The fourth and last of the Rashidun caliphs, Ali's reign was engulfed by a civil war, the First Fitna, between him and the supporters of Mu'awiya, governor of Syria and a member of the Banu Umayya clan. The biggest battle of the war, fought at Siffin, ended in a stalemate thanks to a call for religious arbitration, robbing Ali of what could've been a decisive victory for his cause.

The next few years were marked dissensions within the Alid camp, with the rise of the Kharijites, and enemy raids that went deep into Iraq and Yemen. Ali was in the midst of preparing a new campaign against Syria when he was murdered by a Kharijite in January 661 AD, and Mu'awiya became the new caliph in the following months, establishing the Umayyad Caliphate.

Assuming Ali avoids his untimely death, could he defeat Mu'awiya for good, or was the window of opportunity for him to do so closed by then? If he wins, what would this Alid Caliphate look like? My first guess is that its capital would be located somewhere in Iraq (perhaps Kufa, which would take Baghdad's place as the center of the Islamic world ITTL?), since Syria was an Umayyad stronghold. Would Muslim doctrine and philosophy be affected by this, and could the Alids eventually embark on the discriminatory policies the Umayyads enacted during their rule?

ahmedali

Banned
If Ali averts his death, something is certain to happen

There will be no such thing as the Shiite sect

(The same ones who killed him were the ones who wept over him and eventually established the Shiite sect)

I think he will return to Mecca as his predecessors did (and God knows best)

His succession to Ali, may God be pleased with him, will be very similar to the succession of Omar and Othman, may God be pleased with them, and he will not turn into an Arab nationalist, as the Umayyads did.

So adherence to the Prophet Muhammad's saying that everyone is equal regardless of race will occur

This means that there are no atrocities towards the Persians, which were carried out by the Umayyads, and this means a faster conversion of them to Islam

Being military would mean expansion would still happen, but it might take on greater horizons

If Ali averts his death, something is certain to happen

There will be no such thing as the Shiite sect

(The same ones who killed him were the ones who wept over him and eventually established the Shiite sect)

I think he will return to Mecca as his predecessors did (and God knows best)

His succession to Ali, may God be pleased with him, will be very similar to the succession of Omar and Othman, may God be pleased with them, and he will not turn into an Arab nationalist, as the Umayyads did.

So adherence to the Prophet Muhammad's saying that everyone is equal regardless of race will occur

This means that there are no atrocities towards the Persians, which were carried out by the Umayyads, and this means a faster conversion of them to Islam

Being military would mean expansion would still happen, but it might take on greater horizons
Do you think Ali could muster an army capable of facing Mu'awiya's forces?

Also, assuming Iraq becomes the Caliphate's center of power instead of Syria, could this translate into fewer attacks on the Byzantines (limited to large raids instead of trying to take Constantinople) and the Berber kingdoms of North Africa, and further expansion into India and Central Asia?

If Ali wants to survive , we need to butterfly away Umar assassination,his assassination triggered the free game all caliphs could get killed
I mean, he was charismatic, so he could muster an army

My English is not the first