After Palma: Vikings of the Balearics

Chapter II: He Who Is Free​

Palma de Mallorca, August 1118...

His lips pressed tightly together, the King's eyes flickered as brightly as the crisp blue water of the fjords in summer. At the one side, his wife, all long flowing locks the color of chestnuts and burnt skin like a Moor. Ah, María. Only her proud bearing and piercing green eyes truly betrayed the Visigothic pedigree she spoke so frequently of. On the other side the young King, his brother Olaf, no longer the child who had set sail in search of glory, but still a scrawny stripling innocent to the ways of the world. With him his German bride, the Emperor's fat bastard girl, plump and rosy. Arrayed behind them stood Sigurd's hirdmen and then Olaf's - countrymen, save for the odd excellent Dane or Norman chosen to represent his fellows.

It was these men who had silenced the Bishop's protests and brought Sigurd his crozier (the pastoral staff) and signet ring. The people had cheered, delighted that their great King should also shepherd them spiritually from now on, as was his prerogative and their desire.

Sigurd turned to see the throng assembling itself behind him. The trustworthy faces of his countrymen, Arabs and Normans beyond count, selected pockets of Frankish and Englishmen, Gascons and Lombards too. Loudest of all their women, of every hue and tribe, weeping as they had done all day since sunrise. Such affection had surprised him, despite the warnings he had received - he did not think even half of these women had been here at the time, fewer still would have laid eyes upon her.

Her.

In the new royal mythology Sigurd was devising, there was no overlap between his marriages. Maximilla had been his legitimate and beloved Queen, as Maria now was. His first wife, an Irish princess he had wed in youth, was obliterated from history altogether. Maximilla's piety and chastity were notorious; her martyrdom the outward sign of a preexisting sainthood. In truth, he had liked her well enough. No great romance, but good enough sex and the loyalty of some most useful Normans. Now she rose to the heavens as patron and protectress of the community.

The women, he realized, did not weep for her: they wept for themselves, and the sons they would lose if their saintly patroness did not come through for them.

A sway of the pastoral staff sufficed to silence the rabble. Even the copious tears of the womenfolk ceased immediately.

In silence the Kings poured libations in the ground, followed by their queens and hirdsmen. Incensed filled the air as the Kings lead two horses and slit their throats, letting the blood fall on the newly planted saplings. In time these would form a grove surrounding the late Queen's place of death and final resting place. Her remains - so claimed the locals, Sigurd could not tell - had been salvaged and interred where the Saracens had cut her down. Every year since the women gathered there, weeping and praying, while the men watched in silence. Upon his return to the island Sigurd had attempted to ignore, and then suppress, the practice. On this point alone the people would not heed their King. His men returned with captured Moors, Italians, even African dames purchased or wrested from the hands of Moorish sheiks and merchants. And sure enough they were there, the following year, crying for a Queen they had never seen and barely heard of.

So now a grove and a church of stone to house her body.

On the King's signal the abbatocomes let the women through. The only one of the men to join in their chanting, he lead them in prayer. This marked the end of their mourning and made way for the afternoon's festivities - a joyous Mass celebrated in open-air, the womenfolk and youth dancing about a maypole somewhat resembling a cross. This they did in joy for the resurrection of the Christ and the assured resurrection, salvation and future victory of the Queen Maximilla and all his/her people.​
---
Valencia, September 1118...

"Not these!"

The King beckoned to the man, both of them breathless and covered in blood. One of his mother's people, a towering Icelandic chieftain by the name of Sæmundsson, Sigurd regarded him as a brother and kinsman. Sigurd's sole sister of the full blood had married the man's brother -in such distant lands, enough to make a man a brother. The King knew he would get no reply beside that angry (and somewhat startled) grunt. The Icelander was prone to forget his Christianity, and his Latin letters and all the learning his father had passed onto him, in the immediate aftermath of a successful raid. He and his men made free use of the defeated men and women. The Kings' men had been all too eager to emulate what was, after all, traditional Viking behavior - the collection of booty and the final, complete assertion of the Vikings' dominance. Babies fairer than their mothers soon followed, testifying to the profligacy of this policy.

These men, however, were javelin throwers, captured as they attempted to reassemble or flee. The King stomped over, limping somewhat. His warriors lined the men up, making them all kneel before the King, who pressed the cold bloodstained blade against the skin of the quivering man's throat.

A choice: slavery or baptism.

"From now on any who will forego his heresy and be baptized in the holy name of the Christ will serve in our fighting bands and enjoy freedom from all molestation. Those who cling to the Devil's way are solely to blame for their end, rejecting the bounty of God and King for the life of an animal, to be run through or sold at will."

The King's men nodded in half-agreement. Only two of the javelin throwers dared deny the King's mercy. The sight of their disfigured, flayed remains was deterrent enough for the rest. Henceforth assigned to Sæmundsson's service, they would fight the Lord's battles and in time come to own their own thrall .​

Thanks for all your posts - I have to rush now but I'll reply properly tomorrow! Any feedback is most welcome.

The Icelander is my new favorite character.

Very cool. Can't wait for more. This is possibly the most original timeline premise on the site as of right now

Cool update.

So will this lead to a Nordic tongue in the Med?

They need more than a couple thousand Norse. Stranger things have happened, mind you, but I don't think so. I'm gunning for either something like Maltese or Mozarabic and Catalan, with Arabic and Norse loan words.

Deleted member 67076

Hey, is this gonna affect the Varangian guard at some point?

I thought most of the Norse who ended up in the Varangian Guard were Swedes or Rus. In any case, if it's affected that much, perhaps there would be much more noticeable Anglo-Saxon element in the Guard. And speaking of the Guard, perhaps King Sigurd can do well in taking a page out of the Janissaries and encourage the harvesting of Muslim youth and have them become badass Christian knights! Eh? Eh? :D

The Varangian Guard partly came off by troops loaned by King Vladimir of Kiev to the Emperor Basil II to help in internal struggles around 988.
Later King Harold Hardrada served with the Guard before going home claiming Norway 1046 though this is by TTL in the dark days shrouded by mist related by the bard at the feast.

Cool update.

They need more than a couple thousand Norse. Stranger things have happened, mind you, but I don't think so. I'm gunning for either something like Maltese or Mozarabic and Catalan, with Arabic and Norse loan words.

Don't forget additions from the Berber dialects.

To me, it appears you've butterflied away their future Mediterranean adventures.

Anyhow I have studied the Mediterranean middle ages some, I'm not sure if I can provide anything you don't already know but feel free to ask.

Oh yes - which I guess will force them to focus their attentions elsewhere?

Fantastic - can you tell me anything about the Normans? How many there were, how frequently intermarriage with locals happened? Any info on Greeks and relations with Byzantium would be most welcome too :D

To hold onto the African cities, Sigurd will either have to find some way to convert them to Christianity or himself convert to Islam.

Or just make the cities achieve new heights of economic prosperity.

Because the Spanish converted to Islam when they took over Andalusia and the Ottomans converted to Christianity when they took over the Eastern Roman Empire...

False dichotomy- holding on to those cities against a vast, Muslim hinterland that can raid you and sap your manpower will be hard. It was different with the Ottomans- who used jizya and relative toleration, and the Spaniards, who used zealotry and the Inquisition. Furthermore, Sigurds powerbase is in Norway, and it'll be hard to hold on to these isolated cities.

Like King Roger did OTL, Sigurd could feasibly hold onto those cities, propping up local authorities loyal to him and paying tribute regularly in exchange for freedom of religion etc.

As for his power base, it's certainly a problem, but one he is taking steps to mitigate. Holding the double duchies of Apulia and Calabria certainly helps, as does the method of freeing slaves who convert and conscripting them into your forces. More and more Sigurd is developing ways of replenishing his forces and manning his conquests in a sustainable way.

Considering Sigurd is known OTL as Sigurd the Crusader, don't you think we can categorize him in the zealotry and inquisition pot?

By the way, Velasco, if you are in need of maps or anything, message me some details and I can draw one up

OTL he did create a new bishopric just to get around a Bishop's refusal to grant him the divorce he wanted. Simultaneously zealous and pragmatic :p

Definitely - I'll be messaging you shortly, probably once I'm done with the next update. Greatly appreciated!

There is zealotry, and then there is national-myth ultra-Catholic Reconquista zealotry.

Exactly! All in all it seems Kings of the period were given to zealotry but suddenly lost their conscience when it was beneficial to them. Sigurd certainly shed a lot of blood on his path to renown.

A Viking Mediterranean kingdom? consider me interested :D

:D :D :D
At this point in time, were there any remnants, linguistic enclaves etc of the last set of Nordic kingdoms in the Mediterranean, the Vandals and Visigoths?

I believe the Kings of Sweden had King of the Goths on their list of titles for a long time, and I think the Danish crown had the Vandals on its list untill 1972.

Unfortunately not :( That said, Visigothic Law was still the basis on which Christian Iberia functioned. It was translated into Catalan shortly after the POD, to recall, which works nicely given Sigurd's Catalan alliance and marriage to a Catalan princess. As time passes the Vikings will have need of laws and infrastructure to handle their new reality, and where better to find them than from their neighbors and newfound subjects?

I don't like that name. That sounds like a mountain fort up in Kevian Rus.

Also will we be seeing raids on Egypt?

We're headed east real soon ;)

The Icelander is my new favorite character.

Very cool. Can't wait for more. This is possibly the most original timeline premise on the site as of right now

Haha, glad you like. Woo-hoo! I have plans for him ;)

Yep, as you imply, there's plenty more to the mix than just Norsemen and Saracens. I'm not even sure how things will develop right now, as I'd rather develop the story as feels most natural and then see where things land linguistically, culturally, etc.

The Varangian Guard partly came off by troops loaned by King Vladimir of Kiev to the Emperor Basil II to help in internal struggles around 988.
Later King Harold Hardrada served with the Guard before going home claiming Norway 1046 though this is by TTL in the dark days shrouded by mist related by the bard at the feast.

Apparently there were plenty of Anglo-Saxons in their ranks, especially after 1066. OTL most of Sigurd's men enlisted as well once his Crusade was done. They remained on in Constantinople for quite some time and there were 'Varangians' existing as a separate ethnic entity as late as 1400. If I'm not mistaken Edgar Atheling is even rumoured to have fought there for a time.

ingemann

Banned
I looked into the Aragonese conquest of the Balearics, and it made me think a few thoughts about the linguistic situation.

The Aragonese seem to have replaced the pre-conquest population almost completely, this may seem extreme, but it really wasn't that uncommon when small Mediterranean islands was conquered, and it connect easily with the Catalan replacement of the pre-conquest language/dialect.

The Norwegians will likely do the same to large extent, slaughter a lot of the locales and enslave the rest, when we mix this with the fact that Norse still had "Friller" (common law second wives/concubines) and with the large influx of a second waves of Norwegian crusaders, Norwegian could in fact replace the ,local spoken language.

Another aspect is the thralls, we often see thralls like we see early modern slaves, they were in fact in a quite different situation, there are examples of thralls serving as warriors when Norse was going viking (raiding/conquering), not just under their masters, but also unsupervised under other warlords, and using the loot to buy themselves free when they returned.
I personal think, that a thrall who convert to Christianity won't be given free, but will just receive a favoured position and allowed to keep loot (which he can use to buy himself free), if he served as warrior. This would mean the fast assimilation into Norse culture of the converts and the general accept into Balearic Norse society.

So what I'm saying is that we could see the Balearic end up as a Scandinavian speaking enclave in the Mediterranean. Of course the language will evolve with significant adoption from local Romance and Semitic languages.

I looked into the Aragonese conquest of the Balearics, and it made me think a few thoughts about the linguistic situation.

The Aragonese seem to have replaced the pre-conquest population almost completely, this may seem extreme, but it really wasn't that uncommon when small Mediterranean islands was conquered, and it connect easily with the Catalan replacement of the pre-conquest language/dialect.

The Norwegians will likely do the same to large extent, slaughter a lot of the locales and enslave the rest, when we mix this with the fact that Norse still had "Friller" (common law second wives/concubines) and with the large influx of a second waves of Norwegian crusaders, Norwegian could in fact replace the ,local spoken language.

Another aspect is the thralls, we often see thralls like we see early modern slaves, they were in fact in a quite different situation, there are examples of thralls serving as warriors when Norse was going viking (raiding/conquering), not just under their masters, but also unsupervised under other warlords, and using the loot to buy themselves free when they returned.
I personal think, that a thrall who convert to Christianity won't be given free, but will just receive a favoured position and allowed to keep loot (which he can use to buy himself free), if he served as warrior. This would mean the fast assimilation into Norse culture of the converts and the general accept into Balearic Norse society.

So what I'm saying is that we could see the Balearic end up as a Scandinavian speaking enclave in the Mediterranean. Of course the language will evolve with significant adoption from local Romance and Semitic languages.

Yes! Plausible Mediterranean Norse language! This TL just got a way to be EVEN COOLER!

Fantastic, some very interesting points. I've been trying to figure out how the Norwegians would fare initially - I'm guessing they'd have to pick up the Lingua Franca in order to deal with the Catalans, Arabs and Italians about them. I'm not sure whether Balearic Norse could ever come to replace the Lingua Franca, or simply mold/influence it in some way. What you say makes plenty sense - I imagine most men would be killed or enslaved, while the womenfolk would be put to work and breed by/with the Norsemen. Before long a new generation speaking a hybrid Norse-Arabic (assuming a Moor majority prior to conquest) tongue.

Interesting point on the thralls, I wasn't aware of that. What I was going for was a tiered caste system, with unbelievers at the very bottom, liable to any sort of abuse or treatment (primarily thinking of rape/beatings initially and being sold at slave markets afterward), while those who convert have a more privileged reality - assured housing and food with the possibility of ascension, even marriage and property of their own, etc. Perhaps they might be called "churls", automatically bound (in a way similar to Roman freedmen) to the King and/or the chieftain they are assigned to.

Yes! Plausible Mediterranean Norse language! This TL just got a way to be EVEN COOLER!

Haha - more coming soon! ;) :D

Chapter III: Valencia And Beyond

elcidj.jpg

The Tarragonan Crusade cemented King Sigurd's position as the figurehead of contemporary Crusading and his international fame as a great warrior. Still wielding the Papal banner, he made his first strides into the world of legend. Recapturing Valencia, he stormed nearby Morvedre and arrived in time to steal his father-in-law's glory at Tarragona, the focal point of the crusade recently convoked (at his behest) by Pope Formosus II. Nearby King Alfonso the Battler of Aragón made use of Murâbit disarray to take Zaragoza and make it his new capital. The two Kings met and pledged friendship. The Battler brought forth his aged kinswoman Ximena Diaz, the Cid's widow, to meet the King who had married her granddaughter and was now acclaimed as the new Campeador.

In reality Sigurd had already enjoyed fame before setting off on Crusade. In his first youth he accompanied his father on his expeditions, ruling in turn Orkney, Mann and the Isles, and putatively marrying the daughter of the High King of Ireland. In those seas Norsemen still ruled supreme, carrying far and wide the fame of King Sigurd Maurebane, the Saracen-slayer. The men he had sent home reached their destination, impressing his brother King Oystein with their stories and setting sail once more accompanied by their women, sons and brothers. From Ireland and the Isles came young men eager for loot and glory; in Denmark the Queen Margaret Fredkulla, Sigurd's former step-mother, promptly outfitted a flotilla to join him. From Ireland and the Isles came many men, eager to fight beside the great standard-bearer of the Roman Church.

At Palma Sigurd settled in for the Yuletide and to receive the year's newcomers. He lowered his mead cup when he heard the voice; it had been a long time since he had felt himself fall headlong into the pit of his stomach. The twang, the boom of the voice, were undeniable.
"Luldrottan!"

He would have known that voice anywhere. And he would have known the stern face right beside it anywhere too. When his father made him Jarl of Orkney as a child, it was lendmann Kol Kalisson who had governed in his name. Only the irritating twitch on his eyelid seemed to betray his inner turmoil; outwardly the King maintained his poise and sipped his mead some more.

"Maherra, maherra! Iramenner, tre fall batter."

He would have laughed if the Catalan boy's Norse wasn't so tragic. He watched the band moving toward him, as eagerly and short of breath as all the others before them had been. He saw the distinctive flame-licked hair tops bobbing up and down over the hill, smiling unwashed faces awash in freckles, bodies numb from many weeks spent at sea. He saw them both, but said nothing.
"Litlrdrottin!"
He did not think he had even seen Kalisson break a smile so wide. It was enough to melt even the iciest of hearts.
"A young King, just and kind! People, of loyal mind! Such brave men, soon agree! To distant lands they sail with glee! To the distant, Holy Land! A brave and pious band, magnificent and gay - in sixty long-ships, glide awaaaaaay!"
Their voices thundered, as did the roaring laughter that followed. The King chuckled heartily - it had been some time since he had heard his song. He opened his arms wide to embrace two old friends. The woman and boy he ignored, for now, her eyes anxiously flickering, her son's sheepishly focused downward. The golden curls shorn so closely did not allow him to disappear into the firey-haired throng as he wished.
"Kalisson! Ua Conchobair!"
They drank and laughed into the wee hours of the morn. The Queen did not think she had ever seen her husband so unburdened of his worries. Kalisson and Ua Conchobair took their time to broach the subject, either underestimating or attempt to assess Sigurd's memories of past times before speaking. Sigurd knew well enough: the woman had warmed his father's bed, the golden-haired youth was his brother of the half-blood.

"Sigurd...Sigurd. He is just a boy. She had him made deacon before coming to me, she thinks it will make him save. They call him Gillechrist, but your father named him Harald."
The King nodded. After what seemed an inordinately long pause, he spoke.
"I remember. She is your kinswoman, she married a Saxon afterwards, no?"

"She is sick Sigurd. She has come this far to commend her son to you. She hoped you would remember, but since she could not be sure, she implored me to come also, and spare him from trials and ordeals. I was always there, at your father's si-"

"Yes-yes I know Kalisson. Very well... He is 'commended'. My father's appetite considered it's surprising you've brought just the one."
He spied Kalisson's daughter retiring for the night. She was not so pretty, this Ingigird, but Norse women were a precious commodity in these parts.
"What news of Norway?"

"Oh! Many sing the praises of King Sigurd the Moor-bane, the Jerusalem-farer, Champion and Standard Bearer of the Chur-"

"Many? But not all? What do the others say?"

Ua Conchobair had remained oddly silent throughout.

"Well, Sigurd...heh..there are some, a few...who would say that you have been enchanted by blue-women, never to return to your kingdom nor ever set foot on the Holy Land, as you once pledged."

----
The King's Chambers, Barcelona, late March 1119...
The King sighed, as if purposely emptying his chest of all air; his Queen passed her fingers through his hair and sat beside him.
"Mio Çyd, what word from the East?"

"The Emperor and King of Jerusalem are both dead. The Empress wants to make her daughter rule in place of her son. The new King sends for succor, he finds himself beset on all sides by Saracen hordes. He offers his children and whatever treasures and relics we should wish for, if we would sail at once."

"Mhm. I have word from Apulia. The Lombards have seized Bari and imprisoned Queen Constance. The Pope has made their leader prince but he still refuses to release the Queen. Count Roger has vowed to free her, a favor for her brother the King of France."

"Ha!"

--
Bari, late April 1119...
The Lombards knew better than to defy the Maurebane and his Vikings. Their prince Grimoald Alferanites made his submission, allowing the King to enter the city unopposed. The Queen Constance was handed over together with her young son Bohemond. Sigurd spared Alferanites' life and accepted his homage, commanding him to expel the pirates from Melita (Malta) and focus his ambition in ruling it well as Sigurd's prince there.

In the grand scheme of things Alferanites was a non-factor, a means to an end. Queen Constance was the true prize. She was no longer young, that was true, but she was still the sister of the King of France.
"What do you want from me, oh great King?"
The translator's voice quivered some. The King eyed the Queen - well, "Queen" - up and down before finally speaking.
"You are free to go. I would ask, however, that you stay."

"My gratitude for your services, but I have no reason to stay. I am the sister of the King of France."
A wry smile evidenced what Sigurd suspected: she was negotiating.
"Indeed, and I would wish that you would be the same to me."
She tilted her head at the translator's words - not what she had expected.
"The laws...the rules, the laws...I cannot have you for wife. I ask therefore that you stay as my sister, marry my brother and sail with us east. I will protect your boy and place him on his father's throne."

"You will march on Antioch? And your brother, he will put away the German piglet?"

"Antioch is yours, or your son's, and whatever you ask for your dower, within my power, I will give you. My brother will keep the piglet, but there is Gillechristos, he is my brother also, the son and brother of Kings, a King in his own right if you wish him to be."

"You would that I marry a King without a Kingdom? A supposed brother, a bastard whelp?"

"The Kingdom I will provide, or would you dare call me liar? You forget it was not so long your fathers cleaned the stables for others who were Kings."

"Stables! My King confuses me with some other, surely."

"Aah...cleaned stables, patrolled marshes, what does it matter. They made their own fortune, and so do we. Come with me to Jerusalem and you will be Queen of more than just the end of your pen quill."

arn24x.jpg

Jorsalaland under attack

And the Vikings march on the Holy land :D

This is getting good!

:D :D

Ah, good, the Irish are come. Ua Conchobair would be anglicized as O'Connor, for reference.

Yessir - this is one of the O'Connors who were cousins to King Sigurd's first wife, Blamith O'Brien (her aunt Mor maried King Ruaidrí of Connacht). I thought Ua Conchobair would sound more natural than O'Connor, although sometimes I'm using the Anglicized names if the native ones don't flow...

Chapter IV: Deus Vult!

615503.jpg

With Papal blessing Sigurd and his men finally set off for the Holy Land, 12 years after he first left Norway. Sigurd was to provide the Crusader states with immediate relief, with his brothers following in a year's time with more men. His brother-in-law Harald Kesja was left as regent of the Balearics. Valencia and Morvedre were mortgaged to Count Ramon Berenguer III of Barcelona and his wife Douce of Provence in return for gold and levies. The Crusade was preached throughout Italy and in France, with Gillechrist receiving the aid of his grateful new in-law, King Louis VI.

The first crowned heads to visit the Kingdom, Sigurd and his queen Maria were received in great honor. They arrived to find Baldwin II of Jerusalem temporarily freed of external threats - the Fatimids of Egypt and Seljuks of Syria had both fallen back after initial raids. Together the Kings attacked Sidon and Tyre, the two remaining Moslem outposts along the Kingdom's Mediterranean coastline. Baldwin and Sigurd moved by land while the jarl Sæmundsson blockaded by sea: his capture of the greater part of the Fatimid squadron (filled with both men and grain) harbored in Tyre made him notorious. Sigurd received the lordship of Sidon and Baldwin that of Tyre: they shared the loot and guaranteed each other the right to freely pass and commerce in both.

The two Kings then conceived the idea of invading Egypt as Baldwin's namesake predecessor had - this time, they'd avoid the fish and not die of food poisoning before crossing the Nile. They marched on Farama (Pelusium) and laid siege to it. If they expected the place to throw open its gates as it had under Baldwin I, they were sorely disappointed, though the siege was not overlong. They raided their way towards Tamait (Damietta) and entered the place, only to be bought off by the Fatimid Vizier. Prisoners and gold were exchanged, a truce agreed to, and Damietta and Farama abandoned. Baldwin gained Ascalon in exchange, thereby fixing the Fatimid-Jerusalemite border along solid lines for the first time.

The following year Sigurd's brothers arrived with 7,000 Frankish and Provençals aboard Pisan ships. He brought with him French lords including Philip of Mantes (half-brother of King Louis), Count Fulk of Anjou (half-brother of Philip and step-brother of King Louis), Count Henry of Troyes (first husband of Queen Constance), Duke William IX of Aquitaine and William of Ypres.

Numerically and spiritually replenished the Crusaders rushed north to fight off Ilghazi of Aleppo and his father-in-law Toghtekin of Damascus, who were then harrying the regent Roger of Antioch. They arrived too late: Roger moved without them and his army was completely massacred. The Turks took back Azaz, a recent conquest, and sacked Artah, a castle laying a mere 25 miles northeast of Antioch. Queen Constance despaired and attempted to secure an annulment of her marriage to Gillchrist. The drunken stupor of the Emir Ilghazi resulted in the dispersal of his army, thus preserving Antioch and the Queen's marriage.

crusader3g.jpg

King Baldwin and Count Fulk pursued the Turks to the north, while Sigurd and Olaf slipped behind and marched on Damascus itself. Olaf won renown capturing much of Toghtekin's baggage train while Sigurd inflicted heavy losses upon a numerically superior infidel force at the Battle of Daria (Darayya). The Crusaders set down to besiege Damascus, but were weakened by incessant quarreling between their leaders. The half-brothers Fulk and Philip removed themselves and their men to the north, moving on Baalbek, while the rest remained behind. When Damascus finally fell, Sigurd was acknowledged as its new lord: he immediately transferred it to King Baldwin as dowry for his daughter Marisimena, promised in marriage to the King's infant son.

Joining the Counts at Baalbek, the Crusader lords were forcibly reconciled by King Sigurd and the Latin Patriarch. There Sigurd sought to guarantee peace by arranging marriages for King Baldwin's daughters with the chief Crusader lords. The eldest was promised to Bohemond of Antioch, Queen Constance's son and Sigurd's step-nephew. The Crusaders swore to take Aleppo and bestow it upon the princess as her dowry. The Patriarch annulled the marriage of Philip of Mantes back home, allowing him to betroth himself to the second princess and assume rule of Oultrejordain ("Beyond Jordan") as her father's vassal. The third princess went to the young Count Raymond of Tripoli and the youngest was contracted to Elias, son of Count Fulk and intended future ruler of Baalbek. The well-liked William of Ypres gained admittance into the very inner circle by marrying Cecilia of France, the half-sister of Queen Constance and Count Fulk, mother of the young Count Raymond and widow of the esteemed Count Pons who had died in the aftermath of Darayya. By right of his wife he received Rugia and Arzghan, two fortresses guarding the southern passage to Antioch, and the regency to Tripoli. Jarl Sæmundsson disputed the union, claiming a secret betrothal between himself and the lady, but was opposed by all and forced into temporary exile in Cilician Armenia.

Baalbek fell and the Crusaders marched on Aleppo. The emir Ilghazi sought to buy them off but was routed and captured before a truce could be effected. By now the Crusaders were weary, home-sick and eager to go their separate ways. King Baldwin wished to use their men to expand his realm but was reluctant to grant his allies any further fiefs. Reaffirming pledges of friendship and the agreed upon marriage alliances, the Crusaders went their separate ways. The emir and other notables were freed and a truce agreed to. The French lords sailed home; Baldwin made an abortive attempt to take Bosra. Sigurd made his brother Harald Gillechrist nominal regent in Antioch; the frontier and Damascus were entrusted to the newly free Roger of Antioch. Sæmundsson returned from Cilician Armenia, bringing Sigurd the friendship of the princes there, and joined the Kings as they sailed to Cyprus.

byzantine+empress+theodora.jpg

The death of the Byzantine Emperor had left the throne disputed by his indomitable daughter Anna Comnene and her brother John (Ioannes) II. An abortive assassination attempt startled the new Emperor, making him flee the capital and allowing his sister to seize the reins of power. Both siblings sought King Sigurd's aid against the other. The Northmen were initially partial to the claims of John, both as the legitimate male heir and because of Anna's unfortunate alliance with the Venetians - the natural rivals of Genoa and Pisa, Republics considered by Sigurd as core parts of his nascent Empire. John saw in Sigurd and Olaf the chance to reassert his authority not only in Constantinople but in the Mediterranean: he wanted the Kings to accept him as overlord in all of their domains, allowing him access to Sidon and Bari and greater leverage against his neighbors. The infuriated Sigurd then turned to Anna, who was willing to treat with him on more equal terms: driven from the capital, she escaped to Cyprus, bringing with her the bulk of a Varangian Guard eager to serve under a countryman.

By the Treaty of Nicosia (1121) Sigurd and Olaf promised to place Anna Comnene on the Imperial throne as Augusta. In return she would cede to them Cyprus, Rhodes and Crete and residual claims to Italy and Africa. Her daughters were to marry the eldest sons of Sigurd and Olaf. The Venetians were not explicitly mentioned but Sigurd was ensured similar prerogatives for his ships in Byzantine territory and promised to aid the would-be Empress against any repercussions by sea or land.

Rhodes was quickly taken and the Kings landed in Asia Minor at Miletus, where they were met by John's emissaries. Realizing the hopelessness of the lady's cause, Sigurd made terms with her brother. The Emperor agreed to ratify the Treaty of Nicosia if Sigurd would forsake the great lady and become his ally instead. He parted with the islands already in Sigurd's power (Sæmundsson had already sailed on Crete), his own daughters replacing his sister's as the prospective brides of the Norse princes. Anna was given the title 'Eusebestate Augousta' ('Most Pious Empress'), thus fulfilling the terms of the Nicosia treaty, dependent on her recognition of her brother as senior ruler and her nephew as sole heir. She would have but usufruct of the Imperial dignity. Her sons were renamed Bryennios, foregoing the superior Imperial surname they had used thus far, and were to remain in Constantinople as guarantors of her good behaviour.

Cornered, the great lady consented and was brought by the Norse Kings to Constantinople, where she was crowned alongside her nephew. Olaf then sailed off with her to Bari in Apulia. With Olaf's approval, Sigurd was recognized as Basileion Baleareion ('King of the Balearics'), John's equal and counterpart: an honor the Byzantines had hitherto reserved for only the greatest foreign princes (Bulgarian Tsars, German and Persian emperors). The Emperor's daughters Maria and Anna, aged sixteen and eleven respectively, were married simultaneously to the child-princes Manasses and Henricus (sometimes Hemming or Henry), thus subverting Orthodox canonical prohibitions which would have made the unions impossible otherwise. For the same reasons Sigurd's nephew Canute Haraldssen married the seventeen year old Irene Komene Bryennaina on the same day.

Shortly afterwards the Crusaders set sail for home. Sigurd originally intended to stay and join the Emperor in a further crusade against the Sultanate of Rûm. He soon realized that the Emperor wished to use him as a pawn in advancing Byzantine rule in Cilician Armenia and Antioch. Infuriated once more, he set sail with the totality of the Varangian Guard, whose allegiance John had unwillingly relinquished to him. The death of King Baldwin's son in the Holy Land resulted in Sigurd's acquisition of Tyre, offered him in exchange for Damascus, his daughter's would-be dowry: guardianship of the girl Marisimena also reverted to her father.