WI: with Vienna, not Budapest in 1868?

In OTL 1868, following the Austro-Hungarian Ausgleich, Croatia-Slavonia made it's own Ausgleich with Hungary. OTL the Croats practically signed away their independence to Budapest, but the decision lay with the Croatian parliament.

However, at the time the Sabor was splint into two camps (well, okay, three, but the radical nationalist fringe is of no interest to us at this point ... they were insignificant anyway). One, which won OTL in a rather dubious election, argued for a compromise with Budapest. The other argued for a compromise with Vienna (and probably angling for a unification with Dalmatia).

So, here's the gist of the question: what if the group arguing for a compromise with Vienna won? Would Vienna agree? Would the Croats make as bad a treaty as they did OTL and, thus, make the PoD irrelevant? Trialism in 1868? Who knows?

I don't, 's why I'm asking. :p

The Austrians certainly wouldn't have been eager. If represented in Vienna, the Croats would have been liable to ally with the Czechs against the Germans, upsetting the political balance in the Reichsrat.

Susano

Banned
In OTL 1868, following the Austro-Hungarian Ausgleich, Croatia-Slavonia made it's own Ausgleich with Hungary. OTL the Croats practically signed away their independence to Budapest, but the decision lay with the Croatian parliament.

However, at the time the Sabor was splint into two camps (well, okay, three, but the radical nationalist fringe is of no interest to us at this point ... they were insignificant anyway). One, which won OTL in a rather dubious election, argued for a compromise with Budapest. The other argued for a compromise with Vienna (and probably angling for a unification with Dalmatia).

So, here's the gist of the question: what if the group arguing for a compromise with Vienna won? Would Vienna agree? Would the Croats make as bad a treaty as they did OTL and, thus, make the PoD irrelevant? Trialism in 1868? Who knows?

I don't, 's why I'm asking. :p

This is not possible under the terms of the Ausgleich. Thats why the Croats did agitate for compromise - because elsewise they would have been reduced to nothing more at all then just normal Hungarian comitates. Croatia was recogniced as a territory of the St Stephens Crown in the Ausgleich, and thats that. Vienna wont violate the agreement a single year later!

The Austrians certainly wouldn't have been eager. If represented in Vienna, the Croats would have been liable to ally with the Czechs against the Germans, upsetting the political balance in the Reichsrat.

If the Croatians were part of the Reichsrat half of the Empire, yes, but if they were an own Ausgleich partner then Vienna would be a natural ally against Hungarian ambitions so in that case no, IMO.

The Austrians would not want to upset the Magyars this soon after the Ausgleich. A Croatian compromise with Vienna without Budapest involved was just never in the cards.

The Austrians would not want to upset the Magyars this soon after the Ausgleich. A Croatian compromise with Vienna without Budapest involved was just never in the cards.

Oh, that I can agree with. Vienna's in no position to agree having put Croatia-Slavonia into the Hungarian camp, but the simple request would cause quite a stir.

After all, the competition between the two groups in the Croat parliament was relatively close OTL, the pro-Austrian party winning isn't all that unlikely. I'm more curious as to the consequences of the Croats actually sending a delegation to Vienna requesting to make a compromise with Austria instead of the Hungarians.