You might be a yankee if...

Leo Caesius

Banned
Beck Reilly said:
That'd be "Comm Ave" to almost all Bostonians.
Well, chalk that up to one more yankism.

If you've parked your car on CommAve and took a walk through the Common, you might be a Yankee...

One thing about Boston (which relates to what DN said) is that it is probably the only city in the world where people give you directions such as "You take a right at the big Citgo sign down the one-way street to Commonwealth Ave. Now, there aren't any street signs on Commonwealth Ave, so you'll have to look out for the Dunkin Donuts and make a right there..."

It's the lack of street signs that forces us to adopt this kind of behavior. Sometimes, there are street signs. They're just strategically positioned so that someone in a car on the road either can't see them at all, or can only see them when it's too late to act on them. :mad:

They're just strategically positioned so that someone in a car on the road either can't see them at all, or can only see them when it's too late to act on them

Nope, this isn't a Yankee's. I think there is a secret school somewhere that teaches road Engineers how to hide street signs.

You may be a Yankee-- if you have ever bought out of a cracker Barrel.

Paul Spring said:
It's the lack of street signs that forces us to adopt this kind of behavior. Sometimes, there are street signs. They're just strategically positioned so that someone in a car on the road either can't see them at all, or can only see them when it's too late to act on them. :mad:
Worse is Westfield. According to Katie, the most entertaining activity kids have in that town is stealing street signs (might explain why she's still a virgin :cool: ). Makes getting around town hard if, hypothetically, you're picking someone up for a first date or something like that. :rolleyes:

Raymann

Banned
I'm from Louisiana, I was spelling it how its pronounced, drawn out and such.

My point earlier was that, for the most part, only blacks say that up North (I'm living in New York now) where as in the South everyone says it.

Leo Caesius said:
Well, someone once said, "If there ain't a Dunkin Donuts by the highway, you aren't in New England."

One thing about Boston (which relates to what DN said) is that it is probably the only city in the world where people give you directions such as "You take a right at the big Citgo sign down the one-way street to Commonwealth Ave. Now, there aren't any street signs on Commonwealth Ave, so you'll have to look out for the Dunkin Donuts and make a right there..."
Bostonians drive too fast to read signs ;)

Max Sinister said:
The rest was easy, but I didn't get this particular one.
This one is an adaptation of OTL Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a redneck if you've ever had to haul a can of paint to the water tower to defend your sister's honour"

Basically say your sister's name is Earlene... and somebody writes in big paint on the water tower "Earlene is a Whore!", Well now you gotta go paint it over.

Last edited:
Raymann said:
I'm from Louisiana, I was spelling it how its pronounced, drawn out and such.

I understand. I only point out the correct spelling because knowing the correct spelling can be useful. Case in point...when I was in college in Nevada, I was taking a Spanish course. My Spanish teacher...a damnyankee...used to poke fun at my pronunciation of some Spanish phrases, as my Southern accent came through. One day he was engaged in this and said, "This is how Robert ought to say that...." He then wrote the phrase "Como esta usted, ya'll" on the board. At which point I said, "You mis-spelled y'all! If you are going to engage in stereotyping, you should learn the lingo a little better." The class roared with laughter, and the teacher never attempted anything like that again.

Raymann said:
My point earlier was that, for the most part, only blacks say that up North (I'm living in New York now) where as in the South everyone says it.

I understand that as well, and agree with it. I remember as a teenager going to Boy Scout Camp in Pennsylvania one summer. When we met Scouts from places like New York and New Jersey, they would take on a superior attitude and comment that we Southerners "talked like black people." To which I replied, "No, black people talk like us. We're all Southerners."

You might be a yankee if.....

your order tea in South Carolina and are surprised to get Ice Cold SWEET tea.

you don't care who won the Civil War.

felt your nuts freezin' for half an hour and then realized your fly's open.

have ever ridden in a sleigh.

you have no idea of the diffrence between Carolina and Texas barbecue.

can listen to the CB for an hour and have no idea what the truckers are talking about.

don't know who is carved on Stone Mountain.

Raymann

Banned
Robert, all true. Actually my accent is a bit Creole so the little French I do know is spoken well.

1. You think barbaque is is throwing some meat on a grill.

2. Your hot sauce is anything but Tobascco.

3. You visit Southern Flordia and think you've been in the South.

4. You're confused when everyone nods their head or says hi to you.

5. You think booty's can be too big.

6. You think 90 degrees is hot.

7. You think everyone flying a Confederate flag is a racist.

Falcon1976 said:
This one is an adaptation of OTL Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a redneck if you've ever had to haul a can of paint to the water tower to defend your sister's honour"

Basically say your sister's name is Earlene... and somebody writes in big paint on the water tower "Earlene is a Whore!", Well now you gotta go paint it over.

OK, got it. Well, I don't have a sister, so I never had to do that.

Raymann

Banned
Originally Posted by Falcon1976

Then you go grab your shotgun