No unification. Anne does end up as her father's heir for a very significant period of time and there will be other marriage negotiations for her. The betrothal to the Dauphin will likely not hold, and there will definitely be discussions for a marriage between Anne and young Henry. But other "factors" will prevail.
*slides 50 kronor to you* please?

I have been waiting a while for this chapter! And I think you’ve done poor Kitty justice here :) However, I need to know: Is she reunited with her and Francois’ daughter and allowed to raise her as her own after her downfall as mistress?? I want her to be surrounded by her family
Catherine had no idea, but her husband had been chosen by the Duchess of Plaisance and her inner circle and with great care—someone young, handsome, and with a good name. Having no substantial fortune of his own, Rys agreed to the king’s demand. To make the marriage more palatable to the de Rys family, François decided to provide a dowry of £25,000 disguised as a donation from Catherine’s own family and allowed her to retain all the gifts of clothing and jewelry she had received from the king. The future groom’s anxieties were also soothed with cash—he received £10,000 alone for agreeing to the marriage. The pair were engaged the day following their meeting, and Catherine and Étienne were formally married on April 27, 1546. They were wed in secrecy at the church attached to the Abbey of Saint Geneviève. “On that day, I became Madame de Rys,” Catherine attested in her memoirs. “While there was no love given our forced union, he was kind to me—an excellent first husband and the best I could have wished for.” Anne had succeeded in saving her position—the little mistress was vanquished
An interesting hint at the end here. Kitty will get another husband later on! I am excited to see her reappear again in the future, I must admit

Ottavio di Angoulemme

I thought that ou orthography looked a little strange for Italian and it turns out Angolemme is the more traditional Italian name for Angoulême. The foreignness of his surname is perhaps an interesting hint at the establishment of a new dynasty in Italy- one that seems like it might veer into a Reformist agenda. It’ll be interesting to see how far that’s allowed to go before the pope himself decides to lead an army north.

It’ll be interesting to see if François II finds himself having to support this Protestant Parma to maintain his influence in Italy if Beatriz leads Milan into the Habsburg camp.

Well, I’m happy Catherine Howard isn’t getting the short end of the stick here, even if Anne should probably have considered her strategy of “bring in a new mistress” a bit more carefully.

It is funny for Francois I’s wife and mistress to now basically start battling it out in Italy.

I have been waiting a while for this chapter! And I think you’ve done poor Kitty justice here :) However, I need to know: Is she reunited with her and Francois’ daughter and allowed to raise her as her own after her downfall as mistress?? I want her to be surrounded by her family

An interesting hint at the end here. Kitty will get another husband later on! I am excited to see her reappear again in the future, I must admit
RE: her daughter, unfortunately, no. Legally, the young girl isn’t even her daughter, but rather the daughter of someone who doesn’t even exist. On top of that, she was assigned legal guardians to care for her needs. Given that Francis died scarcely two years later, I’d say the possibility is slim. Once the girl gets a bit older, she’ll likely go into a convent, maybe/maybe not having a suitable marriage arranged later. Given François’ death, it’s likely that the guardians will deal with it—though I suppose they may go cap in hand to the new king to ensure the girl has a proper dowry, I think François II would do that, but I can’t see him playing any role in facilitating any sort of reunion. Anne Boleyn was always his surrogate mother of sorts, so I’m sure he took a dim view of Catherine’s short time at court. She does have children with her first husband.

Indeed, I’m unsure if she will formally reappear in a chapter, but perhaps in a vignette. Sort of like Marguerite de Valois, Catherine is the first woman to formally publish her own memoirs.

I thought that ou orthography looked a little strange for Italian and it turns out Angolemme is the more traditional Italian name for Angoulême. The foreignness of his surname is perhaps an interesting hint at the establishment of a new dynasty in Italy- one that seems like it might veer into a Reformist agenda. It’ll be interesting to see how far that’s allowed to go before the pope himself decides to lead an army north.

It’ll be interesting to see if François II finds himself having to support this Protestant Parma to maintain his influence in Italy if Beatriz leads Milan into the Habsburg camp.
So this is a typo on my part. I thought it was Angoulemme, but you are right! Will fix. Angolemme is the proper translation and now he will be known. As for Parma going Reformist, I’ll say that is very unlikely. We know of Anne’s potential thoughts, but her son has likely received a Catholic education, and on top of that will be needing a bride. Given the need for alliances with Beatriz to soon be over the border, antagonizing the Pope and the Catholic powers in Italy is the last thing she needs to do.

Well, I’m happy Catherine Howard isn’t getting the short end of the stick here, even if Anne should probably have considered her strategy of “bring in a new mistress” a bit more carefully.

It is funny for Francois I’s wife and mistress to now basically start battling it out in Italy.
Surprisedpikachu.png basically sums up Anne’s dealing re: Catherine. Desperate people do desperate things to hang onto power… even when she likely would’ve been fine regardless.

It will be interesting for sure!

Glad to see another chapter, the death of Francis will certainly herald a new era for France and it's up to Francois II to see what he'll do now that he has to fill in his father's shoes

Glad to see another chapter, the death of Francis will certainly herald a new era for France and it's up to Francois II to see what he'll do now that he has to fill in his father's shoes
François II will have a lot to deal with, re: Italy's uncertain future with the division of Lombardy there. I'd say compared to his father, he's a bit less interested in the allure of Italy: in his mind, the job is done, and he'd rather wash his hands of it. He's more concerned about the dowry he's been cheated out of which has haunted France for nearly twenty years now: Artois and Franche-Comté.

Hopefully one less promiscuous court and with less almighty mistresses.
The tone will definitely be quite different. François II is fond of Anne Boleyn because she served as a mother figure after his own mother died, but at the end of the day she's still the woman who lived in immoral sin with his father... and was a Protestant, to boot. We know that François II is devoted to his wife Isabelle and he hasn't had any mistresses. He's also fairly religious, so the gaiety of French court will take a quick nosedive. People like the Duke of Valentinois who had riotous parties and affairs aren't likely to see this new court as a place for them.

He's more concerned about the dowry he's been cheated out of which has haunted France for nearly twenty years now: Artois and Franche-Comté.
Oh joy, now the French and Imperials can kill one another over the Left bank of the Rhine and the Low countries. Seriously though, looking forward towards what this new dynamic will be, especially if Fran II focuses on internal reforms too

RE: her daughter, unfortunately, no. Legally, the young girl isn’t even her daughter, but rather the daughter of someone who doesn’t even exist. On top of that, she was assigned legal guardians to care for her needs. Given that Francis died scarcely two years later, I’d say the possibility is slim. Once the girl gets a bit older, she’ll likely go into a convent, maybe/maybe not having a suitable marriage arranged later. Given François’ death, it’s likely that the guardians will deal with it—though I suppose they may go cap in hand to the new king to ensure the girl has a proper dowry, I think François II would do that, but I can’t see him playing any role in facilitating any sort of reunion. Anne Boleyn was always his surrogate mother of sorts, so I’m sure he took a dim view of Catherine’s short time at court. She does have children with her first husband.
Dang it, but at least the child will be well enough cared for
Indeed, I’m unsure if she will formally reappear in a chapter, but perhaps in a vignette. Sort of like Marguerite de Valois, Catherine is the first woman to formally publish her own memoirs.
I can settle for a vignette <3

François II will have a lot to deal with, re: Italy's uncertain future with the division of Lombardy there. I'd say compared to his father, he's a bit less interested in the allure of Italy: in his mind, the job is done, and he'd rather wash his hands of it. He's more concerned about the dowry he's been cheated out of which has haunted France for nearly twenty years now: Artois and Franche-Comté.
I see the wars between France and Burgundy will go on for a while longer. I'm voting for France in this scenario.
Oh joy, now the French and Imperials can kill one another over the Left bank of the Rhine and the Low countries. Seriously though, looking forward towards what this new dynamic will be, especially if Fran II focuses on internal reforms too
Senseless fighting over provinces that has been contested since the days of Charles the Bold, let's goooo!

I see the wars between France and Burgundy will go on for a while longer. I'm voting for France in this scenario.
Me too, the great majority of TLs I've read rarely have a French Low countries unless it's Napoleon conquering it or something, would be a nice change of pace having them fully win there for once(even if it'll be difficult and take a while).

Nah, down with the Valois! They’ve been too succesful already ttl
Sorry Habsburg fans, but this is the real world: the centralized and most populous kingdom conquers the rich provinces.

Me too, the great majority of TLs I've read rarely have a French Low countries unless it's Napoleon conquering it or something, would be a nice change of pace having them fully win there for once(even if it'll be difficult and take a while).
I think mainly because France's borders were long static during the Ancién Regime, even if there were desires to take more territories.

As for Anno, My lips are sealed. I'll say this: François II is likely to get what he's desiring, but at the cost of something much greater.

Nah, down with the Valois! They’ve been too succesful already ttl
Mm, I don't think I'd say that. They've suffered from set backs, and I'd say their grip on Italy has always been much more tenuous compared to Charles V's. Plus, lbr, if we read OTL history of this time, we'd call it a Habsburg wank and totally improbable. 😉

Sorry Habsburg fans, but this is the real world: the centralized and most populous kingdom conquers the rich provinces.
I agree with this to extent... but let's just say it also depends on the how said state functions, and sometimes other problems can preclude said conquests. Even Louis XIV had his set backs. And perhaps there shall one day be a kingdom that borders France that will be it's rival. Not today or tomorrow, of course...

Mm, I don't think I'd say that. They've suffered from set backs, and I'd say their grip on Italy has always been much more tenuous compared to Charles V's. Plus, lbr, if we read OTL history of this time, we'd call it a Habsburg wank and totally improbable. 😉
What do you mean that it’s a Habsburg wank? Just because the French king randomly got captured and had to sign a humiliating peace? And then his grandsons all died young throwing the kingdom into a succession crisis that spilled over into a religious war and threw France into chaos for like a generation? I don’t see it 🙃
I agree with this to extent... but let's just say it also depends on the how said state functions, and sometimes other problems can preclude said conquests. Even Louis XIV had his set backs. And perhaps there shall one day be a kingdom that borders France that will be it's rival. Not today or tomorrow, of course...
Is Spain about to bring the pain?