You must fight for what you keep
If what you keep holds truth inside
Stand up, defend, or lay down and die

Stand up, defend or lay down and die

- P.O.D., Freedom Fighters.

With trouble brewing and open warfare raging all around them, the otherwise quite stubborn and independent minded Greeks saw it wise to secure some sort of backing from one of the Great Powers. First France, the Britain was seen as suitable partner – or more correctly protector -, but as the German warmachine beat the of said countries into pulp and hammered the second into its most massive defeat since the American Revolution, Mussolini’s Italy seemed more appropriate. The Greek government under the Mussolini-like Metaxas felt the growing German and rather ham-fisted diplomatic pressue on the region,and as with Hungary found it best to seek Italian aid – the lesser of two evils for sure. There was price to pay, however.

The Italo-Greek relationship was actually rather good, both countries being ruled by Strongmen with and all. And eventhough the Italian government wanted nothing more than to expand and increase its influnce in the Aegean Sea - Mussolini was rather keen on establishing naval and air bases on some of the Greek isles there to protect the sea routes to the Italian Dodocanese isles and see the Italian flag hoisted on yet more territory – the tone and mood between to the countries were polite and generally good natured. During the Battle for Britain, the first Italian advisors arrived in Greece, just as the first batch of Italian weapons were sold to the ill-equipped and far from modern Greek Armed Forces – a deal for British Hurricanes had for instance been cancelled due to Britian’s own sudden and desperate need. Several elderly Italian ships and submarines were sold, and in a few cases simply handed over, as well.

At the same time Italian troops occupied the tiny country of Albania with nothing more than the most flimsy of excuses. Apparently, the government og King Zog of Albania had neglected to repay some Italian loans or some such thing – at the time, noone really paid much attention -, and soon the now rather famous and feared Italian Marines backed by paratroops and Bersaglieri units from the elité Celere-divisions landed and swarmed all over the small mountain state. King Zog spend the rest of his life in house arrest in Venezia. After his death, his family were allowed to leave Italy and soon took refuge in Brazil.

Later, after the Paris Peace Accord had been signed and the Italo-British cooperation began to see the light of day, several air and naval bases on the Ionian Islands, plus a larger, mostly logistical base on Crete, were leased to the Regia Aeronauctica and Marina respectively after serious pressure being applied from both London and Rome.

While not too satisfied with the presence of foreign troops on the sacred soil of Mother Greece, the Greeks nonetheless quite happily joined in on the Italian carving-up of Yugoslavia after the German assault on the USSR in the summer of 1941. Greek and Bulgarian troops almost clashed on several occasions during the invasion, and Italian troops had to be used to secure a demilitarized zone between the armies of the two nations for a while. The occupation zones and areas of annexation would only finally be in place in late May, 1942.

With Germany occupied in the USSR, and France consumed with its own problems, real or imagined, Mussolini, allways the gambler, threw the dice and ordered his Legions against Yugoslavia in the summer of ´41. In 1941, the Italian Armed Forces had mostly been re-equipped with modern weaponry and its tactics been polished and updated. The seemingly easy series of German victories had been a real eye opener for Mussolini and the Italian leadership in general, who had initiated a major sweep of the Comando Supremo - Italian High Command - and upper echelons of especially the Regio Esercito – Royal Italian Army -, but also the Regia Marina – ditto Navy. Literally hundreds of senior officers, most actually being generals, suddenly found themselves in defacto retirement in the Colonies. Not only did the new Italian High Command reorganize the Italian divisions, adding a third regiment to the frontline divisions, put they also began to recruit large numbers of NCO’s as in the German army. Led by the resourcefull Marshal Ugo Cavalero, the Comando Supremo and Nuevo Regio Esercito did perform quite well in Yugoslavia - even if the road at times was bumpy and the Italian troops faced adversals. After little more then three months of fighthing, Yugoslavia was no more.

On the 23rd of September, representatives of Yugoslavia's remaining power structure signed an armistice with Italy and its Hungarian, Bulgarian and Greek allies in bombed-out Beograd, thus putting a stop to the fighting that had wrecked the country for some 90 days. More than 60,000 Yugoslavians had died and some 200,000 thousand were taken prisoner. The Italian led coalition had lost some 20,000 men altogether.

After long and hard negotiations, Italy and Germany readjusted their common border, so that most of the former Yugoslsavian region of Slovenia was annexed by Germany and the Italian dominated region known as South Tyrol was seeded to Italy in return.

Seen in retrospect, the hardest duty for the Italian soldiers in the Yugoslavian War was to keep Italy’s allies from initiating further bloodshed and warfare against each other. A problem that only grew with the creation of Croatia and the puppet state of Serbia, which proved extremely unstable to say the very least. In Croatia and Serbia genocidal campaigns soon followed as did severe persecution of political adversaries. Often to a point were Italian troops time and time again had to step in. As the 40’s turned into the 50’s, Serbia slowly collapsed as a state and would in the end play an instrumental role in bringing about the so-called Collapse of Dictatorship.

In Turkey, the Italian and British dealings in the Balkans reinforced Premier Ismet Inönü’s view that Turkey must remain neutral at all costs, eventhough the anti-Soviet element in his cabinet and in Tyrkish politics in general was well-entrenched and quite pronounced. Actually, the Italian involvement in Greece and Germany’s apparently unending succes of arms ensured the pro-German element in Turkey were more prominent, while never dominant, than ever before. Never a nation of gamblers, Turkey steered well clear of getting into a shooting war with the USSR, even as the Germans kept pushing deeper and deeper into the Soviet Union, but did supply strategic raw materials in impressive quatities to Germany during the first years of said war, only to stop as Britain reenters the war in ’44. After the war the former near-allies, Italy and Britain, will use the regional rivalry of Greece and Turkey to keep each other on their toes, so to say, and turn the Eastern Mediterranean and Aegean into a potential warzone for most of the 50’s and early 60’s until the Collapse of Dictatorship.

Meanwhile political instability and popular uprisings played hawock with the former French mandate in Syria and Lebanon. After the defeat at first the hands of the mighty Wehrmacht and then the humiliating defeat at the hands of the much loathed Italians afterwards, France was in no condition to exercise its right to rule in said territories. The deterioating situation led the British to intervene and occupy both Syria and Lebanon in the spring of ´41. In reality, however, it was Commonwealth forces that did most of the hard work as the British themselves had scarely recovered after their own defeat in the Battle of Britain. It is even rumored, that Italian units were used to ensure British success. Something that might hold some truth as the Italian Navy often used Lebanon as a secondary base.

Sorry for the looong delay! :eek: Life just caught up with me, to say the very least!

Anyway, I polished Empires of Fire and Flame, made the Balkan post into two; The Bad Balkan Blues and the Med Medley!

Hope you like it! I'm quite satisfied with the final cut of Empires, and rather happy with the Bad Balkans, but not to sure about the Med Medley, though!

blysas said:
Look I love the way you have done the story but we are waiting for a update, come and post some more. I wan to know what happens to the USSR
Erh, yes, well, Real Life in form of new job, girl friend some light travel and what not have restricted my time quite severly.

And instalmenst regarding the Eastern War should by up some time in the next 5-6 years! :) Nah, just joking - I hope to post an update on British relations within a week, and then on to the Eastern War.

Bismarck said:
Could you please repost all of the sections of the ATL in one piece now to make it easier to read?
Sure, will do! I can see why it's quite a daunting task to shift through all my many updates and small corrections ect ect! :eek: I'll try to get the ATL up in Scenarios after I finish this post!

birdie said:
hello, i've been reading this site for a while now, this is my first post.
great timeline, most people wold just have the germans win and that be it.

I wonder if anyone agrees, but in TTL i think/hope that postwar british society would grasp new technology and new ideas a lot more, since they've just had their behinds handed them. anyone think the same.
Thank you very much, Birdie!

Hehe, well, the Germans don't really win, it's only round one that's won! :)

I think I'll try to make the British more Orwellian and more advanced technology-wise. Britain, or so is my vision, will be a cold, vengefull and rather dystopian place only occupied wiht winning back what's lost and smashing Germany into the dust...

Iñaki said:
I expect that nothing bad or strange has happened with Mr Bluenote. :(
Thanks for you concern, Iñaki, but I'm quite well! As said, I've just been terribly pre-occupied!

Readman said:
Just one thing, I think that maybe the Ju-88 would still be developed, maybe less production but it was fairly succesful and ended up being a good night-fighter
Oh, the Schnellbomber is in full production and even more formidable than in OTL!

Thanks for all your comments and concerns!

Best regards and all!

- Bluenote.

M.Passit said:
Glad you're back. This's one of my favorite! Waiting to see what the 'New Britain' will looke like.
Indeed I am! :) And thank you ever so much, Passit!

As stated in the former post, I hope to convey the feeling of 1984 combined with technological advances, the atom bomb, helicopters, combined arms operations etc etc.

Any ideas and comments in that, or any other, regard are most welcome!

- B.

The Return of the King......

looks like a very interesting postwar world...

seems ironically the UK will actually continue to be one of the dominent superpowers postwar in TTL.

btw loved your Brits in Space TL wish it had continued.

Nice update. Welcome back. While I can definitely see a more effective Italy than OTL I am wondering if perhaps they are a little bit too much improved.

birdie said:
The Return of the King......

looks like a very interesting postwar world...

seems ironically the UK will actually continue to be one of the dominent superpowers postwar in TTL.

btw loved your Brits in Space TL wish it had continued.
Wow, high praise indeed! Thank you very much, Birdie!

Being a relentless anglophile, I'm almost certain it would be a much better world had old Britain stayed top dog, so to say! :)

It's funny, you should mention my MoS/Brits in Space-ATL - I've just read it through and wondered whether I should repost it and finish the final installment. Hmm, I think I'll do that at some point! And thanks once again!

Shadow Knight said:
Yeah Bluenote is back and with updates to his awesome TL. :D

We feared you lost man.
Yep, that I am - finally! :eek:

I'm sorry I just kinda quit, but as said, time was very sparse for a while! It's good of you to worry, though! Thansk, SK!

Wendell said:
Bluenote, Southern Tyrol was already in Italian hands by this point IOTL....
Oh, damnation, I wasn't really too sure about that part, I must admit. I just seem to remember some part of, it must have been Austria, that was populated by a large minority, if not a majority, of Italians, and found that Mussolini, as in OTL, would push for their return.

If it wasn't South Tyrol, Wendell, what was it? Do you happen to know?

Tom_B said:
Nice update. Welcome back. While I can definitely see a more effective Italy than OTL I am wondering if perhaps they are a little bit too much improved.
Thanks, Tom!

Yeah, you might be right, but I have always found Italy in WW2 to have underperformed, so... Generally speaking, the Italians had three things going against them 1) Old, dim officers (Badoglio is the stereotype here - so out he goes ASAP, and in comes Cavalero along with a much needed class of NCO's). 2) A small industrial base (hence no big war, but only smaller skirmishes with a weak, and already defeated, France, some colonials and a handfull of chinese). 3) A lost political leadership (here we have Mussolini biding his time, because of his disagreement wiht Hitler over Finland).

And the improvement is nothing compared to my Italia Eterna ATL! ;)

Btw, I tried to post the first and finished parts of the ATL in Timelines and Scenarios - I hope it appears one of following days.

Once again thanks for all your comments, lavish praise and concern, guys!

Best regards!

- Bluenote.

Mr.Bluenote said:
Wow, high praise indeed! Thank you very much, Birdie!

Being a relentless anglophile, I'm almost certain it would be a much better world had old Britain stayed top dog, so to say! :)

It's funny, you should mention my MoS/Brits in Space-ATL - I've just read it through and wondered whether I should repost it and finish the final installment. Hmm, I think I'll do that at some point! And thanks once again!

Yes Please repost the MOS TL!!!!! I was lurking when you did that and am really curious about what the UK itself will be like in that TL, i see it as similar to 2006 OTL but more confident, more immigrants (That TL's commonwealth would rule out OTL's immigration restrictions, defineltly richer, any negatives?) though i think the US and UK would have patched up their differnences when the cold war started, anyway sorry to nitpick and i'll stop hijacking thread.

Poor old Britania - very rough draft!

Poor old Britania
I come old friend from hell tonight
Across the rotting sea
Nor the nails of the cross
Nor the blood of christ
Can bring you help this eve
The dead have come to claim a debt from thee
They stand outside your door
Four score and three
Did you keep a watch for the dead man’s wind
Did you see the woman with the comb in her hand
Wailing away on the wall on the strand
As you danced to the turkish song of the damned

You remember when the ship went down
You left me on the deck
The captain’s corpse jumped up
And threw his arms around my neck
For all these years I’ve had him on my back
This debt cannot be paid with all your jack

And as I sit and talk to you I see your face go white
This shadow hanging over me
Is no trick of the light
The spectre on my back will soon be free
The dead have come to claim a debt from thee

- Pogues, Turkish Song of the Damned.

The flag that I once planted as a King I abandoned
And now I reclaim this banner by God, my sword, and my name
In a truce sealed by blood within this metal skin and all that I own
Blood, bone, and courage in my veins, and the heart that pumps it

Drink from the chalice and be reborn
And the land with me, it will change and transform

A fighting man sworn to the quest it is the doom of man that they forget
I have awoken the dragon and all around me the mist of his breath
Good and evil, there never is on without the other, his brother
Always there where I least expect it, it will burn me to cinders

- Megadeath, My Kingdom Come.

A foreign observer at the Court of St.James in London just after the end of the hostilities with Germany, might have been quite easily fooled into thinking that the Prime Minister, Lord Halifax, was in charge of the situation and everything was just dandy. And while the PM in many ways was a rather cunning politician, he was no Eden, Bevin, Mosley or even Atlee. Furthermore Halifax had just lost a war for the first time since the American Revolution.

It was also deeptly humiliating to see ships under British flag shipping Jews and whomever the Nazis found unwanted to Madagasgar, thus acting as little more than Hitler’s errand boys… and and not even getting paid for it. Furthermore, as part of the Accord, Air General Harris stood trial in Nuremberg for war crimes, and Prime Minister Halifax had to publicly apologize for the bombing of German cities during the brief war.

Ironically enough, it was the lack of severity in the Paris Peace Accord that rubbed many a Briton the wrong way. In many ways it fueled a lust for revenge as many Britons and citizens of both the Empire and Dominions felt deeply humiliated by Germany’s overbearing attitude towards the Empire. It was deeply insulting not being taken serious enough to impose stricter terms.

Another quite severe blow to British pride was the return of many haggard looking and troubled young men from German captivity. Many of these young, and quite a few not so young, men would form the core of revanchists Hardliners, be it Mosleyittes, Ramseyittes og Edenittes. At the same time German prisoners, quite a lot fewer in numbers than their British opposites, and the interned Frecnhmen were returned to their home countries, and in case of the Germans, mostly pilots and air crewes, to a hero’s welcome. Not so for the returning British. The Halifax gorvenment did its best to sweep them under the proverbial rug and pretend the war had never really happened.

In the late part of 1940, many a Briton on all sides of the political spectrum began to wonder whether or not they had called it quits to early…

Thus politically speaking the Kingdom was in dire straits. Still, the Halifax Government hoped rather anxiously for the grey clouds and political storms to pass by soon. It was no to be, though. The British defeat led to renewed Scottish, Welsh and Irish claims for either outright or increased independence
Luckily, the stout British were never ones to turn revolutionary, so dispite intense pressure from both the public and the fragmented Hardliners – MP’s supporitng the Atlee-Bevin-Eden Trojka - and the Progressives – thuse MP’s who prefered to ignore the defeta and focus on the future, basically, the supporters of Chamberlains’s Appeacement policy - amongst both labour and the Conservative party.

There is no better way to observe the Troka’s rise in power than in the early post war years – 1941-43. Under the woobly leadership of Halifax and his socalled Progressive supporters in parliament, Britain had attempted to reconcile herself to Germany and rebuild it relations worldwide, but alas not its honour. Indeed a sore point with most Britons,a nd something men like Ramsay, head of the political and at times violent Veterans Organisation, and Mosley, head of the British Union of Roman Fascists – the term Roman added rather hurridly after the war, was not late in pointing out. The Trojka formed and stuck to a strategy of discrete confrontation wiht the Germans and everybody who dared stand in the way of the emerging New Britain. With growing tension and crisis in the Balkans, Mediterranean, Far East and finally the German invasion of the USSR, the Trojka began preparing for a political takeover. As it were, the three men controlled the War, Foreign and Financial Departments, and had serious pull in others. As seen in the various bushfire wars and counter-insurgency operations, a New Model Army was beginning to take shape; an army suited for this new Britain. An army loyall to those who would let it fight and regain its lost glory.

The Trojka nonetheless kept a rather low profile during the latter part of 1940 and most of ´41. The Czech and Polish minorities fanned the flames as did men like Mosley – now more than even a fan of Mussolini – and social radicals (socialism as such, not to mention Communism, was dead in Britain – the Soviet invasion of Finland and the contineous attempt to bully Romania saw to that) and disgruntled veterans (first among them ex-admiral Ramsay).

Chamberlain’s death gave Primeminister Halifax some much needed breathing space, and he succeded in soldiering on as PM until the Trojka and their supporters, chief among them Mosley and his Roman Fascists in the BURF and Betram Ramsay – the hero of Dunkirk and author of Betrayed -, and his Veterans Organisation finally brought him down in 1943.

The last years under an increasingly unpopular and politically lame Halifax were dark and grim. Not only did British troops crack down on an uprising in Ulster – some say it was more a percieved uprising, meant to focus the publics attention on something other than the severe rationing – and the continued anti-guerilla war in India. During said war Generals Brooke, Slim and Alexander made thier names fighting an extremey efficient and very brutal counter-insurgency war in India and parts of Asia and Africa. In the last battles of the Kenyan campaign, Slim used airmobile columns and both gunships and heavy armed, but accident prone helicopters. Seen in retrospect it was obvious that the New British Army was seen in action here for the first time. Many of the old officers, especially those of the cavalry and famous old regiments, were retired and replaced, much to their, horror by officers of common breed. Rumour has it that an elderly colonel in a colonial regiment nearly had a stroke when he heard a batalion commander in the Welsh Guards curse loudly in cockney.

More seriously were the hints of total disregard for the wellfare of civilians and the utter lack of interest in playing by the rules this new breed of officers and their New British Army showed. In both Asia and Africa whole villages got depopulated either by fire, airborn attacks or gassing (a tactic apparently borrowed from the Italian campaign in Abyssinia in the late 30’s). These actions were sure indicators of how things were going to be once renewed warfare had commenced.

Okay, the above is a very, with emphasis on very and rough, rough draft of the next installment. I feel a bit stuck, or more correctly I feel rather in two minds. For some reason I like Ramsay as a figurehead and leader of a Veteran's group ala the pre-war German Frei Korps, and as Mussolini is the darling of Britain, and its ally, I feel Mosley is in his place as well, but then again... sigh...

Furthermore, I have a bit of a hard time seeing how Britain's internal political arena will form and be populated. Will Churchill make a comback? Is the ideas for Ramsay and Mosley too far out?

Anyway, the language and the story itself is in an early stage and very preliminary in nature, so do comment, criticise and what not...

At some point during the weekend, I'll return to the installment and give it another go!

Thank you all for reading!

Regards!

- mr. B.

Well, there could be a different view between the "Italian' Fascism and "German" Nazism by now. Mosley will make some noise, but I can't see him gain more supporter than he will gain in OTL. Churchill may come back, depending on how public at that time view his advanture in Norway to be, but I can't see him stay long. He's a pro-America and this New Britain will be very anti-America, not to mention a new friendship with Japan, a country that the U.S. are very dislike. He will clash with his own government far too many times over these issues for good, and this New Britain may not want to tolerate him any longer. One thing, I'm start to getting scared by this New Britain and New British Empire.

Wendell said:
That's correct, The Italian Province of Trentino had a German majority before the Second World War.
You are talking of Bolzano province, i.e. the northern portion of Trentino (Trento province) - Alto Adige (Bolzano or Bozen province - Sud Tirol in Austrian maps). The southern portion had an Italian majority, which was beefed up during Fascist period by internal migration; even the Bolzano province was Italianised, in particular in the cities and towns.
In 1939 (or 1940) there was an agreement between Italy and Germany allowing German-speaking residents in Trentino-Alto Adige to opt for german nationality (and to depart). A significant portion of the german-speaking residents opted for germany, and left (then they came back after the end of the war, but that is another story).

Re the Italo-German border I don't see any likely change on the Alps: the existing border is the best one from an Italian POV, since it guarantees the control of the watersheds; Tyrol (i.e. the Austrian province beyond the Brenner pass) is completely German-speaking.

I'd assume that the most likely split might be in Slovenia: northern Slovenia would be annexed by the reich, while southern Slovenia (including Lubjiana) would go to Italy. There is obviously no possibility (in TTL) that the Germans might get a port on the Adriatic.

Welcome back, Mr. Bluenote! I was missing you too

IMO, Churchill is unlikely to make a come back. He'll be blamed for dragging UK in a war that could not be won, and be identified with the "old, feeble" British empire, as opposed to the new one.
Mosley was always mor pro-fascism than pro-nazism; his influence may grow, but it is quite unlikely that he'll become a major player, much less a PM. Still he might be supporting from the outside a "New Britain" ministry.
Which should be the theme in UK elections now and for the future: a new Britain, replacing and improving the old one.

birdie said:
your not the only one:eek:

I agree. If it wasn't that Hitler is still about I would have the feeling I might want Britain to lose the next war it fights.:eek: This is not looking pleasant.

What are the attitudes of the Dominions to the modified Britain? I could see S Africa possibly being favourable, keeping the natives in their place. Australia might go either way depending on whether they think Britain or the US is the best protector from the Japanese. Canada is likely to be more hostile, if only because of its proximity to the US.

Only just come across this thread and read the last few entries. Hence so of the above may be redundant but looking very interesting.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.