If Ferdinand of Habsburg doesn't marry Anne of Bohemia ITTL, I think that one of the most plausible options for marrying her would be John Frederick I of Saxony.

If Ferdinand of Habsburg doesn't marry Anne of Bohemia ITTL, I think that one of the most plausible options for marrying her would be John Frederick I of Saxony.
Imagine a Protestant Kingdom with two electoral votes. Talk about a Haps screw

Good chapter as always, the dialogue between characters felt nice to read. Hoping Claude can catch a break and just be left in peace for a while
Hopefully it is something other than the peace of the grave. We can dream.

Damn, poor Claude. Great chapter though! :) Remember to threadmark it
Thanks, King of Danes! Everything should be threadmarked up to the most current now. This is why I shouldn't post my chapters after a glass of wine...
That is an amazing idea actually. Aside from toying the idea of her becoming a nun, I also considered perhaps a Bavarian match. I've not yet pondered it further, but Anne and Mary of Austria were educated jointly together until ~1521. With Mary and Louis returning to Hungary, and then Bohemia, it's likely that Anne will go with them. Maximilian is dead, and there's no guardian in Austria to watch over her.

She's still engaged to Ferdinand, at least formally. I suppose they could still marry, but with his position tending towards Spain, and with no vested position in the Austrian dominions... well, Louis may tire of waiting on the Habsburgs and decide on another match.

As for Austria and it's governance, that will be interesting too, if Ferdinand does remain in Spain.
Good chapter as always, the dialogue between characters felt nice to read. Hoping Claude can catch a break and just be left in peace for a while
Thanks Kurd! Claude definitely isn't in good shape right now... but she's trying.

Imagine a Protestant Kingdom with two electoral votes. Talk about a Haps screw
To be fair, that would still require her brother to go and get himself killed somehow. And Louis and Mary to have no children. ;)

How are the Colonial Empires doing so far? any noticeable changes to what they colonize?

Also, Im kind of intrested in North Africa, will Saadians or Wattasids still rise to power? and if so, how will this impact the Ottomans, Portuguese, English? and what about the Mamluks.

How are the Colonial Empires doing so far? any noticeable changes to what they colonize?

Also, Im kind of intrested in North Africa, will Saadians or Wattasids still rise to power? and if so, how will this impact the Ottomans, Portuguese, English? and what about the Mamluks.
No noticeable changes. To be fair, there's not much been much to alter what has happened thus far: Spain in the West Indies, and Cortes has conquered the Aztecs. Magellan will soon complete his circumnavigation in 1522. It's likely they will topple the Incans too, as diseases continue to spread and decimate the native populations as OTL. The economy of the Spanish colonies remains rooted in the Encomienda system, where Spanish colonists were essentially give grants of natives by the crown to use as slaves for the labor force. There were protests of this system as early as 1501, so it's likely we'll see some form of New Laws at some point to regulate native labor. Portugal's colonial and trade empire continues apace, in it's golden era as they reach China, and in a few decades, Japan.

England has sent no one abroad since John Cabot in Henry VII's, while France will surely patronize de Verrazano and Jacques Cartier, the crown remains focused on it's ambitions on Italy. There is some interest in Brazil, primarily for the reasons of trade and Brazilwood, but at this point any sort of concrete colonization (as in, sending settlers and plucking them down) is unlikely; plus Portugal has a vested interest in the area, and will likely maintain it. The even smaller powers have no interest at this point. It's very unlikely to see any other powers outside of Spain and Portugal get involved in formal colonization efforts until later on (30-40 years at the earliest... if not longer).

I don't know enough about North Africa to make an educated answer. It's sort of on the periphery of this TL. But given the Saadi's rise began ~1510, I'd say they are still active and giving the Portuguese grief around Agadir and Fez, and they will likely deal with the Wattasids, too. Spain will likely still have an OTL interest in dealing with North Africa, as those ports are hotbeds of the Barbary pirates, who were a plague to Mediterranean shipping. It's likely the Ottomans will take an interest in North Africa as IOTL... while the Portuguese are likely to deal with the Ottomans in the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea.

The Mameluk Sultanate has fallen to the Ottomans. The Ottoman's continued growth was part of both French and Spanish arguments re: the imperial election.

No noticeable changes. To be fair, there's not much been much to alter what has happened thus far: Spain in the West Indies, and Cortes has conquered the Aztecs. Magellan will soon complete his circumnavigation in 1522. It's likely they will topple the Incans too, as diseases continue to spread and decimate the native populations as OTL. The economy of the Spanish colonies remains rooted in the Encomienda system, where Spanish colonists were essentially give grants of natives by the crown to use as slaves for the labor force. There were protests of this system as early as 1501, so it's likely we'll see some form of New Laws at some point to regulate native labor. Portugal's colonial and trade empire continues apace, in it's golden era as they reach China, and in a few decades, Japan.

England has sent no one abroad since John Cabot in Henry VII's, while France will surely patronize de Verrazano and Jacques Cartier, the crown remains focused on it's ambitions on Italy. There is some interest in Brazil, primarily for the reasons of trade and Brazilwood, but at this point any sort of concrete colonization (as in, sending settlers and plucking them down) is unlikely; plus Portugal has a vested interest in the area, and will likely maintain it. The even smaller powers have no interest at this point. It's very unlikely to see any other powers outside of Spain and Portugal get involved in formal colonization efforts until later on (30-40 years at the earliest... if not longer).

I don't know enough about North Africa to make an educated answer. It's sort of on the periphery of this TL. But given the Saadi's rise began ~1510, I'd say they are still active and giving the Portuguese grief around Agadir and Fez, and they will likely deal with the Wattasids, too. Spain will likely still have an OTL interest in dealing with North Africa, as those ports are hotbeds of the Barbary pirates, who were a plague to Mediterranean shipping. It's likely the Ottomans will take an interest in North Africa as IOTL... while the Portuguese are likely to deal with the Ottomans in the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea.

The Mameluk Sultanate has fallen to the Ottomans. The Ottoman's continued growth was part of both French and Spanish arguments re: the imperial election.
Honestly if Charles does still have his huge empire is unlikely that the encomieda system changes too much from OTL given that while he was against how the indians were treated he still needed the easy gold and silver from the Americas to finance his empire, thus leaving the natives subject to brutal working conditions.

Also Brazil while somewhat invested in by Portugal was very badly defended and understaffed given Portugal only really cared about India and the spice islands so the American possessions were left to languish, hell even prior to something like the Dutch invasion the viceroy had long complained that the capital of the colony was "a exposed treasure guarded by ill equiped and payed soldiers". So Portugal losing Brazil to the French isn't too unlikely.

Also Brazil while somewhat invested in by Portugal was very badly defended and understaffed given Portugal only really cared about India and the spice islands so the American possessions were left to languish, hell even prior to something like the Dutch invasion the viceroy had long complained that the capital of the colony was "a exposed treasure guarded by ill equiped and payed soldiers". So Portugal losing Brazil to the French isn't too unlikely
Well but we've seen how that goes right?
*Stares at signature TL*
I've seen a English Brazil being done a while back as well, so I really like the idea of Portugal losing Brazil to somebody else
I mean come on we cant be lusophone green bloob in every timeline!

Honestly if Charles does still have his huge empire is unlikely that the encomieda system changes too much from OTL given that while he was against how the indians were treated he still needed the easy gold and silver from the Americas to finance his empire, thus leaving the natives subject to brutal working conditions.

Also Brazil while somewhat invested in by Portugal was very badly defended and understaffed given Portugal only really cared about India and the spice islands so the American possessions were left to languish, hell even prior to something like the Dutch invasion the viceroy had long complained that the capital of the colony was "a exposed treasure guarded by ill equiped and payed soldiers". So Portugal losing Brazil to the French isn't too unlikely.
Well, any reforms are likely to be a few decades down the line. The New Laws occurred in 1542. But right now, all is peachy (except perhaps for the natives), though there is always the matter of certain segments of the Spanish church being against the harsh treatment of the natives. Their involvement IOTL led to such reforms.

Oh yes. I agree that the Portuguese presence, especially right now, c. ~1520 is very minimal. Brazil is nothing compared to the wealth of the East Indies. But it's also territory given to them through the Treaty of Torsedillas, so they might object to France trying to sneak in there. France could certainly gain a foothold; I had them do so in one of my first ever timelines, Prince of Peace, which involved Miguel da Paz surviving. There, the French got involved mainly because of benign neglect; the Avis-Trastamaras had the Spanish Empire in the West and the Portuguese Empire in the east, so interest in Brazil was minimal. Here, Portugal likely maintains that interest.

The biggest issue with France moving in is France actually having the interest in doing so. I'm doubtful of them having such an interest during the reign of Francis, simply because his interests lie primarily in Italy: so resources, manpower, finances that could be expended towards Brazil are likely to be put towards Italy instead.

However, if Francis avoids the mess of Pavia... but there's still the fact that Spain + France would have to come to some agreement in Italy, because the whole "I keep Milan, you keep Naples" thing has been tried about three or four times now, and it hasn't worked out yet. Someone is going to have to come out on top.

Well but we've seen how that goes right?
*Stares at signature TL*
I've seen a English Brazil being done a while back as well, so I really like the idea of Portugal losing Brazil to somebody else
I mean come on we cant be lusophone green bloob in every timeline!
I most certainly agree! And I do have to say I'm fond of the idea of a French Brazil! It would just need a different name; France Antarctique or France Équinoxiale just aren't the same. ;) I think I had the French call it Meridionale in my old timeline.

Well, any reforms are likely to be a few decades down the line. The New Laws occurred in 1542. But right now, all is peachy (except perhaps for the natives), though there is always the matter of certain segments of the Spanish church being against the harsh treatment of the natives. Their involvement IOTL led to such reforms.

Oh yes. I agree that the Portuguese presence, especially right now, c. ~1520 is very minimal. Brazil is nothing compared to the wealth of the East Indies. But it's also territory given to them through the Treaty of Torsedillas, so they might object to France trying to sneak in there. France could certainly gain a foothold; I had them do so in one of my first ever timelines, Prince of Peace, which involved Miguel da Paz surviving. There, the French got involved mainly because of benign neglect; the Avis-Trastamaras had the Spanish Empire in the West and the Portuguese Empire in the east, so interest in Brazil was minimal. Here, Portugal likely maintains that interest.

The biggest issue with France moving in is France actually having the interest in doing so. I'm doubtful of them having such an interest during the reign of Francis, simply because his interests lie primarily in Italy: so resources, manpower, finances that could be expended towards Brazil are likely to be put towards Italy instead.

However, if Francis avoids the mess of Pavia... but there's still the fact that Spain + France would have to come to some agreement in Italy, because the whole "I keep Milan, you keep Naples" thing has been tried about three or four times now, and it hasn't worked out yet. Someone is going to have to come out on top.

I most certainly agree! And I do have to say I'm fond of the idea of a French Brazil! It would just need a different name; France Antarctique or France Équinoxiale just aren't the same. ;) I think I had the French call it Meridionale in my old timeline.
Oh I agree, not trying to tell you how to do your TL or anything! Especially about the part of France simply doesn't have interest in expanding into the colonial game and at best I'd see them wanting trading rights.

Also yeah, France and Spain might definitely come to blows sooner than later, even if not about Italy, France had a vested interest in conquering the Netherlands as well as maintaining their influence in Italy, the former will definitely spark something and right on when Charles would've have to deal with Luther and the Ottomans as well...

Honestly I haven't fully come up with a name for my French Brazil colony because I really like Antarctique as a name and I haven't thought of anything better yet.