Cronus Invictus: An Alternate Console Wars (Something a bit different)

Dom

The lines in the sand are drawn.

You killed of the Playstation :eek:

You monster!

Agree, I blame you for killing the Playstation Thande!

As a Sony fanboy I say, you bastard you destroyed the greatest achievement of the 20th century!

... You destroyed Playstation?

You're dead. :mad:

And I approve of killing the PlayStation, it will give the rightful market dominance to Nintendo 64. :D :p

I trust you Thande and you are now an true friend for the destruction of Sony's foray, but I'm curious will Crash, Spyro, and Little Big Planet happen now? Subscribed.

The death of Playstation before it's even thought of? A continued Nintendo-Sega console war?

Excellent.:D

Begun, the console wars have :p

Atari's not my area of expertise so that was an error on my part. Not that it's particularly important to this TL but thanks for the correction.

No problem, it's just a concern of mind across the board on here. I stumbled upon this forum by accident, but am noticing a lot of Alternate/POD stuff in various threads based on incorrect ITL info. So I figured I'd try and help out in those regards.

BTW - you may not be aware of the ripple effect but most of the later consoles, including the Playstation you're cutting out in POD have a tie to Atari.

- Nintendo's marketing staff during the NES and later were all the former Atari Inc. marketing staff.

-Michale Katz, the head of Sega of America during the Genesis/MegaDrive years had literally just left Atari Corp. where he was head of the Electronic Entertainment division from '85-'89 (and oversaw the 7800). Interestingly, Sega of America had approached Tramiel/Atari Corp. in '88 while Katz was still there, about releasing the Genesis under them (just as Nintendo had tried that with Atari Inc. 5 years earlier). How about that for a possible alternate time line. ;)

-The head of Director of Hardware Engineering and Product Service, Jerry Jessop, is a former Atari Inc. engineer.

BTW - you may not be aware of the ripple effect but most of the later consoles, including the Playstation you're cutting out in POD have a tie to Atari.
Interesting.

More ripples: According to an old article I read the Saturn was beefed up to have a better chance against the Playstation. If that does not happen the 3DO and Atari Jaguar consoles should do better even if Sega now avoids that disastrous early launch that flogged their image.

The 32x might also do better. The CD32 and CD-I OTOH were true duds. I recall seeing them demonstrated in a shop right next to a tired old SNES. The CD-I looked somewhat impressive with 7th guest, but that was its only good game, while the CD32 pumped out graphics and sound that looked and sounded worse than whatever the SNES was playing.

Now, what system will Namco port Ridge Racer and Tekken to? :rolleyes:

Thande

Donor
1989:

Nintendo celebrated its 100th anniversary by releasing the Game Boy in Japan and North America; Europe would have to wait for another year. The Game Boy was Nintendo's first handheld system with swappable cartridges. Based on both its earlier single-game Game 'n' Watch system and a simplified NES, the Game Boy went head-to-head in North America with Atari's own new handheld, the Lynx (Atari having switched from a numerical naming system to one based on the names of big cats). Comparing the two, the Game Boy had a monochromatic screen and inferior sound, but it also had a much larger library of games - Atari still failing to attract back many of the third-party developers who had been scared off by the Great Crash - its non-backlit screen allowed longer battery time, and, crucially, it came in at about half the price of the Lynx. The bulkier Lynx thus failed to compete effectively and sold less than a million units, in comparison to the Game Boy's multi-million sales on both sides of the Pacific.

360px-Gameboy.jpg

The Nintendo Game Boy

800px-Atari-lynx-1-1000.jpeg

The Atari Lynx

Not everything would go Nintendo's way that year, however, as marketing in the film The Wizard, largely intended to stoke up interest for the soon-to-be-released Super Mario Bros. 3, also overhyped the Power Glove, a Mattel-produced motion-sensor peripheral for the NES whose lack of accuracy proved disappointing. Nonetheless the film is of interest as it was produced by Universal, which had sued Nintendo a few years previously over the implicit reference to King Kong in Nintendo's early success Donkey Kong. (As it turned out, Universal's impression that they owned the copyright for said film turned out to be incorrect in any case). This is a nice illustration of Nintendo's capacity for co-opting its former enemies later on.

Wizard1989.jpg

"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad."

Finally, Nintendo also won a lawsuit against Tengen over unlicensed NES games, and another against Camerica over the latter's code-cracking "Game Genie" add-on for the NES.[1] Both companies were forced to discontinue their products.

GameGenie-NES-Front.JPG

The NES Game Genie without and with "Super Mario Bros" cartridge ("Game Pak") inserted

Elsewhere in the gaming world, SimCity was released by Maxis, originally for home computers such as the Atari ST, but later ported to the 16-bit consoles on account of its popularity. The same was true of Prince of Persia, also released this year originally for the Apple II.

Meanwhile, while Nintendo's Super Famicom/SNES remained on the drawing board, two Japanese 16-bit consoles were released to eager Americans this year: the NEC PC Engine, released under the name TurboGrafx-16 (emphasising its 16-bit nature, which was in fact fairly questionable, given that it actually had an 8-bit processor) and the Sega Mega Drive. Owing to copyright reasons (the term Mega Drive was already owned in America), this too was released under an alias: the Sega Genesis.

turbografx-16.jpg

The NEC TurboGrafx-16

800px-Sega_Genesis_original_model.jpg

Original American release of the Sega Mega Drive ("Genesis")

Both consoles were initially slow to take off in the American market, which for the present preferred to stick with the NES. It might be graphically inferior but it was reliable, well-established and had a respectable library of games. Either company would need to come up with something very clever indeed if they were ever to overcome Nintendo's crushing dominance...

[1] The first is OTL, the second is a butterfly. In the long run, banishing the Game Genie from shelves + notorious 1980s Nintendo Hard games may not be such a winning strategy for Nintendo...

Hm, interesting that the Game Genie and its ilk will be banned... that seems like it will have lasting effects for pretty much any time of unlicensed console add-on.

Thande

Donor
Hm, interesting that the Game Genie and its ilk will be banned... that seems like it will have lasting effects for pretty much any time of unlicensed console add-on.

It also kills two rather than one of the sources of NES homebrew games. Important because the NES saw a fair few (really bad) homebrew ports of 16-bit games from other systems; there was even a port of Sonic 1 if you can believe that. Because, obviously, only licensed companies are allowed to do that (see: half the Game Gear's library :rolleyes: ).

Thande

Donor
1990:

In Japan, Nintendo finally released its Super Famicom with Super Mario Bros. 4 (released elsewhere as Super Mario World) as the launch title. The system soon showed that its graphics could at the very least match the Mega Drive's and its sound chips were more sophisticated. Nonetheless, the delay in releasing the console as the SNES in America (one year) and Europe (two) would prove crucial...

Super_Famicom.jpg

The Nintendo Super Famicom

Super_Mario_World_gameplay.png

Super Mario Bros. 4 a.k.a. Super Mario World

Two new handhelds came out in Japan to challenge the Game Boy's dominance, both failing to make much of a dent in its sales. Like the Lynx in America, both were more technically capable than the Game Boy but also more expensive. Sega's Game Gear was essentially a portable Master System, while NEC's TurboExpress, more impressively, was a portable PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16. The latter's sales were disastrous thanks to poor marketing, and Japan was not the only market in which marketing would spell trouble for NEC...

951216-gg_sys_super.jpg

The Sega Game Gear (Japanese/American version 1)[1]

Nec_TurboExpress_machine.jpg

The NEC TurboExpress

Nintendo proved the NES' continuing popularity in North America by releasing the celebrated Super Mario Bros. 3 and the puzzle game Dr. Mario, clearly inspired by Tetris but, unlike many Tetris-clones on the market, using distinct game mechanics as well as simple mascot power. Capcom also continued its Mega Man series on the NES with the release of Mega Man 3 in both Japan and North America: once more, a two-year delay in the European version (already hampered by the NES' poorer sales there) continued to ensure that series stayed off the European radar.

Super_Mario_Bros._3_NES_ScreenShot3.jpg

Super Mario Bros 3

drmario.jpg

Dr. Mario

megaman3.jpg

Mega Man 3

But for all of Nintendo's success, great things were afoot. A tectonic shift, a - if you'll pardon the pun - game changer.

Disappointed with the "Genesis"' poor impact in North America, Sega of America's CEO Michael Katz's marketing strategies were criticised. As Nintendo owned the rights to many arcade ports - which hampered the "Genesis"' major selling point of arcade-style graphics compared to the NES - Katz elected to publish a large number of games with celebrity tie-ins to try and build publicity. Most of these were sports-related and sold poorly. One exception was Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, a licence of the eponymous singer's equally eponymous film. The game was developed with Jackson's oversight, incorporated his trademarks and music (as well as the console could reproduce it) and, unlike many licences, was a genuinely good platformer which well represented the "Genesis"' superior graphics, for all its peculiarities. It also began a long relationship between Sega and Jackson.

27912_MichaelJacksonsMoonwalker.jpg

"Michael Jackson's Moonwalker"

Katz's other tactic had been to adopt a very confrontational approach to illustrate the "Genesis"' superiority over the NES, emphasising its graphics and its 16-bit nature, culminating in the slogan "Genesis Does What Nintendon't".

SegaGenesis-NintendontAd.jpg

That infamous Sega ad campaign.

But this had failed to make much impact on "Genesis" sales, and midway through the year Katz was replaced as Sega of America CEO with Tom Kalinske, who had new and radical ideas for selling the console. Kalinske decided that the "Genesis" needed its own iconic mascot to rival Mario, and the resulting game should be packaged with the console rather than Altered Beast. The Japanese board of directors thought he was mad, but President Hayao Nakayama approved Katz's strategy, and Sega's AM8 division was directed to create Katz's game-changer of a game.

By contrast to its disappointing American sales and positively anaemic Japanese ones (where it was consistently outsold by the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16) the Mega Drive roared into supremacy in Europe practically from its release, also this year. It helped that the competition was limited: the Master System had outsold the NES, and the TurboGrafx-16 only made it to Britain, and then in limited numbers. Sega also capitalised on the Master System's strong sales by releasing the Power Base Converter, a peripheral which allowed Master System game cartridges to be played on the Mega Drive.

P1000809.jpg

Sega Mega Drive with Power Base Converter (American model shown, hence "Genesis" signage)

The Mega Drive's 16-bit graphics blew away the remaining competition from the home computer market and Sega adopted a marketing campaign that needed not be so confrontational as in North America, but was nonetheless "edgy" and attacked the kiddie image of computer games. Their preferred slogan was "To be this good takes AGES - to be this good takes SEGA!"

Sega_Pirate.png

The Sega Pirate, host of European Sega adverts

segaviz2.jpg

Raunchy Mega Drive advert in "Viz"

And so the Mega Drive would be the "cool" console of the rebellious European kid of the early 90s, even before the release of Katz's master plan...

[1] In OTL, the Game Gear only had one version. Bear that in mind...

Thande

Donor
I found this nifty bit of Console Wars culture from Sonic the Comic circa 1993 - by that point divergences will have accumulated in this TL to an extent that I won't be able to use it as in-timeline media - so enjoy it now.

ME A.JPG

Nice find Thande. I loved Sega ( I grew up playing Genesis and SNES)even though I had an SNES I played Sonic because it was colorful and pretty and had robots. Then Sega dropped the ball and I stuck with Nintendo until 2008 with 2 weeks with an PS2 and then in August I bought an 360. Much to my brother's Nintendo Fanboy dismay...
I'm rambling, I have this feeling that Europe may actually toss their hat into the ring in this TL.

MacCaulay

Banned
I LOVE THE POWERGLOVE. IT'S SO BAD...

I didn't think anyone remembered that movie!!!

I just about fell out of my chair when I saw that!!!

I wonder if this means we'll get that amazing Duke Nukem game that's been promised us for o so many years...

I didn't think anyone remembered that movie!!!

I just about fell out of my chair when I saw that!!!

I wonder if this means we'll get that amazing Duke Nukem game that's been promised us for o so many years...

THAT would be a sign of the apocalypse coming! :D

Now this is my kind of TL.:cool: I hope Mr. Katz's secret weapon is still the fastest thing alive. Also, out of curiosity, when do you place his Jump The Shark moment? I always found the Adventure games to be pretty good, even if nowhere near Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but apparently I'm a minority.

Now this is my kind of TL.:cool: I hope Mr. Katz's secret weapon is still the fastest thing alive. Also, out of curiosity, when do you place his Jump The Shark moment? I always found the Adventure games to be pretty good, even if nowhere near Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but apparently I'm a minority.

No, you and me both.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the best, yes. Doesn't change the Adventure games being good.

BUT.

Sonic Adventure 2 is 'it'. Shadow has been the perfect representation of how Sonic fell in every way-from a plot becoming overly complicated to too many shitty recolors coming in (Knuckles shoulda been it, dammit...) to not being able to hack out a new, good game (Adventure 2 being more of Adventure 1...) to being forced to include too many characters for fear of a 'favorite' being gone, and unable to fix gameplay and camera flaws.

Sorry to butt in-it's just that Sonic's fall from grace is both a source of great laughs, and depression all the same.