That would have been cool to see him becoming some sort of financial advisor to Mary/John. But on the other side, we did get Thomas More as a trusted advisor!
As a partisan of Cromwell I find it hard to celebrate More being in goverment, even if do love his writings. He was certainly the towering literary figure of Henry VIII's reign.

Whilst obscure in historical terms Cromwell likely left a legacy for his family that any other burgher of London would be proud of, as going from the son of a publican to one of the wealthiest commoners in England is no small achievement. It's only compared to his OTL rise that he would look back on his life and feel disappointed. Though dying of old age in his own home is certainly preferable to being executed by an ungrateful and capricious monarch.

I will amuse myself with the thought that More almost certainly tried and failed to have Cromwell prosecuted as a heretic at some point, only to be thoroughly out-lawyered by a man he considered his inferior. And then had to spend many an evening being reminded of that fact whenever they end up at the same dinner table in London.

Beatriz and Anne's beef is eternal… I’m always glad to see more updates on them, and you know how ecstatic I am that Beatriz will live a happier life now! Glad that she was able to find love, and that things are looking up for her—even if French-dominated Italy is about to start looking rough as a result. François shouldn’t have fucked around on her so much!! And I love the match that Ottavio makes. Monaco gets overlooked so much, so I think that it’s a really unique choice!

And I’m so interested in Reginald Pole/Adrian VI’s papacy.. The stuff about it in this chapter is so good! Definitely my favorite part along with the updates on Angevin Naples. I love how in-depth you went into addressing it, from the financial issues to the ongoing religious issues, to the developing intrigues. Carafa… that man was LIVING AND BREATHING being a hater. Like, stop being such a sore loser and chill out. Calling the actual pope a Lutheran is nuts. 😂 The legate picks for the council were so interesting, though! And I love that they’re all reform-minded, like Reginald was. I’m excited to see whatever’s coming up next for Italy–the council, the inevitable next war… All of it is looking to be really good. Can’t wait for the next chapter!

As a partisan of Cromwell I find it hard to celebrate More being in goverment, even if do love his writings. He was certainly the towering literary figure of Henry VIII's reign.

Whilst obscure in historical terms Cromwell likely left a legacy for his family that any other burgher of London would be proud of, as going from the son of a publican to one of the wealthiest commoners in England is no small achievement. It's only compared to his OTL rise that he would look back on his life and feel disappointed. Though dying of old age in his own home is certainly preferable to being executed by an ungrateful and capricious monarch.

I will amuse myself with the thought that More almost certainly tried and failed to have Cromwell prosecuted as a heretic at some point, only to be thoroughly out-lawyered by a man he considered his inferior. And then had to spend many an evening being reminded of that fact whenever they end up at the same dinner table in London.
Indeed, I can say very confidently that Cromwell left a very tidy fortune for his family. He had a very good life in Anno—just not one of political prominence like in ATL. Aside from being MP, it's likely he played some role in London's local government as well, though he never attained the office of Lord Mayor. He perhaps played some role in the City of London Corporation and perhaps sat on the Court of Husting or Court of Aldermen.

As for Cromwell's run-ins... the Heresy Laws were first strengthened in 1527 and allowed for sentences to be passed against Protestants. The Heresy Act of 1527 also established a Central Heresy Court in London which became responsible for all heresy cases within England and Wales, headed by a tribunal of bishops. For the fight against heresy, I was very influenced by the Marian Restoration of OTL and how it's attempts to deal with such issues represented a mix of secular as well as ecclesiastical power. Secular officials play an important role in the Central Heresy Court. I could see Cromwell developing a reputation as a lawyer who was willing to take up cases defending people before said court.

Given he dies without any issue, I'd say he escaped the overnight of the court commissioners who are the ones tasked with combing through English parishes looking for reformers and heretics. They aren't necessarily the most 😉 At any rate, perhaps his son (or one of them) or grandson are people we ought to peek in and look at when I do another Vignette de l'Obscurité!

Beatriz and Anne's beef is eternal… I’m always glad to see more updates on them, and you know how ecstatic I am that Beatriz will live a happier life now! Glad that she was able to find love, and that things are looking up for her—even if French-dominated Italy is about to start looking rough as a result. François shouldn’t have fucked around on her so much!! And I love the match that Ottavio makes. Monaco gets overlooked so much, so I think that it’s a really unique choice!

And I’m so interested in Reginald Pole/Adrian VI’s papacy.. The stuff about it in this chapter is so good! Definitely my favorite part along with the updates on Angevin Naples. I love how in-depth you went into addressing it, from the financial issues to the ongoing religious issues, to the developing intrigues. Carafa… that man was LIVING AND BREATHING being a hater. Like, stop being such a sore loser and chill out. Calling the actual pope a Lutheran is nuts. 😂 The legate picks for the council were so interesting, though! And I love that they’re all reform-minded, like Reginald was. I’m excited to see whatever’s coming up next for Italy–the council, the inevitable next war… All of it is looking to be really good. Can’t wait for the next chapter!
Thank you so much Mickey!

Yes, Anne and Beatriz never stop... though certainly it's a much different set of circumstances now that they are in Italy! For the first time, the roles have been reversed. Beatriz is the golden child lapping up popularity in a wealthy and cosmopolitan dominion, while Anne is reduced to supporting her son in Parma... nothing more than a backwater city compared to the glories of Paris and London. Anne's social whirl has been reduced to her small circle of associates (including her sister Marie) and the tedious gentry and nobility of Parma. She long desired for her son to be a sovereign prince in his own right, but she, ah... perhaps didn't consider the implications of what that truly meant. After all, Parma is pretty small (though not the smallest Italian state) and it's revenues are even smaller. Anne has been forced to dig into the treasure chest she's built up over the years of being François I's maîtresse-en-titre and she's learned quite quickly that her son will probably be forced to do the same. Luckily she has her lands and estates in France, which Ottavio will be able to inherit (hopefully).... Anne does perhaps have second thoughts, and wonders if it might not have been best for Ottavio to merely remain Octave and succeed her as Duke of Plaisance in France. She despises Parma, despises the pervasion of the Catholic faith, and despises that she must raise and meld her son into an Italian (and Catholic!) prince if he is going to succeed.

Reginald / Adrian VI is going to be beyond interesting! In all honesty I have to give my thanks to @Nuraghe. I had been pondering the idea, but Nuraghe helped me finalize it and provided me with some really insightful information re: the late Renaissance Papacy in the mid-to-late 16th century! I'm just hoping I was able to do it justice! Pole was certainly an apt politician, and if there was a foreign cardinal well placed to have a successful papacy in this period, Pole was the one. Handling the political / financial affairs was one of my favorite parts to do! I definitely enjoy digging into the nitty gritty details, especially when discussing how a Renaissance prince might be able to bring in more resources. This was an issue for all sovereigns, from the Pope to the Kings of France, England, and Spain in the 16th century: they had increasing administrative costs, increasing military costs, yet the financial systems remained moribund and trapped in medieval times, which made them insufficient for raising the necessary revenue. There's a huge reason why Henry VIII, François I, and even Charles V had financial issues, and certainly so did the popes of this period. The Papacy in Anno has been especially financially fraught, so I loved the idea of Pole attempting to reign in some of the troubles of his predecessors, and try to put papal finances on more stable footing.

As for Carafa... he's definitely a hater and he's definitely going to be trouble. I have some ideas already. 😉 This was the man that became Pope Paul IV IOTL, if that tells you anything! 😂 Aside from his rivalry with Pole, he was an avowed enemy of the Colonna family and was pretty well known as an Italian patriot. Though many Italian patriots IATL are leaning away from France given their lengthy occupation, it's likely Carafa will still seek to embrace France as he did IOTL. Considering Imperial / Habsburg support played a vital role in getting Reginald over the finish line in 1549 here, it's likely Carafa has taken a dislike to the Habsburgs—both in Spain and the Low Countries. He's going to be at the center of a conspiracy against Pole / Adrian VI, that's for sure... and who knows what sort of Pandora's Box he may open when France once more makes war against the Habsburgs. 😮

Yes, Anne and Beatriz never stop... though certainly it's a much different set of circumstances now that they are in Italy! For the first time, the roles have been reversed. Beatriz is the golden child lapping up popularity in a wealthy and cosmopolitan dominion, while Anne is reduced to supporting her son in Parma... nothing more than a backwater city compared to the glories of Paris and London. Anne's social whirl has been reduced to her small circle of associates (including her sister Marie) and the tedious gentry and nobility of Parma. She long desired for her son to be a sovereign prince in his own right, but she, ah... perhaps didn't consider the implications of what that truly meant. After all, Parma is pretty small (though not the smallest Italian state) and it's revenues are even smaller. Anne has been forced to dig into the treasure chest she's built up over the years of being François I's maîtresse-en-titre and she's learned quite quickly that her son will probably be forced to do the same. Luckily she has her lands and estates in France, which Ottavio will be able to inherit (hopefully).... Anne does perhaps have second thoughts, and wonders if it might not have been best for Ottavio to merely remain Octave and succeed her as Duke of Plaisance in France. She despises Parma, despises the pervasion of the Catholic faith, and despises that she must raise and meld her son into an Italian (and Catholic!) prince if he is going to succeed.
I hope Francis II keeps the estates for himself once Anne passes. It'll be the wiser choice for France's finances, and technically one could argue that Octave has no claim to them due to his bastardry

Indeed, I can say very confidently that Cromwell left a very tidy fortune for his family. He had a very good life in Anno—just not one of political prominence like in ATL. Aside from being MP, it's likely he played some role in London's local government as well, though he never attained the office of Lord Mayor. He perhaps played some role in the City of London Corporation and perhaps sat on the Court of Husting or Court of Aldermen.

As for Cromwell's run-ins... the Heresy Laws were first strengthened in 1527 and allowed for sentences to be passed against Protestants. The Heresy Act of 1527 also established a Central Heresy Court in London which became responsible for all heresy cases within England and Wales, headed by a tribunal of bishops. For the fight against heresy, I was very influenced by the Marian Restoration of OTL and how it's attempts to deal with such issues represented a mix of secular as well as ecclesiastical power. Secular officials play an important role in the Central Heresy Court. I could see Cromwell developing a reputation as a lawyer who was willing to take up cases defending people before said court.

Given he dies without any issue, I'd say he escaped the overnight of the court commissioners who are the ones tasked with combing through English parishes looking for reformers and heretics. They aren't necessarily the most 😉 At any rate, perhaps his son (or one of them) or grandson are people we ought to peek in and look at when I do another Vignette de l'Obscurité!
I think that would be an excellent choice for a Vignette de l'Obscurité - not only would it show what one of OTL's most prominent Tudor courtiers got up to, but it would also give you a way to show what is going on in English & Burgundian city politics and commercial circles. Let me know if you want any assistance in drawing up an ATL biography for Cromwell, his family and associates - I have a few ideas that could be interesting without detracting from the main storyline.

Last edited:
I hope Francis II keeps the estates for himself once Anne passes. It'll be the wiser choice for France's finances, and technically one could argue that Octave has no claim to them due to his bastardry
IIRC , Anne's patent for the Duchy of Plaisance was worded in such a way that would to allow for any male issue to succeed her . Plus, François legitimized his children with Anne in 1540. Unsure of the exact status of the Légitimé / Légitimées of France in the 16th century, but I would presume they would be able to inherit from their mother; they just have no royal status, aren't princes or princesses, and as such have no succession rights to the crown of France / aren't counted in it's succession.

François II was fairly fond of Anne, since she served as a surrogate mother of sorts... but at the same time, I feel like he probably has no true relationship with Octave / Ottavio given their large age difference. By time Octave was born, François was finishing up his education and was shortly to be married to Isabelle d'Autriche.

But, on that same turn of coin, François II is pretty devout / religious compared to his libertine father. Even if he's fond of Anne, it's possible that François may wish to wash away any last traces of his father's debauched court. Just as the Duke of Valentinois has found himself persona non grata, there's no doubt that the Duchess of Plaisance would fall into the same position. It's just a sordid reminder of all that happened when François is trying to get away from his father's oral turpitude. It would not at all be out of character for François II to welcome Anne back to court before saying: "Times have changed, madame. Though I welcome you home and shall love you always as my late father instructed, I must ask that you retire away from Paris and away from court. Retire to your states, cause no trouble, and you shall always have my affection."

In a situation such as that, I could definitely see François leaning up Parlement to annul Anne's will when she dies. Octave will likely still get the Duchy of Plaisance and the Château de la Jatte and a nice sum, but François will probably demand that the remainder be returned to the crown in exchange for recognizing his inheritance. For Octave, better to inherit even a portion than nothing at all. I'm sure similar reductions might be carried out when the Duke of Valentinois croaks, too...

I think that would be an excellent choice for a Vignette de l'Obscurité - not only would it show what one of OTL's most prominent Tudor courtiers got up to, but it would also give you a way to what is going on in English & Burgundian city politics and commercial circles. Let me know if you want any assistance in drawing up an ATL biography for Cromwell, his family and associates - I have a few ideas that could be interesting without detracting from the main storyline.
If you have any ideas, I am more than welcome to hear them. Feel free to send them my way—I love getting contributions from readers! 😄

That all makes sense, though is a bit of a shame - both from my perspective as a fan of Cromwell and from England's perspective, as with all those debts John has built up they really could have used someone with his financial skills.
If it it makes you feel better, I have Plans™ for Cromwell in Titulus. He hasn't made an appearance so far, but he will do!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's way too optimistic to assume the Italians won't fight back. France still has troops in Italy, albeit in reduced circumstances, and many in Italy have tired of the French bootheel. There's no doubt that there will be a second front. France's influence is already starting to diminish as well: their only allies are Naples (who they helped install upon the throne) and Parma (a tiny duchy). They may perhaps be able to seek Venice's assistance. Milan will no doubt seek to profit from any trouble against French, as Beatriz will urge her son to align with his Habsburg relatives, from which he might be well rewarded. France's financial situation also does not bode well: any sort of protracted conflict will only add further financial stress (though I should add that imperial finances are in bad shape too). For the first time in this TL, the French are not in a good position. Don't expect them to make any sweeping gains in this next conflict.
Oh I do agree, I just think that if France can at least keep some allies in the region and contain the fighting to northern Italy, they can at least use Savoy as a chokepoint and hold the line. Negotiations will be harsh but giving up on influence on Italy outside of Naples and control over Savoy and Genoa will be beneficial in the long run.

Entertaining to see how IOTL the interaction of two important women led to the peaceful conclusion of one Italian War (the Treaty of Cambrai), whereas ITTL the interaction of two important women will lead to another one revving up

I love the pics of the Hospitaller Palaces on Corfu! Look great, though I would almost classify them as Neoclassical than Renaissance, not that I know much in the way of architectural trends.

I wonder at the bit about the Jesuit Plantations using forced labor, seeing as the Pope and the Church was pretty against Christians as slaves, though maybe you meant like serfs, which still seems backwards for the Jesuits, the same order that made the Guarani plantations centers of native (christianized and europeanized) culture so much that the local colonist bigwigs hated them and sought their removal. Now that i have thought of it, it would be very cool if the Jesuits did something similar in Ireland, and these plantations backfired against the English, with the Jesuits setting up Gaelic presses and turning the Plantations into centers of Gaelic resistance.

I do think that the Knights would probably run their lands similar to the Venetian colonies in the Aegean, very harshly, though again there is room to doubt that they would treat fellow catholics quite so badly as the Venetians treated heretics/schismatics etc.

I do like the look at Ireland and I think it is very interesting and definitely what to come back and see how it and its islamic mormons are doing. It was a great update and I very much enjoyed it, though, poor Mary, I know that feeling too.
Iirc the Church actually owned a lot of slavs in Argentina, as unproductive lands were left to them and they decided not to use hired labor. https://www.museohistorico.unc.edu.ar/enslaved-africans-in-the-jesuit-block/

I’m veryyyy excited for the council of lucerne to really get going- Switzerland especially is an interesting choice considering that even though lucerne is still Catholic, a bunch of Swiss cantons are Protestant, and they’re about to be swamped with representatives of all the great Catholic powers, and probably also the military escorts that come along with them as they cross Protestant territory.

Let the spirituali drive on the Catholic enlightenment avant la lettre!

Quickly checking as I’m not sure whether it was confirmed- Lorenzo Di Medici ittl as otl was Duke of Urbino for a bit, but did he lose urbino as otl or do the Medici continue to hold that duchy as papal vassals?

Also just went back and read the imperial italienzug chapter where empress Renee prophesied that no Frenchwoman could ever be happy in Italy- the Duchess of Plaisance would probably echo the statement.

Oh I do agree, I just think that if France can at least keep some allies in the region and contain the fighting to northern Italy, they can at least use Savoy as a chokepoint and hold the line. Negotiations will be harsh but giving up on influence on Italy outside of Naples and control over Savoy and Genoa will be beneficial in the long run.
Indeed, at the very least they can still count on the Neapolitans, though their worth will depend on if Spain participates or sits out. Parma isn't much, but it's still something, and all together some 14,000 troops as part of the Armée d'Italie are still in Italy (11,000 in Lombardy, 3000 in Parma). And they've got a few smaller allies such as Saluzzo and perhaps Montferrat (now held IATL by Teodoro III Paleologo, son of Boniface IV and thus a cousin to the French royal family through his grandmother, Anne d'Alençon). Savoy is in a unique position given it's pro-Imperial stance—Carlo III of Savoy would probably prefer to sit out given he's just regained his dominions, but if his successor is younger, more robust, and perhaps more warlike, they may see this as their opportunity to expand Savoy's dominions. If Savoy stays out, all the better; and France may be able to count on their traditional allies in Italy as well, the Venetians. Freedom from the Italian yoke is tempting, but not if it is replaced with the imperial one.

Entertaining to see how IOTL the interaction of two important women led to the peaceful conclusion of one Italian War (the Treaty of Cambrai), whereas ITTL the interaction of two important women will lead to another one revving up
We did have a similar conclusion IATL, as well! Empress Mary and Louise of Savoy played a big role in securing the Treaty of Longwy following the War of the League of Valenciennes... Empress Mary's last hurrah, it became known as the Paix des Madames, though it did not outlive either woman: Mary died shortly after the signing, iirc, and Louise died shortly thereafter. Beatriz and Anne definitely play a role in heating up the next conflict, though I wouldn't lay the blame completely at their doorstep!

Iirc the Church actually owned a lot of slavs in Argentina, as unproductive lands were left to them and they decided not to use hired labor. https://www.museohistorico.unc.edu.ar/enslaved-africans-in-the-jesuit-block/
Yup. IIRC, the Jesuits even had plantations and owned slaves within what is now the United States. In 1838 they sold 272 slaves worth $115,000 to two Louisianan planters. But to be fair, I think that the Jesuits of the 18th-19th centuries had strayed somewhat from the founders of the order. Certainly the Jesuit founders and many earlier Jesuits had more nuanced views: Ignatius of Loyola saw slavery as a means of protecting and serving poor, while Francis Xavier opposed it. Some saw slavery as a chance of having a captive audience for evangelization, and certainly even the earlier Jesuits were involved in the Portuguese slave trade that enslaved East Africans.

Go Beatriz! I've now decided to root for Isabella d'Este.
Poor Beatriz went through the ringer in this TL. I never intended for her to get such a harsh portrayal... but as it played out, it made her eventual ending all the more sweeter. I knew that she'd end up in Milan with her son, and I decided that her happiness should also include a new child and daughter—though she has a daughter named Marie from François, I wanted her to have another child in a more loving environment. I'm excited to see how Isabella d'Este thrives as she gets older!

I’m veryyyy excited for the council of lucerne to really get going- Switzerland especially is an interesting choice considering that even though lucerne is still Catholic, a bunch of Swiss cantons are Protestant, and they’re about to be swamped with representatives of all the great Catholic powers, and probably also the military escorts that come along with them as they cross Protestant territory.

Let the spirituali drive on the Catholic enlightenment avant la lettre!

Quickly checking as I’m not sure whether it was confirmed- Lorenzo Di Medici ittl as otl was Duke of Urbino for a bit, but did he lose urbino as otl or do the Medici continue to hold that duchy as papal vassals?
I was pretty torn over possible locations. I did quite like the idea of Konstanz and even Besançon, but I had no doubt that François II would have an intense reaction to such an idea, just as Charles V did regarding the idea of Arles and Avignon. We'd tried a council dominated by France which failed, the German national synod did not accomplish much either.

I really wanted to get it out of Italy, too. This only really left Switzerland as a possible avenue. I would've loved the idea of a second council in Basel or even Zürich, but the spread of Protestantism limited my ideas to what was Switzerland's Catholic core. Still, I thought Lucerne was a good compromise, with a central space within the middle of the Confederacy. You are correct though in that Protestantism is pretty wide spread: as you can see here, Lucerne and a few other cantons are essentially the Catholic "center" surrounded by Protestant cantons (though the Three Leagues seem to have a degree of religious plurality). It will definitely be interesting, as the Catholics pour in, but Protestants do too... I can only imagine the reaction of the Protestant cantons, most especially Geneva. Jean Calvin will certainly have a heyday as well, and I'm sure he can pump out some pretty interesting treatises if he decides to attend. It will certainly be a lively city during this time!

We are looking at a situation where the Spirituali will continue to flourish! Carafa can continue to sulk—it is his Zelanti who must be dealt with, those who wish to close their eyes and pretend that nothing has changed and that nothing needs to change. They are the pox upon the church! Assuming Adrian VI can reign as pontiff for a decent period of time, he'll be in a good position to stack the curia and College of Cardinals with those who believe in the same cause he does. I haven't decided the length of his pontificate just yet, but he will live beyond his OTL death date in 1558. I want him to be able to make a mark and be able to keep the Spirituali movement going into the 1560s and 1570s.

Urbino: Lorenzo was still Duke of Urbino for a time. He married Madeleine de la Tour d'Auvergne as in OTL: but instead of a daughter, Madeleine gave birth to a son, who was named Lorenzo. Both parents perished shortly after his birth as IOTL, and Lorenzo was recognized as Duke of Urbino much as Catherine de Medici was, with the Papacy using it as an excuse to annex the duchy. Florence would retain the Fortress of San Leo.

Following Leo X's death however, young Lorenzo was deprived of the duchy and Urbino was restored in full to the della Rovere family in the person of Francesco Maria. It is now likely held by one of his sons, but not sure with. He had a lot of kids post-POD, and I haven't really worked on any family trees yet for the smaller Italian principalities. Mainly the larger ones (Ferrara, Mantua, Florence, Savoy, ect.) Lorenzo, son of the Duke of Urbino and Madeleine was eventually made Duke of Florence, and now reigns in Florence as Lorenzo III. I would presume the young duke likely gave up his claims to Urbino in the negotiations surrounding the Treaty of Longwy in 1529 that established the Duchy of Florence, since that represented the height of French influence in Italy and also lead to a French garrison being installed in Florence.

Hello, I've been thoroughly enjoying your thread and find the character of Louise of France, Queen of Naples, particularly intriguing. Given that she is no longer with us, I was wondering if you could share a historical portrait or depiction of her? This would greatly help in visualizing her character. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Indeed, at the very least they can still count on the Neapolitans, though their worth will depend on if Spain participates or sits out. Parma isn't much, but it's still something, and all together some 14,000 troops as part of the Armée d'Italie are still in Italy (11,000 in Lombardy, 3000 in Parma). And they've got a few smaller allies such as Saluzzo and perhaps Montferrat (now held IATL by Teodoro III Paleologo, son of Boniface IV and thus a cousin to the French royal family through his grandmother, Anne d'Alençon). Savoy is in a unique position given it's pro-Imperial stance—Carlo III of Savoy would probably prefer to sit out given he's just regained his dominions, but if his successor is younger, more robust, and perhaps more warlike, they may see this as their opportunity to expand Savoy's dominions. If Savoy stays out, all the better; and France may be able to count on their traditional allies in Italy as well, the Venetians. Freedom from the Italian yoke is tempting, but not if it is replaced with the imperial one.

We did have a similar conclusion IATL, as well! Empress Mary and Louise of Savoy played a big role in securing the Treaty of Longwy following the War of the League of Valenciennes... Empress Mary's last hurrah, it became known as the Paix des Madames, though it did not outlive either woman: Mary died shortly after the signing, iirc, and Louise died shortly thereafter. Beatriz and Anne definitely play a role in heating up the next conflict, though I wouldn't lay the blame completely at their doorstep!

Yup. IIRC, the Jesuits even had plantations and owned slaves within what is now the United States. In 1838 they sold 272 slaves worth $115,000 to two Louisianan planters. But to be fair, I think that the Jesuits of the 18th-19th centuries had strayed somewhat from the founders of the order. Certainly the Jesuit founders and many earlier Jesuits had more nuanced views: Ignatius of Loyola saw slavery as a means of protecting and serving poor, while Francis Xavier opposed it. Some saw slavery as a chance of having a captive audience for evangelization, and certainly even the earlier Jesuits were involved in the Portuguese slave trade that enslaved East Africans.

Poor Beatriz went through the ringer in this TL. I never intended for her to get such a harsh portrayal... but as it played out, it made her eventual ending all the more sweeter. I knew that she'd end up in Milan with her son, and I decided that her happiness should also include a new child and daughter—though she has a daughter named Marie from François, I wanted her to have another child in a more loving environment. I'm excited to see how Isabella d'Este thrives as she gets older!

I was pretty torn over possible locations. I did quite like the idea of Konstanz and even Besançon, but I had no doubt that François II would have an intense reaction to such an idea, just as Charles V did regarding the idea of Arles and Avignon. We'd tried a council dominated by France which failed, the German national synod did not accomplish much either.

I really wanted to get it out of Italy, too. This only really left Switzerland as a possible avenue. I would've loved the idea of a second council in Basel or even Zürich, but the spread of Protestantism limited my ideas to what was Switzerland's Catholic core. Still, I thought Lucerne was a good compromise, with a central space within the middle of the Confederacy. You are correct though in that Protestantism is pretty wide spread: as you can see here, Lucerne and a few other cantons are essentially the Catholic "center" surrounded by Protestant cantons (though the Three Leagues seem to have a degree of religious plurality). It will definitely be interesting, as the Catholics pour in, but Protestants do too... I can only imagine the reaction of the Protestant cantons, most especially Geneva. Jean Calvin will certainly have a heyday as well, and I'm sure he can pump out some pretty interesting treatises if he decides to attend. It will certainly be a lively city during this time!

We are looking at a situation where the Spirituali will continue to flourish! Carafa can continue to sulk—it is his Zelanti who must be dealt with, those who wish to close their eyes and pretend that nothing has changed and that nothing needs to change. They are the pox upon the church! Assuming Adrian VI can reign as pontiff for a decent period of time, he'll be in a good position to stack the curia and College of Cardinals with those who believe in the same cause he does. I haven't decided the length of his pontificate just yet, but he will live beyond his OTL death date in 1558. I want him to be able to make a mark and be able to keep the Spirituali movement going into the 1560s and 1570s.

Urbino: Lorenzo was still Duke of Urbino for a time. He married Madeleine de la Tour d'Auvergne as in OTL: but instead of a daughter, Madeleine gave birth to a son, who was named Lorenzo. Both parents perished shortly after his birth as IOTL, and Lorenzo was recognized as Duke of Urbino much as Catherine de Medici was, with the Papacy using it as an excuse to annex the duchy. Florence would retain the Fortress of San Leo.

Following Leo X's death however, young Lorenzo was deprived of the duchy and Urbino was restored in full to the della Rovere family in the person of Francesco Maria. It is now likely held by one of his sons, but not sure with. He had a lot of kids post-POD, and I haven't really worked on any family trees yet for the smaller Italian principalities. Mainly the larger ones (Ferrara, Mantua, Florence, Savoy, ect.) Lorenzo, son of the Duke of Urbino and Madeleine was eventually made Duke of Florence, and now reigns in Florence as Lorenzo III. I would presume the young duke likely gave up his claims to Urbino in the negotiations surrounding the Treaty of Longwy in 1529 that established the Duchy of Florence, since that represented the height of French influence in Italy and also lead to a French garrison being installed in Florence.

Ok, I couldn't resist, sorry, but I think that the good Reginald himself wants to continue to carry forward the political agenda of the spiritualists with intransigence, he will end up in a very bad situation, for 2 reasons : the first is obviously having not only Carafa against him, but the entire traditionalist Catholic hierarchy ( in Otl as much as Paul III supported the reform faction, he knew very well that some of their ideas were tremendously abhorred by the rest of the curia and the Roman people ( because they knew about Lutherans = the scoundrels who sacked and raped Rome and its citizens for 8 months ) furthermore the "Sola Fidei", I am sorry to say ( for the hopes of the readers and the author of the story ) is an ideology that openly conflicts in a very violent way with 2000 years of history, traditions and Catholic theology, so it won't get much of a following even if Reginald tries his hardest in TL, since it also paves the way for other even "worse" ideologies ( like Calvinist predestination ) from the point of view of Catholic thought ( which prefers to combine the interpretation of the Bible, works of charity and customs developed over the centuries as well as the search for a compromise with the cultures of other regions, something that Protestantism with its extreme rigidity has never managed to do with success ) therefore I am convinced that Hadrian will have a bad surprise/awakening during his council in Lucerne, but that it will be necessary for the continuation of his pontificate in the future, I conclude that we will see the new Pope ultimately opt for a middle ground as a compromise, which will displease both the most extremist parts ( i.e. the Lutheran and Calvinist representatives as well as the more conservative wing of the curia ) but which allows him to be able to recover some areas where heresy was taking root but at the same time without distorting the foundations of Catholicism ( in practice I imagine a sort of Uniate Church-style agreement, where " the former heretics " keep a good part of their liturgy, except for some small concessions for Rome, but for the rest they are left alone by it )

Last edited:
Chapter 42. The Imperial Division
Chapter 42. The Imperial Division
1549-1555; Germany & Spain.

“The wonderful inheritance of these provinces which passed into my hands
nearly forty years ago have been well governed by you for nearly twenty.
I now pass them unto you as agreed upon… know that no prince has
ever had as fine a brother as I ever had in your person.”
— Charles V’s Deathbed Testament, 1555.

Musical Accompaniment: Circumdederunt me Gemitus Mortis

450px-Portrait_of_Charles_V%2C_Holy_Roman_Emperor%2C_seated_%281500%E2%80%931558%29%2C_formerly_attributed_to_Titian_%28Alte_Pinakothek%2C_Munich%29.jpg

Portrait of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, c. 1548.

The defeat of the Protestant rebels in 1548 had placed Charles V at his most remarkable epoch. Not only had he sufficiently cowed the Protestant party and pressed for their inclusion into a general council, but he also succeeded in the dreams long harbored by his Burgundian ancestors. The imperial dominions of the Low Countries had been reorganized as the Kingdom of Burgundy. Burgundy was granted electoral status, while imperial authority in northern and central Germany had been reestablished after decades of reduction. “The early years of Charles V are often remembered for their disasters,” one historian wrote in his biography of the emperor. “The Spanish revolts, the Battle of Lodi, loss of Naples… all are remembered as low points of his reign—and the emperor is poorly regarded in most Spanish historiography as a monarch who ignored them for the pursuits of an empire. Despite these losses, the 1540s represented the high point of the emperor’s reign through his reforms within the Holy Roman Empire—rendering him better regarded among German and Italian historians.” The Diet of Augsburg closed in 1548 without issues—it would be followed in 1549 by the Diet of Frankfurt, where Charles’ son and heir, Maximilian of Bohemia, was formally elected as King of the Romans. This recognized Maximilian formally as his father’s successor—and would allow him to succeed as Holy Roman Emperor upon his father’s demise.

In the summer of 1549, Charles returned to the Low Countries—accompanied by his son and his daughter-in-law. Maximilian had appointed Jan IV Popel as Bohemia’s Supreme Burgrave to serve as Bohemia’s viceroy and governor in his (and the queen’s) absence. “His Majesty reached Brussels in July 1549,” one burgher wrote in a letter to his family. “Accompanied by the King and Queen of the Romans, the emperor’s heir was granted a Joyous Entry into the capital… they proceeded to the Palace of Coudenburg, where the emperor had assembled the notables of Burgundy. Before them all, he declared that his son would be recognized as the Archduke of Brabant as heir to the Kingdom of Burgundy—among his more numerous (and prestigious) titles.” Though the Reformatio Imperii, Charles V had used the Privilegium Maius to name his children as Princes of Burgundy—but had also ensured that the heir to the kingdom would bear the title of Archduke of Brabant. Though the emperor was happily received in Brussels, one thorny issue remained unresolved—that of Empress Renée, still in exile at the Hof van York in Mechelen. “Empress Renée endured two difficult years in purgatory following the discovery of her Protestant faith,” one of Renée’s biographers wrote. “Held incommunicado at the Hof van York, she was kept under scrutiny and forced to attend Catholic masses. During the emperor’s time abroad, she was regularly visited by Inquisitor Tapper, who encouraged her to recant.” Renée remained stubbornly defiant, declaring to Tapper: “Here is where I stand, and where I shall always stand; I am as steadfast in my beliefs as you believe in yours.” Despite her bold declaration, matters would soon reach a crescendo.

Upon Charles’ return to Brussels, many within his council pressed him to deal with the matter of the empress, which had now become a festering wound. Some, such as Perrenot, argued that a formal complaint should be lodged before the Inquisition, allowing Renée to be charged and to let the emperor escape a marriage that had become odious to him. Others, such as Viglius van Ayatta and even his son Maximilian, argued that the emperor should practice leniency by seeking the empresses’ recantation without an ecclesiastical trial. Maximilian especially feared that any formal trial would only embolden the Protestant Party, who had, after all, been granted limited liberties before the general council could be convened. It was a complicated matter that split the council, though all of them agreed that issues could not continue as they had in the previous two years. “Empress Renée’s imprisonment is the scandal of Europe and the Christendom,” Prince Arianitto Comène stated in an address to the council. “All know of her imprisonment and the reasons, yet our ambassadors are asked for answers they cannot provide daily. We have dithered for too long, and a conclusion must be reached. His Majesty is seen as a monster, a brute, a fool—and worse, a man who cannot control his wife or household. We must regain the initiative and show the emperor is in full control of the situation, or else we lose all we have worked towards.” The matter worried Charles greatly—he poured his worries and frustrations into a letter to his brother, Ferdinand: “This matter has weighed daily upon my head. I know it must be dealt with—and my waiting has not helped matters. Were she any other heretic, she would be dealt with as she ought to be. But this one is not any other—she is my lady wife and my empress.”
400px-Clouet_Renata_Ferrara.JPG

Renée of France, Holy Roman Empress; Woodcut c. 1570s.

Ferdinand encouraged his brother to trust his faith: “You know within your heart of hearts, with God’s grace, what you must do. Trust in Christ, for he never gives us unnecessary burdens; all handed to us is given to overcome. Yes, she is your lady wife—but she has erred in the teachings of our Holy Church and has embraced the filth of Calvin and Luther. Allow the Inquisition to do its work, for all are equal before God… empress. Trust that God shall bring about the right resolution. Should you waver, think only of our august grandmother, Isabella of Castile—all she has done for our faith has fallen to us as her successors. We cannot err now—you must judge Renée as Isabella once judged Boabdil and his ilk.” In early 1550, Charles formally lodged an accusation against Renée with the Inquisition. Though Inquisitor Ruard Tapper had previously led the investigation against the empress, his methods were judged too soft. One letter from Charles to the Roman Curia said only: “Ensure that Her Majesty is seen by Inquisitor Titelmans, not Tapper.” Compared to Tapper, who believed in spiritual solutions, Pieter Titelmans was a notorious inquisitor previously active in Flanders who considered rooting out heresy his top priority. In March 1550, Renée was arrested by Titelmans at the Hof van York in Mechelen.

Titelmans ordered Renée transferred to Gravensteen, where she was imprisoned within the citadel. Titelmans conducted his first interrogation of the empress there sometime in April 1550. He wasted no time writing to the emperor: “Your Majesty—it is with great sorrow that I must announce that the empress is a most notorious heretic. By this crime, she has not only forfeited all her possessions but your affection as well.” Renée had endured two years of danger since the discovery of her faith, and though she had not seen her children in all that time, it was Titelmans mocking jape that the empress would never see her children again that caused her to falter. “I collapsed to the ground,” Renée would later write in her private journals—many years later. “Two years of purgatory, danger, and fear had greatly weakened my resolve… made only worse when I was transferred to Gravensteen. I feared that I might die, and as much as I might have welcomed it, there remained a small speck within me that desired to live. My faith had been tested beyond all manner of things; when the awful inquisitor proclaimed that I would never see my children again, I could not help but cry out: ‘Do not allow me to be parted from my children any longer than I have been already monsieur!’ He said only what he had said from the beginning—that I must recant and accept the error of my ways… and so I did. On condition of being reunited with my children, I signed my confession and admitted my errors… all the while, within my mind and my heart, God spoke and urged me forward. Survive, he told me—survive, and all shall be well in five years. Five years of submission seemed but a small price to pay, so I closed my heart and mind to all that I knew and believed to be true. I allowed God, and only God, to guide me in the next six years going forward.”

Renée formally signed her confession in May 1550, returning (at least nominally) to the Catholic Church. While Renée would never again attend mass, her position was restored. Though Charles was pleased to put the matter behind him, the situation had completely altered the relationship that had hereto existed between the emperor and empress. “I am most glad that you have seen the error of your ways, madam,” Charles wrote in a terse letter to Renée, dated from May 1550. “But it cannot change that I have seen a piece of you that I wish had never seen. Your mischief has caused great trouble and pain—not only to me but to our children. Though you have recanted, I must be frank that my views have not changed: I continue to desire that you should live apart from me, and I am pleased to allow you to retain the Hof van York for your personal use. As for the children—I shall allow you to have custody of Adélaïde and Jean.” While Renée’s recantation could not fix that which had already been shattered, she was able to escape with her neck intact. For Renée’s children with the emperor, the situation was complicated. Her eldest daughter, Anne (b. 1533), was a staunch Catholic who had been hastily wed to Theodor of Bavaria in 1548—she expressed no desire to speak or have contact with her mother, and Anne would never reconcile with her mother. Renée’s eldest son, Charles (b. 1535), had been ripped from her household and placed into the care of Cardinal Waldburg, the Prince-Bishop of Augsburg, who was already grooming the young prince for a clerical career. Likewise, Michèle (b. 1538), Renée’s youngest daughter with the emperor, had been placed into a convent—and out of her reach. This left only Adélaîde and Jean—Charles agreeing that rejoining their mother’s household was a small price to have peace within his dominions and to ensure the Protestants had no cannon fodder to use against him in this delicate time. Nevertheless, all knew that eyes were sat upon the Hof van York, and both children retained their Catholic tutors, and Catholic religious services were regularly held, which they attended.

With the election of Adrian VI in 1550, Charles V’s concerns in the later portion of his reign would center around bringing the general council promised by Gelasius III to fruition. Initially opened in Bologna in 1549, problems in 1550 saw Adrian VI shift the council to Lucerne—along with the appointment of fresh legates who would oversee the council. Though Charles had aided in Adrian’s election, this did not mean that some concerns lingered among certain prelates and theologians attached to the imperial court. “Cardinal Carafa spewed his venom far and wide across Europe, seeking an audience to all who might listen,” one theologian attached to the imperial court at Brussels wrote. “While some saw him as a man who had been humbled, others perhaps saw half-truths amid his lies: certainly, there were concerns around the pope’s intentions at Lucerne—matters made little better by his first cardinal appointments and his legatine appointments.” Charles, at least, was prepared to trust the man he had helped elect—the emperor seeing Adrian VI as the only man perhaps capable of reunifying the splintered Christendom. While the Protestants remained wary of the church’s intentions, they had little choice following their military defeat. Charles allowed the Protestants relative freedom in assembling a delegation to Lucerne; he asked that the Elector Palatine and his son, the King of Romans, oversee the task, while final confirmation would be in his aegis. The Protestant delegation from Germany would include notable theologians such as Philipp Melanchthon, Johann Brenz, and Nicolaus von Amsdorf, among others.

400px-Willem_Key_-_Portrait_of_a_member_of_de_Croy_family%2C_portrayed_1547%2C_aged_56.jpg

Portrait of a member of the Cröy Family (Believed to be the Bishop of Cambrai), c. 1548.

Charles also assembled a Catholic delegation to represent his interests at Lucerne. Headed by Robert de Croÿ, the Bishop of Tournai, the Catholic deputation would include notable prelates such as Julius von Pflug, the Bishop of Naumburg, alongside the Archbishops of Cologne, Mainz, and Trier. This also included notable Catholic theologians: in the suite of the Bishop of Tournai was a fiery Dutch Jesuit known as Cornelius Becanus, alongside men such as Johann Gropper and Franciscus Sonnius. “His Majesty wasted no expense on his delegation to the council in Lucerne,” one chronicle of Charles’ court stated. “He ordered that they should have the freshest and fastest horses available in their travels through the empire to Lucerne and arranged for his delegation to have a monthly subsidy to cover costs for lodging, food, and other expenses while staying in Lucerne.” Such generosity did not extend to the Protestant delegation—they were instead forced to raise funds from among the Protestant princes—the Saxon Estates alone agreed to provide some 6000 thalers to cover the delegation’s expenses despite protests from the newly entrenched elector Severin, who was a staunch Roman Catholic. “Who can truly say how these matters may turn out?” one member of Melanchthon’s suite wrote in a letter to his brother. “While the emperor prepares a most generous dowry for his Catholic envoys, we beg for crumbs. Shall we even be able to reach Leipzig, let alone Lucerne?” The King of Romans alleviated troubles among the Protestant delegation by asking that the Bohemian Diet extend funding, with a Hussite delegation to attend with the Protestants.

Despite Charles’ generosity, he was forced to confront his financial issues. By 1550, the emperor’s debts totaled 18 million ducats—mainly incurred from the numerous wars fought during his reign and owed primarily to German banking houses such as the Fuggers and Weslers. The 1530s saw a severance of the imperial administration from that of Spain. As Ferdinand took further control over the Spanish kingdoms, Charles’ own administration became increasingly Burgundian, with its outlook focused on the Low Countries and the empire. By the end of his reign, Charles received no financial support from the Spanish dominions he was nominally king of. He was supported wholly by the revenues of his hereditary dominions and what he received from the empire. “By 1550, the imperial treasury was in a fractious state,” one financial historian wrote. “Charles V borrowed enormous amounts from the German bankers who allowed him to do so because of his political situation… it was not uncommon for the emperor to defer payments rather than pay them back; he utilized short-term agreements where he leveraged future revenues and more long-term agreements. By the end of his reign, he had borrowed 29 million ducats from German banking houses… interest alone caused the total amount owed to swell to 38 million.” In some cases, Charles leveraged his outstanding debts to pay off more urgent debts. In 1553, Charles made his final £50,000 payment to England, which allowed him to redeem both Dunkirk and Gravelines—a payment made possible by Charles leasing out four years of Antwerp’s customs duties to the Brussels Branch of the Cromwell Company, an English trading syndicate whose influence had begun to grow throughout the 1550s. This allowed Charles to clear his debts to his English cousin, dating back nearly forty years.

Maximilian and Elisabeth settled in the Low Countries following his crowning as King of the Romans. Maximilian’s marriage to Elisabeth had also proved quite fruitful. By 1555, Maximilian had five living children—Marie (b. 1545), Philippe (b. 1550), Marguerite (b. 1551), Frédéric (b. 1553) and Catherine (b. 1554). Charles offered Maximilian and his growing family use of Coudenburg Palace, but by the mid-1550s, Maximilian desired to have his own seat as King of the Romans and Archduke of Brabant. The Estates General proved eager to aid Maximilian in these endeavors and provided funding for the building of a Hôtel Particulier in the Sablon district of Brussels, which would become known as the Hôtel de Saint-André, but more commonly known as the Hôtel de l’Archiduc. Aside from this, Maximilian also began the construction of a palace of his own on the outskirts of Brussels known as the Palais de Ixelles. The palace at Ixelles, a blend of Flemish, Italian, and German Mannerist architecture, was commonly known as the Palais Romains in honor of the King of the Romans, who played a hand in laying its first stones.

600px-De_beurs_van_Antwerpen_in_1531.jpg

The Antwerp Bourse, built in 1531.

Despite imperial financial issues, the Low Countries remained economically prosperous—a land of commerce and merchants that provided the bulk of imperial revenues. By the 1550s, Dutch merchants traded throughout Scandinavia and the Baltic, competing against Hanseatic merchants. Great wealth poured into the ports of the Low Countries—it included not only the grains and furs carried into port by Dutch merchants and sailors but also the exotic goods that flowed into the Low Countries through the Portuguese Feitoria in Antwerp—silk, spices, and the glories of East Asia. The Antwerp Bourse opened in 1531 as the world’s first commodities exchange and also served as a critical entrepot of foreign trade in the Low Countries, where merchants across Europe sold and traded goods. Imperial taxes were levied upon such trades, which also helped to restore coffers that had long been impoverished. Other occupations throughout the Low Countries were still strictly regulated through the long-existent guild system, and guilds existed for various groups, from tailors and bakers to even artists and sculptors.

Charles had begun to suffer from ill health starting in the 1540s. In 1544, Charles suffered an injury to his leg at Châtillion-sur-Marne 1544 that would cause him issues for the remainder of his life. Following the Bruderkrieg and the emperor’s retirement to the Low Countries in 1549, he seldom traveled far beyond Brussels—and when he did, it was often by carriage or a sedan chair. The emperor’s health issues were further complicated by gout. Though the emperor had suffered such attacks as early as 1528, they became more frequent as he became older and primarily attacked his hands, legs, and shoulder. “Summoned by His Majesty last night, as well as this morning and afternoon,” Cornelius van Baersdorp, personal physician to the emperor, wrote in his diary. “He has suffered most terribly from this latest attack, made no better by his preferences for great feasts… despite my remonstrances, he continues to indulge himself in repasts of game, pastries, and wines and shows no interest in altering his diet… instead I have prescribed him a drachm of rhubarb, mushroom, and cassia and a poultice of lavender, valerian, and watermint.” Charles was not the best patient for a doctor to have—aside from often disobeying his doctor’s orders, he frequently sought quick fixes. Despite having the best medical care available, Charles would give an eager ear to any quack or charlatan who promised a quick recovery using panaceas, often exotic remedies brought to Europe from America and Asia. In one situation, Charles attempted to use the guaiac bark from a West Indian tree to treat his gout; in another, he pressed for using China root over traditional remedies.

Charles_de_Groux_-_The_death_of_Charles_V.jpg

Death of Charles V, 19th Century Historical Painting.

Charles’ health declined drastically throughout the early 1550s, primarily due to his refusal to adhere to medical advice. Aside from gout, he became increasingly inflicted with neuralgia in his extremities. Doctors also noted a persistent sweet odor within the emperor’s urine—something which today might be recognized as a possible symptom of diabetes. In the summer of 1554, the emperor suffered a mild stroke; he was rendered bedridden for several months but could resume his state duties by the winter. “We continue to remonstrate with His Majesty to be more mindful of matters,” van Baersdorp noted in another entry. “Even the King of Romans has been asked to intercede, to no avail. The emperor continues to suffer from increasingly painful attacks of gout, and my remedies are increasingly ineffective… I have given him yet more concoctions, but I have also advised him of the reality of his situation.” By the beginning of 1555, the emperor’s health had not improved and continued to decline. Maximilian and Elisabeth had formally moved into the Coudenburg Palace to provide solace to the ailing emperor. Even Renée begged to see the emperor again in 1555—he finally agreed to meet her in April, shortly around their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. “His Majesty was but a shell of his former self,” Renée wrote in her diary years later. “At this juncture, I had not seen him in nearly seven years. I did not ask for his absolution—merely to provide his blessing to his children, who remained in my care—Adélaïde and Jean. This he readily provided… I stayed with him for some two hours, during which we discussed the recent death of his mother, Joanna, and reminisced over our earliest years together. I must admit that the meeting was sorrowful, and I shed tears on his behalf….” Charles begged Renée to continue to love their children—those in her care and those without—and to provide any guidance to Maximilian as future emperor. When Renée departed Brussels in late April 1555, Maximilian gave her permission for the empress and her children to take up residence at the Château of Corroy near Gembloux rather than returning to Mechelen. Up until the end, the emperor daily begged for news from Lucerne—where news regarding the possible reunification of the Catholic Christendom had become increasingly bleak.

Charles clung to life throughout the first weeks of May before expiring on June 5, 1555. Upon his death, the emperor’s will and testament was read out before the court at Coudenburg: “As a young man, I stood for the candidacy of the imperial crown… not to increase my possessions, but to engage myself vigorously in procuring the welfare not only of Germany but of my other realms and dominions, in hopes of bringing peace to the Christendom and unifying our cause against the Ottoman Turks. I admit that I was too bogged down in pursuing glory against the King of France… against my enemies, I accomplished what I could. Still, success in war lies only in the hands of God, and though he has seen fit to have granted me victory in my old age, such victories were denied to me in my youth. I confess that I have not been an altogether perfect sovereign—in Spain, I know my name will likely be covered in ignominy for my youthful errors—only through the good work of my brother was my throne in that land saved and secured and that is why he shall succeed me there, as I agreed so many years before. I can only hope my reign has been more successful here in the Low Countries and in Germany. It is with great regret that I pass beyond the veil without knowing what we have wrought, but I hope that I shall leave behind dominions secure and more prosperous than they were when I inherited them. I beg all present that hear my words to know that I strived only to be a sovereign who would be well remembered and well beloved by his subjects—know that my errors and mistakes are my own and were made unknowingly and not out of malice. I leave behind my dominions in the Low Countries, the Kingdom of Burgundy, to my eldest son, Maximilian—King of the Romans and King of Bohemia. I beseech the electors to duly elect him as your emperor and hope he shall serve you better than I have. I remonstrate with my son… be mindful of your subjects, work only for their welfare, peace, and prosperity. If you must learn from my mistakes, I beg that you live peacefully amongst your neighbors and make war less than I had. I ask also that you be thriftier with your finances; do not seek to emulate me through great debt.”

Last edited:
Thus, dies the old and the young get in, a new generation with new ideas and new ambitions that will change the continent as always. How they compare to their forefathers however, remains to be seen.

Great chapter as always, seems like Charles and his descendants are really keen on both paying off the debt as well as truly making Burgundy a Kingdom worthy of the title, if they can achieve it is another story...

Though the emperor was happily received in Brussels, one thorny issue remained unresolved—that of Empress Renée, still in exile at the Hof van York in Mechelen.
Oh noes! Renee!
Renée remained stubbornly defiant, declaring to Tapper: “Here is where I stand, and where I shall always stand; I am as steadfast in my beliefs as you believe in yours.” Despite her bold declaration, matters would soon reach a crescendo.
Not me being very worried over this! 😱
Ensure that Her Majesty is seen by Inquisitor Titelmans, not Tapper.” Compared to Tapper, who believed in spiritual solutions, Pieter Titelmans was a notorious inquisitor previously active in Flanders who considered rooting out heresy his top priority. In March 1550, Renée was arrested by Titelmans at the Hof van York in Mechelen.
This is very much not good at all! Damn those inquisitiors!
Renée formally signed her confession in May 1550, returning (at least nominally) to the Catholic Church.
Atleast she played the game and lived!
I continue to desire that you should live apart from me, and I am pleased to allow you to retain the Hof van York for your personal use. As for the children—I shall allow you to have custody of Adélaïde and Jean.”
Well, that is better than being locked up completely.
“Cardinal Carafa spewed his venom far and wide across Europe, seeking an audience to all who might listen,”
Joy. He must be fun at parties.
a payment made possible by Charles leasing out four years of Antwerp’s customs duties to the Brussels Branch of the Cromwell Company, an English trading syndicate whose influence had begun to grow throughout the 1550s.
Is that The Cromwell himself or his boy? You snuck him in after all!
Maximilian and Elisabeth settled in the Low Countries following his crowning as King of the Romans. Maximilian’s marriage to Elisabeth had also proved quite fruitful. By 1555, Maximilian had five living children—Marie (b. 1545), Philippe (b. 1550), Marguerite (b. 1551), Frédéric (b. 1553) and Catherine (b. 1554). Charles offered Maximilian and his growing family use of Coudenburg Palace, but by the mid-1550s, Maximilian desired to have his own seat as King of the Romans and Archduke of Brabant. The Estates General proved eager to aid Maximilian in these endeavors and provided funding for the building of a Hôtel Particulier in the Sablon district of Brussels, which would become known as the Hôtel de Saint-André, but more commonly known as the Hôtel de l’Archiduc. Aside from this, Maximilian also began the construction of a palace of his own on the outskirts of Brussels known as the Palais de Ixelles. The palace at Ixelles, a blend of Flemish, Italian, and German Mannerist architecture, was commonly known as the Palais Romains in honor of the King of the Romans, who played a hand in laying its first stones.
My darling boy. Mary would be so proud and that palacade sounds awesome.
Even Renée begged to see the emperor again in 1555—he finally agreed to meet her in April, shortly around their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. “His Majesty was but a shell of his former self,” Renée wrote in her diary years later. “At this juncture, I had not seen him in nearly seven years. I did not ask for his absolution—merely to provide his blessing to his children, who remained in my care—Adélaïde and Jean. This he readily provided… I stayed with him for some two hours, during which we discussed the recent death of his mother, Joanna, and reminisced over our earliest years together. I must admit that the meeting was sorrowful, and I shed tears on his behalf….” Charles begged Renée to continue to love their children—those in her care and those without—and to provide any guidance to Maximilian as future emperor. When Renée departed Brussels in late April 1555, Maximilian gave her permission for the empress and her children to take up residence at the Château of Corroy near Gembloux rather than returning to Mechelen.
Atleast they reconciledI. hope she has a better life now that Charles is dead.
I ask also that you be thriftier with your finances; do not seek to emulate me through great debt.”
Ha! Let's see how long that will last given that France wants the provinces of Artois and Franche Comte for themselves!