WI: Battle of Dogger Bank 1914?

Saphroneth

Banned
When the superiority in modern capital units and light cruisers is almost 2:1 and until the Harwich Force (which at 6:30 was off Yarmouth, quite a bit away) arrives the superiorty of destroyers/torpedo boats is more than 10:1 I think one safely call it huge local superiority...

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "modern capital units", so I'll have a look...
Ships only those at the Dogger Bank non battle.

(listing broadsides)
British have:

DNs
6 ships with 10 13.5" and 21 knots
BCs
3 ships with 8 13.5" and 28 knots
1 ship with 8 12" guns and 25 knots

Germans have:

BCs
1 ship with 8 11" guns and 28 knots
2 ships with 10 11" guns and 28 knots
1 ship with 8 12" guns and 26 knots
ACs
1 ship with 8 8.3" guns and 25 knots
DNs
6 ships with 10 12" guns and 21 knots
4 ships with 8 12" guns and 21 knots
4 ships with 8 11" guns and 20 knots
PDNs
8 ships with 4 11" guns and 18 knots

So capital ship wise, if you count like:

No PDNs counted
British 10, Germans 19
Which is what I think you were doing.

But that's still counting an AC for the Germans - and some reciprocating-engine ships too.

If "modern" means "any dreadnought" then it's British 10 Germans 18, if it's "Any ship at least as capable as the original Dreadnought" it's British 10 Germans 14.

I'll agree with you on the screen comment, but if you're lumping together HMS King George V and SMS Nassau as being both "modern" then... seems a bit troublesome to me.

(The secondary purpose of this comment was to get a list of what the capital ships were. I hope it helps people.)

Last edited:
Actually, I was counting what would be brought to the battle if it was a full fledged involvement of both sides.

sorry, my list was a bit off ... getting ready for bed at that point and not at my best ...

If it was a meeting battle with what was available when Ingenohl fist met to British destroyers, you would have had the Dreadnoughts and B's of the HSF against Beatty and Warrender, possibly Packenham's Ca's as well, however, Hipper's battle cruisers would have been more to the west, inside the minefields at that time.

Basically I was referring to modern dreadnoughts as anything built after the pre-dreads ... that would include Nassau's , and no, they would not compare well to the Orion/KGV's

I haven't been able to find a clear complete reading of the courses that day, however for the number of TB's that were available, 4 or 6 RN destroyers shouldn't have had the impact they did historically.

.. if a battle had of occurred, I really think it would have been for the most part inconclusive. Beatty might do something stupid, and Warrender wsn't the brightest. However, Ingenohl would have to be wondering where the rest of Jellicoe's ships were, and if a handful of destroyers spooked him, I wondering just how he'd react to a half dozen dreadnoughts with battle cruisers in support. Given the intelligence and scouting technologies available, I'm thinking he probably would have done the same as he did historically.

If Ingenohl chose to pursue the retiring British he would eventually be down to the 6 most modern ships available... the helgolands would be hard pressed to maintain maximum speed for long with their reciprocating machinery, while the Nassau's couldn't match the British ship's speed at all.

The result would be to leave the HSF scattered over a wide area, and still not knowing where Jellicoe was.

The fight, if it happened, would be a 'dine and dash' for the HSF. sink what you can, before the British bug out. Anything that can be slowed will probably be overwhelmed, but I would doubt a complete destruction of the British forces.

One point that should really be taken into consideration from that time point was the orders from the Kaiser regarding preserving the fleet, in combination with the thought that Ingenohl wasn't to be advancing that far north in the first place.

Even considering Beatty and Warrender, I would think that once they figured out they were dealing with the whole HSF, they'd make a very good effort to break off. Now I'm not saying in that scenario they would get away scot free, however a good portion will survive.

the superiority in TB's needs to be off set against the weather, as in the case of Hipper he had detached his TB's early, and on the way home they were reported as well ahead of him. Yes there are an abundance of German TB's , but with the present sea state it would be a challenge for them to get in to an advantageous attack position.

---- to me, the action that was the biggest disappointment was Hipper's later escape. With Warrender and Beatty blocking the northern and central exits, and the 3rd Battle squadron blocking the south, he should have been wrapped up.

imagine ... Hipper vs the 3rd Battle Squadron ....might have been interesting.

The way I read the OP English Canuck is asking about what happened if the Scarborough raid actually resulted in a naval battle. OTL Ingenohls caution (or the Kaisers orders) meant that the two forces did miss each other, but that day the HSF had a huge local superiority the only time (I believe) in the war. The British learned that something was coming, but thought it was only a BC raid. Thus they sent out the 2nd battle squadron, 1st battle cruiser squadron and 3rd cruiser squadron. Screening forces were the 1st light cruiser squadron. The only available reinforcements within reach of a potential battle would have been Harwich force.
And that force would have met most of the HSF in battle. So 14 DNs, 8 PDNs, 4 BCs and 3 ACs against 6 DNs, 4 BCs and 4 ACs. Light forces are also outnumbered on the British side. The difficult part is for the RN forces to be forced to battle. But if Ingenohl had been (allowed to be) more agressive the weaknesses of the British commanders might have allowed just that. Warrender was at times considered to lack initiative of his own and became more and more deaf, Beatty was well Beatty.

A battle, even one where the British fail to disengage without significant losses would not really be decisive, but it would have huge consequences. Leadership on the British side would change. Whether Jellicoe remains after he protested to detach part of his fleet I am not sure. Others would certainly get some of the blame too. Strategy and tactics on the British side likely would also change, but I have no idea how. The German navy might start to become more agressive, to use the temporary position of strenghth, but might suffer losses in turn they can not afford. Unrestricted submarine warfare might not be an issue until later than otl though which would mean better relations wih the US.

Spot on in the OP and what I was looking for :D

Spot on in the OP and what I was looking for :D

Some things to consider

1. At the point in which Warrender sailed into the HSF the German battlecruisers had yet to link up with the HSF.

2. The British Battleships were all armed with 13.5 inch guns.

3. The British fleet was faster than than the Germans.

If the British ships domgive battle its a big German win once the light units get amoung the barely screened British fleet.

If they were not decisive I would imagine a smaller and costlier but still significant German victory.