Gurkani Alam

just a little thing with the Scottish colonys, if you could translate them into gaelic and change the name to suit their area

new fife = Cataibh Nuadh-Threabhachas (New Sutherland)
new Argyll = Siorrachd Pheairt Nuadh-Threabhachas (New Perthshire)
new shetland = Sealtainn Nuadh-Threabhachas (New Shetland)

i know its a bit petty but hey

While I don't wished to be accused of continuing a possible thread-necromancy, I would like to answer a question posed early on...

Is "Gurkani Alam" in Dari, or Farsi? I ask because the word for "world" in Farsi is spelled جهان. This roughly becomes "jahaan" (NOTE: I actually don't remember at the moment what the first vowel should be, partially because this is only a note my professor scribbled on my paper).

However, if "Gurkani Alam" is in Dari (i.e. Afghan/court Persian), I would imagine it's different.

Just trying to help with this glorious piece of AH!

Alam comes from the translation of 'world' into Persian on freelang.net. It seemed the best translation of those it gave, though your jahaan is there too. I did look into it and Alam seemed the best translation of what I was looking for, though I admit I may be wrong...

just a little thing with the Scottish colonys, if you could translate them into gaelic and change the name to suit their area
i know its a bit petty but hey

Not a bad idea, but I just don't have the time or inclination right now. Sorry!

While I don't wished to be accused of continuing a possible thread-necromancy, I would like to answer a question posed early on...

Is "Gurkani Alam" in Dari, or Farsi? I ask because the word for "world" in Farsi is spelled جهان. This roughly becomes "jahaan" (NOTE: I actually don't remember at the moment what the first vowel should be, partially because this is only a note my professor scribbled on my paper).

However, if "Gurkani Alam" is in Dari (i.e. Afghan/court Persian), I would imagine it's different.

Just trying to help with this glorious piece of AH!

"Alam" means "world" in Arabic. Persian adopted a lot of Arabic words, and I imagine this is one, that happens to coexist with a native Persian word.

Alam comes from the translation of 'world' into Persian on freelang.net. It seemed the best translation of those it gave, though your jahaan is there too. I did look into it and Alam seemed the best translation of what I was looking for, though I admit I may be wrong...

"Alam" means "world" in Arabic. Persian adopted a lot of Arabic words, and I imagine this is one, that happens to coexist with a native Persian word.

I see I see. If that's truly the best word, than onto another matter, this one I do understand, and it being a grammatical one.

In Farsi, modifying words follow the noun they modify (ex. the phrase for "my name" is 'Esme man", literally "name of me"). Likewise, the phrase for Mughal World would be the word for world (Alam, in this case), ending with an ezaffah (transliterated into the suffix -i), and then the word for Mughal, which is apparently "Gurkan" or "Gurkani".

The result is the phrase "Alami Gurkan(i)".

I'm sorry if I'm being a stickler, again, just offering what assistance I can.

That's how I understand it. Certainly 'alam' is used in the names of Mughal things in India, which is why I considered it legitimate...

I see I see. If that's truly the best word, than onto another matter, this one I do understand, and it being a grammatical one.

In Farsi, modifying words follow the noun they modify (ex. the phrase for "my name" is 'Esme man", literally "name of me"). Likewise, the phrase for Mughal World would be the word for world (Alam, in this case), ending with an ezaffah (transliterated into the suffix -i), and then the word for Mughal, which is apparently "Gurkan" or "Gurkani".

The result is the phrase "Alami Gurkan(i)".

I'm sorry if I'm being a stickler, again, just offering what assistance I can.

OK. That makes sense. I did wonder which way round the words went, and if there were any modifiers to them.

Now I just need to think about whether I want to go to the non-trivial effort of going through the whole thing and changing it to be 'Alami Gurkan' or whatever... :confused:

Last edited:
It's true! At last...

By the way if anyone who speaks more Farsi than me (i.e. any!) can correct my translations in the ATL I would be most grateful (e.g. is Gurkani Alam really Farsi for Mughal World?)...

This is incredibly late...but I believe Alam means universe, and Jahan means world.

This is incredibly late...but I believe Alam means universe, and Jahan means world.

There was not so much a difference before Copernicus was known in that parte of the world, though some hinted about several "alamha" existing.
In Arabic there is a difference between "Dunya", meaning only the material world, ("this lowly world") and "Alam" meaning the world in its entirety. The Qur'an makes reference to the "Alamayn" "two worlds" usually meaning the material world and the hereafter.
I think that "Jahan" is closer to meaning of the Greek "oikumene" but i'm not sure.

I say so because Jahangir means world conqueror, and the term Jahanpanah means refuge of the world, which is why I inferred Jahan to be the correct term for world.