Wittgenstein the Aeronautic Engineer

Ludwig Wittgenstein's father constantly pushed him to become an engineer and develop what appeared to be the calling of his genius. Ludwig became interested in Aeronautics during his studies, and at the age of 19 traveled to Manchester to studied the dynamics of Kite flight. At the age of 21 he filed his first patent for a novel aircraft engine. In OTL at this point he left aeronautics and began his study of mathematics and logic. But what if he pressed onwards with building aircrafts, this might lead to some interesting WIs.

First of all, I tend to think that at this time Aeronautics was definitely an open field where novel designs could make interesting butterflies for future airplanes.

Then another knock off would be his service in WWI on the side of the AustroHungarians; what if he developed airplanes for them instead of serving in the Infantry. I don't see him making a humongous impact, since he was extremely difficult to work with. He was never a team player in any way.

Then if we think the Central Powers go down anyways, where does he go after the war? Austria is suffering from mass inflation, a loss of empire, and anti-semitism. In OTL he left in 1929 for England, but on the other hand he was an Austrian engineer who built planes that bombed allied soldiers perhaps either the Austrian government or the British government would not let him return. Apparently he played with the idea of either immigrating to Russia or Palestine, a friend of his immigrated to Tel Aviv in 1934. And in the 20's bolshevik Russia had not become Stalinist yet, and generally it was painted as a rosy paradise by many visitors. Perhaps Wittgenstein Aero-Engines opens up in Tel-Aviv, or does he build the Soviets the first Jet Engine in 1940.

I have no idea about the questions you pose, but I do want to congratulate you for using a philosopher in your alternate-history ideas. I suspect that if he did pursue a career in aircraft design, there would always be a bit of a question about his work - did he really know the rules of aeronautics, or was he just going on in the same way?

... sorry, I'll try not to make any more obscure philosophy jokes...

His first patent at the age of nineteen was quite a unique way of solving the problem of a light yet powerful aircraft engine. It was a propeller where basically, air and vaporized fuel fed through the hub of a radially armed motor are driven along each arm into a small terminating combustion chamber whose exit nozzle emits a resulting pressurized jet. The arms are described as tubular and formed or fitted with an airscrew propeller blade.

The propeller was to rocket itself around and around causing lift to occur. While this seems outlandish, later Austrian scientists came to the same conclusion when building the worlds first Helicopter.

wnfaa.jpg

This machine was developed as early as 1941 by Friedrich Doblhoff, Theodor Laufer, and August Stefan. Interestingly August Stefan later joined the Fairey Aviation company which produced this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9633v6U0wo&feature=feedlik