Cronus Invictus: An Alternate Console Wars (Something a bit different)

Yeah but it's associated with Atari.

TTL we might see an exclusive release of something like OTL's Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (only with better graphics) on the new-Atari-console-whose-name-I'm-not-giving-away-yet.

However he was mentioning it as if it was released by Atari. It was not.

And additionally, it was also released for the Commodore 64, ColecoVision, Intellivision, and MSX platforms.

Thande

Donor
However he was mentioning it as if it was released by Atari. It was not.

And additionally, it was also released for the Commodore 64, ColecoVision, Intellivision, and MSX platforms.

Yes I agree but it is nonetheless associated in the public mind with Atari. Same as...oh, I don't know...Rainbow Islands is associated with the Master System even though it was also released on the NES, or Mega Man or Castlevania are thought of as Nintendo franchises before the PlayStation even though both had more limited releases on the Mega Drive and Game Gear.

I have actually ordered Sonic Adventure for Christmas to see what all the fuss is about. TBH my objections were never about graphics or control, but about how the tail was wagging the dog at Sega: the Japanese divisions should never have been allowed creative control over what was ultimately an American franchise appealing primarily to Americans and Europeans.

I never really noticed any changes which struck of nipponocentrism. The two games are set in an obvious US-analogue, for example. You could argue that using "Eggman" instead of Robotnik is an example, but that was set up to be only an alias with Robotnik still being his surname. Do you have any specific grievances, for want of a better word?

Also, you will soon notice the one thing which angers me to no end about Sonic Adventure: Big the Cat's fishing missions. I wish you luck on those, for not even Gamefaqs can guarantee your sanity there.

Thande

Donor
I never really noticed any changes which struck of nipponocentrism. The two games are set in an obvious US-analogue, for example. You could argue that using "Eggman" instead of Robotnik is an example, but that was set up to be only an alias with Robotnik still being his surname. Do you have any specific grievances, for want of a better word?
Well, the fact that it was set in a world with human people for a start...

I did used to get annoyed by the death of Robotnik as a name but now I have seen the relevant cutscenes I accept they came up with a reasonable explanation.

Basically I grew up with the British version of Sonic continuity and it was a bit of a slap in the face to suddenly have all this not on Mobius and Robotnik not to be a figure transformed by an accident and the Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic not to be intrinsically evil and so on...

Also, you will soon notice the one thing which angers me to no end about Sonic Adventure: Big the Cat's fishing missions. I wish you luck on those, for not even Gamefaqs can guarantee your sanity there.
I'm aware of that infamy. You can argue the obsession with fishing on the Dreamcast was a Nipponocentrism, although that may be a tad unfair.

Thande

Donor
Hm, so I guess the butterflies have not really affected the TurboGrafx-16 side of things?

It's more that I really don't know anything about it...I suppose the different development of the CD add-ons might alter things. I recall you mentioning that the TurboGrafx-16 had a version released with the CD add-on integrated into it, like the Sega Multi-Mega/CDX, which might be important for the way trends will develop in TTL.

It's more that I really don't know anything about it...I suppose the different development of the CD add-ons might alter things. I recall you mentioning that the TurboGrafx-16 had a version released with the CD add-on integrated into it, like the Sega Multi-Mega/CDX, which might be important for the way trends will develop in TTL.
To be honest I'm mostly ignorant of it as well, it's just that the Turbo Duo (the combined version you mention) had an amusing advertising campaign :p (Not amusing enough, though, considering it failed and all)

It should also be noted that there was a follow-up console, the PC-FX, that never left the shores of Japan.

Well, the fact that it was set in a world with human people for a start...
To be fair that was almost inevitable. Despite being set on Mobius, the American and British continuities were very divergent, it would have been impossible to satisfy both (not to mention the fact that there were multiple canons in each region), so a human world became a good alternative. At least that's what I've been told by a friend who apparently has connections with some people from back then.
Basically I grew up with the British version of Sonic continuity and it was a bit of a slap in the face to suddenly have all this not on Mobius and Robotnik not to be a figure transformed by an accident and the Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic not to be intrinsically evil and so on...
You were still in high school when Sonic Adventure came out, correct? That seems to be the divide, to me Sonic was just a videogame, a really great video game which I still play years down the line, but a game nonetheless.

Thande

Donor
You were still in high school when Sonic Adventure came out, correct? That seems to be the divide, to me Sonic was just a videogame, a really great video game which I still play years down the line, but a game nonetheless.

Well. If I'm honest I wasn't really in the console gaming market by then anyway. I gave up after Sonic 3D Flickies' Island and by then I had a PC, so I became a PC gamer if anything. (I never actually owned a console as a kid, I just had a lot of friends who did). The Saturn killed it for me and the Dreamcast never appealed - at the time it seemed like cynically pandering to the PlayStation vision of gaming and not Sega at all. In retrospect that might have been a tad unfair.

But yeah - if you were growing up in the early 90s and were a Sega person, Sonic was a lifestyle. I don't think the Nintendo people are comparable, they had far more different popular franchises to spread themselves out on.

Super Sonic ... intrinsically evil and so on...

Honestly, this is one of the things I find most baffling about Brits. If Super Sonic was intrinsically evil then why didn't he attack Tails in the cutscene at the beginning of Sonic 3?

Sachyriel

Banned
Anyone notice Zelda's CD-i games won't be made? This will not bode well for 4chan's future.

I beg to differ.

battle-toads.jpg

Anyways, keep going Thande.:D

For the future: can wel call the pc engine the pc engine please? Turbogfx 16 fx is a silly name.

Metal Gear Solid-gone
Final Fantasy 7-gone
Resistance Fall of Man-gone
Gran Turismo 3- gone

I hate you Thande. I hate you!:p

Metal Gear Solid will still be done in all chance. Maybe with a different name.
FF7 also. And likely better.
Gran Turismo- there are a bazillion games like it. There will be something similar.
Resistance- huh?

Thande

Donor
Honestly, this is one of the things I find most baffling about Brits. If Super Sonic was intrinsically evil then why didn't he attack Tails in the cutscene at the beginning of Sonic 3?

EXACTLY!

That was so confusing to me when I first played Sonic 3...

I think the British writers came up with the idea to explain why Sonic doesn't go Super Sonic all the time if he supposedly had all the Chaos Emeralds in the early issues of Sonic the Comic.

I actually had a thread that was similar to this (though Atari wasn't resurgent), but it seems that you beat me to the punch on a concept I'd given up on. Consider me subscribed, Thande. :p

Now for some questions (if you can answer them):

-Gunpei Yokoi, the man behind the Nintendo GameBoy, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and the like, has obviously had (or will have) his death butterflied away in 1997 and likely his humiliation in the form of the Nintendo VirtualBoy. Any big plans for Yokoi-san?

-What's Rareware's future going to be like in this TL? Still a third party developer or will Nintendo buy them just like OTL?

-Can we expect any of the 'Big Three' (Nintendo, Atari, or Sega) to snap up any third party developers that they didn't in OTL? Atari sorely needs some first party developers of their own if they still plan to continue on as a console manufacturer up until the present day.

-The Sony-Nintendo agreement is going to have some far-reaching consequences, isn't it? A far more powerful opponent in Nintendo than in OTL, I'm sure, for Sega.

-Will you discuss the future of online gaming (if it happens) in this TL?

Thande

Donor
I actually had a thread that was similar to this (though Atari wasn't resurgent), but it seems that you beat me to the punch on a concept I'd given up on. Consider me subscribed, Thande. :p

Now for some questions (if you can answer them):

-Gunpei Yokoi, the man behind the Nintendo GameBoy, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and the like, has obviously had (or will have) his death butterflied away in 1997 and likely his humiliation in the form of the Nintendo VirtualBoy. Any big plans for Yokoi-san?

-What's Rareware's future going to be like in this TL? Still a third party developer or will Nintendo buy them just like OTL?

-Can we expect any of the 'Big Three' (Nintendo, Atari, or Sega) to snap up any third party developers that they didn't in OTL? Atari sorely needs some first party developers of their own if they still plan to continue on as a console manufacturer up until the present day.

-The Sony-Nintendo agreement is going to have some far-reaching consequences, isn't it? A far more powerful opponent in Nintendo than in OTL, I'm sure, for Sega.

-Will you discuss the future of online gaming (if it happens) in this TL?
Those are all good questions, and most of them will be answered...

EXACTLY!

That was so confusing to me when I first played Sonic 3...

I think the British writers came up with the idea to explain why Sonic doesn't go Super Sonic all the time if he supposedly had all the Chaos Emeralds in the early issues of Sonic the Comic.

Having read Sonic The Comic up until the Flicky Island arc, I can say that making super sonic evil was probably their worst idea. All the rest of it was solid if not great, but Super Sonic made no sense when compared to the games. They should have just made Sonic reluctant to use the Chaos Emeralds because of what they did to Kintobor. Or just kept him from having access to all of them at one time.