers rise took the US by surprise, and he was initially very friendly to the US. Of course the Free officers might not even declare a republic here if they got more US support anyway, so this is anyones game.
They were Republicanists they won’t keep the monarchy unless they have to

Answering the OP’s question in turn- farouk grants this, Britain feels a little intruded upon. It’s a tough sell for the US to be able to stay in position after Free Officers take over. The only appeal of the Americans is they are not British and might hasten their departure.

Gaza is the only terrritory under Egyptian administration I could see them accepting a western base. They won’t be giving the US based on the canal.

MB, at least Qutb’s faction, will not be happy at all.

How will Israel react? Carefully.

Would fedayeen try to jump out from under the Americans to raid Israel?

Egypt might set up a rule like Saudi Arabia pre-62, no American Jewish personnel.

American service people would hear a fresh and raw refugee perspective, but the US troop presence would provide job and business opportunities, and also “morally corrupt” the place.

By far Christians are more numerous in the West Bank than Gaza, but I think there would be some.

I don’t know how strictly Egypt controlled population movements in and out of Gaza and how strictly they enforced any controls. If the controls or enforcement are loose I could see some Palestinians in UNRWA camps in Lebanon, Syria and Jordan moving to Gaza for jobs.

Deleted member 67076

They were Republicanists they won’t keep the monarchy unless they have to
The same book I mentioned actually pointed out they weren't Republican until after a political deadlock with the regent following Farouk's departure. At first the Free Officers favored a return to the status quo; ending political deadlock by taking over in order to call for elections and resume things as normal. Of course, that didn't happen since the parties just assembled again and used their political machines to keep the gridlock in place. And then Farouk was too stubborn to try anything to change the status quo.