The Death of Göring and the Victory of the Luftwaffe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part III

Iberian Intermezzo
Great nations built from the bones of the dead,
With mud and straw, blood and sweat,
You know your worth when your enemies
Praise your architecture of destruction!

- Megadeath, Architecture of Destruction.

I’m a product
Of my enviroment
So don’t blame me, I just work here.

- The Offspring, Americana.

In the summer of 1936, the Spanish military, the Guardia Civil and the Falange Movement rose in revolt against the Republican Government in Spanish North Africa and in Spain itself. The Nationalists, as the revolters called themselves, succeeded in seizing power in Morocco, Navarre, Galicia, Castile and Seville, but failed in several of the larger cities such as Barcelona and Madrid.

On Hitler’s explicit order the Lufwaffe sent the Nationalists some 20 fighter aircraft and later German Junkers 52’s were used to ferry over 15,000 Nationalist troops from the Spanish posessions in North Africa to mainland Spain.

Hitler soon decided that indirect and material aid alone would not be sufficient to help Generalissimo Francisco Franco’s Nationalists defeat the apparently more popular Republicans, so in September, 1936, Oberstleutnant – Lt. Colonel – Walther Warlimont was sent to Spain to have a look at the situation and act as military adviser to the Generalissimo. The following month Warlimont suggested that a German expeditionary force be sent to Spain and thus the idea of the Hermann Göring Legion was born.

Most of the senior officers in OKL in Berlin saw the possibilities in getting some valuable first hand experience of modern day air warfare, but they had to consider the flip side too, added costs and most likely deaths among the pilots and air crews. Hitler, however, soon solved their dilemma by ordering the formation of the Hermann Göring Legion as the Soviet Union began to supply the Republicans with aircrafts and tanks in the winter of ´36. Hitler was further annoyed by the appeareance of the International Brigades or Red Mercenaris as he called the Republican volunteer units.

The Hermann Göring Legion, under the command of Air Generals Ernst Udet, the C-in-C and Wolfram von Richthofen, the Chief of Staff, was soon deployed to Spain. The HG Legion was placed directly under Generalissimo Franco’s command and was in the early days of the conflict used as a crack formation where the fighting was hardest and most desperate.
The Legion initially consisted of a Bomber Group of three squadrons of Ju-52 bombers, a Fighter Group with three squadrons of He-51 fighters, a Reconnaissance Group with two squadrons of He-99 and He-70 reconnaissance bombers and finally a Seaplane Squadron of He-59 and He-60 floatplanes. As the Luftwaffe began to recieve their newer planes, such as the Me-109’s, He-111’s and Ju-87’s, the Legion was heavily reinforced and became an extremely capable and dangerous warmachine.

The OKL did its outmost to insure that as many air crews and other personel as possible were rotated into and out of the conflict in Spain and furthermore made sure to shift experienced pilots through the ever expanding training organisation, so the Luftwaffe front units always had rested and veteran pilots available and the trainees got the advanatge of instructors who actually knew what they were talking about! A side-effect of this was an increase in idiosyncratic and chivalrous behavior as trainees and new pilots took their cue from people like Udet, Galland, von Richthofen, Rudel and Mölders. As Reichsluftminister Milch once noted after having visted Adolf Galland’s fighter squadron, JG-26, after its retur from Spain; “It was not a disciplined combat unit, it was a flying circus with American cartoons painted on every aircraft and pilots wearing clothing more suited for stage actors!†Nonetheless, when the War broke out for real in 1939, most Luftwaffe air crews were not only very well trained and led, but also to a large extend veterans.

The HG Legion participated in all the major engagements in the Spanish Civil War, including of course Guernica. At Guernica the Legion showed the world how truly devastating and inhumane modern air warfare could be. In many capitals around the world the near annihilation of the sleepy Spanish town gave the various air force experts a somewhat inflated idea of airpower. The officers at OKL, however, drew a slightly different conclusion; bombers were more vulnerable than first expected and the original decision to concentrate on gaining air superiority first and foremost was the right one.

In April 1939, an official of the German Economic Policy Department, trying to reckon what Germany had spent on help to Generalissimo Franco up to that date, gave a round figure of five hundred million Reichsmarks, not a large sum by comparison with the amounts spent on re-armament in geneal. The advantages Germany secured in return were disproportionate as valuable raw materials flowed from the Spanish mines to the Third Reich’s ever hungry industries and the Wehrmacht got both training and the opportunity to test new equipment, tactics and doctrines under battle conditions.

A total of 20,000 soldiers from Luftwaffe served in the Iberian Intermezzo as, the Spanish Civil War would be known as among the Legionaires, of which some 300 lost their lives. The Legion lost 72 aircraft to enemy action and lost 160 in various accidents. The HG Legion's aircrafts dropped nearly 9 tonnes of bombs and expended in excess of 4 million rounds af small caliber ammunition during the conflict.

LordArpad said:
So how was the He 178 perceived then? And how did the Navy develop? Graf Zeppelin would likely be finished on time, right?
Again, I don't think we'll see much of jets, Arpad, but I'm not entirely sure! Would a resource poor, so to say, Luftwaffe spent its "meager" funding on jets, rockets and what have we?

I'm currently woking on the relationship between Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine. That and stuff about the two propossed carriers (A and B) will be around in a post or two!

Brilliantlight said:
I think it is quite likely it ends up worse as volume itself not only gives you more numbers but often shows you what can go wrong.
Oh, yes, but the numbers of planes will most likely be more or less what it was OTL, the composition will, however, be different as fx the Me-111 never entered service and the fighters are more nummerous!

LordArpad said:
into where? with a well-led Luftwaffe with heavy bombers the Battle of Britain would likely not have been lost. Where would the US base it's planes?
Good point, Arpad!

Regards and all!

- B.

Part IV

The build-up
With your military mind you were born a leader
And discipline and order is an everyday procedure
So bring out the man in every innocent boy
And theach them how to search and destroy
To protect and to serve and to die with honour and pride!

- Claw Finger, Power.

The joy of violent movement
Pulls you under

- Metallica, 2x4.

The two economic ministers, Schacht and Funk, feared that the excessive German military spending of the last years would cause inflation and economic chaos in Germany as money was pured into the Wehrmacht at a rate that not only drained the Reichsbanks reserves, but indepted the country quite deeply. Furthermore the powerfull Schacht generally disapproved of Hitler's furture aims as stated by himself several times since ‘33; war and the expansion of the Reich by the force or arms.
Still, the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe increased in size and power even in face of Schacht stiff oppostion. In the autumn of 1937, Hitler, prodded by Bormann, battered Schacht into approving Luftwaffe and the Reichsluftministry’s budget of a little under 3 billion Reichsmark for the following year. Funding alone, however, was not the only problem plagueing Milch and Wever at this time. Shortages of much needed raw materials had become increasingly apparent as The Third Reich’s economy and its armed forces grew, especially as not only the services within the Wehrmacht itself, but also several civilian agencies competed for copper, steel, iron and other vital, but scarce resources. In the early Summer of 1938, Hitler was warned that there would have to be a significant reduction in the Wehrmacht’s rate of re-armament and expansion as the stock of said resources were virtually used up. That, of course, affected the Luftwaffe as well, but Milch put the slowing tempi to good use as he made sevtral factories re-tool and upgrade their production lines to more modern designs instead of the older designs made so far.

As production slowed down for now, OKL and Milch in the Reichsluftministry decided it was time to look for a fighter design to supplement and eventually replace the Me-109. Early in the War, the Me-109’s of the E series completely outclassed the Polish PZL, French Morane-Saulnier MS 406 and British Hawker Hurricane fighters, but both Milch and the officers in charge of the Luftwaffe knew that even if the war - as everyone now knew was coming - would be short and sweet, then the Luftwaffe would hopefully exist for many years to come so the future had to be planned carefully and a head of time, so to say. The technical director of Focke Wulf Flugzeugbau, Kurt Tank, was chosen to lead the development of the new fighter. The FW-190 flew for the first time on 10th of May, 1939, and would be operational in late 1940, and complete replacing the Me-109’s of the G and F series in mid-1941. Its speed, ease of handling and massive firepower - the FW-190 was armed with 4 machine-guns and two 20 mm cannons – would make it the best German fighter of the war, until another Tank-design showed itself in late ’44.

Still, Milch was advised by Bormann’s Four Year plan office that the raw materials deficit was so serious, that the production programme might be set back with as much as five years, but in spite of these set backs, the Luftwaffe itself had been made into a formidable macine of war by september 1939. Over 2,300 aircraft were deployed, including some 700 medium and heavy bombers, against the Allies. Not only was the Luftwaffe an impressive force on paper, but also an experienced fighting force in reality, unlike those of the Poles, French and English they would soon face, as many Luftwaffe pilots had already gained wartime experience as part of the Hermann Göring Legion fighting in the Iberian intermezzo or at least had been trained by veterans as the OKL kept rotating combat veterans through Luftwaffe’s large, well-oiled training organisation. As Wever said at the time: “Train hard, fight smart and live to tell about it!â€

With Göring gone the empire building days of the Luftwaffe was over and Wever and Milch agreed wiht Grand Admiral Raeder, the naval chief, that the Kriegsmarine ought to have its own air arm consisting of specialized planes for naval warfare. When war broke out in 1939 the German Navy had a few squadrones of Hs-59B-2 torpedo bombers, FW-200 Condor naval bombers and long range reconnaissance planes.
As Luftwaffe already possed a good training organization it was decided that air crews should receive basic training under Luftwaffe’s aegis and then specialized training under the Kriegmarine’s supervison. Milch, being a businessman to his core, made the Kriegmarine pay for their pilots and then some. Later the same technic would be used on the Army as they demanded, and got, pilots for their observation and personal transport planes, forward observers and ground-to-air liaison officers.
Work on two aircraft carriers had also begun in the late 1936, as Raeder had proposed that two aircraft carriers be laid down as part of Plan Z. At Fieseler Werke and Deutsche Werke constrction began and the ships were launched within a week of each other in December ‘38. As mentioned a severe lack of various vital resource were plagueing the German industry at the time, so Raeder had to halt constructiuon on two destroyers and some smaller coastal submarines to get approval from Schacht, Funk and Borman for the two projected carriers – A and B. These carriers were to be equipped with specialized carrier-based versions of the Me-109 fighter and the Ju-87 dive-bomber. Carrier A was named Hermann Göring on its launch and Carrier B was named Peter Strasser. Both ships were planned to enter service in 1941 and had a displacement of 23,000 tonnes and an aircraft complement of 42 Me-109TT fighters and Ju-87CC dive bombers. Later it was planned that specially designed planes should replace the two designs.

Excellent, keep it coming!

Oh and BTW didn't Fieseler have a torpedo bomber which was designed as an equal to the Swordfish

And speaking of the British wouldn't the launching of 2 German aircraft carriers worry them somewhat? Perhaps we would see some better FAA fighters developed?

Fearless Leader said:
Excellent, keep it coming!
Thank you, FL! Will do! I have most of the ATL up until and including the BoB, but I need to clean it up a bit! :)

Fearless Leader said:
Oh and BTW didn't Fieseler have a torpedo bomber which was designed as an equal to the Swordfish
Quite right! I actually didn't know about it until I read your post! Thanks for pointing me to it! Will incorporate it into the ATL!

Fearless Leader said:
And speaking of the British wouldn't the launching of 2 German aircraft carriers worry them somewhat? Perhaps we would see some better FAA fighters developed?
Well, the ships were planned and the first one launched in OTL, so I'm not really sure how the Brits would react in this ATL. I think they'll be somewhat less "scared" of the Luftwaffe, as it have fewer bombers, but not so much as to matter. What's your take, FL?

Best regards and all!

- B.

Well the only real result I can see of the Germans actually completing their two aircraft carriers would be the FAA getting better fighters earlier. The FAA never really gained parity to the RAF until late in the war. Perhaps the FAA gets more resources than in OTL leading to better planes...

excellent timeline dude, keep it flowin :)

just one question though, if you want to build a whole another aircraft carrier, wouldnt that have to come at the cost of not just a couple of destroyers, but also bigger warships...like the scarnhorst or gneisenau...

just one question though, if you want to build a whole another aircraft carrier, wouldnt that have to come at the cost of not just a couple of destroyers, but also bigger warships...like the scarnhorst or gneisenau...
No. In OTL the german navy had two carriers under construction at the start of WW2. TheGraf Zeppelin was around 85% complete and if it wasn't for the outbreak of war would have been completed in 1940, but due to delays, cancellation and attempts at restarting the program the vessel remained incomplete.

Part V

And so it begins
Power is a war but to you it’s just a game
Power is glory, power is gold
Power is chaos and you’r out of control
Power isn’t freedom, power is a cage
Power is your sin and it feeds my rage!

- Claw Finger, Power.

Born from the dark,
in the black cloak of night
to envelop its prey below,
deliver to the light.

To eliminate your enemy,
hit them in their sleep,
and when all is won and lost,
the spoils of war are yours to keep!

- Megadeath, Architecture of Aggression.

On the 1st of September, 1939, the armed forces of Hitler’s Third Reich initiated Fall Weiss – Plan White – and begun an undeclared war with Poland as German Army Groups crossed the border. Thus started what was to be known as the Second World War. Seen in retrospective the Great War of 1914-18 wasn’t so great anymore as the entire world would soon erupt into flames and happily let itself get consumed in total war for some 8 years.

In the early morning of the 1st Lufwaffe launched massive concentrated strikes on the Polish air bases, communications and transportation hubs and army assembly areas. The actions of the Luftwaffe insued a certain amount of success. Eventhough it didn’t destroy the Wojska Lotnicze i
Obrony Powietrznej - Polish Air Force –, or WLOP, on the ground, it nonetheless decimated the Polish air units and wrecked havoc on its ability to counter the swarms of German fighters and bombers who waged war on Poland from above.

At the beginning of Fall Weiss the Luftwaffe was a truly formidable and well-oiled machine of war. Its basic strength was some 350,000 men, of which some 200,000 were in the air force itself, 90,000 were in the FlaK units and 60,000 were in the air signals units. Luftwaffe had a strength of just below 4,000 operational aircraft, including some 2,300 frontline units - 700 medium and heavy bombers and nearly 1,500 fighters - and some 500 transport aircrafts - mostly the venerable and tried 3-engined Junkers Ju-52.
In comparison the Polish Air Force numbered about 900 aircraft of all types, most of which were obsolete. All of the Polish fighters, however, were of a relative modern design and made in Warsaw by a state-owned company called the PZL – short for Polish Air Works. The Polish Air Force was under the direct control of the Polish Army and mostly limited to ground support missions, which would harm it when faced with the air-to-air combat trained Luftwaffe pilots. The Polish pilots were well-trained and got the most out of their aircrafts, but could not overcome the size, skill and determination af Wever and Milch’s Luftwaffe.
Eventhough Milch saw the Luftwaffe’s very vertical organization in four separate territorial commands, based on the Flutflottes, as a inbuild weakness – he apparently would have liked a system closer to that of the British with a horizontal organization, with commands for fighters, bombers, air defense and ground observers - the system nonetheless worked. The organization got somewhat cumbersome when used to project power beyond the borders of the Third Reich, but the versatility, skill and adaptability of Luftwaffe’s personel at all levels more than made up for this. Furthermore the increased coordination wihtin the Wehrmacht between Army, Navy and Air Force gave the German military an invaluable edge when combat was finally joined and the war started.

Luftflotte – Air fleet – 1 under Air General Udet went into action in support of Colonel General Fedor von Bock’s Army Group North as it blitzed its way through the Polish Corridor to Danzig. Air General Löhr’s Luftflotte 4 struk out in support of Colonel General Gerd von Rundtstedt’s Army Group South as it moved out from its postions in Silesia, Moravia and Slowakia.
All the Poles could do was to pray to the All Mighty, that the Western Powers would help them. Sill, no-one in Warszaw truly believed or trusted that the leader of the western powers, the British PM, Neville Chamberlain - the very same man who had prevented a Polish mobilizaton -, would rise to the challenge, and events proved them right. The British and French did, however, declare war on Germany on the 3rd of September, but not much more. After 22 days of fighting it was all but over for the Poles.

The Fall Weiss-campaign had lasted less than two months and ended in the fourth partition of Poland. Luftwaffe had suffered the loses of some 280 aircrafts and 330 airmen of which some 100 were only lost, not killed, and used over half its stores of munitions, but compared with the Army’s losses, however, the Luftwaffe’s casualties were very low. The Army’s losses were surprisingly heavy, especially considering how brief the battle for Poland had been. German casualties total some 48,000 of which 16,000 were killed. Fully one quarter of the panzers the German committed to battle were lost.
It was far from an easy, nor cheap victory, but it did confirm to the commanders of the Luftwaffe that the German air force was extremely capable and a lot better than any other air force in the world. Soon the units began to deploy west…

As you might have deducted from the name of the thread, I kinda assumes the Luftwaffe without Göring will be a war winning tool, at least on the Western Front!

Now, what I'm having some difficulty with is the post-war peace settlement. What kind of terms would the Germans demand of a defeated Britain (and Western Powers) in the autumn of 1940? And by defeated I mean a destroyed RAF and a seriously mauled RN, not an invasion or any such thing.

Would France regain its total independence?

What would Italy and Spain gain?

More importantly, would Hitler "force" the British to depart wiht parts of their Empire? Or Navy?

I can see somthing like Italy gaining Tunesia, Djibouti and perhaps Corsica from the French and British Somaliland from the British.
Malta and Cyprus are demilitarized and the Suez is opened for all Axis shipping no matter what.
There's a plebiscite in Gibraltar - probably the best Hitler can, and will, do for Franco!
Germany gain the right for some naval bases in France, St-Naizire(?) fx., some indemnities are to be paid and a few restrictions on the size of the French armoured and mechanized formations and air force, but not much more...
What about Belgian and Holland? Border adjustments? Norway? The right to use Trondheim as a base? Denmark is more or less eaten up by the Recih or?

Thanks for the comments so far!

Best regardrs!

- Mr.B.

Well Hitler did really respect the British and so I can't really see him putting much more on them than you've outlined above...

As for France I see a restriction on their armed forces and the installation of a very pro-german gov't. Not to mention the return of all of Aslacce-Lorraine to direct German control. Germany would also probably have rights to the French Bases like you said.

Norway would be in effect reduced to a Nazi Sattelite with perhaps Quisling in control. And the Nazi's retaining some bases in Norway at Trondheim etc.

Netherlands and Belgium would most likely in my mind be reduced to Nazi sattelites at best, losing all their colonies to the British Empire perhaps? Denmark would probably suffer the same fate as these countries...

Hope this helped...

Netherlands and Belgium would most likely in my mind be reduced to Nazi sattelites at best,

Not to be super Cynical of something, but I can see France gaining some of the south Belgium in the whole deal, as a consilation prize.

?What happens in Finland?

?And how does a defeated Britian & France see Russia's attack on Poland & Finland. ?A Pox on both of you?? And what happens in the pacific with French and Britian v Japan?

Part VI

A troubled Empire
London calling to the faraway towns
Now that war is declared-and battle come down
London calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard, all you boys and girls
London calling, now don't look at us
All that phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust
London calling, see we ain't got no swing
'Cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

- The Clash, London Calling.

I’m diggin’ my way to something better
I’m sowing the seeds I take for granted
This thorn in my side is from the tree I’ve planted
It tears me and I bleed

- Metallica, Bleeding Me.

One might argue that the inevitability of another Great War lies more with the British than with the Germans. On the 28th of May, 1937, Neville Chamberlain became Prime Minister of Britain and headed a Conservative government that more than anything else became synonomous with the foreign policy that later became known as Appeasement. Hitler was no doubt a man driven be insane urgins, but Chamberlain was the man who could have stopped him – instead he would be the man who sold the world, quite literally.

Between 1937 and 1939, Chamberlain and his supporters in the Cabinet and in the Conservative Party felt that Germany had been badly treated by the Ententé in the aftermacth of the Great War – later to be known as World War I. Chamberlain therefore thought that the German government had genuine grievances and that these needed to be addressed and rectified. The British Government therefore agreed to most of the German territorial demands and thus spurred Hitler on…
Furthermore Chamberlain apparently thought, or believed, that the All Mighthy had given him his position, so that he could lead the world into an age of peace and all that. The fact that Chamberlain failed so misserably is naturrally in part due to the naked ambitions of Hitler, but there can be little doubt that Chamberlain and his peaceniks in the Government messed up royally so to speak. They tackled their foreign policy in a way that led to catastrophe.

Very few disagreed with Chamberlain, however, besides a marginalized Winston Churchill and Anthony Eden. Eden was at the time one of the few Conservatives who was opposed to Appeasement. Eden served as Chamberlain's Foreign Secretary for a while, but resigned in February, 1938, on the grounds of the Appeasement policy towards Hitler and the various other dicatators popping up all over the world. Unfortunately Eden was replaced by Edward Wood - Lord Halifax -, who was totally committed to the policy of Appeasement, and had a rather good relationship with the German government – perhaps a little to good. After his visit to Germany in November, 1937, Halifax, apparently was more than impressed by the visit. Halifax recorded in his diary at the time: "Although there was much in the Nazi system that profoundly offended British opinion, I was not blind to what he (Hitler) had done for Germany, and to the achievement from his point of view of keeping Communism out of his country!"

Between 1936 and the outbreak of the war in 1939, Britain and several other nations were nonethelss beginning to consider the possibility of a coming war more seriously. The apparent rise of Fascism and other forms of dictatorship worried the so called Western Powers immensely. And Hitler and Mussolini’s obvious help to Generalissimo Francisco Franco’s Spanish Nationalists was another cause of great concern, which Stalin’s help to the Communist elements among the Republicans’s also were. Finally in March, 1939, Appeasement collapsed as the German Army seized the rump state of Czechoslowakia, eventouhg Hitler had declared his territorial ambitions satisfied at the Münich Conference. Now even Chamberlain and Halifax realized that Hitler could not be trusted and that Britain must prepare for war in ernest.

In early 1938, it was clear that the British re-armament programme was lagging behind that of Germany. Especially in regards to aircraft production and design. Churchill and, strangely enough, many Labour politicians were very critical of the Air Ministry. Again the blame lands squarely on Chamberlain’s shoulder as he insisted that re-armament should not interfere negatively with the normal economical situation. Lord Swinton, the Secretary of State for Air, could not in good faith accept the constraints placed on his ministry and resigned on the 16th of May, 1938. Lord Swinton was replaced by Sir Kingsley Wood. Wood was a lawyer who, by his own admission, “did not know one end of an aircraft from another!â€

Still, the British government grew increasingly concerned about the strenght of the German Air Force, and in 1938 Vice Air Marshal Charles Portal, Director of Organization at the Air Ministry, was given the responsibility of beefing up the RAF and prepare it for war. Furthermore Air Marshal Hugh Dowding took command of Fighter Command. Dowding argued, that the Air Ministry should concentrate on development of aircraft for the defence of Britain rather than producing a fleet of basically useless bombers. A huge row ensued as Dowding pushed for an increase in Fighter Command funding by some 18%. Dowding’s propossal was sumarily dimissed as Bomber Command were proritized. The reason for this was actually quite logic, at least at the time, with a Luftwaffe made up mostly of fighters, why would Britain waste resources on fighters, when the threat to bombers were increasing? Many senior officials in th Air Ministry and in the RAF itself, believed that the air war should and must be waged offensively, and since the Germans were strenghtening their defenses, so must the RAF build even more bombers to overcome said defenses.

In September, 1939, Bomber Command consisted of 70 squadrons, some 1,170 aircraft - out of which about half were suitable for long-range operations. Fighter Command had 30 squadrons - some 460 aircraft. Besdie that the RAF had a measely 96 reconnaissance aircraft and a few hundreds other planes, trainers, transports and the like.

Fearless Leader said:
Well Hitler did really respect the British and so I can't really see him putting much more on them than you've outlined above. (...) Hope this helped...
Indeed it did! Thanks for the feedback, FL!

DuQuense said:
Not to be super Cynical of something, but I can see France gaining some of the south Belgium in the whole deal, as a consilation prize.
Hmm, yeah, that might actually happen. But wouldn't that make France a bit to strong in the Germans eyes? The rest of Belgium and the Low Countries merged into one Nazi state under DeGrelle?! The Belgian Colonies to Britain, France and Italy?

DuQuense said:
?What happens in Finland??
I gather that Stalin would be even more paranoid in this ATL! Germany had just beaten not only France, but Britain as well in less than a year. An invasion of Finland and other strategic places might happen earlier?

DuQuense said:
?And how does a defeated Britian & France see Russia's attack on Poland & Finland. (...) And what happens in the pacific with French and Britian v Japan?
Well, the public and political opinion in regards to the Soviets will probably rely on whether or not the people resent Germany or their own leaders for their defeat. Do they resent Germany, then the Soviet Union, and Communism, will be a light of hope in the dark, otherwise the various Fascist movements will gain prominency, and the Soviets will be seen as the bad guys.
I can see the pacific defenses of both France and Britain getting boosted quite a bit in this ATL. Basically, the Japanese are in dire straits, I'd say!

Kalvan and Redbeard, any comments?

Best regards!

- Bluenote.

LordArpad said:
into where? with a well-led Luftwaffe with heavy bombers the Battle of Britain would likely not have been lost. Where would the US base it's planes?

Ireland? Scotland?

Torqumada

Good installment! I look forward to the next one...

As for the RAF here are 2 ideas...

1) Due to the increased buildup of German 4-engined bombers, Britian would probably be developing bombers which could strike easily at Germany from Britian. Perhaps we would see the Short Stirling or some analog come along sooner to equip the British bomber squadron

2) Also I doubt we would see a Spitfire in this TL. With the RAF concentrating on bombers Hurricanes would be seen as sufficient for defense of the mainland. Also perhaps more work is being put into a long range fighter. Or perhaps a project much like the Japanese Zero is taking place with the FAA and the RAF cooperating to make some sort of super-fighter...

Keep up the good work...

Battle of the Sea and Air

Battle of the Sea and Air
Laurels, human triumph, bestowments from the past
Victories don’t mean a thing if they don’t last
We are just marching towards extinction with blinders on our eyes
Jeopardizing everything we’ve lerned and come to realize
You call that wise?

- Bad Religion, New America.

Even on the waves there is fighting
Where fish and flesh are woven into sea
One stabs the lance while in the army
Another throws it into the ocean

Ahoy

Arise, arise seaman arise
Each does it in his own way
One thrusts the spear into a man
Another then into the fish

- Rammstein, Reise, Reise.

The Kriegsmarine had taken to the idea of a naval airforce with great entusiasm. And with good reason as the naval aviators of the Kriegmarine already had proven their worth duirng Fall Weiss.

Not surprisingly, the Kriegsmarine, or more presisely Operation Group East, had held an overwhelming superiority over their opponents in the Polish Navy, but both out of fear of mines and an eagerness to see their new air units in action, the OKM had decided to let the cocky young naval aviators of the Kriegmarine’s Luftstreitkräfte Kommando, KLK, lead the onslaught. On the 1st of September, the first opeartional squadrones of the KLK, three in all, attacked the still moored ships of the Polihs navy at its primary anchorage at Oksywie near Gdyna. The new second generation Fieseler Fi-167 torpedo bombers and some Ju-87 dive bombers (on extended loan fra OKL) had sunk two destroyers, the Grom and Bіyskawica, the minelayer Gryf and several minesweepers despite heavy anti-aircraft fire from both ships and land. Furthermore a pair of FW-200 Condor naval bombers had sunk two Polish submarines, the Orzeі and Ryd as they tried to escape the Baltic.

With these victories under its belt, the Kriegmarine not only helped finance the various training programmes of the Luftwaffe – as mentioned earlier basic pilot and aircrew training were under Luftwaffe’s aegis, and then specialized training would follow under the auspice of the Kriegsmarine -, but they also shared the burden of research and development with the Air Ministry and Luftwaffe itself. Two of the main areas of cooperation was heleicopters and RADAR.

All the way back in 1937, the OKM - the Kriegsmarine’s High Command - had considered making use of the emerging new type of aircraft and as the war began to loom ever closer, the OKM made a request for a naval helicopter capable of operating from its major surface vessels.

Several German inventors, among them most notably, Doktor Heinrich Focke and Anton Flettner, had been working on some rather sophisticated and promissing designs for a while. Especially Dr. Focke’s helicopter – the Fw-61 - got a lot of attention from both the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe after several succesfull demonstrations in 1938 – one were Germany's much celebrated aviatrix, Hanna Reitsch, had flown the little machine inside the Deutsch-landhalle Sports Stadium in Berlin. In mid-1939 a testpilot, Kurt Beck, actually flew one of the new Focke-Achgelis Fa-223 Drache - Dragon -prototypes from a platform mounted on the KM Lützow – a pocket battleship of the Deutschland class.

After the successful conclusion to the Polish campaign, the Air Ministry, the OKM and OKL pooled their somewhat meager resources in an effort to develop and built a series of usefull prototypes for further evaluation and use by all three services of the Wehrmach. The Heer had shown some interest as well in these new machines, and the ever resource and money strapped Milch had been quick to include the Heer in the project. The project ended up under the daily control of Air Generals Felmy and Student. The energetic and visionary Student already seemed to have an use in mind for the helicopters…

The first real helicopter, the Focke-Achgelis Fa-223 Drache, was an extremely advanced design with impressive capabilities for its time. The Fa-223 was fundamentally an extension of the concept which had produced the smaller Fw-61 and employed a generally similar arrangement of twin counter-rotating rotors mounted on outriggers from the main airframe and driven by a fuselage-mounted radial engine. In the case of the Fa-223, however, the engine was installed amidships in the fabric-covered steel-tube fuselage to the rear of the 4-seat passenger compartment. The forward part of the cabin was a multiple-panelled enclosure made up of flat Plexiglas panels, and the aircraft was fitted with a tricycle undercarriage.

Soon, after having consulted with Air General Student, and the OKL, a more radical design was proposed; the Fa-284. Focke-Achgelis would produce a 4-rotor helicopter by joining two outrigger engines together in tandem with central fuselage centre-section. The large so-called heli-crane would be powered by two 2000hp BMW engines - that were synchronized which mat that the Fa-284 could work on one engine alone - and capable of lifting a payload of some 7 tonnes and was therefore able to haul such loads as armored vehicles and trucks… or 24 fully armed paratroopers form Student's elité combat units, the Fallschrimsjägers.

The most capable German helicopter developed during this period would , howevere, be the Unterseeboot Jaeger Fl-41 Grief - Griffin. At the end of 1940, it became apparent to the leadership of the Kriegsmarine, that the helicopters in the Navy's inventory – primarily the Fa-223 Drache and the lighter FW.61- were not of the size to accomplish anti-submarine warfare (ASW) missions. The Kriegsmarine’s own FW.61 was too small and the Lufwaffe and Heer’s Fa-284 on the contrary was far to large. Thus in late 1940, the Kriegsmarine began to look around for a new heavy helicopter to be designed specifically for the ASW role. In early 1941, Anton Flettner and his design bureau was awarded a contract calling for the building of three prototypes of Unterseeboot Jaeger Fl-41 Grief. The heavy, rather cumbersome machine used Flettners patented counter-rotating, intermeshing twin rotors in a tandem-rotor layout each drievn by twin-engines with an inertia damping system to reduce the shake of the control stick.

The three UJ Fl-41 Greif’s in the original contract were extensively tested on the deck of a cruiser with such encouraging results that work was speeded up and a series of 24 were ordered.
The Fl-41 Grief was powered by 2,400hp BMW 332A engines installed in the centre fuselage. The Greif had a flight endurance of nearly three hours. Armament was intended to include torpedoes, dept bombes, air-to-surface missiles as well as a dipping hydronphone – later sonar. Furthermore later variants of the Fl-41 Grief was equipped with a autopilot – developed at Peenemünde - which permitted motionless hovering for long periods. With a crew of four, comprising a pilot, a co-pilot and two hydronphone, later sonar, operators the Fl-41 was then the biggest helicopter to be ordered into production.

Helicopters were as mentioned not the only area of cooperation between the Kriegsmarine and the Air Ministry and Luftwaffe, and seen in retrospect far from the most important one. As air warfare became ever more important to the success of all the branches of the military and to the outcome of a given battle or war, RADAR began to seem like a very appealing subject of debate and research.

In Germany the development of RADAR had started back in the early 30’s in the Kriegsmarine’s Signals Research Division. The man responsible for most of SRD’s research was Doctor Rudolf Kuenhold. Dr. Kuenhold had originally helped develop sonar equipemt for the Kriegsmarine, and felt the same principles could be used in regards to focused beams of radio transmissions.

In March 1934, a radar apperatus using a continuous wave was used to detect a battleship in Kiel harbor. By May 1935, Dr.Kuenhold and his expanded team were working with pulsed radar. The Germans called the new technology FunkMessGeraet (Radio Measuring Device) and soon had a working short wavelength naval radar, Seetakt, in opeartion. In january 1939, the first operational Seetakt-model was installed on the pocket battleship Graf Spee.

While Dr.Kuenhold and his research team focused rather narrowly on short wavelengths, other German scientists with interests in the field believed, that longer wavelengths would be more effective. The result was two parallel lines of RADAR-development, one focused on short wavelengths for naval use, and the other focused on long wavelengths for early warning. The long wavelengths early warning RADAR would be known under the codename Freya, and would soon prove to be the most capable of the two initial RADAR systems.

Before Herman Görins untimely demise, there had been an intense interservice rivalry between all branches of the Wehrmacht. Now more often than not, the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe cooperated in an attempt to save resources, time and money. As a result thereof, OKM invited their colleagues in the Luftwaffe to participate in the further development of RADAR.

Soon OKM’s Dr.Kuenhold worked side by side with OKL’s Wolfgang Martini. Their combined efforts resulted in the very reliable and usefull Heimdal RADAR. Over a 1,000 Heimdal-sets would be built and used by both the Kriegsmarine in coastal defense installations and, more rarely, aboard various warships, and as part of Luftwaffe’s Home Chain integrated air defence system. Furthermore it came to the attention of Wever, Milch and Raeder that Telefunken, a German electronics giant, was working under the direction of Dr. Wilhelm Runge on their own RADAR in early 1939, and had actually built a single, duplexed antenna pulsed radar for gun-laying for the Heer. With the help of their patron, Martin Bormann – who basked in the glory and successes of his clients -, Wever and Milch succeded in getting Telefunken's research put under the control of a department of the Air Ministry, that from then on would lead all research into the field of RADAR (as the minor company Lorenz soon discovered as the entire company suddenly found itself under Milch’s supervision).

A series of RADARS would soon be developed and put into production for a multitude of purposes. The FunkMessGeraet M-series was gun-laying RADARs for both the Heer and the Kriegsmarine – later a model (the FMG M-42 A through F Grugnir) would be used by the Luftwaffe’s FlaK-units as well, FunkMessGeraet Z-series were built for aerial detection use, both stationary and mobile and finally the most groud breaking of all the German RADARs produced during the war, the FunkMessGeraet G-series of airborne early warning and detection RADARs.

Fearless Leader said:
Good installment! I look forward to the next one...
Thank you, and here was the next installment finally! Sorry for the long wait!

Fearless Leader said:
1) Due to the increased buildup of German 4-engined bombers, Britian would probably be developing bombers which could strike easily at Germany from Britian.
Ah, yes, good point, FL! Short Stirling it is then! Hope to give the Brits more attention in a post or two. Next post - Lessons Learned and Choices Made - are also mostly German

Fearless Leader said:
2) Also I doubt we would see a Spitfire in this TL. (...) Also perhaps more work is being put into a long range fighter. Or perhaps a project much like the Japanese Zero is taking place with the FAA and the RAF cooperating to make some sort of super-fighter...
Hmm, yes, that might very well be. Didn't think much about the issue of the Spitfire being developed or not. If it is not, then the Brits will be hammered even more so, than I originally intended...

Thanks or the input, Guys! Hope you enjoyed this installment as well! More will follow...

Best regards!

- Bluenote.

Status
Not open for further replies.