Your region in Dies the Fire?

We got posters from all over the world here, I think.

How do you think your local/general region would do in the "Dies the Fire" scenario?

poorly. This part of WY is not so good for surface water, and isn't a great agricultural region. Lots of windmills would be put up to pump water. Due to the large number (comparatively) of people in Cheyenne vs. the agricultural ability of the area to grow food... mass starvation. Eventually, after the Great Die-Off, you'd have a small number of people surviving mainly on herding cattle and growing grain and vegetables in the places suitable for it... but the growing season here is damn short, so people would be limited to growing those things that grow fast and produce a lot in a short time... potatoes, barley, etc. Without rail and truck traffic, the area around here really isn't that important or strategic, so it's unlikely that any of the warlord wannabees will bother whoever is left...

Faeelin

Banned
As some one in New Jersey, I'm eaten by the cannibal hordes.

Incidentally, this is part of the reason I don't like this series.

So touchy Faeelin is.

I was in the E train under Queens when the event hit, more than sixty miles from home, and trapped with my closest exit an island of more than two million people known to be abrasive in the best of times, but do you hear me complain?

Faeelin's in New Jersey too?:confused:

Leo Caesius

Banned
Faeelin's in New Jersey too?:confused:
Yes. All American AH.Com members are either from Michigan, New Jersey, or lying about their location.

Dave Howery, for example, claims to be from "Wyoming," which, as we all know, is a wilderness preserve owned wholly by the federal government and virtually untouched by man.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I am fairly sure I was killed in a Battle Royale with a dozen other over the last can of Van de Camp's in the S.F. Bay Area.

Quite tragic, really.

:p

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Yes. All American AH.Com members are either from Michigan, New Jersey, or lying about their location.

Dave Howery, for example, claims to be from "Wyoming," which, as we all know, is a wilderness preserve owned wholly by the federal government and virtually untouched by man.

Not true!

I live within mere miles of the All Powerful Ian, Arbitrator of all that is AH.

Leo, I thought Wyoming was the designated nuclear test site for the US and it had recently been discovered that it was not completely evacuated when Harry Truman made this decision in 1951, that a few small families had refused to leave and their mutated descendents continued to eke out a precarious existance by preying on innocent passersby?

As for this discovery that ever more members of AH are actually close by...

Well, everyone who can't flee with food to the San Juans is going to starve to death in my area; eventually, the survivors come under the dominion of the Protectorate of Portland.

Pretty bloody sad.....:eek: :(

Leo Caesius

Banned
Leo, I thought Wyoming was the designated nuclear test site for the US and it had recently been discovered that it was not completely evacuated when Harry Truman made this decision in 1951, that a few small families had refused to leave and their mutated descendents continued to eke out a precarious existance by preying on innocent passersby?
Eh, wildlife preserve, nuclear test site... what's the difference, really? ;)

Leo, whether Dave is one of those massively anti-social types back with a lifestyle from the 19th Century or one of those massively anti-social cannibalistic mutations from The Hills Have Eyes with an even more primitive lifestyle.

Otherwise nothing.

Very poorly.

Either all the surivors will start living on the boats that don't work with motors or there's going to be a huge diaspora out of Hawaii and to places that can sustain them.

That and the civil unrest it will cause.

If I recall the Big Island is a dead zone but the small ones came out "ok-ish"
me well as a reenactor I just might carve out a small kingdom :rolleyes: (hey the guy from the sca did it, and the group that I'm in make them look like begingers) Ok maybe not a kingdom but in charge of a regement of pike , if we survive the winters here in the Twin Cities .

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
If I recall the Big Island is a dead zone but the small ones came out "ok-ish"

I thought it was the other way around?

The Big Isand has actual farms and ranches. Oahu, on the other hand, has vast majority of the State's population in Honolulu.

IIRC Steve said that the Big Island was decent place, as such thing so, to be when the ISOT occurred.

I'm pleasently surprised that there's Mainlanders who refer to the Island of Hawaii as "the Big Island".

I always thought that was a Hawaiian thing...

:)

The Big Isand has actual farms and ranches. Oahu, on the other hand, has vast majority of the State's population in Honolulu.

IIRC Steve said that the Big Island was decent place, as such thing so, to be when the ISOT occurred.

There's actually other islands that can reach the status that the Big Island has in the books (I for one didn't come across that line in the first one). O'ahu is pretty much screwed - although for the city. There are places on the Leeward/Windward side of the island where self-sufficency is practiced. Molokai is pretty much the low side of population numbers - so perhaps they would experience an increase...

-- correct. It's Oahu that goes completely pear-shaped.

I visited Stirling's site, as I do often for the latest chapters, and I saw an article about creating a Wiccan tribe, in a world where ASBs have deprived humanity of most of current technology. A veddy intahresting article indeed.

I was just wondering when we might expect to see the first book from this.

;)

I think i am dead. I happen to live in the part of Sweden were there are around 1-2 million people within a days walk. Some farms, but not enough to survive.

Most of Europe died according to Stirling